Uconn Football Tweet April 3 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Uconn Football Tweet April 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Did you guys watch what Jurich did? Compare his performance with Warde's. When I say that to pro Warde guys they usually say things like, "well Jurich is the best" or "Warde was new," as if of course UConn can't expect its AD to be "the best." Being new isn't an excuse either. I expect UConn to have the best AD. Once you have that job you have the responsibility that goes with it whether you've had it for 10 minutes or 10 years.

How about Jurich has a football program with multiple BCS bids and wins? And more fan support. And more money.

Reaction Score
How about Jurich has a football program with multiple BCS bids and wins? And more fan support. And more money.

And a successful men's and women's bball team. Perception is reality and at that time Louisville looked like the best candidate. Regardless of how much begging, negotiating, phone call making etc... Warde did, Louisville was the only choice to make both Tobacco Road and the FSU, Clemson combo happy.

Reaction Score
By every account except in Connecticut Louisville was not even in consideration until Jurich began his offensive. Except for the hometown crowd, who have provided a lukewarm defense, everyone says Jurich kicked our butts in his sales job. Believe what you want I guess. I said at the time he should have been fired on the spot. I still think that. He was the responsible guy and he muffed a done deal. Anyplace else he's out. The FS U Clemson stuff has been debunked time and time again. Texas didn't want them in the B12. The SEC didn't want Clemson and Florida opposed FSU. Where were they going? The NESCAC?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
By every account except in Connecticut Louisville was not even in consideration until Jurich began his offensive. Except for the hometown crowd, who have provided a lukewarm defense, everyone says Jurich kicked our butts in his sales job. Believe what you want I guess. I said at the time he should have been fired on the spot. I still think that. He was the responsible guy and he muffed a done deal. Anyplace else he's out. The FS U Clemson stuff has been debunked time and time again. Texas didn't want them in the B12. The SEC didn't want Clemson and Florida opposed FSU. Where were they going? The NESCAC?

The FSU stuff has been debunked? Really? They wanted UConn over UofL?

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
Did you guys watch what Jurich did? Compare his performance with Warde's. When I say that to pro Warde guys they usually say things like, "well Jurich is the best" or "Warde was new," as if of course UConn can't expect its AD to be "the best." Being new isn't an excuse either. I expect UConn to have the best AD. Once you have that job you have the responsibility that goes with it whether you've had it for 10 minutes or 10 years.

Louisville had a respected football program. We didn't.

Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
The FSU stuff has been debunked? Really? They wanted UConn over UofL?

Yeah. I've never heard that it was debunked. Except maybe in freescooter's mind.

Reaction Score

Wasn't (former) AD Whit Babcock pounding eh pavement, sending glossy photos and basically stalking the ACC, also? Didn't do the Bearcats any good, though Whit did get himself into the ACC as the new AD at Virginia Tech. Do how do you rank him for doing the things that Jurich did (less the shady financial figures regarding Louisville basketball revenue at the Yum! Center) and still failing?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
He's an easy scapegoat for not stopping the inevitable dumpster fire(s) that were lit before the ink was dry on his contract.

Yeah, he has been so great since taking the helm. He is out of hos element. Pendergast would have done just as much as this joker has done. He merely rides the parades he had nothing to do with. Plus he broke balls with KO. Dude's a poser. Wake up

Reaction Score
In summary, regarding WM, any success UConn has had during his tenure he had nothing to do with, and all the shortcomings UConn has suffered he's had everything to do with. Got it.

It is pretty clear that for the Warde haters, the only accomplishment that might change their perception is UConn getting into a P5, but I'm pretty certain most of those posters will credit someone else when (not if) that day comes, and/or b1tch it took too long - while throwing in a monitoring donut joke in the commentary. I mean Jack Nicklaus won every tournament he ever entered and never shanked a drive or missed a makable putt. Sinatra hit every note perfectly at every performance.... and their success was immediate.

Forget that fundraising got back on track after years of neglect, he has built solid relationships with the biggest donors (he understands the concept of "investor relations") and courted and brought in new substantial donors, raised funds for a BB facility that had been stalled for a decade, handled the Ollie situation well (I realize opinions will always vary on this, it's subjective), built a strong relationship with Geno, got UConn into HE while hiring a top coach and getting a new barn to be built on campus, getting some SEC, B1G, and ACC home and homes on the future schedules for FB (and people should appreciate how difficult that is as UConn is not a "recruiting destination" where teams get an added benefit by coming here). Diaco hire is too early to judge, but I've been critical of BD to date, hope I'm proven wrong on this one

He does need to get us in a P5. It's not 100% in his control, but he needs to position UConn as the most viable option out there. He can't control geography and DMA, but he can control coaches, facilities, and appearances of a complete athletic department.

He also needs to fix "helmet-gate".

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Kraft is a snake, but without his snub The Rent doesn't get approved and built practically overnight.

That's not true at all. UCONN was getting a stadium. That's guaranteed

Reaction Score
That's not true at all. UCONN was getting a stadium. That's guaranteed

They were supposed to share it with the Patriots in Hartford, right? That was the "plan" at least as I recall.

image.jpg

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not saying I'm not looking forward to new uniforms or helmets because I am, but delay in time from the little teaser to now has really killed any built up excitement or momentum towards to release.

Liked the video, even though it was cheesy, but come on now... reveal the dam things.

Reaction Score
Yeah, he has been so great since taking the helm. He is out of hos element. Pendergast would have done just as much as this joker has done. He merely rides the parades he had nothing to do with. Plus he broke balls with KO. Dude's a poser. Wake up

Yeah, hard to argue with such strong arguments as "wake up" and "Dude's a poser". :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Explain Rutgers.

Hard to believe someone would remain this intentionally obtuse. Why pretend you don't understand why would a conference looking to expand into DC/NY would take Maryland/Rutgers?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
LOL. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
They were supposed to share it with the Patriots in Hartford, right? That was the "plan" at least as I recall.

View attachment 9280
I'd have preferred an on campus stadium to East Hartford. Even though the Rent is great place to watch a game, nothing jump starts tradition and student engagement (and student engagement is the vital to our long term success) like an on campus stadium.

That said, I have to admit that this would have been one sweet ass set up.

image-jpg.9280

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'd have preferred an on campus stadium to East Hartford. Even though the Rent is great place to watch a game, nothing jump starts tradition and student engagement (and student engagement is the vital to our long term success) like an on campus stadium.

That said, I have to admit that this would have been one sweet ass set up.

image-jpg.9280
True but what options would we have had for tailgating?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Agreed FCF, that's part of the charm of the Rent.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Warde picked Ollie and brought in Geno and the Field Hockey coach...for the most part the good things DID happen despite him. As for the FSU thing, No, they didn't favor UConn, but they weren't in a position to do anything about it. They were't leaving the ACCbecause there was noplace for them to go. That's what was debunked.

Reaction Score
They were't leaving the ACCbecause there was noplace for them to go. That's what was debunked.

So FSU did vote for UCONN over Louisville? Even if they weren't going to leave they weren't going to vote for us. So just because you can't leave the opposition is meaningless?

So your position is that the ACC football schools preferring Louisville had nothing to do with it, but rather it is 100% based on Jurich outplaying Warde. Got it.

Reaction Score
Of course that's never been the argument that was made in Warde's defense but sure if you want to make up a new one, fine. The argument at the time which has been firmly debunked since was that FSU and its little friend Clenson threatened to leave. They weren't going anywhere. UConn was penciled into the ACC slot. Warde and Susan mishandled it. Jurich did not. Susan has many other qualities to balance off that whiff. Warde not so much. Other than hockey name a program that's improved on his watch. Or one with a brighter future.

Reaction Score
True but what options would we have had for tailgating?

Not sure what the parking situation would be for an NFL stadium in Hartford by the river right off the highway, but that's a fair question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom