Reaction Score
and that's it. 119 to 44

Someone please do stats. I have to run to rehearsal
ciao everybody

Reactions: HGN

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Glad to see Sims & Stewie getting some good minutes to air it out. Sims looks good. Stewie playing some decent D

I thought they both had some quality minutes. Nice to see the youngsters get some quality time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought they both had some quality minutes. Nice to see the youngsters get some quality time.
Agree and really good experience for both. Sims is fast, but too fast sometimes - I thought she made a few entry passes with a high degree of difficulty that put the recipient in an unfavorable situation, rather than making a simpler pass and letting the offense develop. She is very good, but needs a little more patience I think in this situation.
This was Angel's best game - she seemed to be going too hard to make something happen the first two games - she just seemed more relaxed this time.
I know that some people thing Bird is old and slow, but there is a benefit to a more sedate pace with so many good players - run when you have a clear break, push some for the secondary break chances, but accept the challenge of using more of the shot clock when those options aren't apparent. Whalen also has that quality of patience. With so many good passers and so many good scorers, in most instances, USA will get a great open shot if they make five passes against any defense.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UcMiami said:
Agree and really good experience for both. Sims is fast, but too fast sometimes - I thought she made a few entry passes with a high degree of difficulty that put the recipient in an unfavorable situation, rather than making a simpler pass and letting the offense develop. She is very good, but needs a little more patience I think in this situation.
This was Angel's best game - she seemed to be going too hard to make something happen the first two games - she just seemed more relaxed this time.
I know that some people thing Bird is old and slow, but there is a benefit to a more sedate pace with so many good players - run when you have a clear break, push some for the secondary break chances, but accept the challenge of using more of the shot clock when those options aren't apparent. Whalen also has that quality of patience. With so many good passers and so many good scorers, in most instances, USA will get a great open shot if they make five passes against any defense.

And that's the rub actually... Unless you're running a fastbreak, bring it slowly see what the defense is doing, get your players in position and then begin your sequence... Reduces turnover and increases the likelihood of making a bucket.

Lindsay sometimes will rush the play - not often - she's gotten so much better, and Odyssey will pick it up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ummmm....I am wrong...USA is shellacking poor Angola

We have 3 minutes to go in the first quarter and USA is up 27 - 6.
Griner just blocked Angola.

Usual starters....subs are in, looks like the entire starting line-up was just subbed out
Yep, hockey line substitutions tonight.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
WNBA players aren't accustomed to making 4 or 5 passes before taking a shot.... ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We shot well tonight, though did miss some bunnies (Tina and Brit, at least).

Angola had a few decent players, but they were grossly overmatched.

The Team USA fan base cheered for Angola baskets early on. We were concerned it could be 150-0.

Maya was excellent again. Nneka led in scoring, I believe. Seimone and Brit each had 15. Angel played much better. It was good to see her get out of her funk.

I chatted briefly with Glory before the game.

One of our new Turkish friends sat with us. She's a huge Diana fan. Also a UConn fan.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Youth. Gotta live it. Geno will get her there.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said:

The Team USA fan base cheered for Angola baskets early on. We were concerned it could be 150-0.

Maya was excellent again. Nneka led in scoring, I believe. Seimone and Brit each had 15. Angel played much better. It was good to see her get out of her funk.

One of our new Turkish friends sat with us. She's a huge Diana fan. Also a UConn fan.

usa fans are very sportsmanlike - that was a nice thing to do... Angola hit some threes and 2 buzzer beaters I must say.

Nneka has really impressed me and I think she is a super new addition to the team. I think she fits in well with Geno's system and is able to shine quite a lot and she benefits from his offense. She is certainly fun to watch.

How is Glory? Is she enjoying her stay in Turkey (with Brit)?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Diana had a huge amount of support from the Turkish fan base when she was caught up in the drug testing mess.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Got to say that although the announcers knew the game (and yes gave the UConn plug), it shocked me that they didn't know women's basketball enough to distinguish between Brittney Griner and Stewie -- even with names on our jerseys. Kind of makes me feel better about the USA scrimmage announcer who kept butchering the Ogwumike name, but at least he had the right person!

If a female announcer for the men's team did the same thing there would be consequences.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Got to say that although the announcers knew the game (and yes gave the UConn plug), it shocked me that they didn't know women's basketball enough to distinguish between Brittney Griner and Stewie -- even with names on our jerseys. Kind of makes me feel better about the USA scrimmage announcer who kept butchering the Ogwumike name, but at least he had the right person!

If a female announcer for the men's team did the same thing there would be consequences.
They actually do know the difference, the guy just got screwed up with the name - the stats he was giving were for Breanna so he knew who he was watching just slipped up on the name.
And I agree with the general positive reviews - even in a game that was a blow out by around the 5 minute mark, they continued to call the game, generally reported the substitutions, and they are well informed about the other teams as well.

Reaction Score
Couldn't watch the game after the first few minutes. Blowouts are boring.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Striper69 said:
Couldn't watch the game after the first few minutes. Blowouts are boring.

They're actually interesting from the standpoint of watching Geno's teams work on their plays and sets, offensive and defensive.

I find it interesting but I guess it's not everybody's cup of tea

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
See the video highlights at http://www.fiba.com/world/women/2014/videos. At the 5 second mark in the row in front of Kathy Auriemma, you can see MilfordHusky, Daphne (our new Turkish friend, who is a big Diana fan), EricSanDiego, and UConnCat. ThisJustIn was working down on press row.
ISTANBUL.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great picture Biff! i knew there was a way to pull a picture from a youtube still, but i have no idea how to do it. Can you send that to me? Thanks!!!!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Great picture Biff! i knew there was a way to pull a picture from a youtube still, but i have no idea how to do it. Can you send that to me? Thanks!!!!
Send me a PM with the e-mail you want me to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom