Updated scholarship grid, 2/16/24 | The Boneyard

Updated scholarship grid, 2/16/24

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
92985525-9414-4C22-8C4F-7AA59394B311.jpeg

Reaction Score
I thought that a coach could turn an athletic scholarship into an academic scholarship if a player decided that they would not be playing enough minutes and wanted to continue attending the institution. Thus, an athletic scholarship would open up. True?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought that a coach could turn an athletic scholarship into an academic scholarship if a player decided that they would not be playing enough minutes and wanted to continue attending the institution. Thus, an athletic scholarship would open up. True?
No.
JoePgh- - Would it be legal for the two players making big bucks on NIL, Paige and Azzi, revoke their scholarships and pay their own way? Opening up the 2 scholarship spots needed!
IMHO I don't think Geno would TAKE AWAY a scholarship!
Maybe.

I believe once you are recruited player you are counted towards the scholarship limit. But I do recall that there was consideration of one of the men's basketball players coming off scholarship to make room for then phenom Andre Drummond. In the end, Drummond came on as a preferred walk on so I'm not 100% sure it's possible.

Reaction Score
JoePgh- - Would it be legal for the two players making big bucks on NIL, Paige and Azzi, revoke their scholarships and pay their own way? Opening up the 2 scholarship spots needed!
IMHO I don't think Geno would TAKE AWAY a scholarship!
In the future, if college athletes are going to become employees (see Dartmouth men), why not fire the unproductive ones?

Reaction Score
Does a red shirt year count against the count? Say if a certain incoming freshman has an injury and can take next year to heal? Would that count against the limit?
Big Brother Bb21 GIF by Big Brother After Dark

Reaction Score
Does a red shirt year count against the count? Say if a certain incoming freshman has an injury and can take next year to heal? Would that count against the limit?
Big Brother Bb21 GIF by Big Brother After Dark

Yes it counts towards the number of scholarships

Reaction Score
Perhaps, I'm wrong, but 15 is the limit for WBB scholarships, you can add a 16th with say a field hockey scholarship

Reaction Score
Paige also has 2025-26 available, in case we get Sarah Strong, the roster is filled for next 2 years
I think the natural inclination is too look ahead one year at a time, but you are right that the tight roster constraints affect far more than just next year. There is an opportunity cost there. If we got Sarah, and Paige came back for a second additional year, and that meant no more 2025 recruits or portal additions for that year, I think that is a price we would be willing to pay.

If we have a roster spot for next year for someone, and don't get Sarah that opportunity cost could play an even bigger role. For example we know Rodriquez is in the mix, potentially as a plan B if we don't get Sarah. If we use that spot on her, it affects the next four years, creating the same 25/26 roster crunch that Sarah would.

Maybe we are willing to give up another 2025 recruit for the top ranked 2024 recruit, but would we want to potentially close the door on the many 25 prospects we are pursuing to add a prospect that is currently not ranked in the top 100, who also is probably not big enough to solve our isuues with not enough proven bigs?

If we hit that point, namely one remaining 2024/25 spot available and Sarah is not coming, I think the portal is probably the best way to go. We of course would be looking for a proven big and don't know who may throw their name in the hat, but the odds are probably better of meeting immediate team needs that way, and if it were only for one year it wouldn't affect our ability to pursue another 2025 recruit.

Obviously things could happen that opens up additional spots, but probably for the next two seasons every decision to add a player has to be weighed against the potential downside of not being able to pursue others. I think Sarah is worth it, Rodriquez may not be, and if we lose out on Sarah, a one year big fix might be our best bet.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
A coach can have as many players as they like but only 15 can have scholarships. The others must be walk-ons

Can a walk on travel with the team? Any restrictions on educational support?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Can a walk on travel with the team? Any restrictions on educational support?
I linked an article that I added on edit. From that article, the answer depends on whether she is a preferred walk-on or not. I seem to remember Geno’s previous walk-ons traveling with the team but could be wrong

NIL could be a game changer in getting good players to accept a role as a walk-on

Walk-ons can be classified in a few different tiers by basketball programs. There are preferred walk ons, who usually have a guaranteed roster spot, and enjoy many of the same perks as full scholarship or partial scholarship athletes from a training and educational resource perspective. However, they do not receive any scholarship assistance from the school, and would have to pay their way through college(if they don’t transfer somewhere else with scholarship assistance).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom