Uconn Football Tweet April 3 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Uconn Football Tweet April 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd have preferred an on campus stadium to East Hartford. Even though the Rent is great place to watch a game, nothing jump starts tradition and student engagement (and student engagement is the vital to our long term success) like an on campus stadium.

That said, I have to admit that this would have been one sweet ass set up.

image-jpg.9280

I'm not so sure it would be. Ask Pitt, Miami, or USF how sweet it is playing in a half full pro stadium.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure it would be. Ask Pitt, Miami, or USF how sweet it is playing in a half full pro stadium.
Or UConn how it is playing in a quarter full college stadium.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pendergast would have done just as much as this joker has done.

Pendergast was an embarrassment. He didn't even monitor. The less said about him the better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not sure what the parking situation would be for an NFL stadium in Hartford by the river right off the highway, but that's a fair question.

Tailgate across the river and go to the game by water taxi. Would have been awesome.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Not sure what the parking situation would be for an NFL stadium in Hartford by the river right off the highway, but that's a fair question.
I think the parking was going to be on the other side of river and there was going to be a pedestrian bridge.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's not true at all. UCONN was getting a stadium. That's guaranteed

They were getting a stadium for years. Only it never happened. Until the snub.

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
Of course that's never been the argument that was made in Warde's defense but sure if you want to make up a new one, fine. The argument at the time which has been firmly debunked since was that FSU and its little friend Clenson threatened to leave. They weren't going anywhere. UConn was penciled into the ACC slot. Warde and Susan mishandled it. Jurich did not. Susan has many other qualities to balance off that whiff. Warde not so much. Other than hockey name a program that's improved on his watch. Or one with a brighter future.

The problem that most of us have is that you act like you were there and saw the votes and they were in our favor until Jurich changed everyone's mind. There is no evidence that BC, Pitt, Cuse, FSU, Clemson, Miami were ever on our side.

Reaction Score
And I'm not saying Warde did all of the right things. I'm just of the opinion that it wouldn't have mattered if he had. Which means I can't blame him for this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
..or Temple. Yeah I know, but having the stadium right by the river with access to the waterfront is one nice design.

Reaction Score
In a attempt to get the thread on track...

I now am officially curious why the would release a tease like this on april 3 and than nothing since then. Either 1) they were going to make some announcement relatively soon after that but the timetable has been changed for some reason or 2) they purposefully wanted this much time between the tease and the next communication. If its 1) I'm hopeful. If its 2) I think it was the wrong approach.

Reaction Score

I now am officially curious why the would release a tease like this on april 3 and than nothing since then. Either 1) they were going to make some announcement relatively soon after that but the timetable has been changed for some reason or 2) they purposefully wanted this much time between the tease and the next communication. If its 1) I'm hopeful. If its 2) I think it was the wrong approach.
.Delaney forgot to tell Warde that The B1G uniform logo is on backorder

Reaction Score
If we actually got a P5 invite we would've known about that already...

Reaction Score
And I'm not saying Warde did all of the right things. I'm just of the opinion that it wouldn't have mattered if he had. Which means I can't blame him for this.
And I'm not saying it was guaranteed we get in but I have the opposite view on his performance. It was ours to lose if we didn't perform, and we didn't perform. Warde and Susan recognized far too late that it was slipping away and reacted far too slowly. As I said, Susan had many other pluses. She muffed a huge deal I think in part by relying on Warde. Warde has no pluses to balance such a big fumble. I hope he goes soon either by his choice or UConn's.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The video was some offseason fodder. Fretting over the timing of the new uni unveil, to me, doesn't really serve much purpose. We will all be excited and dissect it and post about it and complain about it even if they run on the field with them for the first time during the Nova game. Tl;dr... There's no need they need to be unveiled April 20. Good things come to those who wait. Or something.

Reaction Score
And I'm not saying it was guaranteed we get in but I have the opposite view on his performance. It was ours to lose if we didn't perform, and we didn't perform. Warde and Susan recognized far too late that it was slipping away and reacted far too slowly. As I said, Susan had many other pluses. She muffed a huge deal I think in part by relying on Warde. Warde has no pluses to balance such a big fumble. I hope he goes soon either by his choice or UConn's.

With him, it seems like we're headed in the right direction... gotta disagree with you on that one. Coach P wasn't his call... He gave him a shot when he took over and he moved on from him....... this ain't big boy football yet bro, but we're moving in that direction.. We still have work to do to get there.. Hoping soon...

Reaction Score
With him, it seems like we're headed in the right direction... gotta disagree with you on that one. Coach P wasn't his call... He gave him a shot when he took over and he moved on from him.. this ain't big boy football yet bro, but we're moving in that direction.. We still have work to do to get there.. Hoping soon...

I think getting into a bowl this year will do a lot with the perception of UCONN. The woman's bball looks to win 4 straight, Men's bball should rebound this year, UCONN is doing really well in the Olympic sports and academically we are one of the best. I think even a losing season, but being competitive in every game and pulling off a couple surprise wins like UCF last year will do wonders with perception of UCONN.

Reaction Score
I think getting into a bowl this year will do a lot with the perception of UCONN. The woman's bball looks to win 4 straight, Men's bball should rebound this year, UCONN is doing really well in the Olympic sports and academically we are one of the best. I think even a losing season, but being competitive in every game and pulling off a couple surprise wins like UCF last year will do wonders with perception of UCONN.
+1000

Reaction Score
Of course that's never been the argument that was made in Warde's defense but sure if you want to make up a new one, fine. The argument at the time which has been firmly debunked since was that FSU and its little friend Clenson threatened to leave. They weren't going anywhere. UConn was penciled into the ACC slot. Warde and Susan mishandled it. Jurich did not. Susan has many other qualities to balance off that whiff. Warde not so much. Other than hockey name a program that's improved on his watch. Or one with a brighter future.

Exactly how did "Warde and Susan mishandle it.?" The only reason I'm asking is that you write with such assurance. The type of assurance that indicates inside knowledge. It also indicates that you know what SH and/or WM could have done; the exact steps they could have taken to cement UCONN's place in the ACC.

Maybe you're correct in feeling that FSU and Clemson were bluffing. Are you absolutely correct in assuming that other ACC schools were willing to call that bluff? And as long as we are dealing with "absolutes," exactly what could SH and/or WM done to change the opinions of Flipper and Shalala or the negative reactions (no vote, but opinions count) of Pitt and Cuse?

(Don't say WM should have abandoned/neglected already pissed-off (by Hathaway) Boosters in the Bahamas. That's a killing-the-bird-and-bush non-starter.)

If you want to believe a loudmouth, self-aggrandizing Jurich, that's fine. But the fact that not even the most ardent anti-UCONN "Journalists," like Jacobs or his cohorts, have blamed UCONN or produced any evidence that shows UCONN failed in any way. Believe me, if there had been evidence of Athletic Department inaction/negligence/ignorance, our Connecticut members of the 4th Estate would have been in full Pulitzer search mode . On the contrary, Jacobs' column pretty much concluded that UCONN never had a chance and that the people that had UCONN "penciled-in" were media types that seemed to lack political and situational awareness. The same media went from "UCONN's the one" to "reasons why UCONN was never the one."

Now, the thing is, you may be correct. Louisville instead of UCONN might be a f'ck-up of monumental proportions on the part of UCONN's management and `State's Politicians. If that's the case, tell us the who/what/where/when in terms of both what did, and what should have happened. WM and SH would probably like to know as well. The only reason I'm asking is,again, the assurance with which you speak/write about Warde's failures. All I can surmise is that you know stuff that most of us don't.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if FSU and Clemson were actually leaving. It matters that they had muscle in the ACC. The perception that there was a chance they'd bolt for the B12 probably didn't hurt, but it wasn't the only reason they prevailed over the Carolina-based bball schools. Once they decided to throw their weight around UConn had a much steeper hill to climb.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Actually let me amend that. Once FSU threw their weight around, they made Jurich a nonfactor and let him take a victory lap and look good in front of his president. Probably the same thing went down when Swofford was going to invite Pitt and UConn, FSU made their opinion known and then when they took Cuse instead, they were happy to let DeFillipo strut around like it was his idea. Nice way to pad your resume (though in the end it wasn't enough to save Flipper's job).

Reaction Score

Thanks for at least attempting to bring it back on topic. I'm left scratching my head about what's going on as well.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I'd have preferred an on campus stadium to East Hartford. Even though the Rent is great place to watch a game, nothing jump starts tradition and student engagement (and student engagement is the vital to our long term success) like an on campus stadium.

That said, I have to admit that this would have been one sweet ass set up.

image-jpg.9280
It would have been cool being (actually) in Hartford. But two points 1. tailgating and the work we've all done to create a kick-ass tailgating environment that rivals some SEC schools would have been non-exsistant and suffered greatly (both in downtown and in Storrs) and 2. this would have been an NFL facility first, not a UConn facility. We would have been little brother to the Patriots, treated as such, and thus the stadium itself would have reflected that. College football shouldn't be played in NFL stadiums, terrible game environments (ie: UMass; Temple; USF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom