UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn (only) Recruiting (only) Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Just a comment. Other than her ability to block shots, Barker’s game is nothing like Liv’s. She is far more athletic, runs the court exceptionally well, with a beautiful pull up jump shot and an array of quick, athletic post moves. She would be a star and potential AA at UConn.
You just changed my mind about who I hope UConn gets as a post player from the portal. I knew nothing about her. I thought she was a guard. Barker and Bueckers. ;)

Reaction Score
JANIAH BARKER!!! Girl can move!

Thanks for the video. This confirms my impressions from the only games of hers I watched -- the Tennessee and LSU games.

She is fast, quicker in the open court than Aaliyah, who is really fast for a big. She also has quick hands in addition to quick feet. This makes her an excellent open-court defender. She'll be great on the high hedges Geno likes to run.

She also has an impressive midrange shooting game, a shot she can get off without a lot help. And she has some good quick low post moves.

What I didn't see in this video, and in those other games, is a great low post defender. Perhaps this is merely an effect of playing next to Lauren Ware, who carried more of this load.

But she doesn't strike me as a traditional rim protector. Also, she looks small for 6'4". This may be an illusion because she plays in a semi-crouch much of the time, and this may be inevitable for someone who understands her virtue is speed.

When folks here call for another big from the portal, I think they're looking for a low post player and a rim protector. I think Barker could be a great addition for us -- assuming she can fit into the team chemistry -- but I don't think she'd solve the problem others think we have. I don't really think we have the deficiency many think we do. I think Jana will be enough. If Geno brings in Barker, it will mainly be to play next to Jana, not instead of her.

And this leaves us with a conundrum since it means she will effectively displace Sarah Ayanna Ice Caroline and Aubrey for two years. I'm not totally convinced this is the best use of our roster. Still, it's hard not to like this kid and to want to add her. This is why Geno gets paid the big bucks, tough calls like these.

Reaction Score
JANIAH BARKER!!! Girl can move!

Thanks for the Highlights! NICE! Besides the speed, the defense, the three-point shooting, etc. Here is
another stat: Texas A & M vs U of South Carolina Gamecocks on March 8, 2024. Janiah shot five for 14 from
the field, one for three from three-point range with 2 rebounds and 11 POINTS... But hold on a minute! She
fouled out after playing only 23 minutes and still got near her points per game for the SEASON. THUS... She fouled out,
but she still had 11 points in that game to essentially match her average 12.2 points per game for the season.
I did not watch the game... But my guess is that she played her heart out. I remember while watching the highlights from this year
posted on the BONEYARD (see above) how she played while on the 3X3 for the USA women's 3X3 Basketball team in 2021
with Ayanna Patterson.... at 6'4" she has the skills of a guard!( see again the highlight reel, So, we not really comparing her to Ms. Reagan Beers. Barker is not a post player.... While not a Stewie.... she could blend in very well with the Huskie style. Another " Wait and
See" moment for the BONEYARD. I would not mind adding either of these two exceptional players. Geno will decide
on the chemistry... I wait for the formal announcements. NICE TO HAVE KAITLYN !!

Reaction Score
I went back to take a look at Barker’s recruiting history. As a jr in HS at Tampa Bay Tech she narrowed down her list of schools to Louisville, UGA, Duke, SC and MS. She transferred to Monteverde Academy for her senior year in HS and ultimately followed Joni Taylor to A&M when Taylor was hired from UGA.

After 2 years at A&M, her decision to transfer is likely not rushed or ill considered. We can only speculate. But the opportunity to play for a championship team as well as the ability to develop as a future pro would appear to be important components of her decision.
From her list of schools it appears she prefers schools in the southeast.

Reaction Score
Darn. Wish I knew what happened with her recruitment here. Does anyone know if there was anything specific her not choosing UCONN other than the assistant coach situation?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Darn. Wish I knew what happened with her recruitment here. Does anyone know if there was anything specific her not choosing UCONN other than the assistant coach situation?
Could have been a number of things - did she see herself as a good fit, did the coaches, how warm/hot were either side for each other, etc. There was a lot of speculation online, however we'll never know.

Reaction Score
I know Gardiner (F-Oregon St) had injury issues early in the season last year but seemed to do well when she was healthy enough to get into the lineup. Is she worth consideration at this point now that Beers and Iriafen are off the board?

Reaction Score
I know Gardiner (F-Oregon St) had injury issues early in the season last year but seemed to do well when she was healthy enough to get into the lineup. Is she worth consideration at this point now that Beers and Iriafen are off the board?
I like Gardiner and think she would fit the offense. Could there be interest.

Janiah Barker
Amina Muhammad
Timea Gardiner

Reaction Score
She may have decided she wanted to be closer to home. The east coast vibe isn't for everyone.
Sadly, I got this one right..........something I didn't want to bring up before Beers made her decision........she appears to be very conservative from a political standpoint based on her follows, perhaps she felt more comfortable in Oklahoma than in the Northeast......

Reaction Score
Sadly, I got this one right..........something I didn't want to bring up before Beers made her decision........she appears to be very conservative from a political standpoint based on her follows, perhaps she felt more comfortable in Oklahoma than in the Northeast......

This is something I was made aware of as well

Reaction Score
Geno doesn't bring in players on a stop-gap basis unless he simply doesn't have the numbers he needs..........I could be wrong, but my guess is he will go to battle next season with the current roster..........and not a "bad" roster at that........

Reaction Score
I know Barker seems to be the new flavor of the month, but not knowing if there is real interest in either direction, I wonder about three other possibilities, none great, but all with only one year of eligibility left, that could at least help some.

Namely Karlen from Marquette, Dalcy from Villanova, and King from Pittsburg. With Barker I wonder if she is good enough that a second year from her is worth potentially losing a four year recruit from the 2025 class? With Beers I think the obvious answer would be yes, but for Barker or any other possible player with more than one year left, I'm not so sure.

Reaction Score
I know Barker seems to be the new flavor of the month, but not knowing if there is real interest in either direction, I wonder about three other possibilities, none great, but all with only one year of eligibility left, that could at least help some.

Namely Karlen from Marquette, Dalcy from Villanova, and King from Pittsburg. With Barker I wonder if she is good enough that a second year from her is worth potentially losing a four year recruit from the 2025 class? With Beers I think the obvious answer would be yes, but for Barker or any other possible player with more than one year left, I'm not so sure.
Karlen is a Minnesota kid so I'm a bit Bias and would love to have her here at UCONN. Another name that isn't well known but could help add some length to the roster is Lety Vasconcelos. She played High school ball at montverde and one season at Baylor. She doesn't add immediate help like Karlen, but I think she could help us down the line.

Reaction Score

Karlen is a mystery. You'd think if she was following Duffy it would have happened by now. Also, no discussion around her so wonder what she's looking for. I've never seen anything in Dalce...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom