UConn to new Big East? What happens to Husky football? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn to new Big East? What happens to Husky football?

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony @ManthonyCourant 4 minutes ago
Statement from UConn: “It is our responsibility to always be mindful of what is in the best interest of our student athletes, our fans and our future. With that being said, we have been and remain proud members of the American Athletic Conference.”

TJT

Reaction Score
Annual in state league games with CCSU and Sacred Heart in the NEC.

Last edited:

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
As someone who wants UConn in the new big east. I don’t think nor do I want anything happens to this football program. If they make this move they have a trick up there sleeve for football.
Hope so. Yikes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A couple of things. Remember when Louisville announced their move, they had already filed their intent to leave the AAC; even before they knew where they'd end up. That notification helped reduce their timeline and buyout to the conference.
Secondly, if UConn followed a similar path it could explain lack of tier 3 rights from the new TV deal. UConn was probably the only AAC school looking hard at retaining 3rd tier rights.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony @ManthonyCourant 4 minutes ago
Statement from UConn: “It is our responsibility to always be mindful of what is in the best interest of our student athletes, our fans and our future. With that being said, we have been and remain proud members of the American Athletic Conference.”

This literally sounds like a commitment speech...

“With that being said, we have committed to AAC”

1 year later...

“After talking to the family and friends I have decided to transfer to the big east”

Reaction Score
Unless—as a quid pro quo for getting our BBall, Fox can get us guaranteed football games as an Independent against those within its network purview I.e., the B1G, Big12 and Pac12, and preferred access to its bowl lineup e.g. Redbox Bowl should there be an opening— this move is a disaster.

Reaction Score
So whats next for football? Assuming we are not dropping the sport I see 4 realistic options.

From best to worst:

1) Best case realistic scenario has us somehow staying in the AAC. Not sure how realistic this is, but we are the only original member of this conference going back to 79. Pray this somehow happens. The decision is probably ESPN's since they control the $$$. Let the lobbying begin.

2) second best realistic scenario has the MAC taking us as football only. Maybe we can throw a few basketball games their way as an inducement.

3) GO independent. I hate this option. Look at the problems UMASS has had. :(

4) Back to FCS. :(:( You can probably debate which is worse 3) or 4)

P.S. A big thanks to the idiots who hired PP. We're coming off a Fiesta Bowl appearance we are still at that time in a BCS league and the best you can do is hire someone that Syracuse fired 6 years earlier.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Negotiation leverage

I don't know the budget nor the priorities. Nuts. However, I believe NOT being on SNY and being subject to the Conference placing all that content - equal to the other AAC schools - on ESPN+ is a deal breaker. One that we need to punch back.

We have a unique Athletic Structure. I believe we can succeed at Football. But, we need to not be slammed by this conference.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Unless there's some rabbit to be pulled out of a hat, this is really bad.

Mike Anthony better pull that rabbit out of the hat for us in the next few hours or Randy can take the summer getting his new WOs ready to play on the two deep.

Reaction Score
The way things go around here in regards to Conference Realignment is they probably vote to not extend invitation. LOL

In the past, these things have always been a done deal before they leak. You're right though, with our luck they will release a statment saying "sykeeeee we just playing".

Reaction Score
Maybe we did call the AAC's bluff. They can kick us out, but who can they replace us with anyway? UMass? Buffalo? Not a ton of appealing options out there, really.

At least UConn Football sort of has the potential to be okay.

Reaction Score
Is this Hartford Courant story credible or a rehash of the same sources?

"UConn is on the verge of joining the Big East for all sports that the conference sponsors, sources confirmed Saturday morning. Though the university is awaiting and fully expecting an official invitation from the Big East, an announcement of the Huskies' move is forthcoming.

This move will return UConn to its storied basketball roots and trigger long-term security and better opportunity for its two programs in that sport. However, UConn must figure out what to do with its football program. Dropping the program is not being considered. It is highly unlikely that the American Athletic Conference would have interest in retaining UConn as a football-only member, though with scheduling done well in advance the Huskies are expected to play in the AAC for the upcoming season.

For 2020, UConn will have to find another conference for football or have the program operate as an independent. Details are still being negotiated out on several fronts, including financial. UConn has explored a move to the Big East in recent years but found several sticking points, including high exit fees. The timing of the move for basketball is also uncertain. UConn had no comment Saturday. The move was first reported by Digital Sports Desk, a Boston-based website."

UConn on the verge of joining the Big East, football future in the AAC unclear

Reaction Score
A football only conference with Temple, UMass, Buffalo, Navy, Army, and Old Dominion sound good. Drag Temple to the Big East with us.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The AAC will not keep UConn as a football only member per Pete Thamel. We're CUSA MAC or Independent bound. Shoot me.

And Pete's response makes sense... look at add Army or Air Force as football only. If that doesn't work, I could see them add UMass as football only just to have a body.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom