Vermont Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vermont Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Just a killer game! Only kink in the armor was letting VT sink 11 3’s, pretty much uncontested. In this game, I guess Geno wasn’t worried about it. Rightfully so.

Reaction Score
I have to say I was shocked to see how off Azzi's shots were. Not that they did not go in but they did not even look like they were close to going in. Very strange to see.

Reaction Score
Outstanding performance from UConn today! Team basketball at its best!

The team outperformed on most metrics.
1. We had a strong rebound advantage and owned the paint.
2. We controlled the pace of the game And defended well.
3. We took over 60 shots and had a good shooting percentage. We also had a strong outing at the free throw line.
4. They had only two free throws.

Aaliyah had a superb game. Dorka, with her double-double was strong at both ends. Nika had 10 assists and Caroline and Lou had strong contributions. Azzi moved well and opened up the paint. It was great that all 10 players scored!

Looking ahead, I expect our outside shooting will improve and we will keep turnovers to single digits.

Congratulations to Vermont for their season. They fought till the very end and were overmatched today.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
it was great to see the team smiling and enjoying themselves out there

I was impressed by the progress Ayanna showed in 1 game. In the first half on offense, she was a screen looking for someone to stop. In the second half, she looked for her shot, looked for rebounds and was part of the offense. I know the game circumstances were different but I enjoyed the second half Ayanna.

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*A real good game. Reminded me of UConn of old kind of game. Everyone contributed and everyone scored!
*AE: Beast mode! Vermont didn't know what hit them :) she was 3rd team AA??? i'll say she is an All American! what a game!
*Dorka: amazing game. Offense, defense...she was everywhere!
*Lou: good game till the point she got injured. Hopefully she'll be ok by next game. We really really need her!
*Azzi: while her shooting was off, is there anyone who wants her to stop shooting? don't think so. As AE said post game, Azzi presence creates spacing, spacing, spacing...
*Nika: controlled tempo and good job with the 10 assists!
*Aubrey: I'm concerned that she didn't play in the second half. Hopefully will be good to go next game.
CD: a real good game by her. One of her better games this season. Confident...moving well...shooting well...
*AP: was not doing a good job on the defensive switches but Vermont couldn't take advantage. Was good to see her scoring!
*Amari: was happy with her game today! tried to be more around the basket and had some good moves there.
*Ines: good game by her and her 3 was fantastic!
*The only thing that was lacking somewhat was the 3-point defense. Vermont had way to many open 3's.
*Credit Vermont for the fight. THe UConn players were bigger, stronger, faster and more talented but Vermont was doing their thing.
*On to Baylor or Alabama!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First, kudos to Vermont. They came to play and kept it going the entire game.

UConn was rested and had all 10 players ready to go. And did they ever GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone needs to explain why Aaliyah was only 3rd team AA. With Dorka, we completely dominated the interior and the boards. These two are a devastating duo for teams to deal with. Guard play was good with Nika leading the way with 10 assists. Good sub patterns by Geno.

And - Every Body Eats!!!!!!! An enjoyable and satisfying game.

Reaction Score
We've got some really special guards coming in next year, but they are going to have to keep up with Ines to earn playing time. I hope to see more of her this post-season...mostly because we'll be ahead, but I do think that she'll shine in the future. Also just check the stats to see what Caroline did today in the amount of time she played. Keep your head up Caroline!
Caroline had some hops today. Back to quick again. Great anticipation with five rebounds. Perhaps her best game of the year.
Nice to see the bench was looking more to score than pass first. We played with great depth. With our nearly full team we are a tough out. Our bigs led the way with many great rebounds and putbacks.

Reaction Score
This was a great “we’re UCONN and it’s March” game and a lot of fun to watch. I was very happy to see the strong post play, especially the unstoppable game that Aaliyah played. There was really good team defense, and the rebounding advantage led to a lot of easy baskets. The chemistry and spacing on the offensive end was the best it’s been in a couple of months, and it led to a bunch of assists and easy buckets in the paint. Having Azzi on the floor really opens things up, and hopefully her shot will start to fall as she gets a bit more game time. It was really nice to see Caroline moving more smoothly, and her 12 points (4-4 fg) and the other 17 points off the bench were really good contributions. Sending good thoughts to Lou’s ankle/knee, and looking forward to Monday.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Slightly off topic, but poignant. Two number fives lost today; women’s basketball is a whole new ball game now. Playing a second round opponent used to be a Freebee for UConn; never again. The next game will be competitive and any future games will be dog fights.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Fantastic effort by everyone today, especially Aaliyah!
But I love her comment post game. “My favorite was making an assist so I could dap up my teammate!”
That’s UCONN ball!
She and Mike are great team mates. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Great game, 10 players all score. Special all benches have done great job,

View attachment 85313
One of the things I wanted to chime in on was the production of the bench today, 29 points. Everybody got in and everybody scored.
UConn set the tone during the first quarter. Vermont was never in this game. I guess the Vermont coach had her reasons for waiting until there was less than a minute to go to clear her bench. She could have cleared it at the 5-minute mark in the 4th quarter. It wouldn't have made any difference. The fat lady did her number during the halftime break and was gone before the players came back out on the floor. The Vermont bench players weren't out there long enough to break a sweat. I would have liked to see Amari (the last UConn player off the bench) out there a little sooner also. :confused: This game was over at the half, and I think she knew it.

What we saw today was exactly what most of us expected to see against a vastly over-matched opponent. Vermont is not in UConn's class, which is probably why Geno doesn't schedule them in his OOC lineup. Monday's game won't be as easy, but that's OK. It was assumed that this was just a "tune-up" for the 2nd round game against (Alabama/Baylor) a much more worthy opponent. This game provided us a chance to shake off any lingering rust, and a chance to get their timing back in sync. This was a fun game to watch. I hope UConn can look this good Monday with the same results. :cool:

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
That first Ayanna basket: I know it came when he put back an offensive rebound off her own miss.
BUT: I just loved the aggressive move she made to get that initial shot. Maybe 6' feet from the hoop...strong!] move!!
More of that A.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know that Vermont is not an elite team, but this is the Uconn I have been watching for the last 10 years. Aaliyah was fantastic and our bench, which I'm glad we have a bench, finally contributed like a bench should. We are dangerous and we are committed to win No.12. Uconn has now become healthy and LOOK OUT. GO HUSKIES!!!!
Had they not been beset with injuries, you would have seen this all year. :cool: Hard for the bench to do anything when it's down to an
inexperienced freshman guard, and a sophomore post player. :confused:

Reaction Score
Great team win. Our bigs had a feast against the smaller opponents. Caroline had her best game in quite some time, great to see. Especially given the next paragraph of my post.

Hoping Lou is ok. Also noticed that Aubrey only played 6 minutes. Hope she isn’t suffering too much with back spasms.

1 game down!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom