UConn roster - 2024 and beyond ... | The Boneyard

UConn roster - 2024 and beyond ...

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Do I post it? Do I wait? Eh, what the heck. It'll make some of us feel better. Please ignore the purple and teal colors for AG and PB as I have no idea if this coming year is considered a covid or redshirt year so I'm just winging it.
1712423724860.jpeg

Reaction Score
Geno will have an over-abundance of riches next season. Staley gave 9 players minutes against NC State. Geno will have 13 realistic contributors. I'd love to see UConn come at teams with waves of players and wear them down physically with aggressive play. Not sure Geno is comfortable playing a full roster.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The trick is going to be balancing things between the 2025 recruiting class and the 2026 recruiting class. As in not filling up too much in 2025 so that there is little or no room for 2026.

I think it is reasonable to assume that Brady and, if healthy, Patterson are on the roster for 2026-2027. That makes eleven already, lower chart.

Re 2026, I am thinking Vukosa in particular. Also Jerzy Robinson.

I think Strong's commitment will make UConn even more attractive to the elite players.

Reaction Score
Geno will have an over-abundance of riches next season. Staley gave 9 players minutes against NC State. Geno will have 13 realistic contributors. I'd love to see UConn come at teams with waves of players and wear them down physically with aggressive play. Not sure Geno is comfortable playing a full roster.To

Geno will have an over-abundance of riches next season. Staley gave 9 players minutes against NC State. Geno will have 13 realistic contributors. I'd love to see UConn come at teams with waves of players and wear them down physically with aggressive play. Not sure Geno is comfortable playing a full roster.
Totally agree. I think Sarah is going to be the wild card next season. She can play multiple positions. Against bigger teams we could have her at the two and against smaller teams, she could post up and play the five. There will be tons of combinations that Geno can use next season and lots of players that can play mutliple positions. I think the starting five next year is going to be Paige, Azzi, Sarah, Ice, and Jana (if she is ready). Otherwise, I could see Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, Sarah, and Ice. Next year is going to be super exciting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You make a good point, but on the flip side... I'm not sure Geno has ever had this much talented depth. I imagine we will hear about this all summer - "how will Geno be able to 'keep everyone happy' on the roster with PT"? My answer to that is twofold.

First, not sure he "has" to keep everyone happy. Every single player on the roster knows who is ahead of them age/class-wise. It's not like these kids were recruited in a vacuum. They knew about covid years, knew who was likely coming back, and know who was going pro. They also know that not only do they need to earn PT in practice, but that they will be GIVEN opportunities to play. So... players want PT? Earn it AND perform.

Caveat to that - freshman season, Yanna was given plenty of opportunities to play, and she fumbled. This year, Ice was given plenty of opportunities to play, and early on, she fumbled. Wasn't until Liya was out with the injury that Ice suddenly blossomed.

My point about that is... if players can't perform well when coming off the bench, they will simply have to wait longer, or wait for an injury opportunity. But if they don't play well on the court, there is a plethora of depth to turn to.

Second, I don't believe Geno has left any players on the bench who could have helped in bigger games. And I don't think he will next year. If that means all our starters "only" average 20 MPG because there is so much quality depth, then that's what will happen. I could see us playing entire 4th quarters with no starters at all on the floor. And I hope they full court press for entire games. 40 minutes of hell. In total blowouts, maybe call the press off, but it's not fair for players off the bench to be told "go easy on them".

It will be uncharted territory since, as you said, abundance of riches. I am hopeful it is waves of play, tons of energy, and tough defense. I know it will take the freshmen time to catch on, but with so many options, I hope that we see at least 10-12 players average double digit minutes...

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
You make a good point, but on the flip side... I'm not sure Geno has ever had this much talented depth. I imagine we will hear about this all summer - "how will Geno be able to 'keep everyone happy' on the roster with PT"? My answer to that is twofold.

First, not sure he "has" to keep everyone happy. Every single player on the roster knows who is ahead of them age/class-wise. It's not like these kids were recruited in a vacuum. They knew about covid years, knew who was likely coming back, and know who was going pro. They also know that not only do they need to earn PT in practice, but that they will be GIVEN opportunities to play. So... players want PT? Earn it AND perform.

Caveat to that - freshman season, Yanna was given plenty of opportunities to play, and she fumbled. This year, Ice was given plenty of opportunities to play, and early on, she fumbled. Wasn't until Liya was out with the injury that Ice suddenly blossomed.

My point about that is... if players can't perform well when coming off the bench, they will simply have to wait longer, or wait for an injury opportunity. But if they don't play well on the court, there is a plethora of depth to turn to.

Second, I don't believe Geno has left any players on the bench who could have helped in bigger games. And I don't think he will next year. If that means all our starters "only" average 20 MPG because there is so much quality depth, then that's what will happen. I could see us playing entire 4th quarters with no starters at all on the floor. And I hope they full court press for entire games. 40 minutes of hell. In total blowouts, maybe call the press off, but it's not fair for players off the bench to be told "go easy on them".

It will be uncharted territory since, as you said, abundance of riches. I am hopeful it is waves of play, tons of energy, and tough defense. I know it will take the freshmen time to catch on, but with so many options, I hope that we see at least 10-12 players average double digit minutes...
I hope that the starters next year get more rest than a minute before the end of the quarter, as they were all warriors during the tournament, and I'm betting the fatigue finally caught up to them. Imagine being a starter, a team player, that is just as excited for 20-ish MPG so that everyone gets to contribute, and long term, gives the team a whole host of options into the post season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Totally agree. I think Sarah is going to be the wild card next season. She can play multiple positions. Against bigger teams we could have her at the two and against smaller teams, she could post up and play the five. There will be tons of combinations that Geno can use next season and lots of players that can play mutliple positions. I think the starting five next year is going to be Paige, Azzi, Sarah, Ice, and Jana (if she is ready). Otherwise, I could see Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, Sarah, and Ice. Next year is going to be super exciting.
Obviously injuries will play a huge role (ie. who's ready)? IF Caroline is 100%, I could see her starting over Ice or Sarah. There will be huge debates about it all summer. At some point I (or someone else) will post a poll of the entire roster and let fans vote for 5 as to who they think will start.

But... with a 100% entire team healthy, historically the ONLY reason Geno has ever started freshmen is when there was no one else. This is why I don't believe Sarah will start. We can pen in Paige and Azzi (then again, will Azzi be 100%)? I think Jana is a good bet. but the other 2 IMHO could come from Caroline, Ice, Aubrey, Ash, and Sarah.

I bet Geno has no idea at this time. Not sure he's even thought about it yet. Obviously, we fans have!!

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Ice and Sarah both play the 4 (PF) and unless Jana doesn't work out, Ice goes to first in off the bench. Due to injury and lack of play, I see Azzi backed up by Aubrey and Ash at the 3 (SF) and Paige at the 2 (SG) and KK at the 1 (1), backed up by the better of Morgan and Allie. I'm thinking Caroline, Q, Ayanna and Ines will see time as subs.

Reaction Score
The trick is going to be balancing things between the 2025 recruiting class and the 2026 recruiting class. As in not filling up too much in 2025 so that there is little or no room for 2026.

I think it is reasonable to assume that Brady and, if healthy, Patterson are on the roster for 2026-2027. That makes eleven already, lower chart.

I think Strong's commitment will make UConn even more attractive to the elite players.
This season was inspirational and maybe that was the catalyst for Sarah and others in the future!

Reaction Score
I can see Cheli starting instead of Ice. Same size but more versatility and skill with Cheli. Good rebounder, too. Start KK, Jana, Morgan, Sarah, and Paige. We have a winnah!!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
This season was inspirational and maybe that was the catalyst for Sarah and others in the future!
You are correct, it was all of that and recruits should be attracted by the culture that was on full display.

Reaction Score
Starting will be Azzi, Paige, Jana and SS, would the other starter be KK?
Yeah I definitely see KK being the starter next year regardless of anything. He likes having a “true PG” I don’t see anyone else who really fits that bill. I personally really like Paige at the point but it seems Geno prefers her off the ball.

Reaction Score
I would think so, especially since Azzi has no recent playing time and we have 2 newcomers to the system. KK is fast, tough and now a year experienced. With a stronger bench and players having to work back to fitness, I see us starting the year with a half court mentality with KK bringing up the ball, deferring to Paige to set up plays and our shooters shooting (and scoring - big numbers). I would imagine that either Allie or Morgan might be that other guard after some game experience.

Reaction Score
The real question is when was the last time UConn had a full 15 players on the roster. I can't remember if it has ever happened.

Reaction Score
I would think so, especially since Azzi has no recent playing time and we have 2 newcomers to the system. KK is fast, tough and now a year experienced. With a stronger bench and players having to work back to fitness, I see us starting the year with a half court mentality with KK bringing up the ball, deferring to Paige to set up plays and our shooters shooting (and scoring - big numbers). I would imagine that either Allie or Morgan might be that other guard after some game experience.
The real question is when was the last time UConn had a full 15 players on the roster. I can't remember if it has ever happened.
Oh the full court defensive pressure they will put on will be fun to see, get back to Genos definition of Huskie bball.

Reaction Score
I like the assumptions regarding 4 of the starters. Jana because we think she will be good and we don't have proven alternatives, and Sarah because she should be very good from the start. the real question is the 5th starter and the possibilities are endless.

They generally start, however, with how Paige is used. Azzi will be the 2 regardless, and Paige could be at the 1 or the 3. If the 3 then KK is the obvious choice, but if at the 1, we could go bigger with any one of Caroline, Morgan, Allie, Q, Aubrey or Ashlynn at the 3. I suspect we will see some of her at both spots.

Reaction Score

It is a balancing act, but at least in theory there are no additional available spots for a 2025 recruit, if there are no portal departures, and all of Paige, Azzi and Caroline return. So although the odds may be pretty low, we really have another year of a roster crunch, part two, at least now.

Reaction Score
QS needs a role on this team. She's got great length and can become a great perimeter defender.
I could see her stepping into Aubrey's role as defensive stopper (and rebounder) off the bench. She's capable of providing that same spark of energy that Aubrey does. I'm sure the coaching staff has plans for what they want Q to work on over the summer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom