Walking out of MSG | The Boneyard

Walking out of MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I heard a lot of NC State fans mocking UCONN for being stuck in the Big East. I hate to admit it really stung.

Reaction Score
The natural retort of course is to ask what this school has done in the last 3 decades?

Reaction Score
There were a lot of NC State fans there. I would say they had more fans in the building then we did. I wouldnt be surprised if NC State bought a bunch of tickets and sold them at a loss just to get as many people in MSG as possible since Jimmy V was their coach and it would look bad if they had a poor showing.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I didn't hear that, but I would have said something like "dude, 1983, get real"

Reaction Score
I heard a lot of NC State fans mocking UCONN for being stuck in the Big East. I hate to admit it really stung.

I can imagine - wouldn't like hearing that either, although I'm not entirely sure the ACC is even something to crow about these days.

Reaction Score
There were a lot more UConn fans, but States ugly red colors stand out.

This. I'd say 60-40 UConn fans.

Didn't hear any derogatory comments from NCState fans.

Reaction Score
I didn't hear that, but I would have said something like "dude, 1983, get real"

yes exactly thats what I would have said I also would have said something like your championship is going to the sweet sixteen which is once every 8-10 years

Reaction Score
There's NO way we'll be stuck for long. Now Warde needs to give Ollie his extension so we can maintain momentum in men's basketball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well for such a pitiful team, people sure get excited when they beat us, even in a down year. Well now that the JimmyV tournament is over they can go back to being the North Carolina team that no one cares about.

Tucker

Free Beer!..... Yesterday
Reaction Score
I was at the game and quite frankly I was disappointed in the low number of UConn fans. This is exactly the type of thing the ACC and Big 10 will look at on delivering NY market. I would say 50/50 UConn to State fans but State seemed louder. I sat in sec 224 for first half and 105 for second half. Was way to easy to move down as there were way too many empty seats. Ticket prices were reasonable and the trains make it convenient. Have we really lost interest? Hope? I don't know but I came away with great concern....

Reaction Score
Listen whoever planed this event did a poor job. Tuesday night that is terrible. It would have been packed if they did it on a Saturday. I would have went if it was on a weekend in a heartbeat. For most people it isn't easy to go to NYC on a Tuesday night at 9:00.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I was at the game and quite frankly I was disappointed in the low number of UConn fans. This is exactly the type of thing the ACC and Big 10 will look at on delivering NY market. I would say 50/50 UConn to State fans but State seemed louder. I sat in sec 224 for first half and 105 for second half. Was way to easy to move down as there were way too many empty seats. Ticket prices were reasonable and the trains make it convenient. Have we really lost interest? Hope? I don't know but I came away with great concern....

Usually the weekday MSG games do not bring the "huge UConn" crowd - at least from what I have seen over the years. Weekend games do better, and it does seem like some of the Huskymania has declined since the 90's/early 2000's (unless its a Big East Tournament Championship - like 2011).

Reaction Score
Husky mania has declined because the university does a lousy job of marketing and roping people in. Not enough hype.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It was a Jimmy V event. Natural the university and NCS fans would come out to support the event. It doesn't reflect poorly on UConn fans imo. Furthermore NCS has a great team and fans buying the tickets did not expect the team to go to MSG with two losses.

I though it was great that thought of hooking up UConn with NCS because of Valvono's coaching experience at UConn.

As an aside there are people who like to taunt because they don't know how win graciously. They'll always look for the thing that we are most sensitive with. So naturally the recent rejection by the ACC was the perfect thing to taunt a Uconn fan. Ignore these people. That action is not worthy of any UConn fan's attention.

Reaction Score
Usually the weekday MSG games do not bring the "huge UConn" crowd - at least from what I have seen over the years. Weekend games do better, and it does seem like some of the Huskymania has declined since the 90's/early 2000's (unless its a Big East Tournament Championship - like 2011).

For those of us that have to work during the week, a 9:30 start in NYC is ridiculous. This game ended at 11:40. It's 2.5 hrs back to the Hartford area - getting out of the Garden, get through the city and then head home. In bed at 3:00 a.m., up at 5:30 a.m. Who's going to be alert with 2 1/2 hrs of sleep? Not me.

I would have liked to go to the game and then take today off, but we are really busy trying to get all sorts of work done before the virtual shut-down after Christmas.

7:00 pm start - we're there. Weekend game (not Sunday night) - we're there. Tuesday game, 9:30 - nope. I hate the abuse of fans by the media that controls the start times.

Reaction Score

This is very true. I remember the Georgia Tech game in early December 2003 at MSG. It was packed with Duke and GT fans, very few UConn fans. The game against Andrew Bogut and Utah was an absolute morgue. And that team had Emeka Okafor, Charlie Villanueva, Ben Gordon, etc. Plenty of star power.

Reaction Score
Relax people. NCState rarely gets a chance to play in NYC at MSG so obviously they will have a good turnout. There were plenty of UConn fans there - far more than Georgetown and equal to if not slightly more than NCState. Yes, NCState made more noise, but that was just a result of the way the game ebbed and flowed.

Also we were the only school with our band and cheerleaders there - which certainly sent a message about our program. Read Andy Katz's blog today - he mentions the solid UConn turnout.

There are a ton of college basketball tournaments in NYC and none of them are more than half full (except for the Kentucky-Maryland game this year which was the first college game at Barclays Center). It is no indictment on the UConn fanbase.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Well for such a pitiful team, people sure get excited when they beat us, even in a down year. Well now that the JimmyV tournament is over they can go back to being the North Carolina team that no one cares about.

Wake Forest resents this statement.

Tucker

Free Beer!..... Yesterday
Reaction Score
I wonder what time the NC State fans got home? Just sayin... I get it Tuesday night. I get it 9:30. Fair points but don't we play st johns during the week? By the way it was poorly organized. Buddy I was with came in from rhode island and desperately searched for some t-shirts for is boys and never found anything, as in zero vendors. Not the most efficient way to raise money for charity.... I think a previous poster nailed it saying 'mania has died down a bit. I'm hoping we get it back... I made the trip to show support for Kevin and co.

Reaction Score
I wonder what time the NC State fans got home? Just sayin... I get it Tuesday night. I get it 9:30. Fair points but don't we play st johns during the week? By the way it was poorly organized. Buddy I was with came in from rhode island and desperately searched for some t-shirts for is boys and never found anything, as in zero vendors. Not the most efficient way to raise money for charity.... I think a previous poster nailed it saying 'mania has died down a bit. I'm hoping we get it back... I made the trip to show support for Kevin and co.

Yes - that pissed me off too. Was looking for some UConn gear. Could not find it anywhere in or around MSG.

Reaction Score

Mania has died down compared to when? As I said, last night looked like more of a crowd than the UConn games against Georgia Tech and Utah back in the 2004 championship year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom