Walker and UConn. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Walker and UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's ungracious and probably flat out wrong to suggest that the ND squad works less hard than that of UConn.
During the period of ND dominance, they clearly had less overall talent, yet still prevailed.
Let's give them credit for their superlative accomplishment.

msf22b- - - It's a personal thing that's been bothering me for years where ND people think ND's program is better than or equal to UCONN's program! When in the real world UCONN has 11 NC and ND has 1 and in every comparison 34-11 wins, UCONN's ahead, Conference Championships, etc.! Also the feeling that The Muffet is as good a coach or better than Geno! Close but no cigar!
It's like (and I don't want to p--s off Red Sox fans) at NYY vs Red Sox games, the Red Sox fans scream, "The Yankees Suck, The Yankees Suck!" When in the real world if the Red Sox were to win the next 18 World Series in a row they can only tie the Yankees 27 Titles! So I guess the Red Sox fans want to suck as much as the Yankees do!
If I upset people on this board I'm sorry, but it really bothers me when people take credit for something they haven't accomplished! And I do understand that being a FAN makes a person a FANATIC but there still should be a reality check before stuff is said!
Another small example is a couple of years ago the SoCar fans on THE BONEYARD were telling us they're going to kick UCONN's butt and blah, blah! Then they played and UCONN won by 25+ points and SoCar fans said wait till we get you at our place, and no surprise, UCONN won by 25+ points again!
If you haven't been to the mountain top, please don't preach!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jumping into this is probably nuts, but here goes.

By any rational measure, ND has NOT been as good as UConn. Then again, no one has, not ever in the history of WCBB, and few teams, professional or amateur in the history of Western sports, at least not since Spartan amateurism gave way to Greek athletic professionalism in the late 4th century BCE.

But we should nonetheless greatly admire ND. They play a great, great brand of basketball. They're extremely well-coached, very tough, and always highly competitive. If you are defined by the adversaries you defeat, then there is no greater compliment to UConn than to say that its program has been better than ND's. There's plenty of glory to go around.

Let's unite behind all the great programs in WCBB and against the idiots who denigrate the game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Show me ONE example of that.
I give you two quick examples :

1) MM: :"We got used to beating UCONN"
2) Skylar Diggins: "We overcome the intimidation factor that was UCONN"

Of course both those were in 2013 and mostly crickets from ND since.

Reaction Score
Uconn can not be dethroned this year because they have not won anything. Notre Dame beat them 7 out of 8 and they deserve that recognition. Are there other teams that work like Connecticut,I dont know but Doris Burke has seen many teams practices and she says no. Until 1999 Tennessee was the best programm in WCBB because they earned it. From 2000 Connecticut is the best program and remains so. They are the best program of all time and Geno has cemented his place as the best coach of all time. Before people argue about Pat Summit being the best. Head to head Uconn 13 to 9 with Tennessee winning the last 3. Pats record in NC games is 8-5 which is really good! Geno is 11-0 in NC which is just amazing! The difference between Pat and Geno is Connectcut 4 and Tenn.0 in National Championship Games. Once the games over the final score is all that matters.All the rest is just part of the game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Uconn can not be dethroned this year because they have not won anything.
So this Championship trophy that Moriah, Stewie and Morgan is holding up is what? Fake? Stolen? Borrowed? The shirts, a misprint? The four fingers must be some kind of gang sign?

11846609.jpeg

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So this Championship trophy that Moriah, Stewie and Morgan is holding up is what? Fake? Stolen? Borrowed? The shirts, a misprint? The four fingers must some kind of gang sign?

hqdefault.jpg

looks like the Four Horseman hand signal to me otherwise known as the "symbol of excellence"

I expect Morgan, Moriah, and Breanna to put the boots to Sting any day now. ;)

Reaction Score
I give you two quick examples :

1) MM: :"We got used to beating UCONN"
2) Skylar Diggins: "We overcome the intimidation factor that was UCONN"

Of course both those were in 2013 and mostly crickets from ND since.

Geez, after beating UConn 7 out of 8 times they weren't intimidated?? OMG, I can't believe we didn't have a witch burning.

Reaction Score
So this Championship trophy that Moriah, Stewie and Morgan is holding up is what? Fake? Stolen? Borrowed? The shirts, a misprint? The four fingers must be some kind of gang sign?

11846609.jpeg
Actually what I said is something Geno told the players when practice started this year. We are not defending anything. Nobody is taking that away from us. That is our trophy. This is a new year with a new team. Those 3 great players are showing they are the 2016 NC and the 4 fingers are 4 NC in a row. If you have a problem with what I said. It is just something Geno said and I agree with him. So send your reply to him. It is a new year with anew team,common sense. What I said is about the new year also.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actually what I said is something Geno told the players when practice started this year. We are not defending anything. Nobody is taking that away from us. That is our trophy. This is a new year with a new team. Those 3 great players are showing they are the 2016 NC and the 4 fingers are 4 NC in a row. If you have a problem with what I said. It is just something Geno said and I agree with him. So send your reply to him. It is a new year with anew team,common sense. What I said is about the new year also.
What you said that I had a problem has already been quoted and is clearly not accurate. Please go back and read what you wrote. What you think you might have said, what Geno said , and what you actually "wrote" are at least three different things-maybe four. I don't know Geno like that to take this up with him!
Hint: Unless you are using an alternate calendar we are still in 2016.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geez, after beating UConn 7 out of 8 times they weren't intimidated?? OMG, I can't believe we didn't have a witch burning.
We did have witch burning. It was the 2013 NC Semi-final game. It didn't get more torturous for ND than than. After all, "ND was not supposed to be intimidated".

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will be good, however barring an awesome recruiting class they will not be a serious contender for a NC.
I disagree. U Conn was getting top recruits for years. The Irish just started getting them in the last 5 years and they went from never beating the Huskies except in 2001 to beating them 3 times in one year and a few more times in the tournament. I think they work just as hard. They might not get yelled at as much lol. Stewart was the reason for the recent success. Without her they might not of won any titles in her 4 years. U Conn would of been in big trouble losing Stewart and Tuck and Geno knew it. Thats why he went against his norm and picked up 3 transfers to fill the void. Without them they had no height. The game is changing. Other teams are getting blue chips to. Not just U Conn. They got a few years head start but the gap is closing. I truly think those multiple titles and undefeated back to back seasons are gone. Parity is the future of the women's game. Turner can hang with Stevens. I take Boley and Westbeld over Camara and Butler all day long. And i like N.D. guards better as well. Why do you think that they have no shot and U Conn will be so much better then them ?

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had might as well chime in. Though I think Skylar was a diva, she was and is a good player. (I also thought she was the most improved player in the WNBA before her injury.) More than being talented, she gave ND the confidence that they could beat UConn. That, combined with good coaching, their style of play, familiarity with the Huskies, some UConn weaknesses, and a little luck, helped ND to beat UConn 7 times in 8 games. No other teams had that level of confidence.

ND played a well-designed offense that created problems for UConn. They also played tough defense (as the scratches on UConn players demonstrated). The big problem for UConn, starting with Maya's last collegiate game, was stopping the dribble penetration. Once ND saw that vulnerability, they exploited it. I give them credit for the strategy and for shooting a high percentage on FTs. What ND did was to put the game into the hands of the refs to make the calls against UConn. Particularly during the stretch of 7 wins, ND got their share of calls. Many of the calls were good, as the ND player caused the UConn defender to foul. Some of the calls, particularly when Novosel was involved, were unfathomable. Flipping the ball toward the basket and falling down when there was little to no conduct was a poor was to play basketball. But if it worked and it was the best way to win, I understand it. UConn needed to defend better and also hope that the refs would call only the legitimate fouls.

ND beat UConn 7 out of 8. That's a fact. I believe that 5 or 6 of those 7 wins were 50-50 games that came down to the last possession and/or went to overtime. Kudos to ND for being mentally tough and able to win those tight games, something no one else could do.

It's also a fact that ND's last win over UConn was more than 3 seasons ago. Once the Big 3 got on a roll, neither ND nor almost anyone else could beat them. The question going forward is: How many times can ND beat UConn? Was that stretch of 8 games the anomaly? Was the reign of the Big 3 the anomaly? Keep in mind that Stanford is the only team that has a player who has played in a game that UConn has lost.

I think that ND has top 2-3 talent and coaching. I look for them to be our primary competitor, more than Baylor, South Carolina, or anyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat us at least once over the next 3-4 years, especially if they sign Megatron. But I think we beat them more than half the time over the next 4 years.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I disagree. U Conn was getting top recruits for years. The Irish just started getting them in the last 5 years and they went from never beating the Huskies except in 2001 to beating them 3 times in one year and a few more times in the tournament. I think they work just as hard. They might not get yelled at as much lol. Stewart was the reason for the recent success. Without her they might not of won any titles in her 4 years. U Conn would of been in big trouble losing Stewart and Tuck and Geno knew it. Thats why he went against his norm and picked up 3 transfers to fill the void. Without them they had no height. The game is changing. Other teams are getting blue chips to. Not just U Conn. They got a few years head start but the gap is closing. I truly think those multiple titles and undefeated back to back seasons are gone. Parity is the future of the women's game. Turner can hang with Stevens. I take Boley and Westbeld over Camara and Butler all day long. And i like N.D. guards better as well. Why do you think that they have no shot and U Conn will be so much better then them ?

I guess thats why they lost in the elite 8 last year! ND should worry about who is in front of them game to game. They are not in the same world as Uconn. They have won 11 NCs, I don't believe Stewart was on those teams and I think if you go back and watch she wasn't the reason they won the 4 NCs. After all, why not just go play 1 on 1 and forget about this team stuff right. As far as height goes, Uconn could field a team of 6', 6' 3", 6', 6'1" and 6' 5" this year without the 2 transfers and play ND zone with 4 guarding your 3 shooters, and Butler standing in the paint, all 6' and above, so wondering what the height comment has to do with anything.

When ND wins a few, then you can act like you're someone, but when you didn't even make the final 4 last year, I find that a little wishful thinking.

I certainly wish we Bruins had the same problems as you think Uconn have LOL.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Welcome. About ND beating UCONN 3 times in one year, Stewart was in those games also. BS was great but she was hardly singular. In the 4 years she wore a UCONN uniform she had 5 teammates that were or became All-American players (Dolson, Hartley, Jefferson, Mosqueta-Lewis, & Tuck). BTW BS did not leave the UCONN cupboard bare. So while you would take Boley & Westbeld over Camara & Butler. For this year I would take:
Butler over Thompson or Nelson
Dangerfield over Allen or Patberg
KLS over Boley or Westbeld
Nurse over Obungwale or Mabrey
Chong or Bent over Johnson
Jackie Young has great Potential so I'm rating equal to Collier.
Turner is best PF on either team.
The UCONN wild card will be Gabby Williams.

Other teams have always had blue chips players. The game is not changing beyond the capacity of Geno and his staff to recruit & develop elite players and win championships. Azura Stevens, Kia Nurse and KLS might already be elite players that will only get better @ UCONN. More UCONN players will reach this same status. Other teams have always believed the gap is closing, they have to believe that right? Otherwise why play the season. UCONN believes in pursuing excellence-EVERY YEAR! Parity? That is just something other teams trick themselves into believing just in case the gap hasn't closed as much as they thought. Even if there is parity like you are proposing, the shelf life of said parity is 1 WCBB season.

Reaction Score
Well this thread has run its course. Time to be locked.
I don't always agree with you, vowelguy, but when I do.... slurp, slurp!

If we can't stay on topic, which is Ms. Walker, can't we just move along? And, really, what is there possible to say about her at this point?

Only 12 hours to the U.S. Olympic women play in the quarterfinals.....Let's all think about that, hold hands, and sing "Kumbaya.'

Reaction Score
It's ungracious and probably flat out wrong to suggest that the ND squad works less hard than that of UConn.
During the period of ND dominance, they clearly had less overall talent, yet still prevailed.
Let's give them credit for their superlative accomplishment.

msf22b- - -I'm not the original person that said ND works less hard than UCONN! As I quoted previously Doris Burke said "No one practices harder than UCONN, not even close!" And Doris has seen most successful Div. I teams practice for preparation for her announcer job! So she's seen ND practice as well as seeing UCONN and afterwards she states, "No one practices harder than UCONN, not even close!"
And I'd take Doris Burke's knowledge over yours any day of the week!

Reaction Score
Whether Geno & UCONN get Miss Walker or not, Geno has a great track record of signing players not heavily recruited and turns them into very good players and even All-Americans and Players of the Year! Kara Wolters, Kelly Faris, Stef Dolson, Jamille Elliot, Tiffany Hayes, just to name a few. So as much as I'm hoping Miss Walker joins the Huskies, I can't wait to see which players wind up as great players after not being thought of as talented by most of the Div. I coaches!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Both teams work hard. Players on both teams work hard. At UConn Geno has them working a different kind of hard. Genos philosophies are different then other coaches. Just like Wooden and Lombardi. Genos ways of teaching and developing are different. To make a comparison. I see golfers hitting 300-500 balls a day. Some rise to the top and others dont. Why? IMO its because of the teacher and his or her ability to communicate with their student/player and get them to their next level. IMO Geno has done that better then anyone because he not only gets them and maybe not all of them to their next level but he does it in a team concept. Practice doesnt make perfect. Practicing with the proper coaching and leadership does. There are alot of good coaches out there. However there is the next level and thats Genos level.

Reaction Score
, Geno has a great track record of signing players not heavily recruited and turns them into very good players and even All-Americans and Players of the Year! Kara Wolters, Kelly Faris, Stef Dolson, Jamille Elliot, Tiffany Hayes, just to name a few. !

Lol.
Faris, Dolson, and Hayes were top 20 players in HS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom