Updated recruiting page | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Updated recruiting page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I have projected Gabby to move back to a guard and should make the transition.

I think you can forget that. She's way too unique and valuable where she is. Ball-handling and perimeter play is not her strength.

Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield played with Moriah Jefferson on the U-16 team? Crystal would've been 11 when Moriah was 15.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
LOL, love your avatar. Slapshot is one of my favorite sports movies.
Great movie- and I believe that movie was absolutely inspired by the Eastern Hockey League & the New Haven Blades. Every Wed & Sunday night, we witnessed Slapshot. It was the most exciting and entertaining evening you'll ever have, for the money!!! If you like that sort of thing!!!!

Reaction Score
Prospect's Nation paid service has Ionescu's supposed top 7. UConn isn't on the list, though I'm not sure how accurate it is. Its a weird mix of teams.

Reaction Score
I think you can forget that. She's way too unique and valuable where she is. Ball-handling and perimeter play is not her strength.
Would agree, but we have three similar coming in next year, could be overloaded at forward.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Would agree, but we have three similar coming in next year, could be overloaded at forward.

The good thing is that players in that 3-4 ish position range can all play together, certainly the ones UConn recruits. So, for instance, Gabby, KLS, and Collier/Tuck could likely all play on the floor together as long as there is a ball-handler (Jeff/Chong/Danger) out there too. And Gabby moves well enough to defend out on the perimeter which should allow someone like KLS to guard a little more towards the sidelines.

Remember that on offense KLS will often be playing the role of a guard so there should be some room in the middle for Gabby and Collier/Tuck to operate.

Reaction Score
The good thing is that players in that 3-4 ish position range can all play together, certainly the ones UConn recruits. So, for instance, Gabby, KLS, and Collier/Tuck could likely all play on the floor together as long as there is a ball-handler (Jeff/Chong/Danger) out there too. And Gabby moves well enough to defend out on the perimeter which should allow someone like KLS to guard a little more towards the sidelines.

You'll be able to have almost any combination of Danger and/or Kia and/or Chong, KLS, Gabby, Collier, Boykin, Tuck, Butler as they can play different positions (with the exception of Danger as a 1 and Butler as a 5).

Last edited by a moderator:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You'll be able to have almost any combination of Danger and/or Kia and/or Chong, KLS, Gabby, Collier, Boykin, Tuck, Butler as they can play different positions (with the exception of Danger as a 1 and Butler as a 5).

I agree which is why it's ok to have an abundance of 3/4 and hybrid types. I do think finding ways to get so many good players enough PT might be a problem, but not due to positional issues.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
those middle school stats must be the drawing card

Never too early to follow the next big thing though.

She just put 25 on Cedar Hill and Joyner Holmes about an hour ago.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Just a name to keep an eye on.

Zarielle “Zay” Green, Duncanville, guard: The freshman made five 3-pointers and scored 25 points as the state’s sixth-ranked 6A team beat Cedar Hill 68-60 and clinched the District 8-6A title. Green made four 3-pointers and scored 14 points in the second quarter as Duncanville (28-5, 11-0) outscored Cedar Hill 21-12 after trailing by three entering the quarter.

JS

Reaction Score
Just a name to keep an eye on.

Zarielle “Zay” Green, Duncanville, guard: The freshman made five 3-pointers and scored 25 points as the state’s sixth-ranked 6A team beat Cedar Hill 68-60 and clinched the District 8-6A title. Green made four 3-pointers and scored 14 points in the second quarter as Duncanville (28-5, 11-0) outscored Cedar Hill 21-12 after trailing by three entering the quarter.

Zarielle

"When I played my age group it was different. Girls are different level. A little slower than usual."

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

Remember that on offense KLS will often be playing the role of a guard so there should be some room in the middle for Gabby and Collier/Tuck to operate.
It will be interesting to see if Gabby can do against South Carolina what she has been doing against the AAC. I'm not convinced that she can make those acrobatic shots off the glass against serious post defenders with height. Remember that she didn't do much (or play many minutes) in the Duke game.

I don't know why she couldn't use the gifts that she has shown if she were playing from a guard position against guard-sized defenders (i.e., the kind of post defenders that inhabit the AAC). I don't see any reason to question her ball handling skills, and no reason at all (far from it) to question her ability on perimeter defense. I agree that her jump shooting appears to need serious work, but that can possibly be accomplished in the summer.

With seven front court players on next year's roster without counting Gabby (Natalie, Stewie, Morgan, KLS, Napheesa, Dejanae, and Courtney), and only three plausible guards without her (Moriah, Kia, and Saniya), it is hard to see that there will be much room or many minutes for Gabby in the front court. I guess she could play the 3 (and maybe Courtney could be a 2 guard), but I think KLS and Napheesa may lock in most of the minutes at that position. KLS will need to play a lot of minutes to maintain a serious 3-ball threat in the offense after KML's departure.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
With seven front court players on next year's roster without counting Gabby (Natalie, Stewie, Morgan, KLS, Napheesa, Dejanae, and Courtney), and only three plausible guards without her (Moriah, Kia, and Saniya), it is hard to see that there will be much room or many minutes for Gabby in the front court.

Been saying for a while that the minutes situation next year is going to be a real puzzle. Barring injuries, one or two players just aren't going to play much. One thing that can be guaranteed is Geno will find time on the court for Gabby. There will probably be times when only one pure "guard" is out there, and they will have plenty of forwards who can shoot and defend the perimeter to pull that off.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Will work out. Gabby seems to be fine as a wing\guard type player, and Courtney looks more guard than front court player at least at this point, so back court and front court seem to be pretty much perfectly balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom