UConn roster is up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn roster is up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This team is very young. A good sign seeing Jamar Summers on the two deep as a true frosh. He's ahead of some pretty good guys.

We really need to hope that Rugg, Hopkins and Knappe can develop and play quickly to have any hope for success this season.

On defense the big question for me is at LB. Vann and Ashiru are the only known commodities. We need kids like Stapleton, Hicks, etc. to really step up. I don't see our next great backer yet.

Reaction Score
This team is very young. A good sign seeing Jamar Summers on the two deep as a true frosh. He's ahead of some pretty good guys.

We really need to hope that Rugg, Hopkins and Knappe can develop and play quickly to have any hope for success this season.

On defense the big question for me is at LB. Vann and Ashiru are the only known commodities. We need kids like Stapleton, Hicks, etc. to really step up. I don't see our next great backer yet.

The are 15 LBs on the squad, there is plenty their to work with.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Graham Stewart. He's in great shape and could excel this season.

I hope you are right, but his play last season was simply awful. I have to believe he is going to get really pushed from some of the younger guys.

Reaction Score
I hope you are right, but his play last season was simply awful. I have to believe he is going to get really pushed from some of the younger guys.

Yep, we have to hope with another year experience he will be better. Because there is nothing from last season that shows he will be a great linebacker.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Graham Stewart. He's in great shape and could excel this season.

HCBD agrees:

"“Our system that we’ve built facilitates one of those players [on the outside] being that guy that can do both jobs [defensive end and outside linebacker] that’s why we don’t have to sub to get out of defenses that look like sub defenses,” Diaco said. “Graham [Stewart] will even afford more opportunity on this. He’s not necessarily, for us, the prototypical outside backer. He plays longer and bigger because he’s strong and powerful and tough and rugged but he moves as quick and with change of direction as a safety…for me to minimize the fact you need to be able to see and move and fundamentally do your work from a two-point [stance] and also a three-point to say that’s just nothing no that’s definitely something.”

Reaction Score
Wow I really liked what I saw on his film.Good to great footwork, instincts.....Hits hard....Great special teamer.....

The old regime at Storrs missed RB Ervin Philips ranked 7th best player in Connecticut last year, from the same West Haven class as Nyrell. Coach said Philips was the best running back he'd had in his 30+ year career.

Where did he go? Syracuse.

Reaction Score
The old regime at Storrs missed RB Ervin Philips ranked 7th best player in Connecticut last year, from the same West Haven class as Nyrell. Coach said Philips was the best running back he'd had in his 30+ year career.

They didn't miss him... They knew where he was. It was Arkeel or Erv - not both.

Think we did pretty well last year w/ RB offers/commits.

Reaction Score

Did we even try to recruit him? Maybe he couldn't meet the higher academic standards at UConn. :)

Reaction Score
Glad to see the numbers on the roster. Helped me identify folks in the practice pictures.

I hope Arkeel gets to play some at least on special teams. If you see something that looks like 222222..... 2222222..... Heading for the end zone, that was him!

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller: >>There were some more attrition on the roster as walk-ons Tim Adanti of Derby, Carlos Martinez of Stamford and Kyle Zielinski of Shelton have been removed from the roster.<<

@JohnFSilver: Position change for Bruce McAllister. He has been moved to corner.

@JohnFSilver: McAllister's skill set is that of a natural corner per Diaco. Newsome and Johnson are backs

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller: >>There were some more attrition on the roster as walk-ons Tim Adanti of Derby, Carlos Martinez of Stamford and Kyle Zielinski of Shelton have been removed from the roster.<<

@JohnFSilver: Position change for Bruce McAllister. He has been moved to corner.

@JohnFSilver: McAllister's skill set is that of a natural corner per Diaco. Newsome and Johnson are backs

Wow! That's a big move. Well, if I recall Brice's measurements, he's at about 6'1"? If he's got the tools and the desire, he'll probably make for a very nice corner...

Reaction Score

Seen him. We just moved a better back to corner.

Reaction Score
More roster changes... http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/08/db-tyree-clark-no-longer-member-of.html

>>DB Tyree Clark no longer member of UConn squad. Reserve defensive back Tyree Clark, who had 15 tackles as a sophomore including eight in making his lone start against Temple, is no longer a part of the UConn squad.

Clark was among the candidates to push either for time at cornerback or as the nickel corner but freshman Jamar Summers (who saw some first-team action during yesterday's practice) and sophomore Javon Hadley were listed as the backup corners on the depth chart behind starters Byron Jones and Jhavon Williams.

Walk-on Dan Carbonaro, an offensive lineman from Oxford, is also no longer with the team and as is the case with Clark, he was removed from the roster.

UConn made the move of freshman Brice McAlister to defense official as he is now listed as a cornerback after coming in as a running back.<<

Reaction Score
Was Jalen Stevens always supposed to be a LB, I thought he was recruited to play DL?

Reaction Score
Was Jalen Stevens always supposed to be a LB, I thought he was recruited to play DL?

He was recruited by the prior regime as a pass rushing DE.

But we need more LB's than DE's in the 3-4 and his weight (218 lbs?) doesn't translate to a 3-4 DE.

Reaction Score
He was recruited by the prior regime as a pass rushing DE.

But we need more LB's than DE's in the 3-4 and his weight (218 lbs?) doesn't translate to a 3-4 DE.

I don't buy that weight one bit... The only thing that was updated on the official website were jersey numbers and maybe height... The weights seem off for a few of those guys...

Reaction Score
Clark may have seen the new staff's preference for tall DBs and figured his playing days were over here. And now we know why we are recruiting so many DBs (and TEs)

Carbonaro surprises me only in that I thought we heard some positive news of him earlier - maybe Im confusing him w/another walk on OL.

I really hope Stevens is still not weighing in at 218, not after 2 years. I would presume he would be better a fit in a 3-4. He is certainly one I want to see progress.

Reaction Score
I don't buy that weight one bit... The only thing that was updated on the official website were jersey numbers and maybe height... The weights seem off for a few of those guys...

If he weighed 240 that still wouldn't be enough for the 3-4.

Reaction Score
If he weighed 240 that still wouldn't be enough for the 3-4.

Since we're running a hybrid of both this season he probably could at 240lbs... We're not playing a bunch of P5 conference teams either, so, depending on how his development is coming along, if good, I hope, we'd see him coming off the edge in 3rd and long passing situations at the very least.

Reaction Score
Since we're running a hybrid of both this season he probably could at 240lbs... We're not playing a bunch of P5 conference teams either, so, depending on how his development is coming along, if good, I hope, we'd see him coming off the edge in 3rd and long passing situations at the very least.
Not as a 3-4 DE...240 is WAY too light. As a 3-4 OLB..240 is right on target. Remember in a 3-4 the DE is really playing down on the tackle and the OLB on the outside up near or on the line of scrimmage

Reaction Score
it wouldn't be enough weight if his hand was on the ground; i am under impression he is not playing DE, but OLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom