USA U18 in action today in FIBA Championship games | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USA U18 in action today in FIBA Championship games

Reaction Score
Based on this one game, which is really fool's folly, one should not expect either of our Freshmen to have a great impact in their first year. Let's hope the rest of the tournament and, more importantly, the pre season practices show them in a better light.

Reaction Score
Lots of missed ft's, point blank layups and put backs. SMH. Team USA should have had at least 95 points, but...…………….I'll take it. :D

A tip o' the cap to UConnCat. She called it. She said team USA would win by 30-40 points, they did!! ;)

it's those rims I'm telling you...........totally unforgiving

Reaction Score
Based on this one game, which is really fool's folly, one should not expect either of our Freshmen to have a great impact in their first year. Let's hope the rest of the tournament and, more importantly, the pre season practices show them in a better light.

I surely don't think you can make any judgments from that one game or any of these international games for that matter............I'm pretty confident that CW will be playing and making an impact next season..............

Reaction Score
I obviously got the wrong feed. I had to see a HS rec league fiasco complete with clutching, falling down, and passes flung into the middle of scrums, wild shots, and a whistle every 7 seconds. Argentina is terrible and if the US couldn't run a coherent offense against this club, they've got problems. Coco is correct, the U17 team would beat this U18 team. As for the two UConn kids, I'd hold off on the anointing and legend talk for now. They've got a long way to go to be a factor at the collegiate level, especially at UConn.

Reaction Score
I obviously got the wrong feed. I had to see a HS rec league fiasco complete with clutching, falling down, and passes flung into the middle of scrums, wild shots, and a whistle every 7 seconds. Argentina is terrible and if the US couldn't run a coherent offense against this club, they've got problems. Coco is correct, the U17 team would beat this U18 team. As for the two UConn kids, I'd hold off on the anointing and legend talk for now. They've got a long way to go to be a factor at the collegiate level, especially at UConn.

I was trying to be polite, but I can’t disagree. The two UConn recruits showed absolutely nothing on a team that looked to be very poorly coached. The U17 team would beat this team by 20 points.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Maya Moore's stats from her first U18 FIBA Americas tournament:

FG: 14-40 35% 3FG: 1-7 14%

ONO and CW shot 3-3 and 3-5, respectively. They grabbed rebounds and dished out a couple of assists each. They played 13 and 14 minutes. It was a rugged game with lots of fouls. They did fine.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Just got around to watching the first half, and I haven't read a single appraisal of this game. Yet.

One can immediately see this team as opposed to the U17 is not about pace. In the offensive end this team rarely cuts through the lane or uses quick passes, preferring to go 1V1. Lots of missed assignments on both ends. Liv got caught twice moving her feet too slowly and using hand checks to hold position. International refs will let you use your body a lot, but hand checks are a no. CW turned the ball over twice. Every time down the floor I keep imploring them to move the ball on offense to no avail. Most of the forwards look like they're running in mud. Most of the guards look like they have eyes only for the basket. I'm still rooting for Joens to do something positive. 3:56 in the half and she draws a shooting foul. I look at the score at 3:07 and their up by 20. You and I know the should be up by near 40.

Yep, the U17 wouldn't just beat this team, they'd run them out of the gym on athleticism alone. This team is not a fun watch.

And to the guy/troll who thought there's nothing to putting together a group of fine talent and winning a championship, and that Carla was such a horrible coach, you should be forced to watch this team every day, all day, for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was trying to be polite, but I can’t disagree. The two UConn recruits showed absolutely nothing on a team that looked to be very poorly coached. The U17 team would beat this team by 20 points.

as far as I'm concerned these games are almost meaningless when it comes to judging how effective a player will be during the college season...........Peoples is most likely going to be ND's lead point guard in two years.........somehow I think she may be end up being a pretty good player for that program despite how she played against a lousy Argentina team................certainly feel the same about the two UConn recruits and the majority of the other players on the U18 team

Reaction Score

ONO and CW shot 3-3 and 3-5, respectively. They grabbed rebounds and dished out a couple of assists each. They played 13 and 14 minutes. It was a rugged game with lots of fouls. They did fine.

Just out of curiosity, was Maya going into college or was she between her junior and senior year?

JordyG

Reaction Score
By the way, I called Smith and Blackwell for having good games on Monday.

Reaction Score

based on those international stats, I guess that Moore kid probably never got off the bench wherever she ended up playing basketball................:rolleyes:

JordyG

Reaction Score
as far as I'm concerned these games are almost meaningless when it comes to judging how effective a player will be during the college season......Peoples is most likely going to be ND's lead point guard in two years....somehow I think she may be end up being a pretty good player for that program despite how she played against a lousy Argentina team......certainly feel the same about the two UConn recruits and the majority of the other players on the U18 team
Perhaps. I wouldn't however completely dismiss these players performance in such a tourney out of hand, and I certainly would not call them meaningless. If so I may as well dismiss Horston, Jones, and Fudd's performance in the U17's. But you're right, many players take this experience, playing with great players against tough competition in foreign environments, and learn well from them. Nevertheless, I don't know too many who have been tourney MVP's and bombed at the next level.

Reaction Score
Perhaps. I wouldn't however completely dismiss these players performance in such a tourney out of hand, and I certainly would not call them meaningless. If so I may as well dismiss Horston, Jones, and Fudd's performance in the U17's. But you're right, many players take this experience, playing with great players against tough competition in foreign environments, and learn well from them. Nevertheless, I don't know too many who have been tourney MVP's and bombed at the next level.

Fudd could have missed every shot she took in that U17 tournament and she'd still be the most wanted recruit in America.........playing in a few games overseas with a bunch of other players/coaches you've only practiced with for a short time doesn't usually lead to optimal results..........the U17 team featured some spectacularly skilled players many of whom had played together last year too.........not sure if the same can be said for the majority of the U18's

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Both Williams and Nelson-Ododa did things that showed their talent. Williams had a big block, that nifty drive where she switched hands going up to score, and was in among the trees to rebound all day. One thing I think that was apparent though is that she would not make a good point guard due to issues against pressure. But she's a playmaker with a high IQ, strength, and shooting touch (despite the missed FT's). ONO hit a long jumper that was close to being a three, scored inside with the left hand, skied for a few rebounds, and made a strong interior pass for an assist.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can't and won't disagree with any comments suggesting we hold off on any anointments or things of that nature. Neither one had glaring numbers, but I think they did OK. I'm taking into account the coaching and discipline level their teammates and the frequency of the player rotation. . As I recall, they both looked pretty good in the McDonald's All-star game just a few months ago. We'll see how good Argentina is and how they fare against other teams.

Their skills could not have eroded that much that fast. I would suggest that we not make any decisions on either of our freshmen after just one game. They will play 5 more games over the next 6 days. Let's look at their total body of work first. After the championship game next Tuesday (and watching them play 6 games), then we can make a more intelligent and informed conclusion as to their potential for the upcoming season. Tonight's game might be their worst of the tournament. I'll be looking forward to reading everyone's overall/final observations come Tuesday evening.

Also keep in mind that it's very hard to gain any rhythm when you're being rotated in and out every 4-6 minutes, i.e., 5 in 5 out, and remember that the players they will be playing with at UConn are older, more polished and disciplined. Not to mention the more structured approach and attention to detail Geno demands. That makes a HUGE difference. At this point, I still see the glass as half full, and I'm still drinking the kool-aid. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I can't and won't disagree with any comments suggesting we hold off on any anointments or things of that nature. Neither one was overly impressive, but I'm taking into account the coaching and discipline level their teammates. As I recall, they both looked pretty good in the McDonald's All-star game just a few months ago.

Their skills could not have eroded that much that fast. I would suggest that we not make any decisions on either of our freshmen after just one game. They will play 5 more games over the next 6 days. Let's look at their total body of work first. After the championship game next Tuesday (and watching them play 6 games), then we can make a more intelligent and informed conclusion as to their potential for the upcoming season. Tonight's game might be their worst of the tournament. I'll be looking forward to reading everyone's overall/final observations come Tuesday evening.

All so keep in mind that it's very hard to gain any rhythm when you're being rotated in and out every 4-6 minutes, i.e., 5 in 5 out, and remember that the players they will be playing with at UConn are older, more polished and disciplined. Not to mention the more structured approach and attention to detail Geno demands. That makes a HUGE difference. ;)

gee........ if they really stink for the rest of the tournament can UConn revoke their scholarships or are they "stuck" with them?.............:rolleyes::rolleyes:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I didn’t go through the thread but am I the only one that thinks the U17 is WAAAAY better than the U18 team?

That U17 was FUN to watch, they played defense and passed the ball with a chemistry that I can’t remember seeing from any U17 team prior. Like they’ve played together for years. They looked cohesive and moved as a unit.

Reaction Score
I didn’t go through the thread but am I the only one that thinks the U17 is WAAAAY better than the U18 team?

That U17 was FUN to watch, they played defense and passed the ball with a chemistry that I can’t remember seeing from any U17 team prior. Like they’ve played together for years. They looked cohesive and moved as a unit.
I have not yet watched the game so my comments might well be worthless. But from reading alk the comments here, I'd like to focus not so much on the players but the coaching, choices of team members, style of play, substituation patterns, etc.
While this was their first game and clearly they have not been together so long and hopefully things will get a lot better by next week, I think it shows that while Jeff Wakz is always considered a top notch coach, if that's really true then the women's college game has big problems.
There are constant and repeated comments here about his recruiting style. Offering many scholarships hoping to get the few needed each year. Offering many players who essentially are very athletic and excellent one on one HS players. And then, essentially Louisville has been and seemingly will remain a run and gun type of team.
The on-going success of such a style in the women's or men's game at the college or pro level is very spotty at best. Yes, you make the tournament every year, and maybe occasionally you reach or come close to a FF or close to the championship series.
On a consistent basis he will rarely beat a Tara or MM, who actually recruit much more selectively, will only take the potentially great HS player unless they will work within their systems. Then have in place hard work, discipline and focus. This was how a ND team beat a more talented U Conn team last year.
And then if you move on to Geno, CD and U Conn, the requirements, expectations, demands reach another level.
In summary, Walz has developed a good program based upon recruiting a certain type and style of player, and essentially throwing many against the wall and seeing what will stick.
There are plenty of players and one example now is Zia Cooke. Unbelievable skills and talent but it comes with the downside of not making her teammates better and way too many turnovers.
Why a Jordan Horston would consider entrusting her future which is so very bright, to this type of program and style amazes me. Yes Walz is a better coach the HW, but isn't there strong similarities to U Tenn?? Top recruiting and much less real, on-going training and development.
Carla Berube coaching at Tufts is way ahead of Jeff Walz in more ways then one can count!
As to CW and Ono, this experience will be a useful one in their development. But only because they have hopefully four years of Geno, CD, the other coaches, their teammates, the culture that is U Conn to layer on top of it!
I think these two teams, U17 and U18, speak volumes of course about their players, but their coaches as well. I expect this team to improve over the next week but without solid training and coaching, in close, tight games you revert to one on one play, which is very hit or miss!
Bronx23

Reaction Score

the U17 team has some supremely talented players especially in the back court and many of them have played together before internationally, so you're not imagining things

Reaction Score
I have not yet watched the game so my comments might well be worthless. But from reading alk the comments here, I'd like to focus not so much on the players but the coaching, choices of team members, style of play, substituation patterns, etc.
While this was their first game and clearly they have not been together so long and hopefully things will get a lot better by next week, I think it shows that while Jeff Wakz is always considered a top notch coach, if that's really true then the women's college game has big problems.
There are constant and repeated comments here about his recruiting style. Offering many scholarships hoping to get the few needed each year. Offering many players who essentially are very athletic and excellent one on one HS players. And then, essentially Louisville has been and seemingly will remain a run and gun type of team.
The on-going success of such a style in the women's or men's game at the college or pro level is very spotty at best. Yes, you make the tournament every year, and maybe occasionally you reach or come close to a FF or close to the championship series.
On a consistent basis he will rarely beat a Tara or MM, who actually recruit much more selectively, will only take the potentially great HS player unless they will work within their systems. Then have in place hard work, discipline and focus. This was how a ND team beat a more talented U Conn team last year.
And then if you move on to Geno, CD and U Conn, the requirements, expectations, demands reach another level.
In summary, Walz has developed a good program based upon recruiting a certain type and style of player, and essentially throwing many against the wall and seeing what will stick.
There are plenty of players and one example now is Zia Cooke. Unbelievable skills and talent but it comes with the downside of not making her teammates better and way too many turnovers.
Why a Jordan Horston would consider entrusting her future which is so very bright, to this type of program and style amazes me. Yes Walz is a better coach the HW, but isn't there strong similarities to U Tenn?? Top recruiting and much less real, on-going training and development.
Carla Berube coaching at Tufts is way ahead of Jeff Walz in more ways then one can count!
As to CW and Ono, this experience will be a useful one in their development. But only because they have hopefully four years of Geno, CD, the other coaches, their teammates, the culture that is U Conn to layer on top of it!
I think these two teams, U17 and U18, speak volumes of course about their players, but their coaches as well. I expect this team to improve over the next week but without solid training and coaching, in close, tight games you revert to one on one play, which is very hit or miss!
Bronx23

I have a feeling if JW coached the current U17 team they'd have won their tournament by similar margins............as a matter of fact, you could have coached that U17 team to the tournament championship......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom