UNC / UT Martin (merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UNC / UT Martin (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
At least the men lost...... 1 out of 2 aint bad.... but I'd rather have seen UT-Martin win than Iowa State

Reaction Score
VAUConnFan said:
Stacey Dales was not the defender on that one on one. It amazes me how incorrectly this memory is constantly recalled. We just discussed this a few weeks ago.

Woah. I am so incredibly sorry for committing a flagrant 2 foul!

My point was Geno specifically called a play for DT to take the ball, back it in and score. The fact that Stacey Dales stepped in and ended up fouling out makes it easy to forget the specific details. It was a designed play for DT and DT alone.

I also apologize for missing the discussion a few weeks ago. My time on the board has been very limited due to exceptionally heavy workload that has left me little free time and under a tremendous amount of stress. When I retire and have unlimited free time to read every single thread and post, I won't make such an error.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

My point was Geno specifically called a play for DT to take the ball, back it in and score. The fact that Stacey Dales stepped in and ended up fouling out makes it easy to forget the specific details. It was a designed play for DT and DT alone.

I also apologize for missing the discussion a few weeks ago. My time on the board has been very limited due to exceptionally heavy workload that has left me little free time and under a tremendous amount of stress. When I retire and have unlimited free time to read every single thread and post, I won't make such an error.
Actually, being retired doesn't mean you wouldn't make that error. At least it doesn't help me.

Reaction Score

Yes, get the facts wrong, and it will be pointed out; Not out of malice by any means.

I am still trying to get the editors of Geno: In Pursuit of Perfection to correct a glaring misstatement of fact on page 69. The problem is that Jackie MacMullen is quoting Coach Auriemma, an unimpeachable source. Is it possible that he remembers the event in question incorrectly? After all, he was there, he lived it, and has probably watched the play more than I have.

Reaction Score
As is usually the case on our board, outcomes that are devoutly desired but do not come to pass are blamed upon, what else, the refs. The flagrant call was understandable to any objective viewer, which, by and large, does not include any of us. As for Diamond, for all of those who disingenuously proclaim their "delight" that she did not land at UConn, the same folks who would be trumpeting her extraordinary skills if she did, I can only say, "Get real!" She's a pretty terrific talent, and there is no Freshman on our team who is her equal....sorry.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Talent wise, she's unbelievable. She doesn't always play to her abilities and appears to have an attitude problem. She has received a few technicals, appears to pout if things don't go her way, and basically tells her coach what she wants to do. Not exactly what UConn is all about. Obviously, I would have loved to see her talent in a UConn uniform, but I'm not sure she would have lasted.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Petunia, the interesting thing to me about the flagrant call is, by every report I've seen, no foul was called on the floor. If no foul is called, do the rules allow the officials to stop play and look for one? Or, do the rules assume that a foul is called on the floor, and then the refs, if a flagrant is potentially there, are permitted a closer look? I can't recall ever seeing a stoppage in play to look for a foul without one being called during the course of play.

Reaction Score
Can anyone here state with absolute undeniable certitude that the UNC administration was responsible for the announcement? It is the NCAA Tournament, sanctioned and run by the NCAA. Is it not possible that the NCAA was responsible for the announcement or, at the very least, approved it? If it was you in the arena, would you prefer to be kept ignorant or would you err on the side of caution? If one of your children or friends was among the crowd, how would you want the situation to be handled? Do things like this happen very often? Is there a protocol in place? When did the arena officials know about the situation in relation to the announcement? When did the arena officials learn that a suspect was in custody? When law enforcement had a suspect was in custody, is it not possible that they wanted to be sure that another suspect(s) was not at large? How do we know that the announcement affected the outcome of the game?

In times of uncertainty, allow law enforcement to do their jobs keeping us all safe. Thankfully, the incident was of little to no consequence. There are things of greater importance than Carolina winning a basketball game in which they were outplayed for the better part.

Reaction Score
Talent wise, she's unbelievable. She doesn't always play to her abilities and appears to have an attitude problem. She has received a few technicals, appears to pout if things don't go her way, and basically tells her coach what she wants to do. Not exactly what UConn is all about. Obviously, I would have loved to see her talent in a UConn uniform, but I'm not sure she would have lasted.

Hopefully, you have seen more than a couple of games and are well versed in her stats. Otherwise you are just passing judgment, throwing out assumptions, speculating on whether she would have lasted at UConn; Which, of course is your right. Opinions are what we often express here. I can recall getting lambasted here expressing an opinion as to whether Ms DeShields would even choose UConn. It seemed blasphemous at the time. Of course, my opinion had no real basis, it was just a gut feeling. Sometimes we can trust them. However, when being overly critical of a player, it is important that some facts and observations come into play. Otherwise perceptions arise that may not be true that come to be accepted as such. We start hating ballplayers for the wrong reasons. If, in fact, there is ever a good reason for hate.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
As is usually the case on our board, outcomes that are devoutly desired but do not come to pass are blamed upon, what else, the refs. The flagrant call was understandable to any objective viewer, which, by and large, does not include any of us. As for Diamond, for all of those who disingenuously proclaim their "delight" that she did not land at UConn, the same folks who would be trumpeting her extraordinary skills if she did, I can only say, "Get real!" She's a pretty terrific talent, and there is no Freshman on our team who is her equal....sorry.

Vision.jpeg

Reaction Score
Pretty impressive comeback by UNC. I thought the flagrant call was correct, though the timeout call was inexcusable. Loved Xylina's butt-shot.They'll be pretty good as these Freshmen mature.
Shows how much you know about basketball and the refs for that matter. If both your feet leave the court that is 2 steps and a walk, also you have no pivot foot again a walk! Total blown call and very bad officiating. I see it all the time when a player is on the floor and rolls around that is a travel, PERIOD!!!!

Reaction Score
Hopefully, you have seen more than a couple of games and are well versed in her stats. Otherwise you are just passing judgment, throwing out assumptions, speculating on whether she would have lasted at UConn; Which, of course is your right. Opinions are what we often express here. I can recall getting lambasted here expressing an opinion as to whether Ms DeShields would even choose UConn. It seemed blasphemous at the time. Of course, my opinion had no real basis, it was just a gut feeling. Sometimes we can trust them. However, when being overly critical of a player, it is important that some facts and observations come into play. Otherwise perceptions arise that may not be true that come to be accepted as such. We start hating ballplayers for the wrong reasons. If, in fact, there is ever a good reason for hate.
And your point is? at this point in her Carrier she appears to be a pampered temperamental prima Donna and I have seen her play for years. As talented as she is I would wonder if Geno wants here on his next USA basketball team after her antics this year!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't hate her, I think she's incredibly talented. And yes, I have seen her play probably 5-7 times this season, including the game tonight. I'm not being overly critical, she has received technicals for things related to attitude, she has said things about telling her coach what she wants to do, etc. I am not at all demeaning her talent; it's obvious. And clearly it's my opinion that she wouldn't have fit in at UConn, but that is based on my observations of how she behaves and how UConn players behave. I never said I "hated" her. She's fun to watch, and I wish UConn and UNC hadn't cancelled the series.

Reaction Score
Can anyone here state with absolute undeniable certitude that the UNC administration was responsible for the announcement? It is the NCAA Tournament, sanctioned and run by the NCAA. Is it not possible that the NCAA was responsible for the announcement or, at the very least, approved it? If it was you in the arena, would you prefer to be kept ignorant or would you err on the side of caution? If one of your children or friends was among the crowd, how would you want the situation to be handled? Do things like this happen very often? Is there a protocol in place? When did the arena officials know about the situation in relation to the announcement? When did the arena officials learn that a suspect was in custody? When law enforcement had a suspect was in custody, is it not possible that they wanted to be sure that another suspect(s) was not at large? How do we know that the announcement affected the outcome of the game?

In times of uncertainty, allow law enforcement to do their jobs keeping us all safe. Thankfully, the incident was of little to no consequence. There are things of greater importance than Carolina winning a basketball game in which they were outplayed for the better part.

the undeniable fact is the timing was terrible, ESPN put up the timeline of events, and there was no good reason to make an announcement when they did. The alert was canceled 1 minute after the announcement, even though the problem had been solved several minutes earlier (10 or 15 minutes).

Reaction Score
Stacey Dales was not the defender on that one on one. It amazes me how incorrectly this memory is constantly recalled. We just discussed this a few weeks ago.
OK lets hear you recollection because I have a tape of the game. Geno called a 4 out and gave Diana the ball to go 1 on 1 with Dales. That play put Uconn up 9 or 10 and fouled out Dales with about 2 minutes left in the NC. Sue Bird jumped into Diana's arms after the shot and I have a signed copy of that front page from the Hartford Courant hanging in my man cave. Evan if Dales was not the defender she got called for the foul. Maybe it was Roz Ross or someone else but Dales got the foul and the boot from the game.

Reaction Score

I think your error might have been the response you gave above. No big deal about forgetting a specific play from way back when but if caught on it, bite the bullet and move on.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
After also getting jobbed on a flagrant foul on a free throw rebound. UNC really escaped. I am not that displeased as I think they will give SC a better game but this idea that a player running into an outstretched arm is a flagrant foul is ridiculous. I think the refs were screwed because they did not call a foul on the play and then went to the monitor. Since they hadn't called a straight foul, I do not believe they can then call just a normal foul - it is either a flagrant or no foul. You cannot review a play to determine if a normal foul occurred, only for a flagrant.
Having screwed up by not calling the foul, they then doubled the screw up by calling it a flagrant.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Talent wise, she's unbelievable. She doesn't always play to her abilities and appears to have an attitude problem. She has received a few technicals, appears to pout if things don't go her way, and basically tells her coach what she wants to do. Not exactly what UConn is all about. Obviously, I would have loved to see her talent in UConn uniform, but I'm not sure she would have lasted.
maybe any of "our girls" if on any other team would behave the same... who knows.

Id put the blame on the coach not a teenager who probably never had to answer to anyone.

the hate on Diamond on this board is ridiculous

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the technial fouls wasnt the reason UT-Martin lost... UNC came all the way back from a double digit lead.

UT-Martin didnt play the whole 40 minutes

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
maybe any of "our girls" if on any other team would behave the same... who knows.

Id put the blame on the coach not a teenager who probably never had to answer to anyone.

the hate on Diamond on this board is ridiculous
Where did I say I hated her?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I thought the lock-down could have been announced at a different time. Kara and Rebecca covered this unique situation in detail and neither had kind words for UNC or the game officials.

As for the foul. First it can be argued that it was routine "inadvertant" contact, not even worthy of a foul call. The officials violated the rules by going to the monitor to make a "flagrant foul" call on UT Martin. Such a call (flagrant) can only be made if a foul call had already been made on the play.

UNC got a gift from their own administration (the untimely announcement), then UT Martin got screwed twice by the refs (flagrant foul call and denial of a time out).

Screwed indeed -- but instead of experiencing the customary genital satisfaction, there is a vital need to schedule a visit to a proctologist.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Buzzyboy said:
I think your error might have been the response you gave above. No big deal about forgetting a specific play from way back when but if caught on it, bite the bullet and move on.

I have already moved on. Thanks for your concern, though, in pointing out my error.

Reaction Score
For some reason (I suppose it's because UNC out-recruited UConn last year) many here, especially some of the more intellectually challenged, seemed to have a huge emotional attachment to a possible UNC loss. That investment has resulted in the usual knee-jerk reaction of all losers, "It was the refs' fault!" No one seems to be commenting on the fact that UTM lost all composure down the stretch and blew a game they should have won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom