USA - Serbia recap, quotes, box, etc. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA - Serbia recap, quotes, box, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Regarding all of the comments about energy and effort, I think the players, as individuals, were definitely dialed in and focused. But their collective effort defensively, in terms of everyone being on the same page with switches, etc., was not there. Developing chemistry takes time and playing together. This is a team of individual stars, some of whom have played together in the past, going up against national teams that play together constantly. So it will take time for the team chemistry to match the individual effort.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Cam about team defense. They do not yet have the cohesiveness that the UConn team does, because of lack of practice time. I noticed defenders bumping into each other in the Canada game. I think they have gotten better, but there is still lots of room for improvement.

Reaction Score
I have certainly not felt that defensively the problem was with the guards especially on on-ball-screens - it has been with the forwards/centers getting caught in no man's land and not guarding either player - not forcing the guard to move around them by not showing strong enough, and at the same time allowing the pick player to move into space. And the resulting parting of the seas defense speaks to the rotational defense of the other three players as well.
I have actually been really impressed with Dupree - she is shooting 5-10, with 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, and zero turnovers in 35 total minutes. She has also influenced many more rebounds by keeping them alive for another teammate to grab. Her defense has been solid without fouling.
USA fouling has not been too out of balance with their opponents, but they have clustered them into single quarters so in both games the opponent has had at least one quarter where they have lived at the line. And they have been making stupid fouls - Griner picked up one offensive plowing foul and a defensive foul on a layup she wasn't contesting but she just ran into the player after the shot was taken - DT with her elbow and a few others, Angel with her fouls.

I also found it really interesting to read Geno's comments about the new format and how it was bad news for the USA - with only 3 games instead of 6 prior to the knock-out stage the team has fewer games to actually train. With the rest days the depth of the USA squad is less effective as well since the other team's starters will not be as worn down by the medal round.

The women's hoops world is changing faster than the men's - with all of the viable international leagues, there is actually a lot more professional work for international players than for USA players, and the fact that the USA players play in those leagues raises the quality of the competition. We are rapidly approaching a time when the three months of training for those teams will be a deciding factor. Realistically, at this moment for this USA team, the full roster of either the Mercury or the Lynx would be playing better than the USA team because they have had those three months to gel as a unit. The hope is by game 6 of the tournament that will not be the case.
I would take the Mercury or Lynx against the world

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The women's hoops world is changing faster than the men's - with all of the viable international leagues, there is actually a lot more professional work for international players than for USA players, and the fact that the USA players play in those leagues raises the quality of the competition. We are rapidly approaching a time when the three months of training for those teams will be a deciding factor. Realistically, at this moment for this USA team, the full roster of either the Mercury or the Lynx would be playing better than the USA team because they have had those three months to gel as a unit. The hope is by game 6 of the tournament that will not be the case.

The USA team is made up of the best of the USA. The Lynx and the Mercury has some of these players, and they some from other countries who would not be included on the roster of the USA team. True, the two WNBA teams have had time to gel, but I consider those 20 point wins, as difficult as they appeared to be a good effort for a team of the best who have only been all together for a few days.

Take that chippy Serbia team - a really good Serbia team, whose quality has been raised because of the infusion of US players - and put them against the Mercury/Lynx without their non-US brethren? I have some great deal of doubt that the outcome would be the same.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Regarding all of the comments about energy and effort, I think the players, as individuals, were definitely dialed in and focused. But their collective effort defensively, in terms of everyone being on the same page with switches, etc., was not there. Developing chemistry takes time and playing together. This is a team of individual stars, some of whom have played together in the past, going up against national teams that play together constantly. So it will take time for the team chemistry to match the individual effort.

well said.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sims is a very physical player and I think she would thrive in that type of game. Next to Whalen, she is probably the most physical PG in the WNBA. And of the three PGs, she is the fastest and when she gets the ball in her hands she is headed straight down the court. She would increase our fast break opportunities.

And nobody competes any harder than Sims.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sims is a very physical player and I think she would thrive in that type of game. Next to Whalen, she is probably the most physical PG in the WNBA. And of the three PGs, she is the fastest and when she gets the ball in her hands she is headed straight down the court. She would increase our fast break opportunities.

And nobody competes any harder than Sims.
Odyssey is physical, but international play makes the WNBA look like child's play. She needs more experience, which she will get. She also needs to become more familiar with the coach's system. Sue was in a similar position in 2002.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Odyssey is physical, but international play makes the WNBA look like child's play. She needs more experience, which she will get. She also needs to become more familiar with the coach's system. Sue was in a similar position in 2002.

There is no way that Bird is more capable of handling the physical play than Sims. Nor is Bird as fast as Sims. I will put Sims up against any other PG in the world when it comes to strength and speed.

As far as experience goes, you are right that Bird has much more experience and is more familiar with Geno's system.

G

genosguy

Excuse my ignorance--BUT!! I've
Excuse my ignorance--BuT!! I've been wondering. These are all (almost) professional paid women. What does USA cover in Costs', lost pay, room/board/travel/stipends/ all the "out of pocket" expenses these women (and coaching staff) have while traveling and playing for the US of A???? God Bless America..

G

genosguy

I'm not a Sim
There is no way that Bird is more capable of handling the physical play than Sims. Nor is Bird as fast as Sims. I will put Sims up against any other PG in the world when it comes to strength and speed.

As far as experience goes, you are right that Bird has much more experience and is more familiar with Geno's system.
I'm not a Sims fan. I saw a tiny very light Moriah Jefferson take Sims out of the game, until the game was decided, then Sims scored her 20 when they meant nothing. Sims is physical, a hothead, and Jefferson controlled her.
Sue Bird is probably the best point guard in the world. Demands and gets top dollar in Europe. If she was unworthy as an international player do you think she'd get the pay she does? There more to the game than just who physically controls who, even in FIBA.

G

genosguy

Difficult to arra
D

Difficult to arrange WNBA schedules to allow 3 months of togetherness. But you are right, it takes time to acclimate with a new team and new coaching. If the rest of the world has months (if not years of chemistry ) eventually it shall catch up with USA.
Canada had one outstanding player who could only give them 5 days prior to the games. As great as she was they didn't take her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom