UConn - Mississippi State PreGame TidBits | The Boneyard

UConn - Mississippi State PreGame TidBits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
News, info, speculation, predictions, and tidbits for the next game. Saturday morn's a comin'! :)

UConn vs. Mississippi State - 3/26/16 Women's NCAA Tournament Pick, Odds, and Prediction
Mississippi State Bulldogs vs. UConn Huskies

College Basketball: Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 11:30 am (Webster Bank Arena)
The Line: Connecticut -31.5 --- Over/Under: 132.5
TV: ESPN

The Mississippi State Bulldogs look for another win after beating Michigan State on Sunday. The Mississippi State Bulldogs are averaging 70.1 points on 40 percent shooting and allowing 54.7 points on 37.2 percent shooting. Victoria Vivians is averaging 17.4 points and 5.9 rebounds while Morgan William is averaging 9.9 points and 2.3 rebounds. Dominique Dillinghm has dished 65 assists and Chinwe Okorie is grabbing 6.1 rebounds.

The Mississippi State Bulldogs are shooting 30.6 percent from beyond the arc and 73.2 percent from the free throw line. The Bulldogs are allowing 27.5 percent shooting from deep and are grabbing 40.1 rebounds per game. The Mississippi State Bulldogs are 8-1 this season on neutral courts.

MORE...

Reaction Score
The UMS women's team advertises itself as "relentless" and "unstoppable." On YouTube, find some very nicely produced videos extolling the virtues of the Lady Bulldogs: . Looking over their record this season, I don't see much to do nip-ups over. They don't seem to get much production offensively except from one player (she shoots a rousing 30% from 3-land). Two large people patrol inside, and they consider themselves an outstanding defensive unit, especially on denying opponents long-range shots. In my mind it's difficult to have it both ways: clog the interior and give up perimeter shots and vice versa. UConn, of course, has the players to shoot from anywhere; no opponent can stop everything. The Lady Bulldogs are also pretty good away from home, but meeting the Huskies in Bridgeport or any place else will seem especially unfriendly. Huskies should make a nice meal of Bulldogs.

Reaction Score
Van Chancellor: UConn women the best
Rick Cleveland 11:20 a.m. CDT March 23, 2016

Basketball Hall of Fame coach Van Chancellor drawls on and on in superlatives when asked about Geno Auriemma and his Connecticut women's basketball juggernaut.

Hey, Van, is UConn the most dominant team in sports today?

“Ain't no question about it,” Chancellor says, by telephone from his Houston home. “There's nobody else today to compare 'em to. I'd have to go back to the 1927 New York Yankees or John Wooden's great men's team at UCLA. That's how good they are. They are so much better than everyone else in the sport.

“You got the best coach and he's coaching the very best players. I've always said Pat Summitt did more than any single person for women's college basketball, but even her teams at their peak weren't like what UConn has become.”

Mississippi State will face the Huskies in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament Saturday at Bridgeport, Connecticut, which will be about as neutral a court as The Hump was for Michigan State on Sunday.

Facing UConn, anywhere, is like trying to swim the Pacific Ocean, bleeding, with sharks all around. UConn has won 71 straight games, 117 of the last 118. The Huskies led their opening round opponent, Robert Morris 60-9 before waltzing to a 52-point victory. UConn's average margin of victory through 34 straight victories this season? Try 40 points. Forty!

“Offensively, he is way ahead of everyone else,” Chancellor said. “They run that stuff Princeton ran under Pete Carril. They'll backdoor you to death if you get up and guard them, and they'll stand out there knock down threes all day if you play off them.”

MORE...

Reaction Score
Miss. St. players sound pretty confident about playing UConn. Here are some quotes by two of their players from this afternoon's presser.

Morgan William: "I like going against the best. So I am excited to play UConn."

Dominique Dillingham: " (UConn) has always been good, but to me it is just another basketball team when we play them."

Morgan William: They’re just another basketball team. They’ve just got UConn written across their shirt.

Dominique Dillingham: …It’s just another game…we played Tennessee, they’re a great team, but you know, they’re just like Tennessee, they’re great too, it’s just another team to me.

Dominique Dillingham: We match up pretty well with them, overall, and I think we can take advantage inside we have a little bit of a height advantage, but Breanna Stewart is a great defender so I think if we attack her, that’s a good thing for us to do is to attack her defensively, but overall, I think we can attack them…

Source: Periscope

Might they be our undoing? :eek:

Reaction Score
Miss. St. coach's presser today (Wednesday)
This is on "Periscope" which I believe lives for only 24 hours.
Click the graphic to link to the video.

Miss_3.png

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me but I heard this same song many times before. After the game, the tune seems to change a bit as the opponent realizes that UConn is 118-1 for a reason. That's usually when they discover that they have just been Mo'd, Stewed, and Tucked in before they ever knew what happened to them.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
First - Java - you are a gem for finding all these interesting items that you post. Thanks!!!

Second - what are these kids supposed to say? "I'm quaking in my boots and I don't want to get on the plane to CT?" They have to put on a good face, they have to play the game....and they have to try and catch lightning in a bottle!! (lots of luck...)

Yeah, they probably are pretty nervous. Just how nervous, we'll know by noon on Saturday.

GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
Sure they did. They beat them twice. If you are referring to the fact that comparing Tenn to UConn is ridiculous, well I can agree with that.
You mean my intent wasn't obvious???:confused:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Their quotes were much better than the Duquesne ones... Much better. They are obviously more accustomed to press conferences.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Love that the MSU players believe in themselves and their team. But Dillingham saying UConn is "just like Tennessee" is a really low blow. Very low. That deserves a response. I hope Stewie stuffs several of her shot attempts.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The players handled themselves very well. Confident but not cocky.

They will now experience what many have experienced before - speed, defensive intensity, physical size and physical play and an offense that flows. No box-and-ones or the like work.

Should be a good game for about 12 to 13 minutes - then the run to put htme away.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The players handled themselves very well. Confident but not cocky.

They will now experience what many have experienced before - speed, defensive intensity, physical size and physical play and an offense that flows. No box-and-ones or the like work.

Should be a good game for about 12 to 13 minutes - then the run to put htme away.

If UConn is going to break their spirit, it should not take more that 13-18 minutes. That's about how long it took against the Dukes. If the Bulldogs are still in the game at that point, then we will have a game.

Reaction Score
First - Java - you are a gem for finding all these interesting items that you post. Thanks!!!

Second - what are these kids supposed to say? "I'm quaking in my boots and I don't want to get on the plane to CT?" They have to put on a good face, they have to play the game....and they have to try and catch lightning in a bottle!! (lots of luck...)

Yeah, they probably are pretty nervous. Just how nervous, we'll know by noon on Saturday.

GO HUSKIES!

You guys don't get it. Talk about your team and that you believe in your team, but don't say they're just another team, they have UConn written on their shirts, we match up pretty well with them, it's just another game, not when the team you're playing is 119-1.

Reaction Score
Miss. St. players sound pretty confident about playing UConn. Here are some quotes by two of their players from this afternoon's presser.

Morgan William: "I like going against the best. So I am excited to play UConn."

Dominique Dillingham: " (UConn) has always been good, but to me it is just another basketball team when we play them."

Morgan William: They’re just another basketball team. They’ve just got UConn written across their shirt.

Dominique Dillingham: …It’s just another game…we played Tennessee, they’re a great team, but you know, they’re just like Tennessee, they’re great too, it’s just another team to me.

Dominique Dillingham: We match up pretty well with them, overall, and I think we can take advantage inside we have a little bit of a height advantage, but Breanna Stewart is a great defender so I think if we attack her, that’s a good thing for us to do is to attack her defensively, but overall, I think we can attack them…

Source: Periscope

Might they be our undoing? :eek:
Is Miss St an accredited school? I respect that all teams have to talk the talk but Dillinghams comment says someone does not do their homework. "they’re just like Tennessee". :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

A lesson will be learned I am sure. Our dogs may not even let theirs get off the porch. ;)

Reaction Score
You cannot practice what UCONN brings to the court both offensively & defensively.
You can add guys to speed it up but none of their practices will prepare them for that hunger that UCONN will bring to the game!
NO-ONE plays as hard as UCONN does for the full 40 minutes!
6 minutes into the game will be the Oh, realization for Miss. State!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Actually listening to Vic Shaefer offers some insights of which I was unaware.
According to hom:

1. UConn has four Senior All-Americans.
2.The Guards are all big...(Perhaps the teeny-tiny one he didn't notice will be the most problematic).
3. When asked about UConn's D and how it is sometimes overlooked he commented; "I noticed that."
4. He was big into the arguementt that playing on the opponents home court is a big disadvantage (excuses prepared?)

The rest were the softball questions about his own team, wonderful coaches, beautiful campus, highest scoring HS recruit of all time...yada.yada...turned it off...hope I did't miss any tidbits.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
“Offensively, he is way ahead of everyone else,” Chancellor said. “They run that stuff Princeton ran under Pete Carril. They'll backdoor you to death if you get up and guard them, and they'll stand out there knock down threes all day if you play off them.”

MORE...
Ah come on Van. UCONN doesn't run the Princeton offense. They run the Iba/Knight motion offense. He should know better than that.

Reaction Score
I never overlook any team, and I'm sure Geno doesn't either. I remember that first half by Dayton and how I sweated that game out. I'm not sure I've fully recovered..

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Puh-leeze! In all this analysis of well-intentioned but misguided quotes, spare us the one by Mike Tyson.:)

Reaction Score
Actually listening to Vic Shaefer offers some insights of which I was unaware.
According to hom:

1. UConn has four Senior All-Americans.
2.The Guards are all big...(Perhaps the teeny-tiny one he didn't notice will be the most problematic).
3. When asked about UConn's D and how it is sometimes overlooked he commented; "I noticed that."
4. He was big into the arguementt that playing on the opponents home court is a big disadvantage (excuses prepared?)

The rest were the softball questions about his own team, wonderful coaches, beautiful campus, highest scoring HS recruit of all time...yada.yada...turned it off...hope I did't miss any tidbits.

Four (4) Senior All Americans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog