Men - UConn Summer Baseball 2023 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Summer Baseball 2023

Reaction Score
Well, we'll see what happens. If I recall correctly, at the beginning of the last UConn season, Quinn was one of the pitchers who had been stretched out for possible use as a starter, which would help to explain his use as a starting pitcher for Danbury this summer season. That plus I've had the idea that the coaching staff always thought pretty high of Quinn's potential. Hopefully this summer has been a big jumping off point for him in his development.
the more quality arms the better. Stephen Quigley is the only one I would consider to be a lock for a starting job next year. Cooke if healthy (freshman Cooke) would be the other. Coe, Quinn,Ellisen,Sullivan,Alejandro (if healthy) all can fight for the other 2 or 3. Afthim closing with M. Quigley Abbadessa, Carrea out of the pen. Could be a deep staff. 3 transfer arms and 6 freshman to sort thru too.

Reaction Score
The Mystic Schooners season ended last night, losing in the first round of the NECBL playoffs. Drew Kron played with Mystic this season, he has now joined Yarmouth of the Cape Cod League.

Reaction Score

Connor played for the Norwich Sea Unicorns last season, always good to see a player with a UConn baseball connection play well. Got time on the mound as well as being a position player.

Reaction Score
The summer baseball team Nashua of the Futures League has listed on their roster a player named George Welch, a senior LHP. The roster lists his college team UConn. From what I can tell Welch has been playing for Southern New Hampshire University, and Welch's twitter page says that he is in the transfer portal, so it would seem Welch has just transferred to UConn. The Nashua roster so far is the only place I have found this mention of Welch and UConn.

There have been occasions in the past where a collegiate summer baseball team has first listed a player as transferring to another school.

George Welch has had a pretty nice summer pitching for Nashua, even though he did not pitch for most of July, guessing that he may have been injured. At any rate, he has appeared in 8 games, thrown 12 innings, and has not given up an earned run. He has 17 strikeouts and has given up 4 walks and 7 hits.

Reaction Score
Incoming UConn freshman Sean Finn pitches the last 2 innings for Norwich in their 3-2 victory over New Britain in their first playoff game. Finn gets the save.

Reaction Score
Incoming UConn freshman Sean Finn pitches the last 2 innings for Norwich in their 3-2 victory over New Britain in their first playoff game. Finn gets the save.

I was at this game yesterday.

Sean Finn has been with Norwich for a brief time, having joined the team in late July. He has pitched in 3 games and 7 innings so far, and has not given up any runs or any hits so far. He has walked 5 batters and has 8 strikeouts so far pitching for Norwich.

Reaction Score

Niko Brini hit .276 in 98 at bats for Newport this summer.

Reaction Score

Matt Malcom hit a 3 run homer to help put the game away. Dodd Stadium is not an easy place to hit home runs as it is a big ballpark, but Malcom certainly gave his homer a good ride. While the game was still close, Sean Finn came in from the bullpen to pitch 2.2 innings of scoreless ball.

Reaction Score
Norwich Sea Unicorns just won the Futures League championship.

Reaction Score

Incoming UConn players Matt Malcom, Tyler Minick, and Sean Finn all joined the Sea Unicorns late in this summer season.

Reaction Score
Malcom hit safely in 5 of 6 games including a home run in a playoff game

I was at the playoff game where he hit the 3 run homer. Sean Finn pitch in relief in some games down the stretch, and did very well.

Reaction Score

Starting with Korey Morton during the 2021 summer season, the Sea Unicorns have had a number of UConn connected people over the 3 years that Norwich has been in the Futures League, both players and coaches. Certainly hope that connection continues in the future.

The Sea Unicorns also have had on their roster a number of former UConn players who have transferred to other college teams. I find it fun and interesting to follow those guys as well.

The Sea Unicorns also have a connection to Eastern Connecticut State University, not only with players on the roster each year but with their coaching staff as well.

Reaction Score
I was at the playoff game where he hit the 3 run homer. Sean Finn pitch in relief in some games down the stretch, and did very well.
dbmill - how did Malcom look with the eye test (at the plate and behind the plate)? Appears that he can be an immediate contributor next season and I'm looking forward to seeing him during the fall. It's a position they need to upgrade. Thanks

Reaction Score
dbmill - how did Malcom look with the eye test (at the plate and behind the plate)? Appears that he can be an immediate contributor next season and I'm looking forward to seeing him during the fall. It's a position they need to upgrade. Thanks

One thing to remember about the Futures League is that in the totem pole of collegiate summer baseball leagues in New England, it ranks below the Cape Cod League and the NECBL. I think of it as an entry level summer league, as there are usually a few incoming college players who just completed their final year of high school ball, as well as having a goodly number of college players who play for schools that are not in D1. For instance, Norwich had several players on the roster this season from ECSU.

Still, I have to say it wouldn't surprise me if Matt Malcom ends up making some very nice contributions to the team when he starts playing for UConn. He played in 6 games for Norwich, looked fine at the plate on offense, and stole a couple bases in his time in Norwich as well. I'm thinking it will be an interesting competition for playing time at catcher between him and Garbowski during the fall ball season.

Reaction Score
Review:

No mention of the UConn players who were on the Norwich Sea Unicorns who one the Futures League championship. Of course, the article mentions that there were 19 UConn baseball players who played summer ball this year. Don't know if this includes incoming UConn baseball recruits who were not on the UConn roster this past spring, I'm guessing that their mention of 19 UConn players does not include incoming UConn recruits such as Matt Malcom, Sean Finn, and Tyler Minick who played for Norwich. There were a number of incoming UConn recruits joining the team this fall who did play in collegiate summer ball leagues this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom