Understatement of the Year, by Karen Aston | The Boneyard

Understatement of the Year, by Karen Aston

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Texas coach Karen Aston criticized her team's shot selection and credited Tennessee's hustle. She said after the game that "we didn't look very well coached, and that bothers me."
Texas vs. Tennessee - Game Recap - December 10, 2017 - ESPN

Gee whiz, really?

Texas is a program I'd consider myself a "secondary fan" of, and I've generally been optimistic about the program's upward trajectory since Karen Aston took over from Gail Goestenkors.

But today's game has really raised serious questions, in my mind, about the ability of its coaching staff to translate talented recruits into results.

People on this board often take shots at Mulkey's coaching ability, but Baylor at this point looks infinitely better coached than Texas.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Texas coach Karen Aston criticized her team's shot selection and credited Tennessee's hustle. She said after the game that "we didn't look very well coached, and that bothers me."

..... at this point looks infinitely better coached than Texas.

I imagine one could have a significant list of names that might be appended to that quote.

Reaction Score

Gee whiz, really?

Texas is a program I'd consider myself a "secondary fan" of, and I've generally been optimistic about the program's upward trajectory since Karen Aston took over from Gail Goestenkoers.

But today's game has really raised serious questions, in my mind, about the ability of its coaching staff to translate talented recruits into results.

People on this board often take shots at Mulkey's coaching ability, but Baylor at this point looks infinitely better coached than Texas.
She's a step ahead of some coaches. The first step toward recovery is admitting you have a problem. Tennessee's win will only serve to continue to mask their fundamental issue.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So imagine you're a big time HS recruit like Charlie Collier. No practice or games on Sunday. A week a go you're watching TV to see UConn storm back to beat ND before a full house in Hartford. Today you watch your future school play really badly falling to TN. What are you thinking?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm with you, too, Plebe. The Texas players were making lazy passes and getting almost none of the 50-50 balls. Rebounding was horrible. They were playing either like they were poorly coached or they didn't care or were completely gassed from the start of the game.

I'm also a secondary fan, and was really disappointed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I didnt see the game.......... Sundays in December are made for the NFL.... but yall are saying there isnt much need of me to go find a replay?

Reaction Score
So imagine you're a big time HS recruit like Charlie Collier. No practice or games on Sunday. A week a go you're watching TV to see UConn storm back to beat ND before a full house in Hartford. Today you watch your future school play really badly falling to TN. What are you thinking?

Patting myself on the back for not having to take a free IQ test.

Reaction Score
I didnt see the game..... Sundays in December are made for the NFL.... but yall are saying there isnt much need of me to go find a replay?
Oh yeah, you need to do this - just for the pure basketball aesthetics of it, if for no other reason. Curl up by the fire with an assorted dozen of orange Krispy Cremes - orange cake donuts, orange filled, orange glazed, orange crullers, orange-zested zingers, pumpkin upside-down cupcakes, orange cinnamon rolls..... Ahhhhhhhh...

Reaction Score
Probably thinking, “Wow, I’m gonna play a lot next year.”

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Gee whiz, really?

Texas is a program I'd consider myself a "secondary fan" of, and I've generally been optimistic about the program's upward trajectory since Karen Aston took over from Gail Goestenkoers.

Totally agree with you. Regarding Baylor, I got the impression it was more fans taking shots at her wardrobe and the fact that she seems to over-recruit at positions. Frankly, I don't have an issue with either (Brown stayed, Mompremier left). Generally the best players will stay and the ones not getting PT will leave. But she certainly is an elite coach who has had some terrific players come thru her program.

Aston, on the other hand, is relatively "new" at Texas, but her lack of development and coaching was on full display given the talent on her team. Tenn didn't look well coached either, but someone had to win...

Plebe

Reaction Score
I didnt see the game..... Sundays in December are made for the NFL.... but yall are saying there isnt much need of me to go find a replay?
Actually, I would really like for you to watch this game and give us your honest thoughts, as an impartial observer :) And, after watching this game, which team would you like to see Duke paired against in the NCAA tournament?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I saw alot of one on one, quick shots, lack of rebounding and a few missed rebounds after foul shots. In bound passes thrown away. It was a mess. Fundamentals. Texas looked terrible. Tenn is talented and young and this win should give them some confidence. Dont forget we've got Texas down there Jan 15. If they play like this its already over.

Reaction Score
I dont understand how they are the 2nd team in the country... where is ND ranked?

Yeah I was shocked when I saw Texas was ranked #2 and ND not. Heck South Carolina should have been #2.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Texas has too much experience to play that poorly. Aston did not have them ready. Baylor will destroy Texas in the paint. Holmes better get back soon and be fit and ready to play or Texas will be out of the top 10 and chasing Baylor again in the Big 12.

I really enjoyed their horrible performance, even if it did damage my eyes a little.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I will say that Tennessee has some nice parts... Westbrook has a great "basketball attitude"! Watch out for these "Baby Vols" but they haven't played against a buzzsaw like UConn. Do Tenn play Notre Dame this season?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Texas has too much experience to play that poorly. Aston did not have them ready. Baylor will destroy Texas in the paint. Holmes better get back soon and be fit and ready to play or Texas will be out of the top 10 and chasing Baylor again in the Big 12.

I really enjoyed their horrible performance, even if it did damage my eyes a little.
My eyes are still bleeding profusely. I just can't unsee that awfulness.

Kalani Brown and Kim Mulkey must be salivating after witnessing that farce of a game.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I will say that Tennessee has some nice parts... Westbrook has a great "basketball attitude"! Watch out for these "Baby Vols" but they haven't played against a buzzsaw like UConn. Do Tenn play Notre Dame this season?
Yes, they'll play in January.

Reaction Score

Yeah, Tennessee plays at South Carolina, at Notre Dame, and home against Miss. State.

Reaction Score
I saw alot of one on one, quick shots, lack of rebounding and a few missed rebounds after foul shots. In bound passes thrown away. It was a mess. Fundamentals. Texas looked terrible. Tenn is talented and young and this win should give them some confidence. Dont forget we've got Texas down there Jan 15. If they play like this its already over.

Texas will be a much better team at home in a month. I don't see how they could be worse.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
No way will the Texas guards play that badly against UCONN. There have been players who were hitting 20% to 30% from three but against UCONN they got hot. Teams get up for UCONN and Texas will be sky high for the UCONN game, plus they will have Holmes. However, barring anymore injuries to their top seven, UCONN should win. I hope Booth does not play again until after the UCONN game because with her Texas will be unbeatable. Just ask her.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oh yeah, you need to do this - just for the pure basketball aesthetics of it, if for no other reason. Curl up by the fire with an assorted dozen of orange Krispy Cremes - orange cake donuts, orange filled, orange glazed, orange crullers, orange-zested zingers, pumpkin upside-down cupcakes, orange cinnamon rolls..... Ahhhhhhhh...

:confused: Yuck.... that sounds awful ........ Im not much of a fan of Orange food .... dont even like Orange Juice

Actually, I would really like for you to watch this game and give us your honest thoughts, as an impartial observer :) And, after watching this game, which team would you like to see Duke paired against in the NCAA tournament?

I dont need to watch the game to give you the answer to that question. Gimme TN all day long. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom