UConn. Georgetown. 2016 & 2017. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn. Georgetown. 2016 & 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It does have relevance to DC area recruits and that is why we scheduled Georgetown. Syracuse wants to also schedule Georgetown and St. Johns for the same reason. We are hesitating to schedule Nova because we already play Temple in the Philadelphia market. We won't be scheduling any team that isn't home and home because we don't have to.

Staying relevant in the DC market is desirable. In general, that is more important than P5 games save P5 games help politically when we need friends.

Just as playing in Boston is probably more important that playing BCU. I would love to play Providence in the Garden. Great trip for both fan bases. Keeps us relevant in Bazz's hometown.

Reaction Score
What I'm arguing is that the exposure by playing in a given city is absolutely meaningless ( exception being NYC as it's our home away from home).

Both games are going to be on espn. A kid looking to play d1 hoops from DC is somehow supposed to be more interested or aware of UConn based on one game near his city over the course of 4 years? I don't buy that at all.

I guess we'll just disagree then. It's pretty hilarious to me you don't see the obvious value in it. I guess you think consistently scheduling games against teams in Florida, Ohio, Texas, Michigan, etc. is just random, and has nothing to do with the fact that those states produce tons of high level high school basketball players each year.

Reaction Score
What Rocktheworld means is that it's easy for people to say "Meh. We need to be playing Kentucky or Kansas!"....as if they just came up with a brilliant idea that Ollie and Manuel just never even considered. The reality is that we almost certainly did reach out to those teams, it's just that you need about 10 different variables to line up perfectly in order to actually schedule one of these series.

So if we're "settling" for the next tier of opponents in certain cases, we could do a heck of a lot worse than Georgetown.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I guess we'll just disagree then. It's pretty hilarious to me you don't see the obvious value in it. I guess you think consistently scheduling games against teams in Florida, Ohio, Texas, Michigan, etc. is just random, and has nothing to do with the fact that those states produce tons of high level high school basketball players each year.

It's because they are national programs, that are consistently ranked and the games will be on CBS or ESPN and will sell out Gampel or XL.

Florida is a state with 20M people. Playing one game at Florida, in Gainesville, has literally no impact on recruiting in the area aside from being a heavyweight hoops game on tv.

Reaction Score
What Rocktheworld means is that it's easy for people to say "Meh. We need to be playing Kentucky or Kansas!"....as if they just came up with a brilliant idea that Ollie and Manuel just never even considered. The reality is that we almost certainly did reach out to those teams, it's just that you need about 10 different variables to line up perfectly in order to actually schedule one of these series.

So if we're "settling" for the next tier of opponents in certain cases, we could do a heck of a lot worse than Georgetown.
Thanks homie

Reaction Score
It's because they are national programs, that are consistently ranked and the games will be on CBS or ESPN and will sell out Gampel or XL.

Florida is a state with 20M people. Playing one game at Florida, in Gainesville, has literally no impact on recruiting in the area aside from being a heavyweight hoops game on tv.
Actually it is some of both. We recruit regularly in the DC-Balt. market so it is important. BTW, major coaches have said as much and would disagree with you. Now to play GW or Maryland Eastern Shore does us no good and on that I agree. Georgetown is a major program with a strong national brand and a history with us. We get more out of playing them as opposed to say Oregon.

Reaction Score

OK, thanks. I wasn't trying to say we should play Kentucky or Kansas instead of Georgetown, which I guess is why I was confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom