Vermont Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Vermont Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Steph's humility is inspirational.
The best shooter in the world, Steph Curry, said that Fudd is the third best (behind him and Klay).

This post is absolutely false. This is not what Steph said about Azzi--this is entirely a misquote: This is what Steph said" "She [Azzi] has more of a textbook jumper than anyone I've seen. Maybe Klay Thomson and Azzi Fudd. You go Ray Allen, Klay Thompson and Azzi Fudd, textbook. You would teach somebody how to shoot with their form." End of quote. Steph humbly does not even mention himself... So your attempt at Steph's humility totally misses the mark...

Reaction Score
The best shooter in the world, Steph Curry, said that Fudd is the third best (behind him and Klay). I'm not all all worried about her shots starting to fall.
I'm not worried about Azzi either, but this is not what Steph said about Azzi--this is entirely a misquote: This is what Steph said" "She [Azzi] has more of a textbook jumper than anyone I've seen. Maybe Klay Thomson and Azzi Fudd. You go Ray Allen, Klay Thompson and Azzi Fudd, textbook. You would teach somebody how to shoot with their form." End of quote.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Baylor game Monday night is at 9 p.m., on ESPN.

Not wild about that start time, to be honest.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah played like the All-American she is. She looks like the best player on the floor everytime she is on the floor.
Dorka looked confident and I loved that
Nika causes havoc and created alot of offense
Not worried about Lopez-Senechal or Aubrey, we're very early on
Azzi shot the ball alot and that's all I care about. Let her miss because she can make 10 in a row. Defensively even with the brace she is the perimeter disruption that is needed.
Ines and the bench look like she hit a March switch as well

Baylor will be a tough test but UConn scored 95 without their generational shooter getting going. Yikes for everyone

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There was a discussion in another thread about who is the fastest on the team. I believe that Ines would give some a run for their money. Twice in the last month she has chased down an opponent from behind and has gotten a steal and a block. She has really put in the effort this season and is improving every game.

Geno has said that Ines is athletic and surprised her teammates with her speed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I still think it's Aubrey......... until the end of May when KK Arnold arrives on campus, at which time she'll assume that distinction. ;)

KK may be quicker. I think Aubrey is faster. Let's see how Qadence looks. I think Q glides.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts:

I liked pushing the pace. Some forced turnovers and a stampede to the other end. At times, it reminded me of the "piranhas on a roast game."

When Aaliyah is the best player on the floor, I like our chances. THIRD team?? Give me a break! I love our interior duo.

All of Azzi's misses were either short or long. They were essentially right on line. It may take a while for her shot to click, but it's a beautiful thing when it does. Even with poor shooting, she gives Nika a rest, defends, and spaces the floor. An excellent ball player.

We got 29 bench points. Everyone--including Ayanna, Amari, and Ines--made multiple good plays. Keep it up!

Reaction Score
Had they not been beset with injuries, you would have seen this all year. :cool: Hard for the bench to do anything when it's down to an
inexperienced freshman guard, and a sophomore post player. :confused:
I was NOT putting a hit on the bench with my comment. I meant that we had 5 qualified and healthy players and they did their part and scored with gusto. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Did you get a speeding ticket in Vermont? They played hard, made some shots, never got chippy. It's what you get in a 2/15 game. No reason for us to kick them while they're down.
That's all just factual, accurate info. They were never in the game. They're not in UConn's class. That's just the truth

Reaction Score
My two cents about Fudd, it is a fact she has shot poorly in the 4 games she has played since coming back, 29% overall, 23% from 3.
BUT, she has PLAYED very well; good, active defense, moving the ball on offense, but especially taking EVERY good shot that shows and not forcing ANY bad ones.
Defining her, IMO she is not a great shooter, she is a terrific basketball player who is capable of shooting great and if she does, quite obviously all the better, but the fact is getting hurt and sitting out the better part of two years takes its toll.
I disagree with posters who insist Uconn will not go deep in the tournament if she doesn’t start “lighting it up”, winning is always a crap shoot and never guaranteed, no matter what some fans on here feel they are entitled to, but I am pretty sure Uconn will not go deep if Fudd is unable to PLAY.

Reaction Score
I like a lot about her game. Really think she is a diamond in the rough. She's only a freshman who came to the program like 10 minutes before the season started.
I like Ines' work ethic and she seems very coachable as well. That's exceptional for someone so young -- maybe 18.5 years old now? She was still 17 when she arrived in September.

Reaction Score
The best shooter in the world, Steph Curry, said that Fudd is the third best (behind him and Klay).

This post is absolutely false. This is not what Steph said about Azzi--this is entirely a misquote: This is what Steph said" "She [Azzi] has more of a textbook jumper than anyone I've seen. Maybe Klay Thomson and Azzi Fudd. You go Ray Allen, Klay Thompson and Azzi Fudd, textbook. You would teach somebody how to shoot with their form." End of quote. Steph humbly does not even mention himself... So your attempt at Steph's humility totally misses the mark...

Well, you almost got it correct. Here is the exact statement Curry made about Fudd. "She can be going full speed and stop on a dime and have, like, a feathery release," Curry told ESPN before her commitment to UConn. "I think she has more of a textbook jumper than anyone I've seen. Maybe Klay Thompson and Azzi Fudd. ... You go Ray Allen, Klay Thompson and Azzi Fudd, textbook. You would teach somebody how to shoot with their form."

Reaction Score
We all are so happy when our bench plays well. We all loved the game but still see we can be better. Tha is what I love about the Boneyard. We seem to always seek perfection. The teams before this have left the memory of those games and we judge each new team in comparision to the past teams. This team if all play well to play with Anybody in the tournament. Ayanna hitting elbow jumpers and making moves around the hoop is major progress for her and Geno is gaining more confidence in Ines. If we play Ohio State and they press us which we know they will, Ines is our best and quickess ball handler. Go Huskies!!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Did you get a speeding ticket in Vermont? They played hard, made some shots, never got chippy. It's what you get in a 2/15 game. No reason for us to kick them while they're down.
Not kicking them while they're down. Just stating the obvious. Look at the other 2 vs 15 results in the first two days.....blowouts as they were predicted to be by WCBB analysts. Agreed, the 15 seeds all played hard and competed to the best of their ability, but none of them were in the class of their opponents. Every game was a mismatch. ALL four #2 ranked teams are ranked in the top 10 nationally. All of the 15 ranked teams are mid-major schools, none of whom are ranked in the top 125. Gardner-Webb was the highest-ranked #2 seed at 136.

2 Iowa defeats vs 15 SE Louisiana St. 95-43 - 2 Maryland defeats 15 Holy Cross 93-61, and finally 2 Utah defeats 15 Gardner-Webb 103-77. There is a pattern here. 2 UConn's victory over their #15 ranked opponent is in line with the outcomes of other 2-15 matchups so far. Programs that were ranked 15 by the tournament selection committee were done so for a reason, similar to schools ranked number 2....for a reason.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sure, it's true. Not a truth worth crowing apart imo.
The Vermont players knew they weren’t in the same league but, to their credit, they competed to the best of their ability. That’s all you can ask for. Now the players know what they need to do to get to the next level and so does the coach.

"Yeah, I would say playing against UConn where all the players are super talented and they're very athletic and they're big and strong," [player Catherine] Gilwee said. "Obviously we don't have that athleticism to our advantage, so we got to be super locked in on all of our rules, all of our fundamentals on defense."

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm not arguing with anything anybody said. I'm just sayin', we've been grinding 16 seeds to dust for 30 years. We don't usually deign to talk about how bad they were afterwards. We knew they were bad before we played them, they were supposed to be bad. As 15 seeds go, they were markedly unremarkable.

Reaction Score

I guess then I'm not in the conversation for best shooter?:oops:

Reaction Score
Aaliyah played like the All-American she is. She looks like the best player on the floor everytime she is on the floor.
Dorka looked confident and I loved that
Nika causes havoc and created alot of offense
Not worried about Lopez-Senechal or Aubrey, we're very early on
Azzi shot the ball alot and that's all I care about. Let her miss because she can make 10 in a row. Defensively even with the brace she is the perimeter disruption that is needed.
Ines and the bench look like she hit a March switch as well

Baylor will be a tough test but UConn scored 95 without their generational shooter getting going. Yikes for everyone
Not mentioned, but Caroline also played a really good game...

As for Azzi being the Huskies' generational shooter, whether it's injuries or whatever else, so far in her UConn career I'd think of her as a potential generational shooter. Yes, she has wonderful shooting form, but until the shots go in consistently over a period of time, we should hold off on the accolades.

I love Azzi - she might well be the nicest player around - but her 7 of 28 from the floor so far since her return merits a bit of concern, at least in my book. I wouldn't expect an AzziBraids to agree with me. I'm just as anxious as others here on the BY to see her develop into a consistent shooter, rather than a streak shooter, which is what we've seen so far over two, injury-plagued seasons.

I'll also take issue with your statement that Aaliyah has been the best player on the floor every game. Look no further than Dorka, who has played better than Aaliyah in multiple games but just doesn't seem to get the love from Huskies fans. Aaliyah is the best player on the team, just not in every game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom