UConn - East Carolina Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn - East Carolina Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's hard to put your bench in when they only suited up 7 players.
Oh good point. they were decimated with injures this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My notes on a scorecard from today's games -

1. Butler is having trouble holding on to the ball on the block after receiving an entry pass. She either holds it too long and gets stripped, or gets her shot blocked from behind. Other teams do not fear her. They collapse on her when she gets the ball. Too many times this creates a turn over. That has to be corrected before next season.

2. It doesn't appear that Geno trusts Chong. She did not enter the game until late in the second half. She is the heir apparent to Jefferson's position next season? That scenario is looking less likely with each passing game.

3. Morgan Tuck appears to have shaken off the "funk" shes been in since she returned from her two week rest period. She looked very good today. She drove the lane with success, as well as shot well facing the basket from various distances.

4. Defense wins games. I'm talking about good effective "1 and done" defense. I'm talkin' in your face every time you touch the ball dense. We're going to turn you over type defense. We're going to get at least 5-6 steals a game defense. I watched the first half of the Miami - Notre Dame game this morning. Miami lost by 11 points. Nobody went to the offensive boards for Miami. Miami had too many unforced turnovers. Too many trips down count with no points (turnovers). They let Brianna Turner do what ever she wanted on the block. No one could stop her. No one fronted her. Every time time she got the ball on an entry pass, she either scored, or was fouled and went to the line. Miami allowed ND to have clean open uncontested looks at the basket throughout the game. I'd like to say poor rotation, I can't. How about NO rotation. I guess I've been watching UConn for too long. We expect our girls (and they do) to play defense a certain way. Miami's defense is horrid.

5. I have to laugh when I read or hear UConn haters or detractors say that if UConn was is one of the more "competitive" conferences, things would be different. I don't think so. Who is dominating the ACC? Notre Dame. Who dominates ND, UConn. Who dominates the SEC? South Carolina. Who dominates SC? UConn. #2 Mississippi State has 5 conference loses. Who in THAT conference would be UConn? Who dominates the BIG 10? Maryland and Ohio State. Aaahhh, You're starting to get the the picture.

Baylor is running ruff shod over the BIG 12. I'm pretty sure we can beat them. We'll probably get that chance next month. Big 12 #2 Texas (#5 nationally) was completely embarrassed by Baylor recently. Texas did not do anything on either end of the court that suggested they deserved their ranking. There's one common thread between ALL of the other teams that are dominating those "P-5" conferences, None of them can beat UConn. The only difference between playing in the AAC, SEC, BIG 10 or any of the P-5 conferences is that we'd just be beating different teams. "

Out west, Stanford (24-7) lost to Washington 73-65 in Pac-12 tournament play. There's a beer commercial that says........"Don't let the smooth taste fool ya", and don't believe the hype. Don't ever let anyone blow smoke up your sleeve. UConn would be just as dominant in ANY other conference in WCBB.

6. That Syracuse - Louisville game could have been won by either team. Syracuse just got some breaks down the stretch. Louisville could have just as easily won.......missed shots and turnovers in the last 2 minutes.

That's all I got.................Carnac out. :cool:

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
It's hard to put your bench in when they only suited up 7 players.

Yes they were short handed. It would have been nice if she backed off the pressure though before the last possesion.

Reaction Score
KLS is a really really good player. Ahead by a lot in maturity and the knowledge of the game. You can see she sees things before they happen and there's not that many that have that ability. Really impressed with her maturity and overall skills - passing, left hand, defensive positioning really good stuff for a freshman. In many ways she's ahead of the great ones's from UConn this early, not overall skill but natural instincts.

Reaction Score
KLS is a really really good player. Ahead by a lot in maturity and the knowledge of the game. You can see she sees things before they happen and there's not that many that have that ability. Really impressed with her maturity and overall skills - passing, left hand, defensive positioning really good stuff for a freshman. In many ways she's ahead of the great ones's from UConn this early, not overall skill but natural instincts.

I've been saying the same thing. Very special - seems like she is step ahead in the thought process of what to do.

Carnac

Reaction Score
That's a really dumb thing to write. Kentucky final four? Tennessee final four? Come on!!

That's nothing. Muffit told a reporter during a quick 30 second interview (on her way into the dressing room) at the half that she was not pleased with her team not getting the ball to Turner.
"That's got to change in the 2nd half. She's (Turner) is the best player in the country". She said that, but I really don't think she believes that for a moment. If she does...........me thinks ol' Muffet has been smokin' some of that wacky tobacky. :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score

And the good thing is that no matter how good she is now, she's still only a freshman. She'll be so much better next year.
She will improve drastically over the summer and again during the winter unofficial practices and pick-up games before official practice begins. Sophomores usually play better than freshmen, I wonder why? :eek:

Reaction Score
And the good thing is that no matter how good she is now, she's still only a freshman. She'll be so much better next year.
She will improve drastically over the summer and again during the winter unofficial practices and pick-up games before official practice begins. Sophomores usually play better than freshmen, I wonder why? :eek:

So true and this is the hope of Enoch, Adams and Larrier as well on the "other" team LOL

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I think Carolyn was drunk. Poor woman drinks all day..LOL

Yeah, and then I think I heard her say that Wilson & Coates were the most formidable front court duo in the country. Then again, I was in the kitchen cooking so I didn't throw anything at the tv when she said stupid things.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is a big advantage to be gained by playing in SoCal for MD or another of the powerhouses - the competition level is really strong and the coaching is solid and generally the teams are well balanced with D1 talent. TX may be pretty close, but I think a little less concentrated than SoCal. And NY used to be that way, but seems to have become a little diluted or in a down patch.
But that kind of training is different than what Collier faced in HS and I think it shows on the court.

Reaction Score
There is a big advantage to be gained by playing in SoCal for MD or another of the powerhouses - the competition level is really strong and the coaching is solid and generally the teams are well balanced with D1 talent. TX may be pretty close, but I think a little less concentrated than SoCal. And NY used to be that way, but seems to have become a little diluted or in a down patch.
But that kind of training is different than what Collier faced in HS and I think it shows on the court.

I don't think there's any doubt about that. But when it comes to understanding the game they way she does, sometimes you just can't teach that. You have it or you don't, and she HAS IT. With some proper weight gain she can be really special, she is already.

Reaction Score
I think Carolyn was drunk. Poor woman drinks all day..LOL

Seriously, speaking of really dumb things said...I'm watching the UK/SC game right now, with the absolute two worst announcers of all time- Caroline Peck and Paul Sunderland (hard to believe, but I swear, Sunderland sucks even more than Peck.)

But I disgress...In hyping SC and extolling their greatness and how Tiffany Mitchell was so incredibly key for SC, Peck tried to minimize the loss to UConn by declaring "Remember, Tiffany Mitchell didn't even play in the loss to UConn." Mitchell DID play in that game, for 39 minutes, you ridiculous homer, Peck. Peck is willing to make stuff up to compliment Mitchell- ohoh, better watch your back, Tiffany. :rolleyes:

Wow! The nonsense gets better!!!!!!! Peck just deliriously declared...
"If Carolina played like this when they played UConn, there would have been a different outcome!" GET REAL You dummy, Peck- SC couldn't have played like they are playing today against UConn, because UConn would not allow them to, because UK ain't no UConn. Not even close, you silly twit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's a great question and I'd love to know the answer. Were the starters left in till the end for ECU? I think they are one of the more physical teams in the league...

I remember last year's game at Gampel as one in which I was genuinely concerned for our kids' well-being. When Macy's assistant coaches, waterboys, and student assistants were acting very strangely- during timeouts, they would all form a protective barrier, a wall to prevent the UConn bench from checking out what was going on in the ECU huddle..as if UConn gave a hoot. And the faces on the UConn side were of amusement and "man, what are they doing?"

I also think ECU was troubled by the bad beating they took that day, I think Macy really thought her team could be competitive, attributing to Macy's pique and brusque handshake. (Geno didn't appear amused by ECU's chippy, thuggish play, either.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom