UConn Women Takes #12 Next Year! How will Sarah Strong help? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Women Takes #12 Next Year! How will Sarah Strong help?

Reaction Score
Once the surviving members of the UConn WBB team reached the FF this year, my thoughts immediately drifted to 2024-2025.....anticipating #12 with greater confidence. If all the injured return to be just their better selves coming bACK, yes #12 is a realistic expectation I felt, never mind what every other programs have (South Carolina would still be loaded).

Noted that with Aaliyah and Nika leaving, the coaching staff's mission was to find compensating performers to ensure team balance. Despite the surprising performances from all four freshmen who were the main complement to the three seniors this year, there are no comparable ones to assume ownership of the departing pair's biggest contributions: as good as they played, neither Ashlynn nor KK come close to what Nika brings on the defensive side. Still, in most situations, Aubrey would definitely solidify the perimeter defense.

From what little we have seen of Ice, Ayanna and Jana (at FIBA), we can't confidently say one of them will provide the production missed with Aaliyah's departure but they can each contribute to it and, more importantly, add their own useful and some unique qualities. Ice showed encouraging glimpses during the Big East tournament and Jana showed big promise during the FIBA tournament. Nothing is guaranteed until the coaching staff draws it out of them. For some reason, none of these uncertainties discouraged the conviction that #12 is coming next year, in part because of the indomitable spirit that the team showed this year in improving and building to reach the FF, with their limited resources - 3 seniors and 4 freshmen - and no margin for error. This belief was also built upon the expectation that the run of major injuries would end, that Azzi, Aubrey, Caroline, Jana and Ayanna would be fully healthy all year, even if some of them may take a bit longer to shake off rust in their games. I was less certain about Caroline, given the unknowns related to her concussions....

Then, Sarah Strong committed to UConn the day after they lost in the SF. It is foolhardy to put so much weight on her high school stats, for obvious reasons, in trying to visualize her contributions. But seeing her play, how she moves, how she shoots, her footwork, her control of her (somewhat overweight) body, her passing and vision are testaments to her potential - a solid foundation to excel even against bigger, stronger, more skilled competition than she has faced so far. She fits into the position Aaliyah vacated with already more developed skills in areas the latter still needs to grow: passing and outside shooting. She would balance what Jana has shown she can do and Ice, too. She, Ice, and Ayanna would provide flexibility in complementing Jana counter any combination of big frontcourt players they would face. Three of them have shown good outside shooting skills. This frontcourt promises to balance the excellent and abundant backcourt and perimeter resources this team has.

What her high school coach did to prepare her for the future and what he says is her state of readiness to play at the next level is reassuring, even if you discount some of it:

Is Sarah Strong a Unicorn? So it seems, if you trust what her high school coach says.

Why No. 1 recruit Sarah Strong is ‘a unicorn’ commitment for UConn women’s basketball in class of 2024

Why Sarah Strong is going to UConn:

Why No. 1 recruit Sarah Strong chose UConn women's basketball program

I feel much better now about my expected NC12 next year. Seeing how Coach and his staff managed the surviving team this year, any early season awkward performances (e.g. Breanna, Tina) by the frontcourt will be eliminated sooner than later - the available resources promises to make it a complete team with a near-ideal balance.

Can't wait for next year to begin.

Reaction Score
I can’t wait for next season … this is another “ reloading year”, the master will have more options at the low post with the addition of Sarah … last season was a challenge but we were able to get through the Final Four they exceeded my expectations. This coming year I can’t wait the team to dominate in the low post , Aubrey will be the veteran leader , Ice will improve and during the summer and ready for a strong in the low post together with Jana which she needs to be tough down the post , Ayanna will be the versatile player between the low post and the wings she’ll be great because of her strength and quickness especially if she will improve her shooting skills… finally , Sarah will be the gift at the low and high post , the opponents will have a nightmare mismatch with her strength and shooting capabilities … I can’t for the next season . Praying and hoping everyone is back and healthy , no more “ injuries “ please which we been through the last few seasons … Good luck Huskies .. #12 will be in the bag in April2025 …

Reaction Score
There's a good chance they could have won #12 this year if they were healthy or maybe even the last couple. Lately the question isn't if they have the players capable of leading them to number 12 but will all of them be available for the season.

With all the talent on the roster it is quite possible that Paige will be the only starter on next years team that played this year. If they are going for number 12 I think they will need to have a solid 4 most likely in Ayanna to combat some of the teams with taller line ups and that would mean Paige, Azzi and Sarah on the perimeter rotation with AP and Jana working the post.

As far as the reserves I think KK will be number 1 off the bench for minutes, Ice number 2 and the rest will fight it out for a few minutes here and there. The team will be legit 12 deep roster but I don't see Geno playing more than 8 in his primary rotation but like last year they should blow through the Big East so everyone will get time on the court.

I like them to compete for number 12 but they will have some really good teams to get though next year too. I think it will be the deepest group ever that has a legit chance to win the NC. Here we are a couple weeks from last season and already anticipating the next one.

Reaction Score
It will be an exciting year for WBB. UConn of course will be improved, but there are some serious teams out there.

SC has everyone back. USC will be better with an Iowa-style team around now soph JuJu. Notre Dame with Miles, Hidalgo, Citron, Westbeld are a candidate. Even NC State, UCLA, Texas and LSU bring back a lot.

On the Huskies, I'm surprised KK is undervalued as replacement for Nika. She brings Nika's defence and even leadership, and is a potential AA point guard.

Between Jana, now soph Ice, Ayanna, Strong, a transfer? (and Bueckers, Griffen) we should be ok in the post.
SC doesn't get Cardoso back. That's a huge loss for their offense and defense.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget Koval, the best post in this class, who will also be joining Notre Dame! If she plays well from the start, ND is going to be a major player next season. They have a serious team if Miles is 100%!

The POTENTIAL is definitely there for Notre Dame!

Reaction Score
But if Ice will improve this summer and become more stronger down the low post to support Jana , then Ayanna will have a solid game next year plus a stronger Sarah and the veteran Aubrey , I don’t think Koval can beat the Huskies post players , if we can get Reagan Beers from Oregon State , Uconn will be the team to beat next year . South Carolina will bring back their 4 starters , hoping that they can’t sign any solid post to replace Cardoso. Notre Dame will be a pesky team next year if Miles will be back in shape the way she was before her injury , the downside of their team is the loss Watson graduation or injury, is Marshal in the transfer portal? Citron graduated or is she going to use her Covid year ? They can be a threat but hopefully next year the Huskies will beat them .

Reaction Score
It's amazing how many experts and ex-coaches we have in the Boneyard. It's definitely entertaining with a chuckle or smile to read these analyses of not only a particular player's skill set but also their precise personalities. Some (much?) of it by watching games tv or on YouTube. Each analysis tries to outdo the other in their professional-looking critiques. ESPN should take notice. It seems Husky BY'ers are never without an opinion on how Geno and the coaches should position each player and knowing exactly how each will perform without ever being at a UConn practice. I suspect the reason he has been so successful is that Geno never reads this stuff.
and exactly what would you propose that the folks here on the forum should talk about?

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong will help the Huskies by doing ”anything to help the team. I don’t even care”. I believe in her potential, talent, and skill set, and her statement of wanting to help the Huskies succeed. Go Sarah! Go Huskies! Go UConn!!

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong will help the Huskies by doing ”anything to help the team. I don’t even care”. I believe in her potential, talent, and skill set, and her statement of wanting to help the Huskies succeed. Go Sarah! Go Huskies! Go UConn!!
We really need Sarah next year especially down in the low post that’s where our weaknesses the past few years…. Hoping Ice will improve and more stronger , Ayanna should get back on her game and will improve too…if we can get Beers or Iriafen we will be a tough team at the low post …

Reaction Score
We really need Sarah next year especially down in the low post that’s where our weaknesses the past few years…. Hoping Ice will improve and more stronger , Ayanna should get back on her game and will improve too…if we can get Beers or Iriafen we will be a tough team at the low post …
I suspect Strong will be spending much of her time away from the basket to take advantage of her superior three-point shooting and passing skills.......if UConn doesn't add a post from the portal, then I suspect Jana and Ice will get most of the low post duties......

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I suspect Strong will be spending much of her time away from the basket to take advantage of her superior three-point shooting and passing skills.......if UConn doesn't add a post from the portal, then I suspect Jana and Ice will get most of the low post duties......
Maybe Geno going to do a Maya/Stewie transition. First year, lots of outside shots, then gradually develop post moves where she can be successful all over the court.

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno going to do a Maya/Stewie transition. First year, lots of outside shots, then gradually develop post moves where she can be successful all over the court.
I'm sure she'll be battling on the boards......she's one of those players who knows where the ball is going as it's shot.........not sure about her jumping ability but she can use her strength to get her shot under the basket when she needs to....

Reaction Score
She'll be both is my prediction. As Charliebball says mostly outside; --- especially since that is normally the easiest place to catch a pass. But she'll score quite a bit inside too. And she can be an amazing passer from the low post too. And she needs to work on that because not every game will your outside shot fall when your team needs you to score. She'll also have to work on learning how to excel with her post play; not having taken advocate only in desperation.

Reaction Score
As with all of the best talents Coach G has had, he will help her discover who she is in every way she can express herself in basketball and life.......a little at a time while helping the team realize its potential. He knows she is different from Diana or Maya or Breanna or any of the others, so that will show itself as he puts her through her development steps common to everyone and those designed for her.

Hence, it will neither be Maya nor Breanna but he will certainly try to find out how fast she can learn things he wants and how fast she can show what she can do in practice and in competition.

My guess is that she will be fine and contribute significantly come March.

Reaction Score
I think of Sarah as an alternative to Cotie McMahon, who has supplied much of the muscle and energy for tOSU the past two years. Well, Sarah will supply a lot more than that considering the wide range of her offensive skills. She muscle with the e best of them in the low post. But that outside shot and her passing really put her a cut above.

The game that made the rounds in highlights between Sarah and Joyce Edwards teams was indicative, I expect. Joyce is a great player, sort of like Ashlyn Watkins with a better midrange game. But Sarah is a couple of notches past that. It’s not that she’s bigger or stronger or quicker. It’s that she has what they have and then some. Edwards and Watkins will be formidable next season, along with the rest of the pf/c players Dawn has collected. They’ll have more depth than UConn. But they won’t have more skills in their bigs or their guards.

I’d also put her up against all the power forwards at UCLA — and Cori has quite a few. Sarah may not be strong enough for Betts. But she is too much for the rest of that lineup. Let Jana and Ayanna grapple with Betts, and leave the rest to Sarah.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom