Uconn vs Ohio St ( merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn vs Ohio St ( merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
were there only 1100+ in attendance? on tv looked like more.
As I said on another thread, I was at the game and 1134 seemed absurdly low. I would have guessed 3000 minimum.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Too much Turkey... In fact the whole team looked like they were on a tryptophan rush...as a team they were flat...more turnovers than assists...very unusual for the Huskies. A lot of shots were missed... Even though Bria Hartey had 19 points, even she miss some shots, one badly. Moriah was flat even though she had some pretty exciting lay-ups but Banks made up for it. Let's credit Ohio's defense they were quick to get back essentially taking away UConn's fast break. They were bringing the weak side help in the paint...they were playing some pretty stingy defense...hence only 70 points today.

I look for them to bounce back in a big way next game...

On a good note...there was KML with no brace and Rebecca said she was shooting threes during warm-ups...better days are coming don't worry.

JS

Reaction Score
Where are you getting that crap?

images

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I look for them to bounce back in a big way .

Had to laugh. They are the only team that has to bounce back after only winning by 21 on an "off day."

Last edited by a moderator:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the kids were too full of Turkey and fixings and just seemed a little out of sync. I don't think the prospect of playing Ohio was enough to overcome a certain 'trap game' mental lethargy - I think playing Duke at Duke will have the juices flowing and they will have finished exams by then so the focus will be on basketball and not school.
I was a little annoyed with the announcers and I thought the officials were letting a lot of body contact and displacement on both Stef and Stewart when they were shooting - they seemed focused on upper body and missed a couple of forearms to the midsection, especially on a Stef basket fairly early in the first half. Otherwise I thought they called a pretty solid game. On the elbow to the nose - the foul was called first with two hands to the body, and Stewarts elbow was not extended away from her body so I think that was why no foul was called on her - more the Ohio player put her face into Stewarts arms.
Thought Ohio played pretty well on defense and ran a very deliberate motion offense - I suspect they are a team that will improve significantly as the year goes along because of the new coach and a fairly new roster.
And yes - I thought it was a lot more fun watching Uconn play well last weekend than it was to watch a less stellar effort tonight even if it was a little more 'competitive'.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The most positive thing about tonight's game was that for large stretches, our young woman completely disrupted the Ohio State offense; steals, blocks, wonderful switches and general mayhem without excessive fouling.

There was one segment early in the second half in which the State players were just tossing up anything; not legitimate shots. They did regain their composure (credit to them) and made a mini-run but UConn had just enough to thwart any such effort.

Clearly Bria was the most ready to compete and was most wonderful in her aggression. But not right at the beginning of the game,.
She was pretty quiet for the first third of the game but the burst forth. If I'm not mistaken she only attempted one three-pointer which she missed.

Much has been written about Stewie (above) but if I'm not mistaken she had 3 air balls; never saw that.

Geno was pretty calm, considering the lack of artistry and crispness.

Sweet, mod arena, even if the attendance was slight, but virtually all the nearby restaurants were closed and the area was like a ghost town.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We have seen the shift back to old rules by the officials which is what I was afraid would happen. Even Rebbeca got so caught up in Breanna catching the OSU player on the nose she completely missed the hand foul and then the full body contact foul by the OSU player that led to it. The game was much more physical and clogged up.

Reaction Score
I was at the game this evening. What struck me was the lack of focus across the board among the UConn players. Only Bria seemed to be playing with intensity and energy. There was also no sense of any sort of offensive game plan, and I strongly doubt Geno sent them out without one. Whatever it was supposed to be, it didn't happen. And there were far more than 1100 in attendance there. 3000-3500 would be my guess.

I arrived early enough for both the earlier shootaround and the pregame warmup. At no time was Kaleena shooting. She and Morgan retrieved balls at the shootaround, and she stood out at the perimeter cheerleading in the pregame warmups.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
As I said on another thread, I was at the game and 1134 seemed absurdly low. I would have guessed 3000 minimum.

One thought just occurred to me. I printed out my ticket, with the bar code. When I arrived, she took part of my paper, but didn't scan the ticket. While this means they could have counted the slips of paper, maybe they didn't. Maybe they only counted walk-up sales, or something other than all sales.

Reaction Score
I was at the game this evening. What struck me was the lack of focus across the board among the UConn players. Only Bria seemed to be playing with intensity and energy. There was also no sense of any sort of offensive game plan, and I strongly doubt Geno sent them out without one. Whatever it was supposed to be, it didn't happen. And there were far more than 1100 in attendance there. 3000-3500 would be my guess.

I arrived early enough for both the earlier shootaround and the pregame warmup. At no time was Kaleena shooting. She and Morgan retrieved balls at the shootaround, and she stood out at the perimeter cheerleading in the pregame warmups.

And Kaleena dd have a brace on her elbow.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
It did occur to me that we might be referring to two different time frames: the earlier-in-the-day shoot-around, and the pre-game warm-ups. Perhaps KML was shooting, brace-free in the morning, but not in the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom