Uconn/Syracuse | The Boneyard

Uconn/Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it true Syracuse women have declined to play defending national champion Uconn which features Syracuse native Breanna Stewart, but have scheduled games in Austria, Czech Republic and Slovakia?

Reaction Score
if they lose, those three games will not be listed in the W/L record.
if they win, they can boast to have defeated a few national teams.
But you know what will happen if they play Uconn.

Reaction Score
Its amazing how they will deny themselves a nationally televised game and selling 4x the tickets they normally do just so they can be mean to a local player that choose UConn over them. Boeheim is not the only thing wrong with that athletic department.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Its amazing how they will deny themselves a nationally televised game and selling 4x the tickets they normally do just so they can be mean to a local player that choose UConn over them. Boeheim is not the only thing wrong with that athletic department.
makes me more proud than ever to be a Colgate grad!

Reaction Score
What does Syracuse have to gain by another 25 point or more loss to Uconn? They can't compete and it won't (probably) help their recruiting.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Even with a loss Breanna Stewart returning home would provide Syracuse's WBB team massive publicity in the local area. More so for this one game if played then they would for the entire season. Play a close game against UConn, who knows how many of those in attendance would decide to go to additional games. How many recruits would get to see Syracuse play a Nationally Televised game? IMHO Lost opportunity for Q and his team.

What does Syracuse have to gain by another 25 point or more loss to Uconn? They can't compete and it won't (probably) help their recruiting.

Reaction Score
Fear is a terrible thing and a lot of WCBB has this fear about playing UCONN..........Its OK

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Playing UConn could do wonders for Q's image. He graciously does the homecoming game for the local girl. Gives him interviews where he can say his program is on he rise and would have risen even faster with Stewart....Makes him look like a nice guy....I think the game has more upside than downside.

Reaction Score
Whats one more loss to syracuse anyway? Its not like they have a shot of going undefeated, or winning any sort of championship.

Reaction Score
The off season international tour Syracuse will embark upon is similar to trips UConn has taken in the past. There may have been others, but for sure, UConn went to Italy in 1994 and in 2006. If I am not mistaken, a team is allowed to do this every five years. There was a time when incoming(dare I say rising:p) freshmen were not allowed on such trips. I believe that has changed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that another ACC school is backing away from playing UCONN. ND backed away upon joining that conference & Duke recently opted out. FSU bucked the trend and is agreed to play us but the ACC has nothing to gain by playing UCONN.

Reaction Score
Whats one more loss to syracuse anyway? Its not like they have a shot of going undefeated, or winning any sort of championship.
A very poor decision by Syracuse on so many levels to reject Uconn game.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's true, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me given that it's Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I certain do not care what the heck Syracuse does..... but as I have said before on my Orange commentary...... their men's program has always been famous for being homers.... do not venture out of their own arena until after New Years Day...... unless it is the odd game to play Lotola of Syracuse or St John Fisher....... In my opinion this is a reason why Boeheim's teams were ill equipped for the big competition...... they start 20-0 and then run into some buzzsaw in middle of season and are not battle tested ...... except for the November epic struggles with SUNY - Binghamton at the Carrier Dome......

it seems Q may be reading from the same book..... again, in my opinion, a UConn Syracuse game with the B Stewart appeal would do a lot of good for Syracuse program even though it would be a loss (though a 20 pt loss I think and not of the 40 point variety)...... as example look what the 20 point Dayton loss did for Dayton visibility..... everybody is still talking about them..... Boeheim has 1 NC to show for his 40 years..... and though this is not the only reason for Syracuse flash in the pan syndrome each year..... it is nonetheless indicative of the problems there.....

If you wait until all the lights are green before you leave for town, you will never get out of the driveway.

And Good Move Colgate to schedule the game...... I hate the word "classy" it is overused..... but simply stated a smart decision by a forward minded AD and coach from Hamilton.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Good publicity for allowing Breanna to play a home game in front of friends and relatives, goodwill with the Olympic coach Geno and the healing of old wounds, national TV exposure, increased revenue from ticket sales and an appearance fee for playing a return game at Gampel/HCC.

Reaction Score
and an appearance fee for playing a return game at Gampel/HCC.

I remember reading about something like this in John Feinstein's book about the Patriot League. I think he called it 'guarantee games'. Syracuse would be guaranteed to make money but also guaranteed to lose.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm glad, actually. There are very few teams who play a dirtier version of grab, slap and pull than the Syracuse women. Honestly, I'd be worried about injuries to our kids. The UCONN players were so pissed off at Syracuse's antics that Geno asked the players what they wanted to do. All of them said "leave the starters in till the end" and Maya (sophomore) buried them with 30 points in 3 pointers on her way to scoring 40.

Here's an article on the game I just referenced. That was the same game where one of the Orange players appeared to try to kick Geno in the hand-shake line.

Moore delivers knockout punch

Maybe Syracuse's problem is they just don't like UCONN, but I have no idea why they'd reject the game. I'm fine playing Colgate.

Reaction Score
I loved it when Jen and The Hawks beat Q and the Orange in the NCAA Tournament game some years ago. Q got T'ed up which let Heartford take over the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom