Uconn FB's 25 most devastating losses | The Boneyard

Uconn FB's 25 most devastating losses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the 09 Rutgers game is not #1 then the article isn't worth reading.

The UNC and WVU games from that year were also brutal.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
There's so much failure here. This thread is a failure. That list is a failure.

Shut it down

Reaction Score
Definitely disagree with the order, and I would have had the home loss to WMU as well as the road loss to Temple on the list.

Reaction Score
I just looked at the list. The 09 Rutgers game is not on there at all? And the 2 GT games from a decade ago are top 5?

Jrazz is right.

Shut the thread down. Shut it down now.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Any loss to Rutgers pisses me off... but definitely 09, like Jimmy mentioned. Any of the losses immediately after losing Jazz.

But one that's sticking out to me is losing to NC State in '03... I was listening to that one on the radio, was convinced that UConn was gonna pull it out... last second Orlovsky interception returned for a TD... I was so crushed. UConn definitely deserved a bowl bid that year...

Reaction Score
I was at the 2008 Rutgers loss in Jersey when the kicker hit the post, that and the 2009 RU loss are the worst I have been to. Might as well throw the 2010 RU loss in there as well, WTF.

Reaction Score
I was at the 2008 Rutgers loss in Jersey when the kicker hit the post, that and the 2009 RU loss are the worst I have been to. Might as well throw the 2010 RU loss in there as well, WTF.
=============
but yet we whipped the crap out of them w/ last years squad????

Reaction Score
As far as disappointing goes there are two that stand out big time to me......Losing leads in both games made it very disappointing......Losing to West Virginia in '09 the first game after JH passing, when we played our hearts out and nearly beat them for the first time ever and at their place for that matter. And the other was losing at Virginia in '07 by a point. I remember having control of that game, then going by a point late but driving and then a Keith Gray snap sailed over lorenzen's head for a loss of about 14 sealed the deal. We started off the year 5-0 and if we were 6-0 we really would have gotten some national acclaim, especially after a big road win.

Reaction Score
I still get mad from the Virginia 2007 game where the ball snapped over Lorenzen's head...

followed by the NC State game where that F"ING INTERCEPTION still haunts me

then the UNC game where we get called for holding in their End Zone then results in a safety

now for the loss that pissed me off but expected it, was the West Virginia 2007 game, "keep on scoring and scoring" (or something of that nature)

and just for pure insanity, any loss against Temple is an embarrassment.

Reaction Score
I only looked quick so I could be wrong, but outside of the top 2 the rest seemed to just be in order of oldest to most recent. Looks like the author either got lazy or his intention was never really to rank them in order, but just state the 25 worst defeats

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
West Virginia 2007 - blown out with an outright title on the line
Rutgers 2009 - Tim Brown game after Jazz's passing
Rutgers 2008 - Robbie Frey returning, I believe, two kickoffs to our own 1 yard line, missed FG
Rutgers 2010 - Late FG by Rutgers after HCRE takes the air out of the ball
West Virginia 2009 - Another crushing loss in the Jazz season, I didn't get to see the game because my Pop Pop was in the hospital (first game or second game I missed since I became a student in 2005), but I saw highlights and bits and pieces and had text message play by play and was crushed by the Devine TD
Oklahoma 2010 - Was a real chance to establish legitimacy and unfortunately we came up short.
Virginia 2007 - First loss of that first truly special UConn season. I forget who, but someone got holdings on the last drive to end the game in addition to snaps over Tyler's head.
West Virginia 2008 - Kashif Moore dropped for sure touchdown, seemed like team deflated after that
North Carolina 2008 - Awful game, with the safety getting called against us
Pittsburgh 2009 - beat Pitt all game, only to lose on a last second field goal
Vanderbilt 2011 - Just a disgusting show by the offense in a game we should have won, not as significant as the others but still bothersome

There are probably more, but those are the ones that really stand out to me as being crushing. The kind of losses that ruin your whole week and you still think about them years later.

Reaction Score
West Virginia 2007 - blown out with an outright title on the line
Rutgers 2009 - Tim Brown game after Jazz's passing
Rutgers 2008 - Robbie Frey returning, I believe, two kickoffs to our own 1 yard line, missed FG
Rutgers 2010 - Late FG by Rutgers after HCRE takes the air out of the ball
West Virginia 2009 - Another crushing loss in the Jazz season, I didn't get to see the game because my Pop Pop was in the hospital (first game or second game I missed since I became a student in 2005), but I saw highlights and bits and pieces and had text message play by play and was crushed by the Devine TD
Oklahoma 2010 - Was a real chance to establish legitimacy and unfortunately we came up short.
Virginia 2007 - First loss of that first truly special UConn season. I forget who, but someone got holdings on the last drive to end the game in addition to snaps over Tyler's head.
West Virginia 2008 - Kashif Moore dropped for sure touchdown, seemed like team deflated after that
North Carolina 2008 - Awful game, with the safety getting called against us
Pittsburgh 2009 - beat Pitt all game, only to lose on a last second field goal
Vanderbilt 2011 - Just a disgusting show by the offense in a game we should have won, not as significant as the others but still bothersome

There are probably more, but those are the ones that really stand out to me as being crushing. The kind of losses that ruin your whole week and you still think about them years later.

I don't know how anyone could put WVU 07 on that list. They were, when on, as good a team as anyone in the country. And that day they manhandled us, they were on.

WVU '09, after Jazz's death, was worse than the RU game a week later. The wound was rawer, the game was more important and most importantly, the quality of football was better and we deserved to win. The RU game the next week, despite the dramatic ending, we were playing catch up the whole time to a mediocre squad.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't know how anyone could put WVU 07 on that list. They were, when on, as good a team as anyone in the country. And that day they manhandled us, they were on.

WVU '09, after Jazz's death, was worse than the RU game a week later. The would was rawer, the game was more important and most importantly, the quality of football was better and we deserved to win. The RU game the next week, despite the dramatic ending, we were playing catch up the whole time to a mediocre squad.

Jeez, maybe because it was the biggest game in school history up until that point, an outright conference title was on the line and we got blasted by 45 on ABC and it became a running joke with "West Virginia just scored again...".

I'm sorry, I think we all recognized how good that WVU team was, but the loss was pretty crushing nonetheless, especially given how we scored the first TD of the game and I really thought we may have pulled some Husky Magic.

I wasn't really ranking my games either, but if you want to split hairs over someone's subjective list, be my guest.

Reaction Score
Jeez, maybe because it was the biggest game in school history up until that point, an outright conference title was on the line and we got blasted by 45 on ABC and it became a running joke with "West Virginia just scored again...".

I'm sorry, I think we all recognized how good that WVU team was, but the loss was pretty crushing nonetheless, especially given how we scored the first TD of the game and I really thought we may have pulled some Husky Magic.

I wasn't really ranking my games either, but if you want to split hairs over someone's subjective list, be my guest.

The whole thread is total subjective opinion. You are entitled to yours. I was providing mine.

To me, a loss isn't devastating when a much better team beats you. That covers WVU 07, the Fiesta Bowl and both the losses to Georgia Tech that the article lists.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have never left the stadium angrier than I did after the horses*** safety call in the end zone against UNC. Nothing is close to that.

2003 BCU game is up there too. By that point, we knew this would be the only game UConn would ever play against Boston College at the Rent. There was a bizarre clock malfunction in the first half, where the clock stopped on 1 second a good 3 seconds before the play was over, giving BCU time to kick a FG. Then Keron Henry drops a sure TD catch on the 10 yard line that turns into a missed FG. UConn loses by 10, with the ball, deep in BCU's end.

The Rutgers game where Edsall spent most of the second half on our own 1 yard line was pretty infuriating.

Notre Dame would have been up there if we had lost that one. UConn was absolutely dominating the line of scrimmage in the second half but somehow ended up in OT.

The entire 2009 season was frustrating. That was UConn's best team ever, and we kept coughing it up against inferior opponents. Cincinnati was the only opponent that year where I felt UConn was the inferior team.

2003 NC State was a heartbreaker.

Any loss to Greg Robinson deserves mention, especially when a made UConn FG is called a miss.

The 1 point loss to Virginia was something out of an after school special it was so ridiculous. DJ fumbles going in, then, on the final drive, UConn is within 10 yards of FG range and fumbles 2 snaps. BTW, if UConn won that game, it would have played in a BCS bowl because Illinois would not have been eligible.

2005 Louisville was frustrating in the sense that it felt like 15 degrees in the stadium but Hernandez was doing just enough to make me think he might pull it out, so I got to witness the fumble late and realize that no, he wasn't going to pull it out.

Reaction Score
I still get mad from the Virginia 2007 game where the ball snapped over Lorenzen's head...

followed by the NC State game where that F"ING INTERCEPTION still haunts me

then the UNC game where we get called for holding in their End Zone then results in a safety

now for the loss that pissed me off but expected it, was the West Virginia 2007 game, "keep on scoring and scoring" (or something of that nature)

and just for pure insanity, any loss against Temple is an embarrassment.

I couldn't agree with you more on the 2007 Virginia game, when that ball sailed over Tyler's head I lost it, they were supposed to go with the silent count, but for some reason changed it, at least we blew them out when they came back.

Both loses against UNC were terrible.

Reaction Score
Just thought of another one, the Rutgers game where Tony C (2008) is normally a very accurate kicker missed a 42 yarder FG that was so easy I could have made it, and unfortunately that turned out to be the last game of his career as a Husky and FHCRE ended up benching him for a certain kicker named Dave Teggart :)

Reaction Score
Cincinatti 2011. Post season on the line. Handoff to the wrong team in our own endzone. Season over.

Reaction Score
To me the most devastating losses are where you have the game in hand (or at least a really good chance to win it) and then do something monumentally stupid to lose it. Then take those games and rank them by order of importance.

1) RU 2009
2) UNC 2009
3) UVA 2007
4) RU 2010
5) Vandy 2011

Nelson's right. The 2009 team was our best ever. Obviously the Jazz tragedy was a uniquely adverse situation, and the way the team came together in the last six games was the program's greatest triumph, but they also had a real chance to go 10-2.

I can't put the WVU game from 2009 on the list. I remember feeling nothing but pride after that game, despite the result.

Reaction Score
The three blocked punt game against UNC.

We were 5-0 heading in and just as good as UNC. But three blocked punts sealed out fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom