USA - Serbia recap, quotes, box, etc. | The Boneyard

USA - Serbia recap, quotes, box, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Geno
"I think sometimes on the outside, people think you just show up, roll the ball out and we have 25 points right away. It doesn’t work that way. These are national teams. They have players that are good. They know how to make shots, they know how to play. They’re experienced. They play well together. So, it takes us time because this is our training camp. These games are kind of like our training camp. These last five or six games we played in Paris and here."

Yup

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Geno again:

What were some of the things that you might change up for future games?

I don’t know that there’s anything that we would change. I think every game we’re trying to figure out defensively what works and what doesn’t. That’s the hardest part to teach when you’re not together for a long time, because defense takes five players playing as one, talking and communicating. So, we have to keep getting better defensively. Our offense is going to be there. We’re going to score points every night, we have too many good players. So, every day it’s about how we can get better on defense.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Geno had great stuff to say tonight. there's more...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the link.

Maya and DT really found their stroke today. Whalen was strong going to the basket and had some nifty passes.

BG needs to quit picking up those early fouls. She needs to stay on the court in the first half. That one pick was a monster but not necessary. There is no need to pick up a foul 25 feet from the basket.

Reaction Score
Geno again:

What were some of the things that you might change up for future games?

I don’t know that there’s anything that we would change. I think every game we’re trying to figure out defensively what works and what doesn’t. That’s the hardest part to teach when you’re not together for a long time, because defense takes five players playing as one, talking and communicating. So, we have to keep getting better defensively. Our offense is going to be there. We’re going to score points every night, we have too many good players. So, every day it’s about how we can get better on defense.

Get better on defense: During one timeout Geno told the group to "get your hands up" and repeated it several times. Serbia took the ball out and the only one to raise a hand (and only one at that) was Augustus. The Serbs passed the ball around and not a hand went up. But I can understand, with these All-Americans, European all-stars and WNBA All-Pros on the team, it is much too risky to raise there hands and arms above their head: possible stretched arm syndrome!:(
And while I am coaching the team, to improve team play give Bird - still talented, just not elite anymore - and McCoughtry - Ms. I don't need anyone, I can do it alone - the last few minutes and use Sims and Stewart in the ten player rotation. It won't hurt and might even help.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Get better on defense: During one timeout Geno told the group to "get your hands up" and repeated it several times. Serbia took the ball out and the only one to raise a hand (and only one at that) was Augustus. The Serbs passed the ball around and not a hand went up. But I can understand, with these All-Americans, European all-stars and WNBA All-Pros on the team, it is much too risky to raise there hands and arms above their head: possible stretched arm syndrome!:(
And while I am coaching the team, to improve team play give Bird - still talented, just not elite anymore - and McCoughtry - Ms. I don't need anyone, I can do it alone - the last few minutes and use Sims and Stewart in the ten player rotation. It won't hurt and might even help.

He said that they continuously work on defense. I suspect that the arms will get up there.

regarding the rest: you should probably send Geno an email. :p

Reaction Score
He said that they continuously work on defense. I suspect that the arms will get up there.

regarding the rest: you should probably send Geno an email. :p

I think I'll send it to his wife, it is just possible he might not listen to me (too busy trying to get the team's hands up).:)

Reaction Score
Thanks for the link.

Maya and DT really found their stroke today. Whalen was strong going to the basket and had some nifty passes.

BG needs to quit picking up those early fouls. She needs to stay on the court in the first half. That one pick was a monster but not necessary. There is no need to pick up a foul 25 feet from the basket.
BG is young...she's going to keep getting better, much better...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BG is young...she's going to keep getting better, much better...

She's automatic on offense. And she is getting shots right at the rim. A few times she had passed to Charles when she really should have just gone up with the shot, but I'm glad she trying to develop chemistry with Tina.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Seimone is the only one that appears to be hungry and not just going thru the motions

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Seimone is the only one that appears to be hungry and not just going thru the motions
I'm not sure that is true. Maya was all energy all the time. I've never seen Nneka take a play off. As Geno said, it's easy to say "hey this is team USA. Roll the ball out there and we get 25 points easy".

But it doesn't work that way. They are playing teams who have been together for a long time. it's not surprising that USA is struggling at times, and look out of synch at times. As Geno said, the offense is there. It's the defense that needs work...

One other thing I noticed - Maya is the only one who still runs everywhere, more or less. When she's on the court and Geno calls a TO, she runs over to him. The rest of the players walk. Dee is also pretty good about the energy like that too, but not quite where Maya is...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It is much different being at the games than watching on tv/computer. You really get a feel for the game, the defensive pressure etc. I don't believe either Sims or Stewart would have done particularly well in that game. Last night's game was extremely physical as experienced wnba players were struggling with it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I totally agree with Eric. Everyone struggled a bit on defense last night, but Maya worked very hard. She ran down a player on a break-away, she got a tip-in among the trees, and she took good shots. She runs the floor better than anyone. There was a reason she played the most minutes.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the young players are always going to have energy... nerves etc.

Augustus just seems to try to take her player off the dribble, maybe thats called too much 1 on 1! she's battling for offensive rebounds, good D etc.

I haven't paid much attention to Whalen but Bird isn't doing anything spectacular to me (without looking at the boxscore) ... I would rather have Sims (i not Y and 1 M?) getting more time than Bird. Yup Bird has the experience and all that (yada yada yada) but when your offensive is stagnant I think OSims would create something for better or worse (who knows). just as "O-B-Kay" has been doing fresh young legs.

yeah I know, Im not the coach, dont have 9 titles and gold blah blah blah but...

Maya is ok but of course she cant beat anyone off the dribble... breakaways and crisp passes is what she needs to create. Give Seimone the ball and clear out.

as someone already mentioned Griner is unstoppable but she needs to stay on the court, Tina is ripping down the boards. Dupree is ok. DT needs to stop with the touchdown passes. Sometimes there's too much interior passing.

I understand that they team was just put together and is trying to gel but... if the field was stronger the USA wouldn't be flying home with the GOLD hands down

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Augustus just seems to try to take her player off the dribble, maybe thats called too much 1 on 1! she's battling for offensive rebounds, good D etc.

I haven't paid much attention to Whalen but Bird isn't doing anything spectacular to me (without looking at the boxscore) ... I would rather have Sims (i not Y and 1 M?) getting more time than Bird. Yup Bird has the experience and all that (yada yada yada) but when your offensive is stagnant I think OSims would create something for better or worse (who knows). just as "O-B-Kay" has been doing fresh young legs.

yeah I know, Im not the coach, dont have 9 titles and gold blah blah blah but...

Maya is ok but of course she cant beat anyone off the dribble... breakaways and crisp passes is what she needs to create. Give Seimone the ball and clear out.

as someone already mentioned Griner is unstoppable but she needs to stay on the court, Tina is ripping down the boards. Dupree is ok. DT needs to stop with the touchdown passes. Sometimes there's too much interior passing.

I understand that they team was just put together and is trying to gel but... if the field was stronger the USA wouldn't be flying home with the GOLD hands down
I usually agree with DC more.

Augustus is one of the best at creating her shot. But she can't take all the shots and sometimes her shot is off. She needs to play within the context of the offense, which she largely has done. If Maya and Diana are not on the floor, Seimone may be the best perimeter scoring option.

I'm not sure what Odyssey could do. She should get lots of playing time against Angola, so we'll see. The opponents are very physical and experienced. Players who have played internationally have a big advantage.

"Maya is ok but of course she cant beat anyone off the dribble." I could not disagree more. Maya has been fabulous. She brings energy and a range of skills that no one else does. She has the shots that Diana has, plus rebounding. Her energy is outstanding.

Don'd disrespect the field. Both the China and Serbia games were close for 20-30 minutes. The French, Turks, Aussies, and a couple of others are tough as well. I think we can win most/all our games by double-digits, but Geno noted that these games are tough. Watching in person gives a clear sense of that.

Tuesday's game should be a 40-point win at least. That's the respite. Then we get the good teams in the medal round. Serbia may be one of them.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
USA isnt going to chance it with any newbie... if they were to lose they would want their top-dogs out there swinging and fighting. Geno has a tough job during these games, looking for the right 5.

Im impressed with Tina as well... a rebounding machine.

its just tough when you see Serbia hanging around with the best of the best... us spoiled american

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
USA isnt going to chance it with any newbie... if they were to lose they would want their top-dogs out there swinging and fighting. Geno has a tough job during these games, looking for the right 5.

Im impressed with Tina as well... a rebounding machine.

its just tough when you see Serbia hanging around with the best of the best... us spoiled american
The Serbians were great shooters when they were set. In the second half, we made them shoot off balance or off the dribble. If it were a free throw shooting contest, my money would be on them. Their FTs rarely hit the rim, and some barely touched the net on the way through. They were VERY impressive at shooting.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be shocked to see Spain with the Gold Medal with their guard play. USA should dominate up front and that might be enough to win the Gold Medal. I suspect if USA meets France, they'll beat them. Can't see team losing to France twice.

I also agree with your comment about seeing more of Odyssey as she's probably the best defensive guard on Team USA. Geno might be thinking that Odyssey won't handle the pick and rolls because of her lack of experience. IMHO can't go to Rio with the same guard lineup. Other teams have younger guards who are only going to get better, while USA's are at the end of their basketball playing days.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and I understand USA doesn't have time to teach OSims the pick & roll defense

by the way... how did they lose to France, did France shoot lights out or USA just wasnt clicking, Griner's absence? just asking cause I didnt watch the game nor dissect the boxscore

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA lost to France because Gruda had a monster game scoring 26 points in 30 minutes of play. She was left wide open on short jumpers and she made them. Also didn't help that Maya was 1-10 and DT 3-13. Don't see it happening again as USA will do a better job on Gruda.

and I understand USA doesn't have time to teach OSims the pick & roll defense

by the way... how did they lose to France, did France shoot lights out or USA just wasnt clicking, Griner's absence? just asking cause I didnt watch the game nor dissect the boxscore

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have certainly not felt that defensively the problem was with the guards especially on on-ball-screens - it has been with the forwards/centers getting caught in no man's land and not guarding either player - not forcing the guard to move around them by not showing strong enough, and at the same time allowing the pick player to move into space. And the resulting parting of the seas defense speaks to the rotational defense of the other three players as well.
I have actually been really impressed with Dupree - she is shooting 5-10, with 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, and zero turnovers in 35 total minutes. She has also influenced many more rebounds by keeping them alive for another teammate to grab. Her defense has been solid without fouling.
USA fouling has not been too out of balance with their opponents, but they have clustered them into single quarters so in both games the opponent has had at least one quarter where they have lived at the line. And they have been making stupid fouls - Griner picked up one offensive plowing foul and a defensive foul on a layup she wasn't contesting but she just ran into the player after the shot was taken - DT with her elbow and a few others, Angel with her fouls.

I also found it really interesting to read Geno's comments about the new format and how it was bad news for the USA - with only 3 games instead of 6 prior to the knock-out stage the team has fewer games to actually train. With the rest days the depth of the USA squad is less effective as well since the other team's starters will not be as worn down by the medal round.

The women's hoops world is changing faster than the men's - with all of the viable international leagues, there is actually a lot more professional work for international players than for USA players, and the fact that the USA players play in those leagues raises the quality of the competition. We are rapidly approaching a time when the three months of training for those teams will be a deciding factor. Realistically, at this moment for this USA team, the full roster of either the Mercury or the Lynx would be playing better than the USA team because they have had those three months to gel as a unit. The hope is by game 6 of the tournament that will not be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom