Uconn/Syracuse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn/Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not quite sure why you think the ACC should be afraid of UCONN football.... but ok... we will see.
Just Duke.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Im not familiar with the Syracuse athletic facilities..... but there has to be a smaller venue for the women to play their games in. Playing games in that dome is just ridiculous. :eek: I feel kinda bad for the players. They have a good team..... but to play in front of 200 people in a 35,000 seat stadium, has to be a bit disheartening.

Just Duke.

Duke has a great coach....... recruiting better than ever.... and finally putting money and getting serious about football. Duke should be in good shape going forward. :) Ive been a Duke football fan since I was in 2nd grade ....... so Im definitely not jumping on the bandwagon

Reaction Score
Im not familiar with the Syracuse athletic facilities..... but there has to be a smaller venue for the women to play their games in. Playing games in that dome is just ridiculous. :eek: I feel kinda bad for the players. They have a good team..... but to play in front of 200 people in a 35,000 seat stadium, has to be a bit disheartening.
Actually their 2014-15 home attendance averaged 674 (a whopping 2.7% of the Carrier Dome's basketball capacity). Gotta think a UCONN game would draw more than their entire 15-game 2014-15 home attendance of 10,110.

Reaction Score
1. Do we know for sure if the home game at Syracuse was flat out rejected by the powers that be at Syracuse or is that mere speculation concerning a program for whom many here harbor ill will anyway? Is it not possible that there was no room on the Orange schedule for an our f co0nference game.
2. Have there been other instances where UConn was unable to schedule a coming home game for one of its players?
3. Is it possible that UConn, itself, did not want to schedule Syracuse and always wanted to schedule Colgate?
4. Attendance for the last 7 UConn games at Syracuse from 2001 to 2012 are 2024, 3328, 3442, 3779, 4221, 3230, and 4357. Whether these attendance figures represent actual turnstile clicking or ticket sales is not known.

Reaction Score
1. Do we know for sure if the home game at Syracuse was flat out rejected by the powers that be at Syracuse or is that mere speculation concerning a program for whom many here harbor ill will anyway? Is it not possible that there was no room on the Orange schedule for an our f co0nference game.
2. Have there been other instances where UConn was unable to schedule a coming home game for one of its players?
3. Is it possible that UConn, itself, did not want to schedule Syracuse and always wanted to schedule Colgate?
4. Attendance for the last 7 UConn games at Syracuse from 2001 to 2012 are 2024, 3328, 3442, 3779, 4221, 3230, and 4357. Whether these attendance figures represent actual turnstile clicking or ticket sales is not known.
Why would anyone with aspirations to improve their WBB NOT play UConn? Great measuring stick and helps OOC schedule in March even when they lose!!

Reaction Score
1) I think UConn was working on it as soon as cuse jumped ship. They aren't so in demand as to not have any openings.
2) yes KML last year, couldn't get UCLA or USC had to count Stanford as the homecoming game. (not sure if SDSU, was tried).
3) No UConn was trying to schedule home and home with Syracuse but they wouldn't agree, It was reported but I don't have the link. I don't know if Syracuse would have been willing to play without the return game.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Fixed.... ;)

Certainly not scared of UCONN Football :cool:
Typical of Blue Devils fans to go to other boards and hurl crap that sticks to their fingers. Sure the UConn pigskin has not been well inflated lately and no one here will be pumping it up that highly, but tell me has historically sad sack Duke team ever beaten UConn on the football field? From what I remember, they played in 2004 and 2007 with the Huskies winning both games and Duke getting pounded by 31 on their home field in the last games. Granted that margin might not be considered that huge by the UConn WCBB team, but it's still respectable.

It's been 54 years since the Duke gridders won a bowl game, and until they can play in something better than the Belk bowl, the fans should probably keep a very very low profile. Poof.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone with aspirations to improve their WBB NOT play UConn? Great measuring stick and helps OOC schedule in March even when they lose!!

That is what makes an outright/spiteful/vengeful refusal all the more perplexing. What is troubling is that there are at least three journalists covering UConn WBB extensively and not one of them delved any deeper into the story; Not even to get a quote from Coach Auriemma, or from anyone in the respective athletic administrations of the two schools. This lack of journalistic pursuit leaves us to speculate within the realm of our personal biases.

Given that:
1. It would be a big game in Syracuse. Big games build programs.
2. It is a homecoming game for Ms Stewart, the best player in WCBB and highly regarded in her hometown; Homecoming games are a very common practice. One would think that common courtesy dictates the negotiations.
3. There is now a notable Syracuse-UConn connection with Kia Nurse. There are likely more.
4. The UConn president and the Colgate president are siblings
I just cannot fathom Syracuse turning down the opportunity without cause.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that another ACC school is backing away from playing UCONN. ND backed away upon joining that conference & Duke recently opted out. FSU bucked the trend and is agreed to play us but the ACC has nothing to gain by playing UCONN.

I enjoy your posts Coco, but I think this one is inaccurate. When did ND back out? Did they cancel the series following the 2015-16 season? If so, I have not heard anything about that. And ND wanted to play UConn their first season in the ACC but UConn didn't have room on their schedule that year.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Is it true Syracuse women have declined to play defending national champion Uconn which features Syracuse native Breanna Stewart, but have scheduled games in Austria, Czech Republic and Slovakia?

I can see the connection you are attempting to make, but listing these two things in the same sentence suggests that if Syracuse hadn't scheduled this foreign tour, they would have room for UConn during the season. That is not the case. These summer games are exhibitions and have no effect on the upcoming season's schedule.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
The off season international tour Syracuse will embark upon is similar to trips UConn has taken in the past. There may have been others, but for sure, UConn went to Italy in 1994 and in 2006. If I am not mistaken, a team is allowed to do this every five years. There was a time when incoming(dare I say rising:p) freshmen were not allowed on such trips. I believe that has changed.

Yes, that changed. It is my understanding that freshman can participate now if they complete a summer school class at their college before the trip.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Why would Syracuse schedule UConn so Breanna Stewart can play at home? What would be the benefit to them? If Stewart was really that interested in playing at Syracuse, she could have gone to school there. Its not the Cuse's responsibility to give her a "Home" game. I'm sure she doesn't need it at this point in her career. If I'm the AD at Syracuse, I don't schedule UConn either, especially when my team has the opportunity for an international tour.

Reaction Score
That is what makes an outright/spiteful/vengeful refusal all the more perplexing. What is troubling is that there are at least three journalists covering UConn WBB extensively and not one of them delved any deeper into the story; Not even to get a quote from Coach Auriemma, or from anyone in the respective athletic administrations of the two schools. This lack of journalistic pursuit leaves us to speculate within the realm of our personal biases.

Given that:
1. It would be a big game in Syracuse. Big games build programs.
2. It is a homecoming game for Ms Stewart, the best player in WCBB and highly regarded in her hometown; Homecoming games are a very common practice. One would think that common courtesy dictates the negotiations.
3. There is now a notable Syracuse-UConn connection with Kia Nurse. There are likely more.
4. The UConn president and the Colgate president are siblings
I just cannot fathom Syracuse turning down the opportunity without cause.
How senseless on SU's part..little spiteful and cowardly looking too!?!

Reaction Score
Why would Syracuse schedule UConn so Breanna Stewart can play at home? What would be the benefit to them? If Stewart was really that interested in playing at Syracuse, she could have gone to school there. Its not the Cuse's responsibility to give her a "Home" game. I'm sure she doesn't need it at this point in her career. If I'm the AD at Syracuse, I don't schedule UConn either, especially when my team has the opportunity for an international tour.
You don't seem to have read the thread... Syracuse gets a nationally televised game (and media revenue, and exposure). They sell tickets, many more tickets than normal. If they actually care about trying to be good (doubtful) they would have a good test, and a team that will point out their weaknesses so they can improve. Also they wouldn't look like jerks to the local people who know Stewie and will now drive to Colgate to see her, and who would have considered going to more cuse games.

The international tour has NO bearing on their regular season schedule.

The only thing they really have to lose is a game, which they will lose several anyway. If you play UConn you might beat them, but if you don't play them you definitely won't.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I enjoy your posts Coco, but I think this one is inaccurate. When did ND back out? Did they cancel the series following the 2015-16 season? If so, I have not heard anything about that. And ND wanted to play UConn their first season in the ACC but UConn didn't have room on their schedule that year.
ND did not play UCONN in the 2013-2014 regular season the first year ND was in the ACC. To be fair there was blame going back and forth among the staff & schedulers and backing away might have been too strong but the game did not happen.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I'm glad, actually. There are very few teams who play a dirtier version of grab, slap and pull than the Syracuse women. Honestly, I'd be worried about injuries to our kids. The UCONN players were so pissed off at Syracuse's antics that Geno asked the players what they wanted to do. All of them said "leave the starters in till the end" and Maya (sophomore) buried them with 30 points in 3 pointers on her way to scoring 40.

Here's an article on the game I just referenced. That was the same game where one of the Orange players appeared to try to kick Geno in the hand-shake line.

Moore delivers knockout punch

Maybe Syracuse's problem is they just don't like UCONN, but I have no idea why they'd reject the game. I'm fine playing Colgate.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
A coach's attitude is usually copied by his/her players.

Reaction Score
The hole damn ACC is chicken !

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Actually their 2014-15 home attendance averaged 674 (a whopping 2.7% of the Carrier Dome's basketball capacity). Gotta think a UCONN game would draw more than their entire 15-game 2014-15 home attendance of 10,110.
A very reliable source has told me that Syracuse, in an attempt to draw more male fans to their women's game, is actively seeking to recruit Antonija Misura.

Reaction Score
A very reliable source has told me that Syracuse, in an attempt to draw more male fans to their women's game, is actively seeking to recruit Antonija Misura.
You're funny Hope. Unfortunately she has been a pro for 10 years (or else many of us would become Syracuse fans now!)

upload_2015-6-15_15-12-18.png

upload_2015-6-15_15-10-36.png

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
ND did not play UCONN in the 2013-2014 regular season the first year ND was in the ACC. To be fair there was blame going back and forth among the staff & schedulers and backing away might have been too strong but the game did not happen.
No, Notre Dame did not back away from scheduling UConn in any way, which is what you originally claimed. I think you are forgetting the controversy. Muffet suggested that Geno was ducking ND because UConn claimed they didn't have any room on the schedule once ND joined the ACC (2013-14 season). And then someone on UConn's side (not Geno or any of the coaches) claimed that ND had not responded to UConn's request to schedule a game the following season (2014-15). ND claimed they had already agreed to the request and then the ND response was located by the UConn people. So it seems to me that UConn never tried to duck ND (but couldn't fit ND into their schedule once the AAC was formed) but that ND most certainly did not decline an opportunity to play UConn.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
The hole damn ACC is chicken !
No, the whole ACC is not chicken. ND has played UConn every opportunity they have had and FSU is playing UConn this season. I believe that UConn cancelled the series with UNC. Are there any ACC teams other than Duke and Syracuse that have chosen not to play UConn? I think Louisville has agreed to play in 2016-17, but I am not sure on that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No, Notre Dame did not back away from scheduling UConn in any way, which is what you originally claimed. I think you are forgetting the controversy. Muffet suggested that Geno was ducking ND because UConn claimed they didn't have any room on the schedule once ND joined the ACC (2013-14 season). And then someone on UConn's side (not Geno or any of the coaches) claimed that ND had not responded to UConn's request to schedule a game the following season (2014-15). ND claimed they had already agreed to the request and then the ND response was located by the UConn people. So it seems to me that UConn never tried to duck ND (but couldn't fit ND into their schedule once the AAC was formed) but that ND most certainly did not decline an opportunity to play UConn.
I'm definitely not forgetting the controversy no more than I am forgetting the reminder to a good Catholic Girl not to fib especially during Lent. We will have to agree to disagree on who backed away from who. The regular season game did not happen.

Reaction Score
I'm glad, actually. There are very few teams who play a dirtier version of grab, slap and pull than the Syracuse women. Honestly, I'd be worried about injuries to our kids. The UCONN players were so pissed off at Syracuse's antics that Geno asked the players what they wanted to do. All of them said "leave the starters in till the end" and Maya (sophomore) buried them with 30 points in 3 pointers on her way to scoring 40.

Here's an article on the game I just referenced. That was the same game where one of the Orange players appeared to try to kick Geno in the hand-shake line.

Moore delivers knockout punch

Maybe Syracuse's problem is they just don't like UCONN, but I have no idea why they'd reject the game. I'm fine playing Colgate.
Eric - thanks for those past articles/clips. Finding and sharing those great articles/clips are not my strong point so I appreciate them immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom