viewing First Night? | The Boneyard

viewing First Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe they aren't doing it this year. We were only so lucky the last three years, I think, so perhaps that ESPN experiment is over. In the past UConn has provided some clips of it, so if it's not broadcast we may have to be satisfied with that short of going in person.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Last year we could watch on the huskies web site.....hope we can this year as well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Next to a WCBB national championship celebration on campus, "First Night" is the largest and the most festive, star studded (and hyped) function of the women's basketball program all year. It's also the biggest and most attractive "recruiting tool" the Huskies can employ.

One would think the University would pull out all the stops to insure that this program is televised to as many outlets as possible, by whatever means necessary. In addition to marketing their brand across the country to loyal UConn fans, they would also be exposing their program to hundreds of future potential recruits.

For those reasons and for the enjoyment of Husky fans everywhere, they should make every effort to broadcast and live stream first night every year. There are too many Husky fans across the country waiting with baited breath for first night, which cuts the ribbon and breaks the seal on the upcoming basketball season.

We should not be made to scramble, hunt or petition outlets to carry this program. There are a lot of us that live out of state. We are as interested in first night as those fans lucky enough to attend in person. We want to be part of the festivities too.

Question????????.......... who benefits by not televising and providing the feed to as many outlets as possible? If it's about $$$, I'm sure they could find a sponsor(s) that would love to partner with broadcasting this program. Ya think? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Was it broadcast by CPTV? I don't think ESPN is even covering men's first nights this year. My guess is it's a money issue, as in they won't make any, so they're showing college football games instead. Really this just boils down to a few thousand fans that want to watch but possibly won't be able to this year. Just go do something else on Friday night I guess, and know that in less than a month we'll have actual games to follow.

Reaction Score
Next to a WCBB national championship celebration on campus, "First Night" is the largest and the most festive, star studded (and hyped) function of the women's basketball program all year. It's also the biggest and most attractive "recruiting tool" the Huskies can employ.

One would think the University would pull out all the stops to insure that this program is televised to as many outlets as possible, by whatever means necessary. In addition to marketing their brand across the country to loyal UConn fans, they would also be exposing their program to hundreds of future potential recruits.

It's a pep rally. And any usefulness it has as a recruiting tool lies with those potential recruits in attendance, so why not insure the biggest crowd possible by not televising it? I really doubt that it is much of factor for elite level high school players.

Another possible factor is the "glow in the dark" theme. That may not be conducive to television.

Reaction Score
It's a pep rally. And any usefulness it has as a recruiting tool lies with those potential recruits in attendance, so why not insure the biggest crowd possible by not televising it? I really doubt that it is much of factor for elite level high school players.

Another possible factor is the "glow in the dark" theme. That may not be conducive to television.
Pretty much all schools have dark player intros and then the lights come on. This event is mostly for the kids on campus anyway. On a Friday night I doubt attendance of the event would change very much televised or not. I think this is more of a question of economics. With the rate that cable networks are hemorrhaging cash, I worry more about games starting to get cut, especially for a loser sport like WCBB in a loser conference like the AAC. That's where being in this conference will start to hurt.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm getting really discouraged
No first night, no streaming
How is one going to follow this team short of pilgrimages.

Reaction Score
I'm getting really discouraged
No first night, no streaming
How is one going to follow this team short of pilgrimages.
Isn't the broadcast of first night a relatively new thing? I guess I don't understand why a one hour pep rally not being broadcast is that big of a deal. Besides, we will get to watch real games in about four weeks. After a six month wait, four weeks will go by in a blink.

Reaction Score
oohhhhh, Harvard and Mercer madness tonight. Now that sounds exciting. :rolleyes:

You haven't been to a really really FUN RALLY/FIRST NIGHT until you've been to a CALCULUS FIRST NIGHT---all the new recruits are there playing with their CUBES-- Seeing who can complete the square, rumbus anyone?, tetrahedron games, seeing who is "the squaw on the other two hides"---6 hours of end to end enjoyment. Unlike dark damp dreary Gampel tonight~~~"""
Not that I want to be there--aaaaaah shucks!!!

Reaction Score
You haven't been to a really really FUN RALLY/FIRST NIGHT until you've been to a CALCULUS FIRST NIGHT---all the new recruits are there playing with their CUBES-- Seeing who can complete the square, rumbus anyone?, tetrahedron games, seeing who is "the squaw on the other two hides"---6 hours of end to end enjoyment. Unlike dark damp dreary Gampel tonight~~~"""
Not that I want to be there--aaaaaah shucks!!!
Instead of glow sticks they hand out slide rules. But yeah, who wants to see another trophy presentation at the college basketball capital of the universe?

Reaction Score
What's all the fuss?? No TV--no streaming--no UConn home coverage--no ESPN--ESPN3--no SNY--no CPTV--who cares???
It's ONLY Women's BASKETBALL~~!!! And we know what the world thinks of that.
Question for all----Why did UConn go with SNY?? Didn't they promise to broadcast ALL Uconn WBB functions as CPtV did to a larger audience. Seems like all the promises a guy makes to his girl friend---then, too late.. Not that I would do that!!
Instead of glow sticks they hand out slide rules. But yeah, who wants to see another trophy presentation at the college basketball capital of the universe?
I thought about using "slide rules" in that thread comment --but thought who'd know what they are/were???? Interesting thought--making slide rules that light up --the Next Calculus Rally, I be sure to use them.

Reaction Score
What's all the fuss?? No TV--no streaming--no UConn home coverage--no ESPN--ESPN3--no SNY--no CPTV--who cares???
It's ONLY Women's BASKETBALL~~!!! And we know what the world thinks of that.
Question for all----Why did UConn go with SNY?? Didn't they promise to broadcast ALL Uconn WBB functions as CPtV did to a larger audience. Seems like all the promises a guy makes to his girl friend---then, too late.. Not that I would do that!!

I thought about using "slide rules" in that thread comment --but thought who'd know what they are/were???? Interesting thought--making slide rules that light up --the Next Calculus Rally, I be sure to use them.
I've heard of slide rules, but I've never seen one. The most ancient math device I've ever used was a TI-83 calculator.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've heard of slide rules, but I've never seen one. The most ancient math device I've ever used was a TI-83 calculator.

Here you go.

Figure5_Division_C-D.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've read all of the comments here. Needless to say I'm disappointed. I've come to the conclusion that if UConn is not going to share first night with the rest of us that can not
attend in person, then I'm not going to get excited about it anymore. Why get all jazzed about a function you're not invited to, and can't be a part of?

The University publishes press releases about first night, an all of the guests, former players and potential recruits they expect in attendance, then don't televise or stream the event. There are thousands of UConn fans in and out of state that can't attend in person. They know that, but I guess it's not important enough to the University to facilitate that particular fan base.

If this sounds like sour grapes, that's because it is. Like another poster said, "We've waited this long, another four weeks won't kill us". The rest of us will just have to wait for the first exhibition game in November. Hopefully we can see it after the fact on YouTube. :(

Reaction Score
I've read all of the comments here. Needless to say I'm disappointed. I've come to the conclusion that if UConn is not going to share first night with the rest of us that can not
attend in person, then I'm not going to get excited about it anymore. Why get all jazzed about a function you're not invited to, and can't be a part of?

The University publishes press releases about first night, an all of the guests, former players and potential recruits they expect in attendance, then don't televise or stream the event. There are thousands of UConn fans in and out of state that can't attend in person. They know that, but I guess it's not important enough to the University to facilitate that particular fan base.

If this sounds like sour grapes, that's because it is. Like another poster said, "We've waited this long, another four weeks won't kill us". The rest of us will just have to wait for the first exhibition game in November. Hopefully we can see it after the fact on YouTube. :(
The problem is, it may very well be out of UConn's control.

Reaction Score
ESPN has decided to focus on encouraging the use of social media. They have a whole article encouraging fans to interact via facebook and twitter. Profits are down at Disney and their cash cow needs a new revenue stream. I decline to participate mostly because corporate America already knows too much about me but this social media phenomenon is the wave of the future. I get emails almost daily from EBay and Amazon in which they entice me with merchandise based on my prior purchases. You can't post a comment on many news articles and none at all on ESPN unless you have a facebook account. I grew up reading about Big Brother and never thought I'd live it. It creeps me out.

But it's normal for people under 20 and I expect that many of those at UConn's first night will have their phones and pads in their hands during the show tonight.

I just hope that Cox is blown away by a school that puts basketball at the head of the line as far as athletics.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know being a fan is derived from being a fanatic and I certainly fall into that definition, but the sense of entitlement I get from this thread is a bit over the top. As fanatics for Uconn women's basketball we are served better than any other women's college sports fan base, and way better than any women's professional sport fan base.
1. We have our own nationally available broadcast outlet that produces not only high quality game broadcasts but also high quality special programming for us fans. The volume and production values are comparable or better than most men's D1 basketball and football programs.
2. We have had and will have this year a high quality streaming option for games.
3. We have a 'horde' of quality sports writers assigned to our team who produce reams of column and blog pages about our team 12 months a year.
4. In addition to #3 we get frequent coverage from the NYT, WSJ, Boston Globe and every local paper in road game cities around the country, as well as good coverage from other national media including SI and ESPN.
5. The program quality is such that we are able to follow our players in their professional careers and on national teams in a volume that dwarfs every other WCBB program in the country. And for the last seven years we have been able to follow our coach on the NT level as well.
6. In the last ten years I can only remember a handful of games that were not available on some media live - not every media was available to every fan, based on location, personal choices of access, and the vagaries of broadcast rights not owned by Uconn/their broadcast partners.

It would be nice if every public appearance by the coaches and team were available on streaming - I understand that desire - but ... some perspective taking into account the above is not a bad idea. We are spoiled rotten, and I am pretty sure the unprecedented access that we do get has adversely effected the attendance at games - it is a trade off for the Uconn program. And presenting some things outside the games as a more exclusive in person experience is a small price to pay. The fact that Gampel was over capacity last night is a first I believe for First Nights certainly in recent memory. That makes it a better experience for those who do attending, including the life blood of the programs - the recruits in attendance.

It would also be nice if we had a 24/7 live streaming option from the team practice facility, weight room, study hall, and could monitor the CCTV security cameras around the campus so we could follow 'our' players on their journey from class to class, but .... that sounds a little creepy and too far over the edge into fanatic! (Hey, anybody think about issuing body cams to the team and streaming those live?!) :eek::cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know being a fan is derived from being a fanatic and I certainly fall into that definition, but the sense of entitlement I get from this thread is a bit over the top. As fanatics for Uconn women's basketball we are served better than any other women's college sports fan base, and way better than any women's professional sport fan base.
1. We have our own nationally available broadcast outlet that produces not only high quality game broadcasts but also high quality special programming for us fans. The volume and production values are comparable or better than most men's D1 basketball and football programs.
2. We have had and will have this year a high quality streaming option for games.
3. We have a 'horde' of quality sports writers assigned to our team who produce reams of column and blog pages about our team 12 months a year.
4. In addition to #3 we get frequent coverage from the NYT, WSJ, Boston Globe and every local paper in road game cities around the country, as well as good coverage from other national media including SI and ESPN.
5. The program quality is such that we are able to follow our players in their professional careers and on national teams in a volume that dwarfs every other WCBB program in the country. And for the last seven years we have been able to follow our coach on the NT level as well.
6. In the last ten years I can only remember a handful of games that were not available on some media live - not every media was available to every fan, based on location, personal choices of access, and the vagaries of broadcast rights not owned by Uconn/their broadcast partners.

It would be nice if every public appearance by the coaches and team were available on streaming - I understand that desire - but ... some perspective taking into account the above is not a bad idea. We are spoiled rotten, and I am pretty sure the unprecedented access that we do get has adversely effected the attendance at games - it is a trade off for the Uconn program. And presenting some things outside the games as a more exclusive in person experience is a small price to pay. The fact that Gampel was over capacity last night is a first I believe for First Nights certainly in recent memory. That makes it a better experience for those who do attending, including the life blood of the programs - the recruits in attendance.

It would also be nice if we had a 24/7 live streaming option from the team practice facility, weight room, study hall, and could monitor the CCTV security cameras around the campus so we could follow 'our' players on their journey from class to class, but .... that sounds a little creepy and too far over the edge into fanatic! (Hey, anybody think about issuing body cams to the team and streaming those live?!) :eek::cool:
UC I disagree almost unanimously the only exception being "we are spoiled" rotten.
Gampel was at capacity last night, streaming the event to those unable to get in would have no impact on the experience of the people at the event. That is kind of like saying we didn't broadcast a game because we wanted to create a "more exclusive" event for the people that came to the event.
Secondly think of this in the context of the benefits package for your job because streaming and broadcast are benefit to fans. Broadcast and streaming of First Night was already in our benefits package. Someone decided to remove something ( broadcast) from my benefits package and I believe I have a right to express my displeasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom