UCONN - Villanova Post-Game thread | The Boneyard

UCONN - Villanova Post-Game thread

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Have to admit Q1 surprised me a bit in that Aubrey and Aaliyah had 4 shots blocked between them. And offensively, it seemed a few times like Plan A, then Plan B, then Plan C wasn't working, but UCONN was so patient and found the right players to get the ball to. Was really impressed at how good Villanova was on both offense and defense. Thought UCONN was on a good roll. But turnovers continue to be a problem. Some of them are butter-finger post players. Some brain-fart decisions by Nika (great steal, then home run pass to no one down the court). And foul trouble. Nova simply outplayed us in Q2. Our offense was just messy, and part of that was great defense by Nova.

More of the same in the 2nd half. Edwards getting blocked, missed shots, great Villanova defense, and Nova took the lead. Not sure what halftime changes Geno drew up, but nothing was working. I thought the Georgetown game was one of the worst of the season, but this one was harder to watch for me. 8 points scored in Q2. 10 points in Q3. They outplayed UCONN for long stretches of the game. Sigriest was the best player on the floor, altho Griffin was terrific for UCONN.

It sort of seemed like Geno kept expecting the players to figure it out, but it never really came.
  • Aaliyah - step backwards for her today. Got her shot blocked numerous times by a smaller younger player. And missed layups and jumpers when she did get a shot off. But those 2 clutch FT's late - ice water in her veins for sure. 1-2 the next time down. Oh well. Then got those last 2!!!
  • Dorka - too many butterfinger plays. Then I look up and she's got 16 points. That 3 that she took to give UCONN the lead late - I was like "NOOOOO"... then "YESSSSSS"... And that heads up play late saving a half court violation!
  • Nika - 1 assist thru 3 quarters. She did some scoring, but that bad pass in Q1 after getting the steal, then the pass to Dorka in Q4 to take the lead - Dorka was double teamed AND the pass was a bad one. Then followed it up with a beautiful pass to a streaking Aubrey for one of our few fast break baskets.
  • Lou - couldn't get anything going. I realize the old adage "shooters gotta shoot", but 2-13? At some point you gotta realize that taking contested shots is costing your team possessions.
  • Aubrey - Q2 really was the Aubrey show. That reverse layup under the basket with a defender in her face was special. I get that this is technically her 3rd season, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a player improve so much from one season to the next. Her confidence is what allows her to use her physical gifts AND basketball skills to not only be an elite defender, but to show her impressive offensive game. But that 4th foul was so dumb. AND her FT shooting. WOW. I thought those 2 missed FT's were gonna come back to haunt us but she did everything else exceptionally. POG for sure from UCONN's perspective.
That play in the last 30 seconds was just dumb. Couldn't get the ball in, then Edwards is tied up, then Nova drains a 3. Are you serious? SMH. It was like the team never worked on an inbounds play before. Up 5 with 30 seconds left and THAT'S what you do??? The last 30 seconds really was poorly played and mismanaged.

Bottom line is maybe the lack of bench is catching up with them. Didn't seem that way in the Seton Hall or Tennessee games. Not sure the reason this game went the way it did, but kudos to Villanova for outplaying UCONN for long stretches and imposing their will. I think they are much better than the 21st team in the nation. We really won the game at the FT line. What a gutty performance by Nova. And as much as I was pointing out things we did wrong, we kept our composure and gutted out a tremendous win against a really good team. REALLY proud of these guys.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
OMG! What a gritty tough win (AGAIN). Didn't bring our "A" game but made the plays when it counted. AG player of the day IMO. Exciting game made a lot more frustrating by the miserable trolls in the chat room.

Reaction Score
I only got the chance to really watch the 2nd half. Some uglyyyyy performances overall, but credit where credit is due …

AE showed up big time at the end of the game to seal the win. Dorka made a clutch 3 in Q4 that helped them with momentum. AG made some good plays and really stepped up. Winners find a way to get it done and at the end of the day, a win is a win is a win. Win and move on. There’s no style points in basketball and come March all that you need to do is know how to dig down deep and get through whatever is thrown at you.

I’m sure Nova is going to be thinking to themselves how many great chances they had to put the game away in their favor …

Reaction Score
I thought this game was lost....our team has played too many games without much help from the bench. Don't take anything away from Villanova, they played a great game. Still, in the end UConn held on for a victory that could have gone either way.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
OMG! What a gritty tough win (AGAIN). Didn't bring our "A" game but made the plays when it counted. AG player of the day IMO. Exciting game made a lot more frustrating by the miserable trolls in the chat room.
You can Report posts in the chat room

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That was an exhausted basketball team.

UConn played 3 games since Villanova played its last game.

Posters who criticize UConn's effort are the worst.

They gutted out the win. Let's be thankful.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom