Walker and UConn. | The Boneyard

Walker and UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im looking at UConn next season with the 2 transfers and adding Walker. Its a no brainier for a NC, if thats what Walker wants. I think she does and I have no inside information. Its just a hunch. To become successful you must pay a huge price, you must pay it in advance and there are no guarantees. Playing for Geno, well these comments are true. When Stevens transfered from Duke it was said she was coming to UConn to win a NC. I think most people involved in Womens BB know that. There is only one number 1 and thats Geno and UConn. Geno is the very best in developing young women into great people and great BB players. The development is not about who you are...but about what you become through your 4 year journey at UConn. At UConn its all about winning NCs and the development process is tuff, and its worth it. It isnt easy going through hell and back every single day at practice but the end result of what you become both on and off the court makes it all worth it for the rest of your life. Winning is a habit unfortunately so is losing. At UConn losing isnt an option because of the work put in, in advance, it very seldom happens.

As good as some other teams are this season they will not be as well prepared to do battle with UConn. The reason is because they will not do what Geno demands from his players and staff. Its called dedication. It took Geno and Chris almost 20 years to get to where their teams are today. Theyve weeded out the nonsense and the negative attitudes and built something that others will not be able to catch up to. Just when some fans were concerned and doubting Geno and why he wasnt getting certain players was because they did not know what was hanging in the thoughts of transfers... here we are with Butler Stevens and Batouley (spelling). Not bad pick ups huh. Yeah UConn is still the team to beat, still the number 1 draw in WCBB and they will remain there.

Reaction Score
I like your analysis and I think that Walker would benefit from UConn coaching. She will also be a huge factor in us getting multiple championships. But she has been to campus twice already and did not commit. Typically UConn recruits commit early, when it comes down to the final 2 or 3, we do not do so well :(. Plus a lot of times the final visit is to the school at the top of their list, which in this case is Notre Dame. I doubt that we get her in a UConn uniform.

Reaction Score
Im looking at UConn next season with the 2 transfers and adding Walker. Its a no brainier for a NC, if thats what Walker wants. I think she does and I have no inside information. Its just a hunch. To become successful you must pay a huge price, you must pay it in advance and there are no guarantees. Playing for Geno, well these comments are true. When Stevens transfered from Duke it was said she was coming to UConn to win a NC. I think most people involved in Womens BB know that. There is only one number 1 and thats Geno and UConn. Geno is the very best in developing young women into great people and great BB players. The development is not about who you are...but about what you become through your 4 year journey at UConn. At UConn its all about winning NCs and the development process is tuff, and its worth it. It isnt easy going through hell and back every single day at practice but the end result of what you become both on and off the court makes it all worth it for the rest of your life. Winning is a habit unfortunately so is losing. At UConn losing isnt an option because of the work put in, in advance, it very seldom happens.

As good as some other teams are this season they will not be as well prepared to do battle with UConn. The reason is because they will not do what Geno demands from his players and staff. Its called dedication. It took Geno and Chris almost 20 years to get to where their teams are today. Theyve weeded out the nonsense and the negative attitudes and built something that others will not be able to catch up to. Just when some fans were concerned and doubting Geno and why he wasnt getting certain players was because they did not know what was hanging in the thoughts of transfers... here we are with Butler Stevens and Batouley (spelling). Not bad pick ups huh. Yeah UConn is still the team to beat, still the number 1 draw in WCBB and they will remain there.
Some Java & a bit of Tonyc to start a weekend...does it get much better?

Reaction Score
When Stevens transfered from Duke it was said she was coming to UConn to win a NC. .
I like your analysis, but just to be clear. I think that's the claim that AZ's aggrieved coach imputed, not her. I think she said something about using the next two years for her maximum basketball development.... I think....I think....

Reaction Score
I like your analysis and I think that Walker would benefit from UConn coaching. She will also be a huge factor in us getting multiple championships. But she has been to campus twice already and did not commit. Typically UConn recruits commit early, when it comes down to the final 2 or 3, we do not do so well :(. Plus a lot of times the final visit is to the school at the top of their list, which in this case is Notre Dame. I doubt that we get her in a UConn uniform.

In this case, it might be different. I think she wants to meet her future teammates who also have their officials the same day. She is friends with Lexi Gordon. After the visit, we'll know. Either she cancels the visit to ND and commits or she will go to ND...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just to be fair, if you look at teams who are positioning themselves to win NC's in the next few years, ND has to be at the top of the list. Sure UCONN has the track record, but Muffet has put together quite the squad. Perhaps she feels less confident about landing Walker which is why they have been also looking at Westbrook out of Oregon, but I have no idea. There are other teams near the top (not just next year, but years after) who I don't think are quite were ND is, but they are very close (but I'm sure their fans may disagree). SC and Baylor for example - big favorites IMHO to make the final 4 over the next 3 years.

My point is that Walker does not have to go to UCONN if she "really" wants to win NC's. Depending on how UCONN recruits in the absence of her, ND could be positioning themselves as THE team to beat 2-3 years out.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it's possible that Megan visits ND and still commits to UConn. We'll see.

For those of you watching the Olympics, many of the people with the gold medals (and others) went through a training program that was akin to playing for Geno. I'm thinking that Michael Phelps worked at least as hard as Stewie. For those who don't know the way, Geno will guide you. The result: the best person and player you can be; championships; the UConn family; and home cooking from Kathy and Nonna.

Reaction Score
In this case, it might be different. I think she wants to meet her future teammates who also have their officials the same day. She is friends with Lexi Gordon. After the visit, we'll know. Either she cancels the visit to ND and commits or she will go to ND...

I think she is going to take all her visits regardless of where she eventually commits. I have said from the beginning that I think she is a big ND lean and I still feel that way.

Reaction Score
Just to be fair, if you look at teams who are positioning themselves to win NC's in the next few years, ND has to be at the top of the list. Sure UCONN has the track record, but Muffet has put together quite the squad. Perhaps she feels less confident about landing Walker which is why they have been also looking at Westbrook out of Oregon, but I have no idea. There are other teams near the top (not just next year, but years after) who I don't think are quite were ND is, but they are very close (but I'm sure their fans may disagree). SC and Baylor for example - big favorites IMHO to make the final 4 over the next 3 years.

My point is that Walker does not have to go to UCONN if she "really" wants to win NC's. Depending on how UCONN recruits in the absence of her, ND could be positioning themselves as THE team to beat 2-3 years out.

We are talking about 2017 when Walker's class starts. Then ND is NOT at the top of the list. You can visit their site to see that they themselves put UConn back at the top with two transfers, Lou, Pheese, Nurse, Dangerfield and co. That is a formidable team on paper with no apparent weaknesses. Walker would make that invincible. ON PAPER.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
We are talking about 2017 when Walker's class starts. Then ND is NOT at the top of the list. You can visit their site to see that they themselves put UConn back at the top with two transfers, Lou, Pheese, Nurse, Dangerfield and co. That is a formidable team on paper with no apparent weaknesses. Walker would make that invincible. ON PAPER.
On paper, ND will also be very good in 2017, especially if Megan Walker commits to the Irish this fall. In Fall 2017, ND will have Brianna Turner, Katherine Westbeld, Marina Mabrey, Arike Ogunbowale, Ali Patberg, Erin Boley, Jackie Young, plus any other recruits Muffet picks up this fall (Megan Walker?, Danielle Patterson? etc.) The teams may be close enough that Walker's commitment could be the tipping point.

Also, what some of our fans say has NO impact on what Muffet and the team think about their chances in 2017-18. In fact, I doubt the Irish women are looking that far ahead. Only fans (or potential recruits) factor that in, and of course the coaches must plan for the future as well.

Reaction Score
On paper, ND will also be very good in 2017, especially if Megan Walker commits to the Irish this fall. In Fall 2017, ND will have Brianna Turner, Katherine Westbeld, Marina Mabrey, Arike Ogunbowale, Ali Patberg, Erin Boley, Jackie Young, plus any other recruits Muffet picks up this fall (Megan Walker?, Danielle Patterson? etc.) The teams may be close enough that Walker's commitment could be the tipping point.

Also, what some of our fans say has NO impact on what Muffet and the team think about their chances in 2017-18. In fact, I doubt the Irish women are looking that far ahead. Only fans (or potential recruits) factor that in, and of course the coaches must plan for the future as well.

ND is definitely right up there, with one glaring weakness: depth in the post. If they can get a highly rated post for backup, then they are 1 or 1A again.

Reaction Score
Who has the best team in 2017 is so uncertain. I just know that, regardless of what Walker does, UConn looks fearful, when you factor Kia and Gabby (and Natalie) in their senior years, and Lou and Napheesa as juniors, plus the two super transfers. That's a frightening line-up, and certainly no team will be better.

But I agree with TitleTown that we shouldn't read anything into the fact, were Megan to take all her visits. She's clearly giving herself the gift of being patient, of gathering all the facts and testing her own feelings.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
ND is definitely right up there, with one glaring weakness: depth in the post. If they can get a highly rated post for backup, then they are 1 or 1A again.
Actually, our depth in the post will not be much different than this year, and may be better with influx of freshmenin 2017. We only graduate one post (Diamond Thompson), and she never plays except in the last couple minutes of games. The other post, Kristina Nelson, redshirted because a shoulder issue caused her to miss her entire sophomore campaign. Thus, if she has a good year this season, she will probably be back for a 5th year. And if she performs poorly, then we're not losing anything if she leaves a year of eligibility on the table.

For 2017, ND already has a commitment from 6'3" F Mikayla Vaughn and we're still recruiting 6'3" F Danielle Patterson, who is ranked 38th in Prospects Nation, but much higher in the other services (11th in Hoopgurlz, 10th in Blue Star, and in the top 10 by ASGR). ND is also recruiting Lauryn Miller (daughter an Irish football player). I have no idea where we stand on LaDahzia Williams or Jade Williams.

Presently we start Katherine Westbeld as a smallish 4, and Erin Boley (incoming freshman) is actually taller. We graduated all perimeter players last year, and while we lost Taya Reimer to transfer, she barely played last season (5 games, 93 minutes total). We should be pretty good the next two years.

Reaction Score
Since 1996 there has been a handful of players that were head and shoulders above everyone else. They won Regular Season and Conference Tournament Titles. Player of the Year Awards but they also lead their teams to multiple National Championships. These players were Chamiqua Holdsclaw, Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Candace Parker, Maya Moore and Breanna Stewart! There were other players who were great players and were AAs, Leiberman winners and POY awards. They made teammates better, they lead by example and when needed put the teams on their backs and won NC. They were led by the 2 greatest coaches in WCBB History! I dont Know if Megan Walker is that type of player. Will have to wait and see how her college career goes. This is the year for someone else to win the NC but do not count out Uconn in March with that coaching staff! Because even if Walker goes somewhere else. Uconn should win the NC in 2018 with the experience and Camara and Stevens. JMHO, Stevens can be that type of player like the 6 listed above but she has to go out and do it first. Also JPM knows this from Duke that is why she got all over Geno about transfers. She knows he will make her reach her potential and win a NC. 2 things she cant do!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like your analysis, but just to be clear. I think that's the claim that AZ's aggrieved coach imputed, not her. I think she said something about using the next two years for her maximum basketball development.... I think....I think....

That's correct and I don't see her leaving early if she wants to maximize the learning. 3 years of UConn training and two years of playing. Pretty good recipe for success for a transferee from Coach P's program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Notre Dame will be good, however barring an awesome recruiting class they will not be a serious contender for a NC.

Checkmate- - - I agree with you 100%! ND will not win a Nat'l Championship! As long as Geno & staff get top recruits he'll always outcoach The Muffet! ND doesn't work as hard as UCONN does and they never will under The Muffet! If ND did work as hard or harder than UCONN with the players they've had they would have won at least 2 Championships vs TXa&m & Baylor, back-to-back!
Even when they beat UCONN on that streak The Muffet fell short of winning the Big One!
If Geno & staff had those same players ND had he'd have won Championship's with them!

Reaction Score
Well like I stated before, if Megan Walker was going to choose UConn she would have done it by now. During her ND visit I feel she will give her verbal. :(

Reaction Score
Checkmate- - - I agree with you 100%! ND will not win a Nat'l Championship! As long as Geno & staff get top recruits he'll always outcoach The Muffet! ND doesn't work as hard as UCONN does and they never will under The Muffet! If ND did work as hard or harder than UCONN with the players they've had they would have won at least 2 Championships vs TXa&m & Baylor, back-to-back!
Even when they beat UCONN on that streak The Muffet fell short of winning the Big One!
If Geno & staff had those same players ND had he'd have won Championship's with them!
Outside of Diggins, and I guess Loyd (though Diggins and Loyd never played together), no one on those team that beat UConn were rated in the Top 10 coming out of HS. UConn still had more "talent". How did they not "work" hard?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Patberg, Boley, Dangerfield, Young, Bent, Patterson, Walker, Gordon, Coombs, etc., etc., etc.

That's a lot of tea leaves, tarot cards, hunches, guesses, and message board speculation -- especially when you consider two facts:

Not one of those named has taken a shot, let alone scored a point, at the D1 wcbb level; and,

Few prognosticators have actually seen more than a few of the HS players named.
But it sure is fun.:)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Patberg, Boley, Dangerfield, Young, Bent, Patterson, Walker, Gordon, Coombs, etc., etc., etc.

That's a lot of tea leaves, tarot cards, hunches, guesses, and message board speculation -- especially when you consider two facts:

Not one of those named has taken a shot, let alone scored a point, at the D1 wcbb level; and,

Few prognosticators have actually seen more than a few of the HS players named.
But it sure is fun.:)
and Butler has been with UConn for 2yrs (redshirt/available) and some are still waiting on her to show us those Hoya-like numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom