UCONN - Villanova Post-Game thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Villanova Post-Game thread

Reaction Score
I watched a very good Villanova team play an exhausted and poorly playing UConn Team with little if any substitutions and UConn still won by shear grit.

The schedule for a 5 person Team or 7 if you count the ones on the bench ready to play is very, very tough and was visualized when this schedule was created. I would bet if Geno could do this all over again, this would schedule would be a little different.

I do hope that the Team gets some substantial rest and perhaps, even one player becomes available.

Reaction Score
Have to admit Q1 surprised me a bit in that Aubrey and Aaliyah had 4 shots blocked between them. And offensively, it seemed a few times like Plan A, then Plan B, then Plan C wasn't working, but UCONN was so patient and found the right players to get the ball to. Was really impressed at how good Villanova was on both offense and defense. Thought UCONN was on a good roll. But turnovers continue to be a problem. Some of them are butter-finger post players. Some brain-fart decisions by Nika (great steal, then home run pass to no one down the court). And foul trouble. Nova simply outplayed us in Q2. Our offense was just messy, and part of that was great defense by Nova.

More of the same in the 2nd half. Edwards getting blocked, missed shots, great Villanova defense, and Nova took the lead. Not sure what halftime changes Geno drew up, but nothing was working. I thought the Georgetown game was one of the worst of the season, but this one was harder to watch for me. 8 points scored in Q2. 10 points in Q3. They outplayed UCONN for long stretches of the game. Sigriest was the best player on the floor, altho Griffin was terrific for UCONN.

It sort of seemed like Geno kept expecting the players to figure it out, but it never really came.
  • Aaliyah - step backwards for her today. Got her shot blocked numerous times by a smaller younger player. And missed layups and jumpers when she did get a shot off. But those 2 clutch FT's late - ice water in her veins for sure. 1-2 the next time down. Oh well. Then got those last 2!!!
  • Dorka - too many butterfinger plays. Then I look up and she's got 16 points. That 3 that she took to give UCONN the lead late - I was like "NOOOOO"... then "YESSSSSS"... And that heads up play late saving a half court violation!
  • Nika - 1 assist thru 3 quarters. She did some scoring, but that bad pass in Q1 after getting the steal, then the pass to Dorka in Q4 to take the lead - Dorka was double teamed AND the pass was a bad one. Then followed it up with a beautiful pass to a streaking Aubrey for one of our few fast break baskets.
  • Lou - couldn't get anything going. I realize the old adage "shooters gotta shoot", but 2-13? At some point you gotta realize that taking contested shots is costing your team possessions.
  • Aubrey - Q2 really was the Aubrey show. That reverse layup under the basket with a defender in her face was special. I get that this is technically her 3rd season, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a player improve so much from one season to the next. Her confidence is what allows her to use her physical gifts AND basketball skills to not only be an elite defender, but to show her impressive offensive game. But that 4th foul was so dumb. AND her FT shooting. WOW. I thought those 2 missed FT's were gonna come back to haunt us but she did everything else exceptionally. POG for sure from UCONN's perspective.
That play in the last 30 seconds was just dumb. Couldn't get the ball in, then Edwards is tied up, then Nova drains a 3. Are you serious? SMH. It was like the team never worked on an inbounds play before. Up 5 with 30 seconds left and THAT'S what you do??? The last 30 seconds really was poorly played and mismanaged.

Bottom line is maybe the lack of bench is catching up with them.
Bottom line to me is great teams find a way to win on bad days, which is exactly what they did. Nova was very well prepared and caught Uconn on a day they were there to be had. But defense keeps you in games, and Uconn made the plays in winning time. This team, these players, are not robots and the mistakes they made, which were pretty much no different than the ones they have made all season, were very much accentuated by the poor shooting.
They won against a very good Nova team on a day when Edwards and Senechal both had very poor shooting games. On to the next one……..

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I watched a very good Villanova team play an exhausted and poorly playing UConn Team with little if any substitutions and UConn still won by shear grit.

The schedule for a 5 person Team or 7 if you count the ones on the bench ready to play is very, very tough and was visualized when this schedule was created. I would bet if Geno could do this all over again, this would schedule would be a little different.

I do hope that the Team gets some substantial rest and perhaps, even one player becomes available.
Unfortunately Geno can’t control the Big East schedule. He’s told when/where to play conference games

Reaction Score
A tough win against a team that was motivated to repeat an upset.

UConn was emotionally tired after a difficult outing to Knoxville. I could tell starting 2Q that the team was not bringing the ball up quickly. There wasn’t much of the fluid motion, the screens and cuts, or the posting hard down low. For a team that leads the country in assists per game, there was not much of that going on.

Villanova deserves a lot of credit for playing well on defense and limiting UConn’s possessions. Villanova took 62 shots to UConn’s 49. We turned the ball over 6 more times than they did. They had 7 steals. Siegrest and Olsen had great games.

Audrey had a strong game and attacked the basket often. Aaliyah had a solid game but was not as successful with her offense. Dorka played well and made key shots from the outside. Lou was guarded very closely and did get beat up. Nika fought hard and made some good drives to the basket. Ayanna contributed important minutes.

Time to rest, recover, and get ready for the important days ahead. The NCAA tournament is going to have games in quick succession. So this stretch is good preparation for March.

Hope Azzi and Caroline are getting better. The team needs them!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Remember UConn played the make-up game against Depaul on Monday night. UConn played Saturday (1/21), Monday (1/23), Thursday (1/26 in Knoxville) and then today 1/29. .

Villanova last played Friday, January 20.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
All I want to say is all the people who were thrashing Lou, AE, Dorka in the chat must have never had a bad day at work.
Just look at the box score and look at how many minutes each of our girls played today, then go from there. Tell Aaliyah, Dorka and Nika that playing the entire game is no excuse for not playing a perfect game. :rolleyes: Lou played 38 mins and Aubrey 36. Patterson subbed in for 6 mins in the first half. Our girls just might have been a little tired.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We need someone to get healthy and provide some help. We can't continue to play starters all game. They'll be dead tired in March.
They'll be dead tired BEFORE March. :eek: Something's got to give. This can't keep up. I don't know what can be done, but this can't continue. I'll let Geno figure it out.............he always does. No condemnation here on anyone.

Our starters had a little 8 lb. baby chimp on their backs after the first quarter. Then it grew to a 400 lb "Go-rilla" by the end of the game. :confused: This was the kind of game you can lose in tournament play and get sent home. :eek: A tip o' the turban to the entire team. They looked adversity square in the eye and did not blink. They fought through fatigue and some bad plays, but found a way to win.

Another bonus today...........no injuries. :)

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Hey a win is a win. Edwards didn't have the best game but she proved that she has ice-cold water running through her veins. Aubrey had a great game with 19 and 6. On the other side of the court Maddy Siegrist showed why she is one of the best players in the country...despite UConn's best efforts she still scored 25 points and got 8 rebounds. But, the surprise of the game was Olsen who knocked down 19 points and got 7 rebounds. This game felt like pulling teeth...especially with some of the turnovers players trying to drive through 3 Villanova defenders only to get the ball poked away.

Villanova is ranked 2nd in the nation for the fewest turnovers per game...and, they did not disappoint only turning the ball over 9 times. I think the short bench is catching up with UConn and they were playing with tired legs. A lot of shots were short-armed.
Let's face it Villanova was able to play their game. They defended well, they took care of the basketball, they were physical committing 18 fouls, they kept the score to the fifties and low sixties...which played to their advantage. Their interior defense was good as they limited Edwards to only 3 field goals. But, at the end of the day UConn found a way to win.

What UConn needs is for some of their injured players to heal and get back on the court. Having your starters playing all 40 minutes is a recipe for disaster.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

3 starters played 40, 1 played 38, one 36. Massage tables and bed rest all around. What fighters we have.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I vote for CD to do the substitutions against Providence. She is not afraid to play the subs early. I wouldn't be surprised if Geno didn't sub the starters until mid second quarter, with a 30 point lead. SMH

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was there with 14,000 or so other nervous nellies, none more so than me.

Lots of pink colors throughout the building, and a tribute to a number of breast cancer survivors that was very well done. Touching.

I had underestimated Villanova, they are a much better team than I saw at Mohegan Sun in December when Iowa State trounced them. I thought they would play as a small finesse team but they are actually pretty physical. And Olsen is very good. In person, you can see she has very long arms. Dalce obviously gave Aaliyah some problems.

I thought we were done when it was 51-45, but Nika`s three that made it 51-50 really got the crowd into it. And it was a great crowd.

Gutsy three by Dorka. That was the shot that showed and she took it without hesitation.

Looked like Geno decided to go with individual isolations down low in the fourth quarter and that strategy won us the game. That, and some pretty tough defense down the stretch. Siegrist was held scoreless for the last 8 minutes, that is pretty remarkable.

Aubrey was special today. Really special.

She had four fouls for a long time and was able to stay on the floor and not foul out. Aaliyah did a nice job in that regard as well.

Aubrey`s fourth foul was in front of me and looked like a phantom foul in person but maybe the replay shows otherwise. I saw a couple of others like that as well (especially a foul against Lou on the baseline) but down the stretch, it seemed like the refs let the players decide the game.

I like how Nika is taking it to the hoop.

I saw that Stanford only beat Oregon State by three the other day. Ohio State (overrated IMHO) lost a couple recently. The Boston Celtics dropped three in a row recently before winning in overtime last night. A sportswriter friend of mine told me many years ago that at this time of year, late January to mid-February, strange things can happen in the basketball world. Win, and move on.

Reaction Score
The same was so close I didn't even think of it. Just annoying hearing people says our players "Suck" When they are out there busting it on every play.
Stop the complaining, these young ladies have busted their buts all season playing short handed almost the entire game. Caroline and Azzi haven’t been much help do to injury and it doesn’t look like either will be back anytime soon. Geno doesn’t seem to have any confidence in his bench. Seems to only play them when a starter gets in foul trouble or desperately needs s breather. Patterson has been a big disappointment to me. I thought she would be much further along in her development.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Gutsy three by Dorka. That was the shot that showed and she took it without hesitation.

Looked like Geno decided to go with individual isolations down low in the fourth quarter and that strategy won us the game. That, and some pretty tough defense down the stretch. Siegrist was held scoreless for the last 8 minutes, that is pretty remarkable.

Aubrey was special today. Really special.
A replay on TV show the three by Dorka was a designed play.

Geno has had to tell the team to go one on one a few times. Individually, the Huskies have some players that have shown they can’t be guarded.

Reaction Score
While not funny, I laughed at a tactic Villanova was using against Edwards during the game. In high school, when we guarded a player significantly taller or more athletic than us, coach taught us to get position with one of our feet between the offensive player's legs and just hold our position. The offensive player typically tripped or shot off balance, and the refs rarely were looking at the floor and missed the call. I couldn't understand why Edwards looked so awkward in the beginning of the game, then caught on to how Vill. was guarding her. As they sometimes say, if the refs don't call it, its not a foul.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom