Villanova Ranked 4th in FCS Preseason Poll | The Boneyard

Villanova Ranked 4th in FCS Preseason Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
September 3rd will be a big test. They are lead by Quarterback, John Robertson, Walter Payton Award Winner and Don Cherry Buch Buchanan runner up.

http://www.vuhoops.com/villanova-fo...eseason-polls-sporting-news-puts-north-dakota

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/...rds/2014/stories/2014payton_robertson_tsn.htm

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...uel-wins-buchanan-award-best-defensive-player

A win would be a good win because although FCS, Nova finished 7th in the counrty last year. They lost their opener to Syracuse at the Carrer Dome 27-26 and lost to Richmond 10-9 in Richmond. Hopefully Coach Wayne Lineburg who coached at Richmond from 2010-2013 can get some good info and film from his contacts at Richmond. Villanova lost one more game 34-31 to Sam Houston State in the Div. 1 football Championship. So they were 5 points away from being undeafeated last year.

A win will be significant. A loss will not shock anyone. Bottom line - UCONN has to win this game.

Reaction Score
September 3rd will be a big test. They are lead by Quarterback, John Robertson, Walter Payton Award Winner and Don Cherry Buch Buchanan runner up.

http://www.vuhoops.com/villanova-fo...eseason-polls-sporting-news-puts-north-dakota

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/...rds/2014/stories/2014payton_robertson_tsn.htm

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...uel-wins-buchanan-award-best-defensive-player

A win would be a good win because although FCS, Nova finished 7th in the counrty last year. They lost their opener to Syracuse at the Carrer Dome 27-26 and lost to Richmond 10-9 in Richmond. Hopefully Coach Wayne Lineburg who coached at Richmond from 2010-2013 can get some good info and film from his contacts at Richmond. Villanova lost one more game 34-31 to Sam Houston State in the Div. 1 football Championship. So they were 5 points away from being undeafeated last year.

A win will be significant. A loss will not shock anyone. Bottom line - UCONN has to win this game.

Its a 1AA team. If we win nobody cares and if we lose its just proves the naysayers right. Its a lose/lose game for the program and a needless favor to the AAC who will ultimately pick them up along with UMass.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Its a lose/lose game for the program

Granted this would absolutely shatter my expectations if it happened...but this game counts towards bowl eligibility. If we had a tougher OOC opponent to open the season and ended with 5 wins instead, I think people would be fairly disappointed.

Reaction Score

A "must win game" predicition in may, for the 1st week of Sept, against a 1-AA team. Wow how far we have fallen

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's an interesting dynamic that our fan base constantly took issue with people looking past UConn because of the name on the uniform but then constantly make value judgments about other teams based on the name on their uniform.

Reaction Score
Its a 1AA team. If we win nobody cares and if we lose its just proves the naysayers right. Its a lose/lose game for the program and a needless favor to the AAC who will ultimately pick them up along with UMass.

Reality is their are some pretty good FCS teams. Last year North Dakota state beat Iowa State 34-14. Here's an article that talks about some recent FCS success over FBS opponents. Eastern Washington beat Oregon State in 2013. Who will ever forget Appalachian State's shocking upset over Michigan. Obviously Nova should not and will not be taken lightly.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/9/1/4681824/fcs-football-upsets-fbs-2013-week-1

Reaction Score
The good news is our players won't likely be dismissing Nova as just another FCS pushover. That's the psychological tendency of all BCS teams who play in these games--despite coaches warnings and even when they aren't that strong themselves. In the meantime the Wildcats, after last seasons success will be fully engrossed and impressed with their own press clippings. When they gather to watch that sorry looking film of us they'll see easy pickings, a wounded puppy ready to be devoured. I like being the dog in that fight.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Villanova as favorites. They have a much more established offense than we do and honestly, we've been a dumpster fire for awhile now.

That being said, if Diaco can win convincingly, it will restore some small shred of hope for the future of the program. If.

Reaction Score
With all the 'positive energy' the coach and current players (that are allowed to talk to media) have given out I'd be shocked if we lost to Nova... IMO, it would be inexcusable... or, at the very least, our offense will show some signs of life (finally) at the very least... it'd be a competitive shoot out... We can't simply lie down like we've done in the past on offense... We better not...

Reaction Score
If we get decent QB play we will win handily.

Of course, we haven't had decent QB play in a while. I, however, remain optimistic we will improve at QB this year.

Reaction Score
The 20 month practice season ends in 3 months. Nova will be the first to feel the wrath of a team retooled and ready to return to their rightful place.

Reaction Score
Reality is their are some pretty good FCS teams. Last year North Dakota state beat Iowa State 34-14. Here's an article that talks about some recent FCS success over FBS opponents. Eastern Washington beat Oregon State in 2013. Who will ever forget Appalachian State's shocking upset over Michigan. Obviously Nova should not and will not be taken lightly.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/9/1/4681824/fcs-football-upsets-fbs-2013-week-1
Yes there are a few upsets, but as a general matter there is no excuse for BCS level teams to lose when they are generally faster, stronger and larger players on a whole. The losses against Towson and near loss to Stony Brook last year speak volumes. We could not control the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball. I do not accept the idea the Towson or Stony Brook had better athletes on the field. The same applies for Villanova.

Reaction Score
I would far rather play Villanova (a school where we have had some tradition) than the Norfolk State game for the 8th time. Or Howard. I get the drumbeat of complaints. But ... this is a great way to spread ourselves out. WE SHOULD WIN. I think we took these far too easily in the past. But, a good solid OLine and DLine should control this contest. QB? YES Please.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is depressing that I'm worried about this game, but I am. Nova is a decent team, but FCS losses suck.

Reaction Score
Yes there are a few upsets, but as a general matter there is no excuse for BCS level teams to lose when they are generally faster, stronger and larger players on a whole. The losses against Towson and near loss to Stony Brook last year speak volumes. We could not control the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball. I do not accept the idea the Towson or Stony Brook had better athletes on the field. The same applies for Villanova.
Good to see some reality from someone.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Good to see some reality from someone.

Boneyard Reality? Decide something is true regardless of evidence.

Hypothesis: Villanova (or Towson) has as much (or more) talent as UConn.

Evidence: Um the games? The scores?

'Reality': Refuse to believe... based on nothing more than... refusing to believe.

Reaction Score
Whaler

I agree with you sort of. I think his point was that we should have better athletes tha a 1aa team and that we don't is or at least should be unacceptable. Or at least raise serious questions about what the heck has been going on in Storrs for the past 4 years.

Reaction Score
We have no idea if we have a QB. Look at the Packers record without Rodgers. Then tell me we should automatically beat a top 5 FCS team.

Reaction Score
If we beat Nova I'll be very optimistic. Beating a top 5 FCS school was not going to happen last year. A convincing win will be a surprise.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler

I agree with you sort of. I think his point was that we should have better athletes tha a 1aa team and that we don't is or at least should be unacceptable. Or at least raise serious questions about what the heck has been going on in Storrs for the past 4 years.

In that case my apologies Bdogs.

I think we know what was happening though: Pasqualoni dug about 3/4ers of the way to China before Warde came to his senses.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This is a must win for a few reasons.
(1) Bobby D needs it
(2) most of whatever fan base is left will head for the doors if we lose
(3) this validates the program Diaco has put in place
(4) if we don't win this game or the next week, what do you think our record in the first 5 games will be against Missouri and BYU on the road or Navy? Then what will happen in terms of belief by players, fans and administration?

When Danny O was a freshman, we stunk. We were 2-4 in our first 6 games of his sophomore year before we turned it around. The difference is we aren't building around a young QB and the schedule is tougher!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom