UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kiki is coming home, as others said no real surprise… the real USC moves to the Big10, private school to private school… her HS is one of the best in LA. I think she just plays one year and on paper they look very very good… question is can Gottlieb put it all together?
Welcome K. Chen to our Huskies too!

Reaction Score
Remember when Sarah Strong took the longest time to make her decision known and BYers were saying no way she'll go to UConn NoCar or Duke will get her and at her announcement she said UConn was her choice all along!
Beers has to see the handwriting on the wall!
UConn can give her everything she desires and more!
There is really no real choice here!

Reaction Score
The top Universities in Oklahoma are

(OU) Univeristy of Oklahoma in Norman: Sooners
(OSU) Oklahoma State University in Stillwater: Cowboys/Cowgirls
(TU) University of Tulsa in Tulsa: Golden Hurricane

I had to look them up since some of the posts got me confused. Hope this helps...

Reaction Score
Remember when Sarah Strong took the longest time to make her decision known and BYers were saying no way she'll go to UConn NoCar or Duke will get her and at her announcement she said UConn was her choice all along!
Beers has to see the handwriting on the wall!
UConn can give her everything she desires and more!
There is really no real choice here!
That would likely be true but for the assistant coach thing. Clearly, she values her relationship with this coach more than a potential championship with people she does not even know. One has to admire that kind of loyalty if that is truly the case. This shows one of the disadvantages of recruiting from the portal. There is not time for building a relationship with the layer before she has to choose. (Perhaps that would not matter in this case, but it might in some cases)

It is also possible that she simply does not want to play for a high profile team like UConn where she will be under the microscope more than at a place like Oklahoma. I don’t know what her background is, but perhaps she’s more of a country girl and feels more comfortable there. Sad for us, but if she thinks she’ll be happier there, then all you can say is; I wish you well! (Unless you’re playing us!;))

Reaction Score
Is it official?
Not yet, she followed the director of player development, content video coordinator, and their director of operations and a lot of players then skilm mulkey on Twitter posted a teaser video of Oklahoma hinting that they got a recruit so it’s pretty safe to say that she’s going there.

Reaction Score
Not yet, she followed the director of player development, content video coordinator, and their director of operations and a lot of players then skilm mulkey on Twitter posted a teaser video of Oklahoma hinting that they got a recruit so it’s pretty safe to say that she’s going there.
It's NOT OVER until it's over...

Beers to UConn on Weds! MAY DAY, MAY DAY, MAY DAY!!!

We can wait three days, can't we?!?:cool:

Reaction Score
That would likely be true but for the assistant coach thing. Clearly, she values her relationship with this coach more than a potential championship with people she does not even know. One has to admire that kind of loyalty if that is truly the case. This shows one of the disadvantages of recruiting from the portal. There is not time for building a relationship with the layer before she has to choose. (Perhaps that would not matter in this case, but it might in some cases)

It is also possible that she simply does not want to play for a high profile team like UConn where she will be under the microscope more than at a place like Oklahoma. I don’t know what her background is, but perhaps she’s more of a country girl and feels more comfortable there. Sad for us, but if she thinks she’ll be happier there, then all you can say is; I wish you well! (Unless you’re playing us!;))
Cuango- - -There are a couple things I don't seem to agree with you on!
First, I would think she'd have more loyalty to a Head Coach that moved on to another school, like Georgia Amore going to KY! Not so much for an assistant coach! Even if she went through the HS recruiting process with UConn she's going on 2 to 3 days with the team in practices and on campus sightseeing! What does she really learn about that situation but 1st reactions?
Second, She played 2 years for Oregon State and was in a high pressure situation that could have taken OSU to the Final Four.
She thrived in the high pressure situations and if you're as talented as she obviously is I would think she'd want to test herself vs the best competition every day in practice and in every game on UConn's schedule!
I'd be disappointed in her if she took the easy way out!

Reaction Score
I would keep an eye on Janiah Barker. Morgan Cheli, Caroline, KK, Ayanna, Sarah Strong, and Aliyah Edwards are all following her. I’m to sure when they all started following her. I think it’s interesting that Morgan and Sarah are following her. Just speculation though

Also, she has followed back Kk, Sarah strong and Ayanna.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I would keep an eye on Janiah Barker. Morgan Cheli, Caroline, KK, Ayanna, Sarah Strong, and Aliyah Edwards are all following her. I’m to sure when they all started following her. I think it’s interesting that Morgan and Sarah are following her. Just speculation though

Also, she has followed back Kk, Sarah strong and Ayanna.

That would be seriously interesting for various reasons. There would have to be a significant change of heart on at least her part to make that happen.

Reaction Score
Cuango- - -There are a couple things I don't seem to agree with you on!
First, I would think she'd have more loyalty to a Head Coach that moved on to another school, like Georgia Amore going to KY! Not so much for an assistant coach! Even if she went through the HS recruiting process with UConn she's going on 2 to 3 days with the team in practices and on campus sightseeing! What does she really learn about that situation but 1st reactions?
Second, She played 2 years for Oregon State and was in a high pressure situation that could have taken OSU to the Final Four.
She thrived in the high pressure situations and if you're as talented as she obviously is I would think she'd want to test herself vs the best competition every day in practice and in every game on UConn's schedule!
I'd be disappointed in her if she took the easy way out!
And yet she’s apparently spurning UConn for Oklahoma who is reportedly hiring her former assistant coach. Not seeing where I’m wrong. I think it’s pretty clear that the coach thing is a huge factor in her decision and I would not be at all surprised if the relative status level between the two schools is also a factor. She just strikes me as not wanting to be in the spotlight that being a star player at UConn would bring. Obviously, I have no real idea as to why she is (apparently) choosing Oklahoma. I’m just musing out loud but I think it’s safe to say that something at Oklahoma is more attractive to her than the (I think it’s fair to say) strong likelihood of her both winning a national championship and materially improving her draft stock for the WNBA!

Reaction Score
That would be seriously interesting for various reasons. There would have to be a significant change of heart on at least her part to make that happen.
Maybe a "change of Heart". Ms. Janiah Barker played with Ayanna 4 to Barker's #11 in
the 2021 3X3 Women's U 18 World Cup. They won GOLD in the Finals vs Team Spain. The other team
members for USA were Kiki Rice, Mickaela (sp) Williams. Many things can change over a few YEARS!
Janiah is 6' 4" and very athletic. Watch the video of the FIBA 2021 3x3 U18 World Cup. You could
also google the USA WOMEN's 3x3 U 18 National Team to see the roster and some stats. This
could be more than a "maybe". It is truly a waiting game! GENO: "standing pat" or " filling up
the Huskie Team" for Paige's last year??? To be continued???
At Texas A & M this year Janiah played 30 games last year with 12.2 ppg and had a FG % of 47.9,
a three point % of 34.3 and I think 7.6? RB per game (I'm not sure on that last stat).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And yet she’s apparently spurning UConn for Oklahoma who is reportedly hiring her former assistant coach. Not seeing where I’m wrong. I think it’s pretty clear that the coach thing is a huge factor in her decision and I would not be at all surprised if the relative status level between the two schools is also a factor. She just strikes me as not wanting to be in the spotlight that being a star player at UConn would bring. Obviously, I have no real idea as to why she is (apparently) choosing Oklahoma. I’m just musing out loud but I think it’s safe to say that something at Oklahoma is more attractive to her than the (I think it’s fair to say) strong likelihood of her both winning a national championship and materially improving her draft stock for the WNBA!
Are there two states more different than Connecticut and Oklahoma? Raegan is from Colorado - maybe Oklahoma is just more comfortable for her as a place to live.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe a "change of Heart". Ms. Janiah Barker played with Ayanna 4 to Barker's #11 in
the 2021 3X3 Women's U 18 World Cup. They won GOLD in the Finals vs Team Spain. The other team
members for USA were Kiki Rice, Mickaela (sp) Williams. Many things can change over a few YEARS!
Janiah is 6' 4" and very athletic. Watch the video of the FIBA 2021 3x3 U18 World Cup. You could
also google the USA WOMEN's 3x3 U 18 National Team to see the roster and some stats. This
could be more than a "maybe". It is truly a waiting game! GENO: "standing pat" or " filling up
the Huskie Team" for Paige's last year??? To be continued???
At Texas A & M this year Janiah played 30 games last year with 12.2 ppg and had a FG % of 47.9,
a three point % of 34.3 and I think 7.6? RB per game (I'm not sure on that last stat).
Interesting. While we’ve all been waiting to see if it’s black or white smoke from Raegan Beers, along comes Ms Barker, who adds an entirely different dimension to a basketball team. Her ability to run the court, pull up from the arc and her athleticism would be on full display if she came to UConn. :)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I don't know the history of JB, however as players mature and look towards the future, it's reasonable to change opinions on things from when they were in HS. As an incoming junior, she has two years to shore up her pro potential. And somewhere on this board is a post I made a few weeks ago, about what if we were all looking in the wrong direction and Geno pulls off a stunner, aka Evina Westbrook.

Reaction Score
I don't know the history of JB, however as players mature and look towards the future, it's reasonable to change opinions on things from when they were in HS. As an incoming junior, she has two years to shore up her pro potential. And somewhere on this board is a post I made a few weeks ago, about what if we were all looking in the wrong direction and Geno pulls off a stunner, aka Evina Westbrook.
Plus when you're stuck in neutral and what you've been doing isn't working a wise person would be more open minded about options.

Reaction Score
Thank you for reminding me of Evina, a consummate Husky who Geno stunned us all with. One of my all time favorites, as a player and a teammate.

I haven’t seen enough of Barker’s games at Texas AM to know what sort of teammate she might be. I know she’s quick and a good leaper who runs the court really well — more in the mould of Liv than Mama Stef — but what sort of teammate would she be? Maybe it’s too much to expect of anyone that she take to Storrs as well as Evina did. But will she get along with Azzi and Coach P? That would be enough, since the rest of the team is likely to follow their judgment.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I went back to take a look at Barker’s recruiting history. As a jr in HS at Tampa Bay Tech she narrowed down her list of schools to Louisville, UGA, Duke, SC and MS. She transferred to Monteverde Academy for her senior year in HS and ultimately followed Joni Taylor to A&M when Taylor was hired from UGA.

After 2 years at A&M, her decision to transfer is likely not rushed or ill considered. We can only speculate. But the opportunity to play for a championship team as well as the ability to develop as a future pro would appear to be important components of her decision.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Thank you for reminding me of Evina, a consummate Husky who Geno stunned us all with. One of my all time favorites, as a player and a teammate.

I haven’t seen enough of Barker’s games at Texas AM to know what sort of teammate she might be. I know she’s quick and a good leaper who runs the court really well — more in the mould of Liv than Mama Stef — but what sort of teammate would she be? Maybe it’s too much to expect of anyone that she take to Storrs as well as Evina did. But will she get along with Azzi and Coach P? That would be enough, since the rest of the team is likely to follow their judgment.
I'm guessing she'll be the type of teammate that's expected at UConn. If she was interested, I'm sure the coaches and players are all straight with her as to exactly how it goes. Whether on the court or bench, everyone supports each other. There's no way that Geno brings in a player that will impact the team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Just a comment. Other than her ability to block shots, Barker’s game is nothing like Liv’s. She is far more athletic, runs the court exceptionally well, with a beautiful pull up jump shot and an array of quick, athletic post moves. She would be a star and potential AA at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom