USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten | Page 16 | The Boneyard

USC and UCLA to the BIG Ten

Reaction Score

I posted the following in the B12 Expansion thread yesterday, don‘t know how to link a post in another thread, duh…

…Travel is no longer a concern, conferences are coast to coast and will go all 4 corners. <start joke> Open up the equivalent of UConn Stamford in Dallas and place the baseball team there, all classes virtual, play in Frisco as weather allows. Build guest quarters for traveling Olympic teams. wtfn <end joke>…

I added ‘joke’ to avoid being shredded by the board. Change is happening quickly, especially for those schools flush with cash. They can also open a graduate center there to generate other income. We have to act now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I posted the following in the B12 Expansion thread yesterday, don‘t know how to link a post in another thread, duh…

…Travel is no longer a concern, conferences are coast to coast and will go all 4 corners. <start joke> Open up the equivalent of UConn Stamford in Dallas and place the baseball team there, all classes virtual, play in Frisco as weather allows. Build guest quarters for traveling Olympic teams. wtfn <end joke>…

I added ‘joke’ to avoid being shredded by the board. Change is happening quickly, especially for those schools flush with cash. They can also open a graduate center there to generate other income. We have to act now.
That travel still has to be paid for, both in cash, and in wear and tear on the coaches and the student athletes.

Reaction Score
USC and UCLA will have more than enough money to pay for charter flights for all sports. Game at Penn State? Charter from LA to the University Park Airport in State College, PA. No airport delays. No driving an hour plus to campus after leaving the airport.

Not sure other conferences will have the cashflow to do something like this, outside of the SEC.

CL82

Reaction Score
USC and UCLA will have more than enough money to pay for charter flights for all sports. Game at Penn State? Charter from LA to the University Park Airport in State College, PA. No airport delays. No driving an hour plus to campus after leaving the airport.

Not sure other conferences will have the cashflow to do something like this, outside of the SEC.
What would that be about a 4 1/2 hour flight LA to Newark is 5 1/4 hours. Figure another 40 minutes to get to Rutgers.

I don’t know, seems less than ideal to me

Reaction Score
What would that be about a 4 1/2 hour flight LA to Newark is 5 1/4 hours. Figure another 40 minutes to get to Rutgers.

When you factor in commercial flight delays from the major airlines and the drive from the commercial airport to the university campus, all of a sudden a direct charter flight from LA to a local airport near a B1G university isn’t that much longer.

CL82

Reaction Score
When you factor in commercial flight delays from the major airlines and the drive from the commercial airport to the university campus, all of a sudden a direct charter flight from LA to a local airport near a B1G university isn’t that much longer.
Four hours and 39 minutes wheels up to wheels down to Pittsburgh. State college would be a little bit longer. But even if it were only four hours in 39 minutes it’s still four hours and 39 minutes on a plane. Or five hours and 15 minutes if you’re going to Rutgers… plus travel time to New Brunswick. Flying across the country takes time.

Reaction Score

May not be ideal, but it’s the new normal. Omaha is not an easy trip. As it stands now UConn flies to at least 6 opponents. Once you are in the plane is 4 hrs that much worse than 2.5? Once you land expenses and experience is the same.

CL82

Reaction Score
May not be ideal, but it’s the new normal. Omaha is not an easy trip. As it stands now UConn flies to at least 6 opponents. Once you are in the plane is 4 hrs that much worse than 2.5? Once you land expenses and experience is the same.
Well, it’s 4.65 not 4 and ours 4.65 x2 because you have to get back. It’s cumulative and draining.

CL82

Reaction Score
With good tail winds its 4.3265 :rolleyes:
Yeah, but it’s 4.93275 on the way back.

(Again, the travel time is there and back nine hours in a plane is a long time.)

Reaction Score
Some of the B1G schools have their own airports that are practically on campus, so in and out for the teams is easy. Penn State has its own airport and it's right next door to the football stadium IIRC. Perhaps other B1G schools have a similar set up with such easy access so flying is not that big of a deal.

Reaction Score
Some of the B1G schools have their own airports that are practically on campus, so in and out for the teams is easy. Penn State has its own airport and it's right next door to the football stadium IIRC. Perhaps other B1G schools have a similar set up with such easy access so flying is not that big of a deal.
Not a ton of flights in and out of The SC Airport. It's possible that USC/UCLA could fly charter in for football, but it's highly unlikely that these schools will absorb that cost for Olympic Sports. My guess is that they will fly commercial into Harrisburg and bus to University Park. If they are doing a Friday through Sunday they could play at PSU on Friday, bus to Rutgers on Saturday and fly out of Newark on Sunday. Its not ideal, but teams from the Midwest are already doing something similar.

Reaction Score
Not a ton of flights in and out of The SC Airport. It's possible that USC/UCLA could fly charter in for football, but it's highly unlikely that these schools will absorb that cost for Olympic Sports. My guess is that they will fly commercial into Harrisburg and bus to University Park. If they are doing a Friday through Sunday they could play at PSU on Friday, bus to Rutgers on Saturday and fly out of Newark on Sunday. Its not ideal, but teams from the Midwest are already doing something similar.
they would probably use burbank

Reaction Score
they would probably use burbank
SC= State College. Not sure if there are direct commercial flights from LA or Burbank to SC. There may be, but it's more likely that they would fly in elsewhere and then bus to campus.

Reaction Score
SC= State College. Not sure if there are direct commercial flights from LA or Burbank to SC. There may be, but it's more likely that they would fly in elsewhere and then bus to campus.
they can charter out of burbank

Reaction Score
I believe UCLA factored in the cost of charter flights for all sports in their presentation to the California Board of Regents when they were told to provide expense estimates. I think this means they intend to charter flights for all sports.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Willow Run Airport is just a quick 17 minute drive from U of M. It only services hobbyists, cargo and corporate charters. U of M’s private jets are housed there. MSU is about the same distance to Capital City Airport. The 2 schools are less than hour apart. Easy weekend.

Reaction Score
well without frank broyles Arkansas old ad the razorbacks would be new mexico and stuck in the AAC or c-usa the big 12 wouild had reject us thanks to texas and for the record the aac is a fine conf but arkansas makes around 40 mil a year thanks to the sec

u can blame frank and joe pa for these teams moving around maybe bobby boldwen too

Reaction Score
its was very hard to get in to favtteville uthil the mid 90-s i watched a georia-arkansas 92 football game and they talked about how georiga had to bus in 2- or 3 diff places just to get there

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Buried in a recruiting piece (part 4 of 5), Big10 officials recognize the travel issue and can’t have USC/UCLA left on an island. The flexibility of the new scheduling format would allow for new schools to be easily added if the topic is revisited once a new commissioner is hired.

Here’s the relevant part for those that don’t want to read the recruiting sections:

4. The slog schedule process

The further Big Ten officials delve into a new schedule format, the more exposed is the reality of USC and UCLA alone on the West Coast.

Officials continue to work through format proposals — 3 permanent opponents and 6 rotating is still the likely choice — even though it could all be scrapped once a new commissioner is hired and if expansion is revisited.

Multiple Big Ten officials expressed concern about travel logistics with USC and UCLA, and earlier this month told Saturday Tradition that athletic scheduling/travel and academic “stress” for all student athletes at all member institutions (not just football players) must be addressed — and that USC and UCLA can’t be left “on a geographic island.”

The Big Ten and the SEC both will likely announce in May new schedule formats for their 16-team leagues in 2024. The Big Ten schedule could be reworked — and allow more flexibility for USC and UCLA — should the conference add 2 (Oregon, Washington) or more teams (Stanford, Cal) in expansion.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Is there any doubt at this point that the PAC-12 is going to just end up as a prestige G5, similar to the American, in 5-10 years? Seems like they're at the same OBE tipping point

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reminiscing

in the league where they play . . . . for pay

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads