UConn roster - 2024 and beyond ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn roster - 2024 and beyond ...

Reaction Score
I have to think the starting line up will be fluid next year with so many good players and the injured players all on different timelines.

I think Jana could be playing now medically but didn't want to burn a year. I think she is the real deal so she gets the start along with Ice, Shade, KK, and Paige.

I feel like Ice will work hard in the offseason but will be on a short leash with Strong chomping at the bit. Strong though has to learn the offense, play defense, and get into UConn shape. .. I don't think Strong starts day one but not sure Ice has the mental fortitude to hold her spot even though she has the skill.

I think Azzi will work her way into the starting line up as she gets through rehab but she just had surgery. Shade will probably end up giving up the spot to her since I think KK gives a look that none of the other guards can do.

And gosh, I think the other 6 players with great talent will just be fighting for minutes and it could come down to who has the hot hand or be the right match up for a certain opponent. Foul trouble. With all the injuries over the past few years, we need the insurance and who knows who could get thrown in the fire early.

Reaction Score
Depth Chart If everyone is healthy):
C: Jana, Ice, Amari
PF: Strong, Ice, Yanna, CD, Morgan
SF: Paige, Aubrey, Strong, Q, CD, Morgan
SG: Azzi, Ash, Allie
PG: KK, Paige, Morgan, Ines
I like the C line in particular. A lot of depth there, which could mean Amari can’t crack the lineup. Or it might mean she gets more minutes because there’s less pressure on this position, especially with how many great perimeter shooters we’ll have. I’ll admit this is a long shot. But it would be interesting if it turned out this way.

Reaction Score
My guess is Paige Azzi Sarah Aubrey Ice. As starters. I have no idea how good Jana might be hopefully she and ice can battle it out or split time. I would think Geno will be very careful with Azzi so plenty of time for Shade and other guards.sure he will want Paige playing off the ball at times so plenty of time for KK too. Of course much of this is dependent on how people are recovering or have recovered from injuries. In fact AG may not even be ready at start of the year. Potentially a team that can compete with anyone.

Reaction Score
I think people are underestimating what just happened with Sarah Strong’s commitment! I believe she will start from day one and the reason I believe this is because I think she is a generational talent in the same vein as Page, Stewie, Maya, and Dee! Now I’m not saying she’s as good as those players but I do think she will be an AA player for us and that her talents will be similarly impactful for this team! I see her as the afterburner for this team, that turns us from very good, to almost unbeatable! I realize comparing a recruit to those icons is a bit much but again, not saying she’s as good as them, merely that her impact on this team will be similar!

If this roster can finally get healthy and stay that way for a couple or three years, we have a chance to be as good as we’ve ever been! Does that mean multiple undefeated seasons? I think that’s pretty doubtful to ever happen again as the talent level has exploded across the country. However, I do think we have a chance to revisit the dominance that typified this UConn program in the 2010s! Strong is the real deal and I’m willing to bet she shows up in the best shape of her life! She and Paige are going to be something to see next year! (And the rest of the roster ain’t bad either.:))

Reaction Score
The Huskies will have 7, top 5 rated players in their class (as per ESPN), on the roster for the 2024/25 season. And KK was #6 in her class.

Reaction Score
I think people are underestimating what just happened with Sarah Strong’s commitment! I believe she will start from day one and the reason I believe this is because I think she is a generational talent in the same vein as Page, Stewie, Maya, and Dee! Now I’m not saying she’s as good as those players but I do think she will be an AA player for us and that her talents will be similarly impactful for this team! I see her as the afterburner for this team, that turns us from very good, to almost unbeatable! I realize comparing a recruit to those icons is a bit much but again, not saying she’s as good as them, merely that her impact on this team will be similar!

If this roster can finally get healthy and stay that way for a couple or three years, we have a chance to be as good as we’ve ever been! Does that mean multiple undefeated seasons? I think that’s pretty doubtful to ever happen again as the talent level has exploded across the country. However, I do think we have a chance to revisit the dominance that typified this UConn program in the 2010s! Strong is the real deal and I’m willing to bet she shows up in the best shape of her life! She and Paige are going to be something to see next year! (And the rest of the roster ain’t bad either.:))
I agree about everything except that people are underestimating Sarah. The only question we might still have concerns stamina, but the espn article suggests this is not going to be a problem. One of the reasons she chose UConn — among several — is that Geno and Jamelle told her she needed to get in better shape. She seems like the kind of kid to take that sort of advice to heart.

I also think she’ll be a Paige-level talent and will lead this team on a tear for 4 years. And Geno has begun the process of building an incredible group of players around her. Paige Azzi and Caroline for next year, of course. Morgan and Allie and Jana will be with her to the end. Ice and Ayanna and Ash and KK and Q for the next three years. Kelis and Gandy (and maybe Lara?) for a different three years. And maybe even the Big O (fingers crossed!) for a couple years.

Reaction Score
Geno will have an over-abundance of riches next season. Staley gave 9 players minutes against NC State. Geno will have 13 realistic contributors. I'd love to see UConn come at teams with waves of players and wear them down physically with aggressive play. Not sure Geno is comfortable playing a full roster.
I think we have 11 players in the rotation and maybe if one of the others shows great strides a 12th.

Reaction Score
My guess is Paige Azzi Sarah Aubrey Ice. As starters. I have no idea how good Jana might be hopefully she and ice can battle it out or split time. I would think Geno will be very careful with Azzi so plenty of time for Shade and other guards.sure he will want Paige playing off the ball at times so plenty of time for KK too. Of course much of this is dependent on how people are recovering or have recovered from injuries. In fact AG may not even be ready at start of the year. Potentially a team that can compete with anyone.
I'll be the first to say this. Not that I don't think Aubrey doesn't deserve to start, but Geno likes Aubrey coming off the bench and I think Aubrey excels as well as a 6th man. But right now, the earliest I can see her back is in the new year so we will need to patient with her progress and getting back into game shape.

Reaction Score
Gauging by her talent and size, no matter the combination of players most likely to start, I think Geno will have Sarah in the starting line up by the end of November at the latest. She's got more size than Aubrey, Caroline, and Ayanna. She's a better shooter (and seems to be quicker than Ice) than Ice, Aubrey, and Ayanna. She's more versatile than all 4 of them.

With that in mind, I think Azzi, Paige, Sarah, and Jana are your locks for best starters, if you are taking best talent and skillset at their positions. That 5th player, in my humble opinion should be a "dog" primarily focused on rebounding and defense. Aubrey first comes to mind, but I'd love to see Ayanna develop over the summer after recovery, because I think she could be the most athletically gifted to help is in that area. If she can refine her moves in the paint (back to the basket and put backs), and a free throw line jumper, this starting 5 would be dominant!

Of course, health is the primary enemy, even Sarah seemed to be affected at the McDonald's AA game, but beyond that... "the roof is the ceiling"! Lol! Go Huskies!

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
Sarah starts from day one. She is that good and she is exactly what this team needs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think a good place to start with Geno and large rosters of talented players is his National Team work. He consistently had a starting five, and a second six, and an emergency player for fatigue, injury, or foul issues. And you can also look back to the 2000 and 2001 Uconn teams with really strong benches, where the start/second-string minute distributions were usually in the avg range of 24/16.

With three freshmen and a sophomore coming being in practice for the first time, and 4 addition players coming off injuries a lot will depend on their health/development/availability. That is 53% of the roster by itself. Add in two players who had minimal minutes this year and you are up to 67% of the roster that are really 'unkown.' Two of the remaining five are sophomores who received 'spotty' minutes, while the other 3 - Paige, KK, and Ash are the only actually 'known' members of next years roster.

I think those three will be very hard to displace from the starting lineup though I expect their minutes will be reduced.

Ice has the inside track on the fourth starter position, but she has to show marked improvement this off season to hold off both returning wounded and incoming freshmen.

And the fifth position is probably Jana's to lose because she is the only post on the roster - if she can't claim that position, I would not be surprised if Geno went with twin PFs of Ice and Strong trading off inside/outside on both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
We are not allowed to speculate but Geno did offer another player a scholarship while knowing that Sarah was coming to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Paige will be the only return starter next season assuming everyone is healthy which to me is a question mark. Too many injuries over the past few years to think it isn't something in the training at least from my point of view. Azzi and Sarah will be automatic starters and I would also put Jana into that category too.

The final player in the starting five to me will be someone that gives you length and strength in the post and right now that would be Patterson or possibly Ice. KK, Ice and another shooter will play in the rotation but all the others will be spot duty when it matters and be mop up players. I also don't think they will have 15 players on the roster unless they pick up a couple from the portal.

Reaction Score
We have depth. We will see & hear in a few months about how things are progressing with the players. I do hope, like always, that Coach Auriemma opens up with the playing time window a little more because I probably would have been fired if I was an assistant coach sitting on that UConn bench, especially during that Iowa game, saying "Coach. Q can't get a few minutes on the floor? Her length could help us. Her shooting could help. Her ability to get in the passing lane could help". But it is what it is and hopefully, with everyone back and 100% healthy, coach and the coaching staff figure out how to unleash this wonderful roster of talent.

Reaction Score
Yeah I definitely see KK being the starter next year regardless of anything. He likes having a “true PG” I don’t see anyone else who really fits that bill. I personally really like Paige at the point but it seems Geno prefers her off the ball.
If everyone can stay healthy Paige might play point more since she won‘t have to carry the team as much as this year and will be able to get some rest. Bringing KK and Aubrey off the bench adds defensive pressure and a ton of energy.

Reaction Score
November: Paige KK Ash Ice and Jana. That's who already knows the system, so they'll start early on. But this lineup is sure to change as more kids come up to speed, and I sure hope Sarah is the first of them.

The more interesting question to me isn't who starts but how deep a rotation Geno will run. I expect it will be very deep in November-December and will gradually shrink to 5+3 or 5+4 by late March. It's impossible to say who they will be now, but my guess/hope is that it's Paige Azzi Morgan (at pg) Sarah Jana, with KK Ash Ice Caroline Aubrey Q Ayanna and Allie coming in off the bench. Oh, wait, is that more than 5+4? D'oh! :eek::D

Teamwork Makes The Dream Work GIF by Adult Swim

Reaction Score
Hmm. Another open spot. Maybe portal look or Emely gets the green light to accept.

Reaction Score
Ines now also in portal. I think we should look for a 5 (if there's a decent one) and a grad student like Chen in the portal just because we don't know the injury situation for next year and how that shapes out.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Do I post it? Do I wait? Eh, what the heck. It'll make some of us feel better. Please ignore the purple and teal colors for AG and PB as I have no idea if this coming year is considered a covid or redshirt year so I'm just winging it.
View attachment 99031
Less than a week in, and already so many changes. But you're up to the challenge, correct? :)

Reaction Score
I’m surprised how many people see Jana as a starter. We’ve never seen her play and, as a foreigner, she wasn’t ranked. Yes she’s tall, but so is Amari. I. Sure hope she’s good enough to start, but to me a more likely scenario is that Ice and another of our “bigs” (Sarah?) start in the frontcourt. Or maybe a 1 year portal transfer?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom