UConn vs. Temple Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Temple Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The bench shot 9-11 for 22 points. Gabby had 10 points, Saniya had 2 treys, and Kiah had 8 rebounds, 8 blocks, and 4 points in 22 minutes. She seems to get EVERY defensive rebound.

Reaction Score
Team doesn't need Morgan shooting 3 point shots. Team has too many other shooters. When out on the high post, she should be looking to pass the ball to an open shooter and cutting to the basket and maybe she gets layups. The only time Morgan should be taking 3 point shots its late in the shot clock and there's no other option. Usually that's not when she's taking her 3 point shots.

I don't agree. How is she going to get better if she doesn't take them now? These games are blowouts- imo it's good to work on this.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
OMG that was hysterical. Loved the fingers flying over the top of the computer screen! My fingers may have stayed on, but I swear my eyes almost popped out of my head!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't agree. How is she going to get better if she doesn't take them now? These games are blowouts- imo it's good to work on this.
FWIW I tend to agree with WBB fan - Morgan is shooting about 16% from beyond the arc for the entire year. she's made something like 7 out of 43. It's not like she has had a shooting slump for a few games - it's basically been the entire season.

Having said that, it would appear that Geno agrees with you, and his is the only opinion that matters. The fact that she took 5 attempts today with no reprimand from Geno indicates he approves of her doing so. I am thinking she must be shooting better in practice - but the trajectory on her 3 point shot is SO flat - I can see why she misses so many.

Side note - one of the announcers said that the staff was working with Gabby to stop with the "moonballs" (I think that's what they said). I think they should give some of Gabby's arc on her shots to Morgan - split the difference and both would be better off!!! :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby shot 4-4 today and continues to lead the team. Just about everyone is shooting 50%.

Moonballs! Reminds me of Tiffany's rainbow 3-pointers.

Reaction Score
I thought the starters were lackluster today but it was nice the bench did well. The starters played 23% more than last game and they weren't nearly as efficient as they were last time vs Temple. And the rebounds were near even. It happens though- can't play super every game. Apparently neither is USC.

The defense of leaving Stewie and Tuck wide open on the outside while the other big remained in the paint seemed to work as much as could be expected for the undermanned Owls.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I thought the starters were lackluster today but it was nice the bench did well. The starters played 23% more than last game and they weren't nearly as efficient as they were last time vs Temple. And the rebounds were near even. It happens though- can't play super every game. Apparently neither is USC.

The defense of leaving Stewie and Tuck wide open on the outside while the other big remained in the paint seemed to work as much as could be expected for the undermanned Owls.
I thought the lineup of Moriah, Kaleena, Morgan, Breanna, and Kiah was particularly effective. We'll probably see this big lineup against USC. It's great that our big girls can play 25-30 minutes without gasping for air.

Reaction Score
I thought the lineup of Moriah, Kaleena, Morgan, Breanna, and Kiah was particularly effective. We'll probably see this big lineup against USC.

I hope not. IMO that lineup too slow.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like the big lineup too. With Stef instead of Morgan last year, it was very effective. It's strong defensively.

Reaction Score
I like the big lineup too. With Stef instead of Morgan last year, it was very effective. It's strong defensively.

Gimme speed - pressure the ball and push pace. This UCONN team is arguably the greatest 3pt shooting husky team of all time. We go big - sure we can play it - but that is their comfort zone. Let's make them more uncomfortable. IMO our comfort zone is KML at the sf. Geno said this year he wanted to push pace- this big lineup we would go backwards on that. Playing to more of a USC style. Team should react to us. React to our preferred style of play.

If we can push pace- impose our will- we have a greater chance of blowing them out imo.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Gimme speed - pressure the ball and push pace. This UCONN team is arguably the greatest 3pt shooting husky team of all time. We go big - sure we can play it - but that is their comfort zone. Let's make them more uncomfortable. IMO our comfort zone is KML at the sf. Geno said this year he wanted to push pace- this big lineup we would go backwards on that. Playing to more of a USC style. Team should react to us. React to our preferred style of play.

If we can push pace- impose our will- we have a greater chance of blowing them out imo.
Who in that lineup is slow? Kiah and Breanna often lead a fast break up the floor, Morgan and Kaleena are going to be on the floor regardless of the lineup, and there's no one quicker with the ball than Moriah.

Reaction Score
Morgan can hit the three: however, her percentage this year is poor, and it takes her too far from the basket. I doubt you'll see her shoot threes against SC. You might see more of Kiah and Gabby against SC to help on the boards. Moriah and Kia seem to be more quiet of late on offense. UConn will need everyone to score to beat SC.

Reaction Score
If they had to have a mediocre game like this, it was a good time for it. You can be sure the coaching staff will be on them, working on some of the weaknesses they identified. They have one more game in which to get it right before SC.

Reaction Score
Who in that lineup is slow? Kiah and Breanna often lead a fast break up the floor, Morgan and Kaleena are going to be on the floor regardless of the lineup, and there's no one quicker with the ball than Moriah.

KML is slow for a sg and we have two point guards that can lead a fast break with MoJEff and Nurse. Now we only have one player that can lead a break.

Geno spoke of today the issue with having to keep guards in front of them also. He said we can't touch them The lineup with KML having to guard a quick sg and either Stewie or Tuck having to guard a quick sf, imo is not their strength. I think having KML or Stewie or Tuck have to guard a quick attacking guard invites foul trouble without the same fastbreak payoff.

If the ball can't find MoJeff - our lineup is slow. While KML and Stewie can handle the ball in the open court to continue to run a fastbreak it's not their strength plus we invite cheap offensive fouls. This is not a push pace lineup.

Super Bowl time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
KML is slow for a sg and we have two point guards that can lead a fast break with MoJEff and Nurse. Now we only have one player that can lead a break.

Geno spoke of today the issue with having to keep guards in front of them also. He said we can't touch them The lineup with KML having to guard a quick sg and either Stewie or Tuck having to guard a quick sf, imo is not their strength. I think having KML or Stewie or Tuck have to guard a quick attacking guard invites foul trouble without the same fastbreak payoff.

If the ball can't find MoJeff - our lineup is slow. While KML and Stewie can handle the ball in the open court to continue to run a fastbreak it's not their strength plus we invite cheap offensive fouls. This is not a push pace lineup.

Super Bowl time.
Doesn't anyone think Temple deserves a little credit. I thought they played tough and never gave up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Doesn't anyone think Temple deserves a little credit. I thought they played tough and never gave up.
I agree. They were a scrappy bunch, played hard, stuck to the game plan, and exploited what they could. Part of our sloppiness was due to their inspired play.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“We make it look easy a lot of times, but the ball still has to go into the basket. We make it look easy but it’s not always as easy as we make it look. Offensive rebounding is hard. Ask Stewie. She got a grand total of zero today. We missed 32 shots and Stewie got zero offensive rebounds. She got as many as a dead person.”

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
hoophuskee said:
KML is slow for a sg and we have two point guards that can lead a fast break with MoJEff and Nurse. Now we only have one player that can lead a break. Geno spoke of today the issue with having to keep guards in front of them also. He said we can't touch them The lineup with KML having to guard a quick sg and either Stewie or Tuck having to guard a quick sf, imo is not their strength. I think having KML or Stewie or Tuck have to guard a quick attacking guard invites foul trouble without the same fastbreak payoff. If the ball can't find MoJeff - our lineup is slow. While KML and Stewie can handle the ball in the open court to continue to run a fastbreak it's not their strength plus we invite cheap offensive fouls. This is not a push pace lineup. Super Bowl time.

Our 'big' lineup with Morgan-Kiah-Stewie across the back has easily been our best defensive lineup this year against the better teams, by a lot. As in night and day, game-turns-around kind of difference, in several cases. Also, we have this year still been able to generate transition scoring with the big lineup.

We can go with KML or, in certain situations, Nurse alongside Moriah, but regardless, the substitution of Kiah in the middle has negated much of the advantage that other teams might have with quick, penetrating guards. The big lineup has been lights out on the defensive end.

If the half court offense flowed as well with Kiah in the 'big' lineup as it did with the usual starting lineup, Geno would use it more often, but it doesn't and Kiah is not a consistent scoring threat, so he doesn't.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You have a point, but the "game-turns-around-difference" that has happened when Kiah and either Gabby or Saniya enters the lineup in big games is based on defense leading to quick offense. The half-court offense may or may not flow quite as well, but the blocks and errant shots leading to breakaways and a sudden surge in points off the transitions leads to a quick boost in points. But Geno will keep throwing different lineups out there to keep the opponent off balance.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
83-49 final. Shot 50%. But too many TOs and defensive lapses. Looked like our B- game. Ok, we're spoiled. :)
I think the team became confused and disoriented by the swirling designs on the court floor. I know I got dizzy at least twice.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Lots of things not so great about today's performance, but it sure is nice to see Saniya apparently picking up a little more confidence. Hope this continues!
BigP- exactly right! Saniya really looked great again! And Gabby, who made some not so great passes, continues to impress.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score

Tanya C had a defensive game plan and Temple executed it as well as they could. They didn't even hardly guard Morgan from the elbow! And we had wide open shots and couldn't hit them!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Our 'big' lineup with Morgan-Kiah-Stewie across the back has easily been our best defensive lineup this year against the better teams, by a lot. As in night and day, game-turns-around kind of difference, in several cases. Also, we have this year still been able to generate transition scoring with the big lineup.

We can go with KML or, in certain situations, Nurse alongside Moriah, but regardless, the substitution of Kiah in the middle has negated much of the advantage that other teams might have with quick, penetrating guards. The big lineup has been lights out on the defensive end.

If the half court offense flowed as well with Kiah in the 'big' lineup as it did with the usual starting lineup, Geno would use it more often, but it doesn't and Kiah is not a consistent scoring threat, so he doesn't.
Great analysis!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22