Villanova Ranked 4th in FCS Preseason Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a must win for a few reasons.
(1) Bobby D needs it
(2) most of whatever fan base is left will head for the doors if we lose
(3) this validates the program Diaco has put in place
(4) if we don't win this game or the next week, what do you think our record in the first 5 games will be against Missouri and BYU on the road or Navy? Then what will happen in terms of belief by players, fans and administration?

When Danny O was a freshman, we stunk. We were 2-4 in our first 6 games of his sophomore year before we turned it around. The difference is we aren't building around a young QB and the schedule is tougher!
I agree with this. I've been saying for some time that if we lose to Villanova and Army we could easily be wishing to have the same level of success as we had in 2014. I also think that unless Diaco shows some significant progress this year we are in danger of losing the program for a decade or more. You can recover from 5-7 5-7 but 3-9, 2-10, 0-12 is a hole you can't get out of easily.

Last edited:

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
If we were FCS we would not be 4 or 14 or 24 or "also rec'g votes"
Nova is flat out good. Better than Army. First game will be 80 degrees and agita. Toss up game

Reaction Score
Nova guy here. Have been to a bunch of Uconn football games. While not a true fan, I go with fans/alums to catch a game etc. I prefer having the local team be very competitive. Unfortunately, more often than not,that is not the case.
As to Nova, I am looking forward to having a vested interest in the outcome at the Rent. This will be a fun one. I would be surprised to see Nova show up as the underdog. They have the best player on the field and a very good coach. Robertson played most of last year with a cast on his broken no-throwing arm. Made it a very difficult season for a QB whose success is so largely connected to his ability to carry the ball. Given the schools' connection, I would think it is a much more compelling game for you guys than, say, a game against Towson or William and Mary.

Reaction Score
Nova guy here. Have been to a bunch of Uconn football games. While not a true fan, I go with fans/alums to catch a game etc. I prefer having the local team be very competitive. Unfortunately, more often than not,that is not the case.
As to Nova, I am looking forward to having a vested interest in the outcome at the Rent. This will be a fun one. I would be surprised to see Nova show up as the underdog. They have the best player on the field and a very good coach. Robertson played most of last year with a cast on his broken no-throwing arm. Made it a very difficult season for a QB whose success is so largely connected to his ability to carry the ball. Given the schools' connection, I would think it is a much more compelling game for you guys than, say, a game against Towson or William and Mary.

We have now had 15 years to weigh where we were in a FCS schedule & what the next level is & has become.

Robertson might be the "best" player on the field in terms of impact; but, often (even at UConn) we have had far superior athletes at our FBS level (even if they were low 2 stars). We get better players. Example 1A: Byron Jones.

My focus is on the Lines. Our 2003 Line were great players and great kids; but, simply NOT bred for a FBS school. They played to that level. They were not clear guys who can play at the top 30 schools. Villanova may have good FCS lines; in general, few of those kids would have been recruited by us. And, while it is the first game, Depth is the issue at the FBS level. Villanova could not go through 8 games of our schedule without significant attrition and then you'd see a big change in play. I suspect that we can dominate the lines ... given what I think is developing at UConn. Hopefully, our QB does play to a high level. That would be nice.

Diaco has a tough game here. It will be interesting to watch. I do think it is setting up as a must win.

Reaction Score
I'd be thoroughly pissed if we showed up the way we did('nt) when Pasqualoni led us to a convincing defeat vs. Towson... but I just don't see it happening... I have to admit, I'm drinking the koolaid that Diaco's sharing a little ... If he see's a much improved football team then we better excite and show signs on the field that gets us fans optimistic...

Reaction Score
I agree with Pudge's analysis of FBS s FCS level players and if it were just a skills competition the outcome wouldn't be in doubt. I am really concerned about overall coaching though. And whether this gets treated like a game or a scrimmage.

Reaction Score
Hopefully less talk of "win the day" and more actual "win the game". I do expect our lines to be too much for them during the course of the game, but I've watched Nova hold their own in recent years against the likes of Syracuse and BC to know Talley has a good program and will have them prepared and competitive the entire game.

Reaction Score
........And whether this gets treated like a game or a scrimmage.

Diaco's on the clock. He subs like the crazy man he was last season he won't make it out of the season with his job. I really don't think that's likely, but I do think we are going to have our hands full with Nova - big time.

Reaction Score
TyroneShoo said:
How is the Husky D Line? Nova returns some good sized starters.

A strength of the defense. Lots of big bodies.

Reaction Score
What happened at Richmond, Ty?
10-9 in slop test on the road against a team ranked 13 in FCS. Missed extra point. Nova's glaring weakness was their kicking game. See The syracuse game. I hope they addressed that need.
Uconn really has had high level FCS talent. So, it should be a good game if Uconn can figure out how to score.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If we get decent QB play we will win handily.

Of course, we haven't had decent QB play in a while. I, however, remain optimistic we will improve at QB this year.
I'm far more concerned with what the quality of our offensive line play will be (and believe that whether we win or lose will be decided there).

Reaction Score
Tough to run against up the middle. Your Qb ran for 1200 yds. Lots of stuff outside?
Nova QB John Robertson is a talented QB for sure. He doesn't possess a cannon arm, but is very accurate in the spread offense that Nova deploys. He looks like Dennis the Menace, but he'll tear your heart out through the air or on the ground. His running is by design and is definitely part of every game plan. Nova has question marks at RB/WR/TE as they lost key players at those positions along with 2 All-CAA performers on the OL.

I think they are going to be tough defensively where they return 9 starters including FCS tackling machine in MLB Don Cherry (from Trumbull, CT incidentally) Nova plays a 3-3-5 and will go 6-3 250, 6-4 280, 6-7 270 up front.

A very good FCS team is Villanova. They had Syracuse beat last year if they didn't shank a 30 yard FG at the end of regulation and lose in double OT 27-26. Achilles heal is the kicker at Nova. The inability to count on even a successful extra point changed how the staff handled obvious FG opportunities. All 3 losses had missed kicks that were crucial in the losses.

Depth is always a concern where 85 schollies (22 more than Villanova) can take its toll.

Bottom line: there are easier games than FCS #4 Villanova. Is what it is, but no excuses for a FBS home team to not find a way over an FCS team. No matter how good that FCS team may appear to be.

Reaction Score
3-3-5, Yuck! So a little on the light side, I know this would confuse a DeLeone OL. Is it a stack? Do they have a good SS?

Reaction Score
3-3-5, Yuck! So a little on the light side, I know this would confuse a DeLeone OL. Is it a stack? Do they have a good SS?

It is a 3-3-5 stack base concept. Strong safeties are proven FCS vets in Cam McCurry & Matt McCann. LBs & Secondary are deep & experienced. The Nova offense has gotten most of the publicity at this level, but I think the defense will be pretty good given it's veteran and experienced look.

Robertson can be a handful, but they lost some very solid offense in RB Monaghai (in Eagles camp), Leading WR Poppy Livers, & TE Ernest Pettway (in Chiefs camp). They have some big bodies on OL, but they will be trying to replace 2 All CAA performers.

Not a easy FCS opponent on paper.

Reaction Score
Uconn will purposely lose causing dissension in the Nova camp. They will then push for D1 Football and cause the basketball team to take a back seat which will then cause the Big East to fall apart when Nova drops back to a .500 team. Which in turn will allow the AAC to pick up Nova G-Town and St johns also Marquette for fun... also to annoy Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
Villanova Ranked 2nd by Lindy's, Anthlon has them at #4

http://www.vuhoops.com/villanova-fo...ks-villanova-football-second-in-fcs-preseason

Alabama based Lindy's a well respected football magazine picked Cats 2 behind all winning No Dakota St.

Here is what one Nova fan said about the ranking:

"My fear is that national publications are overly impressed because Cats are led by the best QB and best LB in the country. Nova lost a lot of offense. Two very good lineman and a super RB. All three were in NFL camps with Kowalski being signed as an under drafted free agent by the Packers. Lost the QB of the secondary. How do you replace these super players?"

Reaction Score
BugsyCT said:
The line on this game should be interesting - can easily see us being underdogs.

I fully expect to be underdogs. Figure Villanova -2

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There would be no coming back from a L to Nova by our casual fanbase. They will read/listen to the outrage (and jokes) over losing to another FCS team and will write the team off for good. That means season ticket holders only for the entire season. The good news: we can pick our seat location on a game-by-game basis!

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
There would be no coming back from a L to Nova by our casual fanbase. They will read/listen to the outrage (and jokes) over losing to another FCS team and will write the team off for good. That means season ticket holders only for the entire season. The good news: we can pick our seat location on a game-by-game basis!

The casual fan is there for the tailgate. I refuse to call doomsday before September 1 regardless of the outcome. Silly.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The casual fan is there for the tailgate. I refuse to call doomsday before September 1 regardless of the outcome. Silly.

Just pointing out the obvious. Call me Cap'n Obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom