USA Today: UConn #14, projected 4th seed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA Today: UConn #14, projected 4th seed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
14/4 seems pretty fair to me. We're don't know who is going to fill the middle and while you can go a fairly long way in the college game with good guards, at some point someone will have to make a block or get a rebound and I'm not sure we have anybody who can do that yet. SMU isn't going to the dance I don't believe unless someone decides Larry Brown is compelling television and they land one of those bubble slots.

Honestly, I think that if we still had Wolf, with his size and another year of development, we'd be a top ten team. Right now we got potential, but I agree that we have too many questions in the middle. In truth, I think we're getting a ton of respect from the national media and coaches, but as KO says, "we're all 0-0". BTW, I hope that Kromah makes me eat my words about Wolf, comes out as a 5th year and is our microwave when we need to throw up some points in a hurry or step on a teams throat.

Reaction Score
How does Wolfe solve questions downlow? He wasn't even that good

Dmike

Reaction Score
How does Wolfe solve questions downlow? He wasn't even that good

He was inconsistent for sure just like all of our bigs last year, but he had some really good moments and was critical in some important runs throughout the season. The the Wake Forest and NC State games come to mind, but I know there were others. At 7'1" and 240+ Lbs with another year of experience, I think he could have helped. Plus, he was our only low post defender that could reliably hold his ground against bigger competition. We were 6-4 in the Big East prior to his suspension and 4-4 afterwards. Let's face it, size matters.

Reaction Score
He was inconsistent for sure just like all of our bigs last year, but he had some really good moments and was critical in some important runs throughout the season. The the Wake Forest and NC State games come to mind, but I know there were others. At 7'1" and 240+ Lbs with another year of experience, I think he could have helped. Plus, he was our only low post defender that could reliably hold his ground against bigger competition. We were 6-4 in the Big East prior to his suspension and 4-4 afterwards. Let's face it, size matters.

I would say Bazz's foot injury, Omar's wrist injury, and Niels breaking his finger had far more to do with that. They lost 3 in a row, Bazz missed 2 of those games and was injured for the entire 2nd half and OT of the 3rd game, Omar could barely shoot in all 3, and Niels missed one game and the 2nd half of another.

Dmike

Reaction Score
I would say Bazz's foot injury, Omar's wrist injury, and Niels breaking his finger had far more to do with that. They lost 3 in a row, Bazz missed 2 of those games and was injured for the entire 2nd half and OT of the 3rd game, Omar could barely shoot in all 3, and Niels missed one game and the 2nd half of another.

Point conceded. I always had high hopes for Wolf and thought he had a chance to have a Jake Voskhul type season. Heck, Voskhul only averaged around 6 pts. and 6 rebounds in the Huskies title run, but he could defend his position and with his size was a legitimate shot blocker. Its not unreasonable to think Wolf had a shot at pulling off that type of a season in his senior year.

Reaction Score

Our schedule also got tougher after Wolf went down. Of the ten BE games we played before Wolf went down, only four were against tournament teams. After his suspension, five of the eight games we played were against tournament teams, and as you said, the majority of them were played far from full strength.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Its been covered ad nauseum. I guess the fact were back on wolf means the season is close. Because I don't have the will power to not throw my two cents in, Wolf's most important contribution to our team was interior post defense which most overlook in the box score. I hope Brimah can fill those minutes, but its not lost on me that wolf certainly would have with offensive competency as a bonus. I think mike is on point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom