viewing First Night? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

viewing First Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UC I disagree almost unanimously the only exception being "we are spoiled" rotten.
Gampel was at capacity last night, streaming the event to those unable to get in would have no impact on the experience of the people at the event. That is kind of like saying we didn't broadcast a game because we wanted to create a "more exclusive" event for the people that came to the event.
Secondly think of this in the context of the benefits package for your job because streaming and broadcast are benefit to fans. Broadcast and streaming of First Night was already in our benefits package. Someone decided to remove something ( broadcast) from my benefits package and I believe I have a right to express my displeasure.
How was First Night already in our benefits package as you say? Just because ESPN happened to cover it for the past three years? Was it always broadcast live on TV? UConn may not be allowed to show it since someone other than UConn owns all of the media rights to everything having to do with the basketball team(s). Remember how we all wanted to watch Bria and Stef's senior day and couldn't because of those very same media rights? First night very well could be in that same boat except this time there was no last second raw TV production feed. How many times has First Night been covered for ND? Tennessee? South Carolina? Stanford? Those top programs are lucky if they can even watch all of their games on TV, never mind have every public appearance broadcast to the world.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Coco - I guess I see my benefits package being my numbered items. Some years I get a nice 'Christmas bonus' like streaming of a pep rally or a preseason game or a four part ESPN Geno Project program, and some years I don't.

And based on traffic around Storrs, not streaming may have added a number of fans to Gampel that created that 'sell-out'.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How was First Night already in our benefits package as you say? Just because ESPN happened to cover it for the past three years? Was it always broadcast live on TV? UConn may not be allowed to show it since someone other than UConn owns all of the media rights to everything having to do with the basketball team(s). Remember how we all wanted to watch Bria and Stef's senior day and couldn't because of those very same media rights? First night very well could be in that same boat except this time there was no last second raw TV production feed. How many times has First Night been covered for ND? Tennessee? South Carolina? Stanford? Those top programs are lucky if they can even watch all of their games on TV, never mind have every public appearance broadcast to the world.
Simple, I think you can answer your own first two questions if you combined them this way: First Night was already in our benefits package because ESPN happened to cover it for the past three years thus eliminating the need for streaming. Italic are your words, Bold are mine.
I cannot speak to First Night for ND, Tennessee, South Carolina, Stanford but I did happen to catch Matthew Mitchell dancing at the Kentucky First Night on the SEC Network at the exact same time I could/should have been watching Geno and UCONN.
http://www.kentucky.com/2015/10/16/4090979_uk-coach-matthew-mitchell-does.html?rh=1

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've heard of slide rules, but I've never seen one. The most ancient math device I've ever used was a TI-83 calculator.
Slide Rule is exactly like the TI-83 or Casio 5835 the only difference is the batteries are cheaper especially those that use "light" sticks with them. Programming them is a bit more difficult.

Reaction Score
Here you go.

Figure5_Division_C-D.jpg
Where is the turn on button?? Are the programming options an add on?? But it does look like it was lit up--can I get it in orange??

Reaction Score
I've read all of the comments here. Needless to say I'm disappointed. I've come to the conclusion that if UConn is not going to share first night with the rest of us that can not
attend in person, then I'm not going to get excited about it anymore. Why get all jazzed about a function you're not invited to, and can't be a part of?

The University publishes press releases about first night, an all of the guests, former players and potential recruits they expect in attendance, then don't televise or stream the event. There are thousands of UConn fans in and out of state that can't attend in person. They know that, but I guess it's not important enough to the University to facilitate that particular fan base.

If this sounds like sour grapes, that's because it is. Like another poster said, "We've waited this long, another four weeks won't kill us". The rest of us will just have to wait for the first exhibition game in November. Hopefully we can see it after the fact on YouTube. :(

I would have like to have seen the function--BUT, as one has said this is mainly for the students and I'm 1000 percent for that. The significant thing that happened with FIRST NIGHT was that the 2015-2016 season has begun!!!
The Courant Comment section when posters wrote Lauren Cox's name ---the Courant *** out her last name.
I hope Lauren isn't a Courant reader.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Well, in lieu of First Night, I re-watched the 2014 semis against Stanford. Dolson was SO good. And that Hartley kid has a motor.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I would have like to have seen the function--BUT, as one has said this is mainly for the students and I'm 1000 percent for that. The significant thing that happened with FIRST NIGHT was that the 2015-2016 season has begun!!!
The Courant Comment section when posters wrote Lauren Cox's name ---the Courant *** out her last name.
I hope Lauren isn't a Courant reader.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought first night was for all of UConn's fans. I was unaware that it was mainly for the students. In the future, I will conduct my thoughts and comments about first night accordingly.

Reaction Score
Well, in lieu of First Night, I re-watched the 2014 semis against Stanford. Dolson was SO good. And that Hartley kid has a motor.

I must have been feeling your vibes---I watched Maya, Stef, Hartley--I didn't realize how good Dolson was as a Freshman--not perfect yet but amazing for a kid.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the clarification. I thought first night was for all of UConn's fans. I was unaware that it was mainly for the students. In the future, I will conduct my thoughts and comments about first night accordingly.
As Hillary said--I mis spoke. But not fully. On Campus functions are typically designed, and rightly so, for students. If fans--old people, kids--want to watch these functions it's nice for them to do so--when the University starts productions of sports ONLY for out side the campus fans--I'll protest loudly. I am sure Geno is/was fully aware of all the old people who wanted to be there and to be at the games--as was the Uconn President, ESPN and alike, could care less if the bottom line isn't fed they won't eat.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Here you go.

Figure5_Division_C-D.jpg
I remember my first exposure to slide rules - I found them almost magical! And incredibly accurate. I never got through learning all of the magic they contained, but each new function I learned ... just wow.
The abacus was also pretty cool - most westerners knew only the simple functions, but watching a profession operate one was pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom