UConn vs. Syracuse post game - on to the sweet 16! | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Syracuse post game - on to the sweet 16!

Reaction Score
Im a member of the Aaliyah“the ultimate warrior” Edwards fan club, so understand, this is not meant a criticism. Aaliyah was not herself tonight. She was involved in a couple of brutal collisions in the beginning of the game and I wonder if she played the whole game with some sort of injury, other than her nose. I’m just hoping she’s okay.
I mentioned to my wife that I didn’t think AE was quite herself in either game. Seemed to miss bunnies that she usually makes. I’m wondering if there’s some readjusting to the mask?

Reaction Score
I really want Ice to do well, and I think she has skills and can contribute, but I think she would do better being less deliberate and just making quick decisions to shoot. Especially with sitting out a year rehabbing, she should know the offense a little. She can shoot the ball, so when she gets it, just let it fly. She will have to work on rebounding- after all, she is 6'3. But her touch around the basket just isn't there, and this surprises me. Maybe it was just an off night as lately she has had some good games. She did show quicker feet on defense tonight which is good, and there was one rebound where she really leaped for the ball and grabbed it, which is encouraging.
Remember how inconsistent Edwards was around the basket early in her career? I think when the game slows down for Ice, things will get better.

Reaction Score
Geno is correct when he complains about Paige not getting calls compared to the other stars.
Tonight, Iowa has 24 foul shots; West Virginia has FIVE!
Yesterday, LSU shot 37 free throws: Miss Valley shot NINE!
Meanwhile, UCONN only had eight foul shots tonight. Paige only had four FTs.
Clark (like Fair) is also a master at creating contact and fouls. When Paige drives she seems to try and minimize contact in favor of making the shot. That’s part of the difference in the number of fouls we draw vs Iowa.

Reaction Score
I mentioned to my wife that I didn’t think AE was quite herself in either game. Seemed to miss bunnies that she usually makes. I’m wondering if there’s some readjusting to the mask?
That and I’m sure the nose is still very sore , especially after getting it banged at times. In the press conference I noticed that her nose looked slightly swollen and not aligned (not sure how to describe it). It’s been two weeks since she broke it and I bet 5he mask hampers her breathing.

Reaction Score
That and I’m sure the nose is still very sore , especially after getting it banged at times. In the press conference I noticed that her nose looked slightly swollen and not aligned (not sure how to describe it). It’s been two weeks since she broke it and I bet 5he mask hampers her breathing.
She said in the postgame interview that she felt like she broke her nose 5 more times in the game. That explains a lot!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Clark (like Fair) is also a master at creating contact and fouls. When Paige drives she seems to try and minimize contact in favor of making the shot. That’s part of the difference in the number of fouls we draw vs Iowa.
Disagree, the refs just seem to allow more contact with many of the UConn players then their opponent. Paige does get fouled almost every time she is guarded, she just doesn't fall down or act like she did. Clark and Fair fall almost every time someone is within an inch of them, or jumps into the player guarding them to try and get a foul called. Clark is in for an awakening when she goes to the W, they won't call them like they do now.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Her face seems swollen to me, has for the last 2 games

4CC3B1BE-209F-42A7-AB60-BC4543E1BED7.jpeg

5A121DAE-BA89-4225-BAC5-CB3CE2DB5D84.jpeg

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
In the Jackson State game I thought that KK passed up some open three pointers in favor of drives to the hoop that did not accomplish anything.

I suspect without knowing that the coaches saw the same thing and encouraged her to take the three point shot when it is open.

She was ready to take that shot, feet set, and she shot it without hesitation. I`m thinking the mistakes against Jackson State may have helped her mindset.

I was at the game and had a perfect line behind KK to the hoop. When it was in the air, I was thinking no way, wide right. But it caught just enough of the rim and she got the friendly role. Thank goodness. The momentum until that point was decidedly not in our favor.

The last six minutes or so of that game felt like an eternity. With all the time they spent on the potential Paige intentional foul, I felt sure they were going to tag her with something.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A little???

It bugs me when big scorers like Fair (yes, she's a great player) are given more leeway to push off defenders than lesser offensive talents. A few seconds before Muhl fouled Fair on the three-point attempt, Fair committed a blatant offensive foul, as least as bad as Muhl's 5th.
Also within a minute of Nika getting called for pushing off, one of the Syracuse players did the same thing -- left arm extended into a UConn player's chest. And it was a foul on UConn.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
WVU outscored Iowa by 12 from the floor but still lost by 10.
I guess that's why all the refs in Women's basketball are there. They can't call a game well enough to make it to the Men's or the Pro's, both the NBA and the WNBA. I read somewhere that Dee K was at one time an official in the NBA and didn't even last the whole season, now she officiates in the WCBB.

Reaction Score
On paper UConn has the easiest path to the Elite Eight, they play seventh seeded Duke. The next easiest is both USC and Iowa who play fifth seeds Baylor and Colorado. On the other side Albany 1 and Portland 4 are playing 1-4 and 2-3 match-ups.

For all you Dukies (@triaddukefan);) out there, I'm not saying it's going to be easy, they all have to play their game. I'm just stating that ON PAPER they have the easiest path.
All true until Duke beat OSU.

Id rather face Duke than South Carolina, but it will be a dog fight...much as the Syracuse game was.

IN the end, no one will give South Carolina a game. Maybe for 20 minutes. but it is done.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
All true until Duke beat OSU.

Id rather face Duke than South Carolina, but it will be a dog fight...much as the Syracuse game was.

IN the end, no one will give South Carolina a game. Maybe for 20 minutes. but it is done.
If I remember correctly, everyone was saying that very same thing about SC last year. How did that work out for them?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I guess that's why all the refs in Women's basketball are there. They can't call a game well enough to make it to the Men's or the Pro's, both the NBA and the WNBA. I read somewhere that Dee K was at one time an official in the NBA and didn't even last the whole season, now she officiates in the WCBB.
Dee lasted from 1997 until 2002 in the NBA before being fired. For the NCAA, Kantner has been a referee in over twenty Final Four rounds since 1992 and over ten championship games in women's basketball.
From Wikipedia, so...

Reaction Score
I have no info, but I think there might be more to Q's no play time than we know.
True her shooting has been off, but she has good hands and is a good rebounder. I thought we would see her for sure, when Nika went out.
Just wondering..........

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Dee lasted from 1997 until 2002 in the NBA before being fired. For the NCAA, Kantner has been a referee in over twenty Final Four rounds since 1992 and over ten championship games in women's basketball.
From Wikipedia, so...
Yes and she has had so many no calls on teams that foul UConn, especially that team from South Bend. If I remember correctly she was the ref that missed the pushing foul that should have been called flagrant. I think it was on CW in South Bend. Was it her that missed the foul in the Semi Finals on Gabby by ND or another ref. Like I said in another post the reason why they are refs in Women's basketball because they aren't good enough to be in any others.

Reaction Score
I have no info, but I think there might be more to Q's no play time than we know.
True her shooting has been off, but she has good hands and is a good rebounder. I thought we would see her for sure, when Nika went out.
Just wondering..........
Who knows. Geno could have smelled fear in her at shoot around and decided she wasn't in the right head space. With freshman, it happens.

Reaction Score
Because, by all statistical measures, UConn is considered the 2nd best team in the country. The only people who don't consider this is the pollsters and the seeding committee.
You forgot one other group. 1/2 of the Boneyard. According to that half, UCONN women are terrible. Not even deserving of a 3 seed!

Reaction Score
Based on the use of the present tense ("Iowa HAS 24 foul shots"), I suspect this was posted while the Iowa WVU game was ongoing. Iowa ended up going 25 for 30 from the FT line on 27 WV personal fouls. The Mountaineers were just 3 for 5 from the line, while Iowa was called for only 11 PF's. Not saying the numbers were unfairly skewed to the home team, but that sounds like quite a disparity. Granted, some of those fouls were doubtless during the last few minutes while WV was trying to catch up, but still...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom