UConn Showing Interest in Canadian Guard ('14) | The Boneyard

UConn Showing Interest in Canadian Guard ('14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Her name is Kia Nurse and she's from Hamilton, Ontario (a mere 7-hour drive from Storrs). She is class of 2014 and played exceptionally well in AAU tournaments this summer and also plays for the Canadian National Team. I actually mentioned her name in a comment to one of the Horde 3 months ago hoping that UConn would show interest but assumed there was none as I hadn't heard her name mentioned. The linked article mentions late interest from UConn.

I know, she's not a post player. But, she's really good and Canada is beginning to produce some good basketball talent, including big kids. She comes from good stock as both parents were athletes, her brother was just drafted by the Edmonton Oilers, her sister played basketball at Oregon and her aunt Raquel Nurse played basketball at Syracuse and married the school's quaterback, Donovan McNabb.

She wants to be an Olympian.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Darnell only talented Nurse town/8780710/story.html

Nurse still has her senior year at St. Thomas More high school in Hamilton to complete. Her college decision only got muddled this summer as she climbed the basketball ladder and caught the attention of heavyweight NCAA programs like the University of Connecticut.

“(NCAA interest) has jumped,” Kia said. “I’ve gotten some really big-name schools (expressing interest) now, but at the same time, it’s really important to keep it in check and make sure that Lisa talks with the coaches to make sure they’re OK with me playing for the national team and that I can get out for summers, do all the (national) team stuff, and not be pressured to stay.

“I have goals to be involved with this team as an Olympian.”

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There's no suggestion that UConn's reported interest in Nurse would preclude them from signing a needed post player or two. If UConn was prepared to sign Sierra Calhoun then why wouldn't the staff sign Kia Nurse. She's 6-foot and can play positions 1-3. This is what was written about her play by Blue Star at the USJN in July:

It’s not often you see the college crowd grow in size for an already well known prospect over the course of a single event but that’s just what happened each time Canada Drive and combo 2014 guard Kia Nurse took the floor in D.C. At 6-0, the Hamilton, Ontario native is skilled, knowledgeable and more so than anything…productive. Her ability to create is not limited just to shots nor is it on display only in halfcourt play. From makes, misses and turnovers she’s pushing the ball with vision and court concepts that few on the high school level can call upon. The ball skills are sharp and the acceleration is exceptional on any move that she might make. Nurse navigates traffic like a D.C. cab driver and can score at the rim or adeptly pull up anywhere from the 5 to 10 foot range on a dime. Additionally, her relentless attack often leads to simple opportunities for her or her teammates when opponents make the mistake of relaxing even for a second. She’s very active on the defensive end and anticipates in a manner that says she’s been well coached. Easily one of the premier performers of this event or any other this summer.

Who knows what the level of interest is from UConn and Nurse. UConn is late to the party but it sounds like it's not alone. If there is interest on her part the staff would be crazy not to pursue her, particularly so if based on the likelihood that they can convince Asia Durr to leave the South next year. Coaches don't pass on players like this.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is nothing in the article that out and out says UCONN is interested. It is top schools like UCONN so I want to know a lot more about UCONN's supposed interest. "caught the attention of heavyweight NCAA programs like the University of Connecticut."

There's no suggestion that UConn's reported interest in Nurse would preclude them from signing a needed post player or two.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
There's no suggestion that UConn's reported interest in Nurse would preclude them from signing a needed post player or two. If UConn was prepared to sign Sierra Calhoun then why wouldn't the staff sign Kia Nurse. She's 6-foot and can play positions 1-3. This is what was written about her play by Blue Star at the USJN in July:

It’s not often you see the college crowd grow in size for an already well known prospect over the course of a single event but that’s just what happened each time Canada Drive and combo 2014 guard Kia Nurse took the floor in D.C. At 6-0, the Hamilton, Ontario native is skilled, knowledgeable and more so than anything…productive. Her ability to create is not limited just to shots nor is it on display only in halfcourt play. From makes, misses and turnovers she’s pushing the ball with vision and court concepts that few on the high school level can call upon. The ball skills are sharp and the acceleration is exceptional on any move that she might make. Nurse navigates traffic like a D.C. cab driver and can score at the rim or adeptly pull up anywhere from the 5 to 10 foot range on a dime. Additionally, her relentless attack often leads to simple opportunities for her or her teammates when opponents make the mistake of relaxing even for a second. She’s very active on the defensive end and anticipates in a manner that says she’s been well coached. Easily one of the premier performers of this event or any other this summer.
Apparently since that analysis was written in July 2013 by Blue Star, poor Ms. Nurse has shrunk, as the article you provided (8/13/2013) lists her as 5'8"! Wouldn't it be sweet if we actually received accurate height data? Whether it's because the women are actually growing and reports sometimes use old data (which accounts for some of the variance in heights reported), or because the coaches are exaggerating their height (which also happens), it is difficult to know what numbers to believe. But hey, it provides endless fodder on sites like the Boneyard.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There is nothing in the article that out and out says UCONN is interested. It is top schools like UCONN so I want to know a lot more about UCONN's supposed interest. "caught the attention of heavyweight NCAA programs like the University of Connecticut."

Are you suggesting the writer used the word "like" to mean similar to rather than including?

I agree we need to know more about UConn's reported interest but it's not as if that's something the coaches announce. We often learn of interest from recruits, e.g. Lynee Belton. We'll have to wait and see what this means.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Apparently since that analysis was written in July 2013 by Blue Star, poor Ms. Nurse has shrunk, as the article you provided (8/13/2013) lists her as 5'8"! Wouldn't it be sweet if we actually received accurate height data? Whether it's because the women are actually growing and reports sometimes use old data (which accounts for some of the variance in heights reported), or because the coaches are exaggerating their height (which also happens), it is difficult to know what numbers to believe. But hey, it provides endless fodder on sites like the Boneyard.

Oh brother. Her profile at Team Canada's home page lists her at 6-0. I'll go with that.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Really? You think they just used Uconn as an example of a heavyweight program?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, as we have repeatedly seen, girls that age think nothing of growing or shrinking by several inches in amazingly short periods of time. I personally prefer players you can count on, like Maria who started short and stayed short.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Well, as we have repeatedly seen, girls that age think nothing of growing or shrinking by several inches in amazingly short periods of time. I personally prefer players you can count on, like Maria who started short and stayed short.

and, slow: consistently, reliably, and (very successfully) slow;)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm inclined to wish every recruit Geno offers commits to Uconn no matter the need.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting the writer used the word "like" to mean similar to rather than including?

I agree we need to know more about UConn's reported interest but it's not as if that's something the coaches announce. We often learn of interest from recruits, e.g. Lynee Belton. We'll have to wait and see what this means.

Yes, I am saying that is a possibility without us having any further confirmation and is more proper grammatically, too.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Really? You think they just used Uconn as an example of a heavyweight program?
Wouldn't be the first time UCONN has been used as such an example.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that Geno is preparing for Gabby Williams' absence for the 2016 Olympics? She was very adamant about going to Rio...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wouldn't be the first time UCONN has been used as such an example.
I'll say it again, really?

It would be bizarre, to say the least, that they didn't mean Uconn specifically and not as an example.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Is it possible that Geno is preparing for Gabby Williams' absence for the 2016 Olympics? She was very adamant about going to Rio...
She, also, has shared that her feelings have changed during recovery realizing that basketball was what she missed more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom