UConn Showing Interest in Canadian Guard ('14) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Showing Interest in Canadian Guard ('14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'll say it again, really?

It would be bizarre, to say the least, that they didn't mean Uconn specifically and not as an example.
Not at all. We know that players sometimes toss in interest in UCONN to raise their stock.

Reaction Score
She, also, has shared that her feelings have changed during recovery realizing that basketball was what she missed more.
I've read that article, but she still has that option on the table. Wouldn't blame Geno for covering bases...especially if Kia Nurse is as talented as they say. Of course, this is all based on the presumption that the article is correct about UConn's interest. Anymore on Monique Billings or Kathryn Westbeld? Jatarie White, Alyssa Rice or Khaalia Hillsman?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dang ding ding. Missing a comma before the word "like" could have been the issue.

The writer used the the word "like" as a preposition to mean "such as." Perhaps he should have used the words "such as" or the word "including." Perhaps this exercise is just as you said: bizarre.

I've been following this kid a little since April. There's nothing about her that would suggest a need to boost her stock by name-dropping UConn. Her stock has taken off based on her play on the court this summer. She's 17 years old and played for the Canadian National Team. It's August and she intends to make a decision and sign with a school in November. We'll know soon enough.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that Geno is preparing for Gabby Williams' absence for the 2016 Olympics? She was very adamant about going to Rio...

If she played for UConn, she'd still play for Canada in the Olympics. That should be our next goal - have every UConn player make the Olympics. Just need to recruit more international players and blitz (or perhaps Berlitz) the Olympics .

Reaction Score
UC CAT: appreciated your Blue Star stuff...very interesting to me.

ICE: very reassuring post, as I have long feared I was the only yarder with paranoid tendencies. :eek: (Did you happen to catch the ESPN special on The Nits tonight? Terrific. I have two years of eligibility left, and it made me want to suit up. One of my mountain cuzins thinks it will be an ongoing series about Penn State....any take on that??)

There is nothing in the article that out and out says UCONN is interested. It is top schools like UCONN so I want to know a lot more about UCONN's supposed interest. "caught the attention of heavyweight NCAA programs like the University of Connecticut."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Dang ding ding. Missing a comma before the word "like" could have been the issue.
And the proper use of the word "like" would have helped, too. But then ain't no one who uses good English no more.

But what I have now said twice is simply I 'd like more info before I hang my hat on her recruitment. Good news is she won't think Storrs is cold.

Reaction Score
If we see her on first night,there is a good chance that the the like UConn becomes and UConn.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There's no suggestion that UConn's reported interest in Nurse would preclude them from signing a needed post player or two. If UConn was prepared to sign Sierra Calhoun then why wouldn't the staff sign Kia Nurse. She's 6-foot and can play positions 1-3. This is what was written about her play by Blue Star at the USJN in July:

It’s not often you see the college crowd grow in size for an already well known prospect over the course of a single event but that’s just what happened each time Canada Drive and combo 2014 guard Kia Nurse took the floor in D.C. At 6-0, the Hamilton, Ontario native is skilled, knowledgeable and more so than anything…productive. Her ability to create is not limited just to shots nor is it on display only in halfcourt play. From makes, misses and turnovers she’s pushing the ball with vision and court concepts that few on the high school level can call upon. The ball skills are sharp and the acceleration is exceptional on any move that she might make. Nurse navigates traffic like a D.C. cab driver and can score at the rim or adeptly pull up anywhere from the 5 to 10 foot range on a dime. Additionally, her relentless attack often leads to simple opportunities for her or her teammates when opponents make the mistake of relaxing even for a second. She’s very active on the defensive end and anticipates in a manner that says she’s been well coached. Easily one of the premier performers of this event or any other this summer.

Who knows what the level of interest is from UConn and Nurse. UConn is late to the party but it sounds like it's not alone. If there is interest on her part the staff would be crazy not to pursue her, particularly so if based on the likelihood that they can convince Asia Durr to leave the South next year. Coaches don't pass on players like this.
Bluestar huh? The same Bluestar that has her rated at #97? And from Bluestar's description, you have provided, she's a combo guard (1/2), not a 1-3. Calhoun was primarily a Wing (3), who could play the 2 some. Not really the same player.

We already have two 1/2 players coming in Edwards and Williams, and a 2/3 in Ekmark. Another 1/2 is not really needed. And probably not a #97 rated 1/2. (granted she might move up the ratings when they are updated next)

If Geno and UCONN want her, great! But I just don't see it.

Reaction Score
What does "showing interest" mean specifically? What is the level of interest? A Uconn assistant coach viewing a game? Contact with her coach or with her? I would assume if she were offered a scholarship, that would have been mentioned in the article.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Yes, I am saying that is a possibility without having any further confirmation and more proper grammatically, too.

There's nothing grammatically improper about the sentence in question. Wish I could say the same for yours.....!

:p

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There's nothing grammatically improper about the sentence in question. Wish I could say the same for yours.....!

:p

See Cat's post she understands the grammatical issue with the sentence.

Difference being this is a bulletin board and a culture of oral speech and sentence fragments and that was a piece of reporting in a newspaper where style codes and editors should catch the problem.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
See Cat's post she understands the grammatical issue with the sentence.

Difference being this is a bulletin board and a culture of oral speech and sentence fragments and that was a piece of reporting in a newspaper where style codes and editors should catch the problem.

I read Cat's post, I read the article and I say again: there is nothing grammatically improper about the sentence in question.

Perhaps, as Cat mentioned, the writer might have used 'such as' instead of 'like,' but the usage of the word 'like' in this context is not at all unusual, let alone incorrect. There is no grammatical issue or problem with the sentence. At all. And it's not lousy writing. It's simply not as declarative as you would like it to be.

Show that sentence to one hundred well-educated readers and ninety-nine of them will tell you that Kia Nurse has caught the attention of the University of Connecticut, even without the preceding comma. (The hundredth reader is still engaged in a bizarre and pedantic exercise.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I read Cat's post, I read the article and I say again: there is nothing grammatically improper about the sentence in question.

Perhaps, as Cat mentioned, the writer might have used 'such as' instead of 'like,' but the usage of the word 'like' in this context is not at all unusual, let alone incorrect. There is no grammatical issue or problem with the sentence. At all. And it's not lousy writing. It's simply not as declarative as you would like it to be.

Show that sentence to one hundred well-educated readers and ninety-nine of them will tell you that Kia Nurse has caught the attention of the University of Connecticut, even without the preceding comma. (The hundredth reader is still engaged in a bizarre and pedantic exercise.)

A pedantic exercise known as proper usage. Grammar is more than punctuation, it includes proper word usage. As I said the editors job to clean it up. It does not pass the New York Times Style Manual.

I suggest googling "use of like."

Grammar as defined:
Noun
  1. The whole system and structure of a language or of languages in general, usually taken as consisting of syntax and morphology (including...
  2. A particular analysis of the system and structure of language or of a specific language.

Reaction Score
ASGR has her top 50.
Also BlueStar recently made reference to needing to compile all its summer notes and update the ratings. So changes may be a-coming.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
"like" is one of the most (grammatically) misused words in the English language. In addition to it's grammatical misuse, it has also partially replaced the word/sound "um" in general conversation....

"it is like you know like totally awesome"

Good grief

Dislike :eek:

Reaction Score
A pedantic exercise known as proper usage. Grammar is more than punctuation, it includes proper word usage. As I said the editors job to clean it up. It does not pass the New York Times Style Manual.

I suggest googling "use of like."

Grammar as defined:
Noun

1. [ ]The whole system and structure of a language or of languages in general, usually taken as consisting of syntax and morphology (including...
    [ ]A particular analysis of the system and structure of language or of a specific language.

images

Reaction Score
She has offers from schools including Nebraska and North Carolina State. Probably offers from other Big10 schools also.

Reaction Score
"like" is one of the most (grammatically) misused words in the English language. In addition to it's grammatical misuse, it has also partially replaced the word/sound "um" in general conversation....

"it is like you know like totally awesome"

Good grief

Dislike :eek:

like and love,like i love my frosted flakes

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
ASGR has her top 50.
Also BlueStar recently made reference to needing to compile all its summer notes and update the ratings. So changes may be a-coming.
Give vowelguy a star! While Kia Nurse was ranked 95th on Blue Star a few days ago, today she is ranked 10th! That's quite a jump and it supports the idea that Geno is actually recruiting her as opposed to Ms. Nurse simply listing UConn as interested to boost her own stock. Seems like UConnCat deserves a star as well.

Reaction Score
Bluestar huh? The same Bluestar that has her rated at #97? And from Bluestar's description, you have provided, she's a combo guard (1/2), not a 1-3. Calhoun was primarily a Wing (3), who could play the 2 some. Not really the same player.

We already have two 1/2 players coming in Edwards and Williams, and a 2/3 in Ekmark. Another 1/2 is not really needed. And probably not a #97 rated 1/2. (granted she might move up the ratings when they are updated next)

If Geno and UCONN want her, great! But I just don't see it.

"I see it" definitely if she is 6 foot. If someone is 6 foot and appears to have very good athleticism, no reason why they can't defend the small forward position. If she is 6 foot and Gneo is recruitiing her, I suspect she is also a 3.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She has offers from schools including Nebraska and North Carolina State. Probably offers from other Big10 schools also.

Ohio State is reportedly interested in Nurse, as are Indiana, Michigan, Tennessee and Kentucky.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The OSU has an excellent nursing school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom