UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UConn Outbound Transfers for 8/1/23>7/31/24 Cycle

Reaction Score
Matt Rhule is complaining that NEBRASKA is getting screwed. LSU isn’t happy. The former Syracuse coach complained they lost all their depth. It isn’t just G5. The whole system stinks worse than a New York City subway mens room.

Honestly, I think NIL alone could have worked. The transfer portal alone Might have worked. But the combination is just a disaster. Whoever thought letting everybody transfer without limitation and get unlimited NIL was just blind.
With all due respect, stinks for whom? Not the players, which should always be kept at the center of all of this. If UConn had bags of cash and were getting the top players in consistently to supplement winning records year over year and the Rent was packed because of it- I doubt you would be pining for change

Reaction Score
With all due respect, stinks for whom? Not the players, which should always be kept at the center of all of this. If UConn had bags of cash and were getting the top players in consistently to supplement winning records year over year and the Rent was packed because of it- I doubt you would be pining for change

It stinks for college football overall. This was always the rub with the amateurism debate. The amateur system, as flawed as it was, leveled the playing field immensely.

And I've never felt sorry for a second for a student athlete who gets a full ride to a university (plus plenty of perks on top of that). But yes, this new environment certainly benefits them as individuals immensely and I can't blame any of them for taking part. But it absolutely stinks for college football, and for UConn in particular.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
G5=G-League... Seems like players from a 100 teams are looking for spots on 30 teams. Talent will eventually settle where it belongs but not til that top 30 rounds out their 3-deep.

Reaction Score
G5=G-League... Seems like players from a 100 teams are looking for spots on 30 teams. Talent will eventually settle where it belongs but not til that top 30 rounds out their 3-deep.
Players have to balance the LT and the ST. For example, if Joly stayed at UConn, he would have local business opportunities for after football. And, for some players, they may have a better shot at the NFL if they are a star instead of depth at a P2 school.

Reaction Score
This has to be the play for the time being. Not only Haynes getting drafted and Mitchell going to a showcase but also Joly getting poached by a bigger team. Our kids getting poached should be a recruiting tool.
I like it. No more groveling around trying to get good players to commit for four or five years with our paltry NIL funds.

Get good examples of guys who are one of six at their position at AlaF'ingBama and who don't play, are getting some money but no great bag, and compare them to examples of players who were able to develop and showcase their ability at UConn and how much more money they got when they transferred for their third or fourth year at a school like MSU.

Our motto should be come here for a little but leave for a lot.......win/win for all.

Reaction Score
It stinks for college football overall. This was always the rub with the amateurism debate. The amateur system, as flawed as it was, leveled the playing field immensely.

And I've never felt sorry for a second for a student athlete who gets a full ride to a university (plus plenty of perks on top of that). But yes, this new environment certainly benefits them as individuals immensely and I can't blame any of them for taking part. But it absolutely stinks for college football, and for UConn in particular.
We agree there. However, we must admit that a UConn fans perspective of college football and let’s say any school’s fanbase that is benefiting from this NIL era is vastly different.

Reaction Score
I like it. No more groveling around trying to get good players to commit for four or five years with our paltry NIL funds.

Get good examples of guys who are one of six at their position at AlaF'ingBama and who don't play, are getting some money but no great bag, and compare them to examples of players who were able to develop and showcase their ability at UConn and how much more money they got when they transferred for their third or fourth year at a school like MSU.

Our motto should be come here for a little but leave for a lot.......win/win for all.
It's obviously not a long term play. But if being a developmental stepping stone for a minute helps in the win column then it's a benefit. And when you win you have a better chance to get the money to get the players.

Reaction Score
I’m glad he played out the season and played hard. He’s transferring for the right reasons IMO.
If he didn't transfer then he'd be an idiot. It's one thing to leave a winning program that showcases your talent. It's another to leave... Whatever this is right now.

Reaction Score
Agree with someone earlier saying that we should embrace being a farm system for the big boys. Alabama can pay the guys (NIL) to come here for 1-2 years. if they are good enough, they get promoted up. Guys we recruit / pull in from transfer will have the eyes of Bama on them. Perform they may pull you up. Share coaching resources, etc. Becomes a coaching farm for them too. Change the game on how it is approached. Tie in some bama games and / or other SEC games every year

Reaction Score
We should work out a deal with Bama -- we'll run your stuff if you feed us the players you want to eventually poach.

and take on kids who can't start there but were 5 stars coming out of high school. If we are going to be a minor league team might as well be tethered to a good program.

Reaction Score
I agree that Mora is taking the right approach. As for me, I was disappointed to learn that
Joly was leaving. I went out to split wood and was thinking about a 0 star player leaving for NIL. Did he come to UConn and think he would be an NFL player. I would hope that a 0 star kid like that comes here to play and get an education. I understand that he is leaving for money and thats his choice. However for me, I will not root for any the players who leave via portal for money. I will continue to root for whomever is wearing the UConn uni. Once a player transfers I am no longer interested. Now thats not 100% but damn near close. You leave for the money, then good luck I guess. I think I am in the minority here so hammer away.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Can't really fault any of them although the mid season transfers bug me. Kind of forced by the four-game rule though.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
It kills me after all the thanking, memories, and this and that all these kids say, "And with that being said"..... I'm bouncing

SMH
Abso-fracking-lutely. Better to call how it is, I'm leaving for more money and maybe more playing time while community and education mean jacks*** to me.

Last two days have been like the Red Wedding mixed with Halloween movies...the death blows keep coming. Mumu, Zion, Joly, and Ruelas gone, meanwhile we gotta swallow this bile of keeping the garbage OC. Sooo, I'm expecting now Edwards and Rosa to declare they're leaving too...I need a drink.

Reaction Score

Nebraska's Matt Rhule: 'Good QB' Costs $1-2M in NIL Deals in Transfer Portal​

Pretty scary/funny when you think how much UConn Football gets for media rights.
One QB on a P5 team is worth as much as the entire UConn Football program.

Reaction Score
Hoosiers Connect, an official NIL collective of Indiana Athletics, announced Thursday a fundraising campaign called 'Back the Rock.' An anonymous donor has pledged $1 million in matching funds for all donations made to Hoosiers Connect and Hoosiers For Good through the end of the year.

This is the arms race College Athletics has become..... I don't think anyone thinks this is a good thing

Reaction Score
We agree there. However, we must admit that a UConn fans perspective of college football and let’s say any school’s fanbase that is benefiting from this NIL era is vastly different.

Nah, UConn basketball is benefiting and I still don’t like it selfishly as a fan. It’s reality so I hope we do continue to poach good players from the transfer portal, but as a fan I’d rather we’d go back to the days you mostly relied on high school recruiting and developed guys

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom