USA U18 in action today in FIBA Championship games | Page 5 | The Boneyard

USA U18 in action today in FIBA Championship games

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Offering many players who essentially are very athletic and excellent one on one HS players. And then, essentially Louisville has been and seemingly will remain a run and gun type of team.

Why a Jordan Horston would consider entrusting her future which is so very bright, to this type of program and style amazes me.

Did you see Louisville play last season? Very good passing team, terrific defensively.

And not only is Horston considering Louisville, so are Amihere, Jones, Boston, and Griffin, all the other 2019 UConn targets.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I didn’t go through the thread but am I the only one that thinks the U17 is WAAAAY better than the U18 team?

That U17 was FUN to watch, they played defense and passed the ball with a chemistry that I can’t remember seeing from any U17 team prior. Like they’ve played together for years. They looked cohesive and moved as a unit.
Uhm. NO! I think this was about 1/2 way through the first quarter.
Ok let me be the first to speculate that the U17 might just smoke this team.
I haven't seen one quality pass from this team yet and the defensive techniques are HORRIBLE!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have not yet watched the game so my comments might well be worthless. But from reading alk the comments here, I'd like to focus not so much on the players but the coaching, choices of team members, style of play, substituation patterns, etc.
While this was their first game and clearly they have not been together so long and hopefully things will get a lot better by next week, I think it shows that while Jeff Wakz is always considered a top notch coach, if that's really true then the women's college game has big problems.
There are constant and repeated comments here about his recruiting style. Offering many scholarships hoping to get the few needed each year. Offering many players who essentially are very athletic and excellent one on one HS players. And then, essentially Louisville has been and seemingly will remain a run and gun type of team.
The on-going success of such a style in the women's or men's game at the college or pro level is very spotty at best. Yes, you make the tournament every year, and maybe occasionally you reach or come close to a FF or close to the championship series.
On a consistent basis he will rarely beat a Tara or MM, who actually recruit much more selectively, will only take the potentially great HS player unless they will work within their systems. Then have in place hard work, discipline and focus. This was how a ND team beat a more talented U Conn team last year.
And then if you move on to Geno, CD and U Conn, the requirements, expectations, demands reach another level.
In summary, Walz has developed a good program based upon recruiting a certain type and style of player, and essentially throwing many against the wall and seeing what will stick.
There are plenty of players and one example now is Zia Cooke. Unbelievable skills and talent but it comes with the downside of not making her teammates better and way too many turnovers.
Why a Jordan Horston would consider entrusting her future which is so very bright, to this type of program and style amazes me. Yes Walz is a better coach the HW, but isn't there strong similarities to U Tenn?? Top recruiting and much less real, on-going training and development.
Carla Berube coaching at Tufts is way ahead of Jeff Walz in more ways then one can count!
As to CW and Ono, this experience will be a useful one in their development. But only because they have hopefully four years of Geno, CD, the other coaches, their teammates, the culture that is U Conn to layer on top of it!
I think these two teams, U17 and U18, speak volumes of course about their players, but their coaches as well. I expect this team to improve over the next week but without solid training and coaching, in close, tight games you revert to one on one play, which is very hit or miss!
Bronx23
I have several points of disagreement with your post.

While I have been very critical o Jeff’s recruiting style the connection you make between the style of recruiting and the style of play (run and gun) is way off base. Under Jeff Louisville actually runs some beautiful offensive sets. If there is any critique of the offense is that over the years it has been too dependent on one single player that goes from Angel -Shoni- Hines-Allen-Durr. On the defensive side of the ball Jeff team’s have a tendency, especially when undermanned, to thug it up. That has never worked against UCONN but it has served Jeff well over the years against many other teams. This U18 team resembled nothing that Louisville does in the regular season with the exception of the thuggery. 25 personal fouls in the game last night.

The thread you weave regarding talent has a knot in it right here: “This was how a ND team beat a more talented U Conn team last year. ‘ . Louisville also beat ND last year, actually blew then out by 33 points. When the two teams met again in the ACC Finals it was again a two point win for Louisville. So if you are to conclude that UCONN talent > ND talent then I would make the argument Jeff played ND better than UCONN did last year-With less talent.

Jeff is not Holly Warlick, he is much better tactician. Carla Berube did a tremendous job with the U17 team and with Tuffs but there should be no comparison to what Jeff has accomplished at MD as an assistant and at Louisville.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Did you see Louisville play last season? Very good passing team, terrific defensively.

And not only is Horston considering Louisville, so are Amihere, Jones, Boston, and Griffin, all the other 2019 UConn targets.
Which kind of puzzled me when people blamed yesterdays performance not on the lack of PT together, not on this particular teams inability to quickly gel, not on the lesser talent in relationship to the U17 team, but on Walz as a coach. Geez, I mean lets have this team play a few before we excoriate Walz and coronate Carla. Both are terrific coaches. This team will play better. CW and ONO will play better, and both are as good or better than any player on the U17's.

JordyG

Reaction Score

While I have been very critical o Jeff’s recruiting style the connection you make between the style of recruiting and the style of play (run and gun) is way off base. Under Jeff Louisville actually runs some beautiful offensive sets. If there is any critique of the offense is that over the years it has been too dependent on one single player that goes from Angel -Shoni- Hines-Allen-Durr. On the defensive side of the ball Jeff team’s have a tendency, especially when undermanned, to thug it up. That has never worked against UCONN but it has served Jeff well over the years against many other teams. This U18 team resembled nothing that Louisville does in the regular season with the exception of the thuggery. 25 personal fouls in the game last night.

The thread you weave regarding talent has a knot in it right here: “This was how a ND team beat a more talented U Conn team last year. ‘ . Louisville also beat ND last year, actually blew then out by 33 points. When the two teams met again in the ACC Finals it was a two point win for ND. So if you are to conclude that UCONN talent > ND talent then I would make the argument Jeff played ND better than UCONN did last year-With less talent.

Jeff is not Holly Warlick, he is much better tactician. Carla Berube did a tremendous job with the U17 team and with Tuffs but there should be no comparison to what Jeff has accomplished at MD as an assistant and at Louisville.
Coco the preacher! And not a false word in the bunch.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Which kind of puzzled me when people blamed yesterdays performance not on the lack of PT together, not on this particular teams inability to quickly gel, not on the lesser talent in relationship to the U17 team, but on Walz as a coach. Geez, I mean lets have this team play a few before we excoriate Walz and coronate Carla. Both are terrific coaches. This team will play better. CW and ONO will play better, and both are as good or better than any player on the U17's.

A variation on an old adage: "it's not how you start, but how you finish." ;)

Given how many games they play, we'll see how this plays out shortly. There's some excellent talent on this team and Coach Walz will find what works. (After years of watching this from the collegiate level, this I have no doubt.)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

The thread you weave regarding talent has a knot in it right here: “This was how a ND team beat a more talented U Conn team last year. ‘ . Louisville also beat ND last year, actually blew then out by 33 points. When the two teams met again in the ACC Finals it was a two point win for ND. So if you are to conclude that UCONN talent > ND talent then I would make the argument Jeff played ND better than UCONN did last year-With less talent.

Louisville actually beat ND in that 2018 ACC Final by two (74-72), which -- if anything -- underscores your point even more

Last edited:

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Williams U-18.JPG

Great little write up by Sluconn about Williams and ONO's play yesterday. I'll just add two pictures....;)

"Both Williams and Nelson-Ododa did things that showed their talent. Williams had a big block, that nifty drive where she switched hands going up to score, and was in among the trees to rebound all day. One thing I think that was apparent though is that she would not make a good point guard due to issues against pressure. But she's a playmaker with a high IQ, strength, and shooting touch (despite the missed FT's). ONO hit a long jumper that was close to being a three, scored inside with the left hand, skied for a few rebounds, and made a strong interior pass for an assist."

Go Huskies..!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am one who was not impressed last night, but I agree with Cat et al. This team has not been together as long as the U-17 team and the players are not as familiar with each other. For the most part, I thought the U-17 half court offense was ragged, so they weren’t perfect. We should give the U-18 kids time to see how their play develops. Is there actually more talent on the U-17 team? That’s an interesting and legit question. I don’t think it can be answered by 1 game. As we know, some recruiting classes are weak and some are very strong.

Last night’s game may have been an anomaly. The officiating was ridiculously tight. Players may have become tentative, and no flow was established. The substitution pattern didn’t help that. Liv got in very early foul trouble. There may have been some first-game jitters. I know both Liv and Christyn are better than they showed last night. Let’s see how things look after multiple games.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am one who was not impressed last night, but I agree with Cat et al. This team has not been together as long as the U-17 team and the players are not as familiar with each other. For the most part, I thought the U-17 half court offense was ragged, so they weren’t perfect. We should give the U-18 kids time to see how their play develops. Is there actually more talent on the U-17 team? That’s an interesting and legit question. I don’t think it can be answered by 1 game. As we know, some recruiting classes are weak and some are very strong.
Last night’s game may have been an anomaly. The officiating was ridiculously tight. Players may have become tentative, and no flow was established. The substitution pattern didn’t help that. Liv got in very early foul trouble. There may have been some first-game jitters. I know both Liv and Christyn are better than they showed last night. Let’s see how things look after multiple games.
Agree entirely. I'll also go on record that I don't like CW at the point in this offense and I think Prince needs to start. I'd go Prince, ONO, CW, Blackwell, & Peoples at the point as starters. Shorten the rotation up front to Smith & Howard and Shorten the Guard rotation to Brown & Joens until the rest of the team comes along.

Reaction Score
Didn't get to watch but looked at the stats. Proud to see Smith with a decent line. Watching the game today, hopefully they gel better based on all the comments in this thread.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
USA should have won that game by 60. That's a really bad Argentina team.

Team USA looked disjointed from the opening tip. They look like a team that has been together for little more than a week. The U17 team had more time together, a bunch of scrimmages and a 3-game tournament before its competition. We should keep that in mind.

Maybe a better coach as well

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Read every post. A wide range of thoughts and comments. Tonight's game against Chile should be interesting. Which USA team will take the floor? The one we were expecting to see, or the one that played last night. :eek:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Agree entirely. I'll also go on record that I don't like CW at the point in this offense and I think Prince needs to start. I'd go Prince, ONO, CW, Blackwell, & Peoples at the point as starters. Shorten the rotation up front to Smith & Howard and Shorten the Guard rotation to Brown & Joens until the rest of the team comes along.
I half agree. Give CW one or two more chances at the point and let's see. Joens however is going to have to show me more than she has so far in order to be in the rotation, but yeah, it otherwise sounds good to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom