USA Today: UConn #14, projected 4th seed | The Boneyard

USA Today: UConn #14, projected 4th seed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Number 14 seems about right to me. Odd that there is no mention of Phil Nolan in the article, given that he will likely be our starting center.

Reaction Score
Number 14 seems about right to me. Odd that there is no mention of Phil Nolan in the article, given that he will likely be our starting center.

Olander being the starting C just because he started last year seems to be the consensus of the national media who didn't pay attention to the team last year because of the ban.

Reaction Score

By posters saying they expect or hope Phil starts, I don't think anyone is saying that he's going to be a monster this year. Its understood that the C spot is going to be filled by committee, I'm just hoping that Phil can be competent on the boards/limit the opposing team's 2nd chance opportunities, rotate properly on weakside defense, and provide some kind of deterent at the rim when players penetrate, whether it be simply getting there in time and putting his hands up or challenging shots at the rim, typical responsibilites of a CBB center. Same thing for Brimah. Hopefully Olander can as well but after watching him for 3 years and the disaster that was last year I don't have much confidence that he can.

Reaction Score
OK, it's not a poll, but it's their daily column breaking down the projected field of 68. UConn is their #14

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...sketball-countdown-no-14-connecticut/3146163/

Lots of information on the link and you'll enjoy the embed video if you haven't seen it already. But, most of all I got a kick out of this line:
Ollie's "10 feet in" approach in quest of a conference title

This projection has Memphis being seeded higher than Uconn, which means the AAC would have 3 teams in the top 15, with Cincinnati at 41 and SMU at 46 also getting to the dance, but not Houston or Temple.

Reaction Score
I think KF is the person who has a chance to get some real minutes outside of PN. Hope he is cleared- Mr Basketball for NY and shows a real solid set of skills for a freshman and has the lbs to mix it up in the paint.

It is interesting that our crappy league- while not as good top to bottom as the ACC or other power conferences- could have 5-6 teams in the NCAAs. SMU has a heck of a class coming in and could surprise some people and Houston is going to be better then people think as well. Even with the departure of Lville next year I could see SMU making a jump from below average to a team that could easily be on the bubble for the NCAAs next year.

The old BE was the best basketball Conference in the country and had 7-9 teams in the NCAAS- the AAC has less teams but might be able to average 50% of the teams making the dance- I am sugar coating a hot steamy pile but it is worth mentioning.

WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
It won't take much for him to win the starting job.

Hopefully it does because Amidah, Tyler and Phil are not settling on a committee position, but all gunning to own the position. Competition is good and I think that all three have the potential to be special. Phil and Tyler have shown it in spurts and Amidah feels like he has Thabeet potential. Michael Jordan's greatest skill wasn't his leaping ability, speed, accuracy or B-ball IQ, It was his focus every waking second of his life to be the best MJ he could be at what he happened to be doing at that moment. I hope that all three make handing out the starting job a tough task for Ollie, but despite Olander's offseason, which really was fairly mild in comparison to my high school and college experience, he should get the nod as the senior if the other two haven't out-competed him in practice.

Reaction Score
Olander will average 15 ppg...12 rpg ..you guys are underestimating him. Yeaaaa buddy

Reaction Score
OK, it's not a poll, but it's their daily column breaking down the projected field of 68. UConn is their #14

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...sketball-countdown-no-14-connecticut/3146163/

Lots of information on the link and you'll enjoy the embed video if you haven't seen it already. But, most of all I got a kick out of this line:
Ollie's "10 feet in" approach in quest of a conference title

Lol at "10 feet in". Very in-depth write-up. High quality with some nice tidbits (liked the tweet from Bruce Pearl). Thanks for the post.

People didn't follow UConn last year cuz of their ineligibilty, but when you realize that they return 4 double figure scorers from a 20-10 season, you know they can be good. I can't wait for the season to start.

They also featured a nice write-up on the AAC, and mentioned Bazz, Boat, and DD as all potential stars in the league (even though DD got snubbed at the AAC media day). Louisville was the only other team where they mentioned three players.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Based on USA Today's list we will have 13 regular season games against tournament teams:

Louisville x2: Top 13 TBR
Memphis x2: Top 13 TBR
Florida: Top 13 TBR
Indiana: 26
Harvard: 31
Stanford: 38
Cinci x2: 41
Maryland: 43
SMU x2: 46

Ho Hum.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Based on USA Today's list we will have 13 regular season games against tournament teams:

Louisville x2: Top 13 TBR
Memphis x2: Top 13 TBR
Florida: Top 13 TBR
Indiana: 26
Harvard: 31
Stanford: 38
Cinci x2: 41
Maryland: 43
SMU x2: 46

Ho Hum.

We have to get by BC in preseason NIT to get to Indiana and they have to get by Washington, which is the most likely scenario. We also will likely see these AAC teams again in the tournament. If 50% of the new league makes the tourney - I'll be quite pleased.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
While I think 14 is a few spots low, it's a fair starting point. Beat the Turtle and beat IU/UW and UConn is in the top 10. Once you get in the top 10 you are talked about consistently.

And that's all you can ask for. Win, get in the conversation, get a 1-3 seed and win it all.

Reaction Score
Hopefully it does because Amidah, Tyler and Phil are not settling on a committee position, but all gunning to own the position. Competition is good and I think that all three have the potential to be special. Phil and Tyler have shown it in spurts and Amidah feels like he has Thabeet potential. Michael Jordan's greatest skill wasn't his leaping ability, speed, accuracy or B-ball IQ, It was his focus every waking second of his life to be the best MJ he could be at what he happened to be doing at that moment. I hope that all three make handing out the starting job a tough task for Ollie, but despite Olander's offseason, which really was fairly mild in comparison to my high school and college experience, he should get the nod as the senior if the other two haven't out-competed him in practice.

Amidah definitely has potential. However, more often than not his freshman year will be 10-15 minutes off the bench.

Reaction Score
Another thing I like about this is that I believe we are being underestimated due to last years ban. I know it's hard to say when they have us at 14. If i am right we may end up 2 seed or better.

Reaction Score
14/4 seems pretty fair to me. We're don't know who is going to fill the middle and while you can go a fairly long way in the college game with good guards, at some point someone will have to make a block or get a rebound and I'm not sure we have anybody who can do that yet. SMU isn't going to the dance I don't believe unless someone decides Larry Brown is compelling television and they land one of those bubble slots.

Reaction Score
14/4 seems pretty fair to me. We're don't know who is going to fill the middle and while you can go a fairly long way in the college game with good guards, at some point someone will have to make a block or get a rebound and I'm not sure we have anybody who can do that yet. SMU isn't going to the dance I don't believe unless someone decides Larry Brown is compelling television and they land one of those bubble slots.

Feel the same way. They're another year or two away, depending on how much they get out of Frazier and Mudiay; they'll be studs together next year. I think Houston had a better shot; Thomas and House are both stud forwards.

Reaction Score
Daniels is clearly an above average defender for his position, he also borderline excellent at weakside help. Nolan is definitely the biggest question, very intriguing one. if he really takes a step forward on both sides of the ball, not only will we be winning ; it'll be a huge statement to Ollie's ability to develop talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom