UConn-USF post game thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn-USF post game thread

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I pouted before the game that this might be a tough one...it was, no gimme.
I still think it is possible that the team loses...not likely, but possible.
More likely is a couple of tough, grind it out wins in the last three games.
So, we wind up with the Natty, but its not the perfect artistic success.

The key starters seem mentally tired; the time off will help, but perhaps not as much as we hope

Lou is off her shot, Pheesa disappeared at times; happily re-emerged near the end; Kia's been so preoccupied with D, the last couple of games, that it's taken a toll on her offense. Danger, Gabby and Z all have been better. Walker seems almost ready

We will see very clearly Geno's marshaling his forces in the next few weeks.
He is the grand-master at it, but others are gaining.

It may be enough, but perhaps not.

a decastich?

Reaction Score
Didnt know where to put this, but I wanted to compliment the announcing team of Frede and Lobo. I know it helped that the game was closer, longer, but I felt they worked together really well. Frede reported much more on the game and Lobos stories were more relevant and shorter without Lawson to chat with. Hope they use this pairing more!

Reaction Score
It is a little concerning to me that Geno did not see fit to insert any of his "true bench" players (except for 7 min by MW), even in the mop-up minutes. You would think he would give them the chance to play in the Tournament Championship game. I wonder if they were truly that bad in practice.

Reaction Score
How good would Gabby be with two good hips? Or one good hip? or 1/2 a hip?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Didnt know where to put this, but I wanted to compliment the announcing team of Frede and Lobo. I know it helped that the game was closer, longer, but I felt they worked together really well. Frede reported much more on the game and Lobos stories were more relevant and shorter without Lawson to chat with. Hope they use this pairing more!

Frede is old school; not a cheap ESPN wannabe.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It is a little concerning to me that Geno did not see fit to insert any of his "true bench" players (except for 7 min by MW), even in the mop-up minutes. You would think he would give them the chance to play in the Tournament Championship game. I wonder if they were truly that bad in practice.
Tournament time in close games (a lead of less than 30 IMO) is not mop up time, it's time to keep running the offense and defense.
Oh, the Seniors got the chance to play in their last Tournament Championship game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m a Connecticut pizza snob with the best of them, but I make a Hawaiian pizza with freshly-cut pineapple and honey-cured ham that’s to die for - I ain’t lyin’.
"For" or "from?"

Reaction Score
Molly and Kyla were queued up to check in with 2 minutes left, but there was never the right break to put them in.

Reaction Score
Molly and Kyla were queued up to check in with 2 minutes left, but there was never the right break to put them in.
Yep, felt bad for them. Was hoping one of the players on the court would foul someone to stop the clock, but maybe USF was in the bonus.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While I agree that the defense was very good, I believe that the offense also played well. They got good shots, especially early but they just wouldn't go in.

It's like those days on the course when the cup is the size of a dinner plate and the next round it's a shot glass. Missed bunnies and wide open threes.

Some days the lid is on the basket, and the easy "point blank" shots just won't go down. UConn should have had at least another 12 points on the bunnies, layups and free throws that were missed. :confused:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I’m a Connecticut pizza snob with the best of them, but I make a Hawaiian pizza with freshly-cut pineapple and honey-cured ham that’s to die for - I ain’t lyin’.

I first came across pizza made Hawaiian-style with Pineapple
in New Zealand in 1995.
Thought it was appalling then (as was the pizza)
I mean...What do Kiwi's know about making pizza.
Nothing much has transpired in the interim to change my mind.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The first place I ever saw Hawaiian pizza was in Germany. That bordered on a surreal experience for me

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I love Meghan Culmo and Eric Frede, but..............................if she ever decides to step away, or they decide to replace her, I think Rebecca Lobo would be an excellent replacement. I also really enjoyed her commentary, professional approach and demeanor during the game yesterday. I think she is as knowledgeable about everything UConn as Meghan is.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
But after awhile I kind of felt for Lou and Gabby. Gabby had to be in there while limping around like a elder, while Lou just couldn't shoot her way out of one of her worst shooting nights.

Geno said later that Lou hasn't been practicing as much lately because of her foot and ankle. He blamed a lot of it because she was getting tired with the 3 games in 3 days. He stated that with the rest for the next few days and then the day off between games she should be okay.

Reaction Score
I only saw the second half of the game. Not an artistic masterpiece but to me the outcome was never in doubt. USF was never able to put together any kind of serious run to get the lead under double digits if I recall correctly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I only saw the second half of the game. Not an artistic masterpiece but to me the outcome was never in doubt. USF was never able to put together any kind of serious run to get the lead under double digits if I recall correctly.
I believe USF cut it from 23 to 14.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm in the camp of those not particularly bothered by the final. UConn outplayed their (ranked) opponent by a lot overall. Up 23 after 3 quarters, with all those missed bunnies. As others have pointed out, the lead could have been and should have been a lot larger. As for Laksa, yeah, she threw up a few from a different census tract and they went in. Meh. I do agree that USF came to play and competed the whole game, a credit to the players and the coaches.

Oh, I had a pineapple pizza while watching the replay. Thoroughly enjoyed it, (the pizza)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom