UConn Clearly Number One | The Boneyard

UConn Clearly Number One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With all due respect to Duke, UConn is clearly the best team, and the vote should be unanimous. If that North Carolina sports writer votes for Duke again, it's because he's a homer.

Reaction Score
Duke has a pretty good shot at knocking off UConn. It's in four weeks, and UConn likely won't have Mosqueda-Lewis or Tuck available, and it's at Cameron. If Duke ever had a chance to beat UConn, this is it. If they can't do it now then I have to say they could play a team of trained chimps and still not win.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
With all due respect to Duke, UConn is clearly the best team, and the vote should be unanimous. If that North Carolina sports writer votes for Duke again, it's because he's a homer.

where is the link that has the voters listed with their votes ?? thanks in advance

Reaction Score
We'll have to see if the way Duke plays can ever match up against the way UConn plays. I would agree with HoopsFan that this is the time, if there ever is a time. That said, I still like UConn's chances.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Duke has a pretty good shot at knocking off UConn. It's in four weeks, and UConn likely won't have Mosqueda-Lewis or Tuck available, and it's at Cameron. If Duke ever had a chance to beat UConn, this is it. If they can't do it now then I have to say they could play a team of trained chimps and still not win.

I'm much more optimistic. They haven't given a timeframe for KML. Indefinately doesn't mean a lengthy timeframe. And Tuck is out 4-6 weeks. There is a decent chance she will be ready for Duke.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
If ANY of us are going to beat you all, now is the time. Down to 7 players and very early in the season with rule changes, which is leading to lots of fouls.

I did not get to watch or listen to the game time chatter last night, i was working our men's game. However, based on what little I have read so far this morning, was not Freese's biggest mistake* not pounding the paint to try and further foul trouble and, make even shorter, the uconn bench? (Well, perhaps her biggest mistake was letting Walz get away).

Amended to say, * her biggest mistake last night

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If ANY of us are going to beat you all, now is the time. Down to 7 players and very early in the season with rule changes, which is leading to lots of fouls.

I did not get to watch or listen to the game time chatter last night, i was working our men's game. However, based on what little I have read so far this morning, was not Freese's biggest mistake* not pounding the paint to try and further foul trouble and, make even shorter, the uconn bench? (Well, perhaps her biggest mistake was letting Walz get away).

Amended to say, her biggest mistake last night

I thought it was a coaching fiasco on Freese's part not to recognize the potential for this strategy and not to so direct her team.
But, at that point, Alyssa was getting tired and frustrated so it might have not made a difference even if Steff had fouled out.

But you can sure that Penn State will make note of that approach and that Geno will have a counter.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Thomas messed up that strategy by being on fire from the outside during the first half. She shoulda known better. Left her coach in a bad spot.

Reaction Score
At full strength, yes, clearly #1. But the current team definitely has vulnerabilities. Now that penn st and others have game tape, they'll have time to prepare a strategy. We'll see.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Brenda signed a four year extension but did not include me in her plans. Before the game I opined right here on the BY that I expected her game plan to focus on getting the ball inside, especially to Thomas, and strive for a (potentially winning, I thought) combination of close-in shots/baskets, offensive rebounds off misses, and fouls on UConn's three bigs.

She ignored me and instead had Thomas come out firing from the perimeter, a strategy that looked good for about 24 minutes. Unfortunately for Brenda and Thomas, the game is played for 40 minutes.

Anyhow, she has a nice contract and I am left to posting would-be game plans.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
If that North Carolina sports writer votes for Duke again, it's because he's a homer.

As if there was any question in the 1st place :) of course he is a homer. Until Duke actually beats UConn there really isn't any question who is the better team.

Reaction Score
Penn St. may have film, but UConn has always been able to take away the other team's best option. Maggie Lucas is an excellent shooter, but she does not present the problems Alyssa Thomas does. She isn't overly strong, athletic and doesn't post up. UConn will rotate all their guards in coverage and wear her down. Where will the points come from then? I'll bet a year's salary that Bria does not go 0 for 11 from three, that the bigs play smarter and that we win by more than we beat Maryland.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Amended to say, her biggest mistake last night
I know the announcers said that and a number of people have posted similar things - but ... Maryland did take a lot of shots within 10 feet of the basket and had a lot of them blocked (9) - mostly in the second half. Hard to keep doing it when you can't get the rubber taste out of your mouth from all the basketballs coming back in your face. The biggest complaint was saying Thomas wasn't reacting to the switch in players guarding her - Lobo said ... when Kiah is guarding her she needs to be on the outside so she can drive past her, when Bria or BB is guarding her she should be posting up - valid if the rest of the court is well spaced, but Uconn bigs were sagging of MD bigs and clogging the middle a lot in the second half. At one point one of the announcers basically said a MD player should just plow into a Uconn player because they could afford to trade two for one on fouls or something like that. Glad that we actually had a basketball game and not a rugby match, but what do I know?

Reaction Score
I know the announcers said that and a number of people have posted similar things - but ... Maryland did take a lot of shots within 10 feet of the basket and had a lot of them blocked (9) - mostly in the second half. Hard to keep doing it when you can't get the rubber taste out of your mouth from all the basketballs coming back in your face. The biggest complaint was saying Thomas wasn't reacting to the switch in players guarding her - Lobo said ... when Kiah is guarding her she needs to be on the outside so she can drive past her, when Bria or BB is guarding her she should be posting up - valid if the rest of the court is well spaced, but Uconn bigs were sagging of MD bigs and clogging the middle a lot in the second half. At one point one of the announcers basically said a MD player should just plow into a Uconn player because they could afford to trade two for one on fouls or something like that. Glad that we actually had a basketball game and not a rugby match, but what do I know?

UCMiami- what are your thoughts on Rebecca as an analyst? I know I'll get slaughtered here by one of my picks - but I'll take Lawson and Peck over her. I love Rebecca it's just that I happen to disagree with how she looks at things. I don't disagree with her vehemently often just- I don't know. . . For example, how often do you hear an analyst suggest a player should make a certain play in order to fool the refs? It wasn't terrible what she said. Analysts sometimes say - make a play and force the ref to make a call. But this isn't what she said. Anyhow, I can never dislike her/ will always dig her.

As for Debbie A- I missed much of the game - though I saw the play you heard "one of the annoucers" suggest she try to force the foul. That was Rebecca. But I did hear the postgame - Debbie A looked depressed. This from a former ACC player and former ACC Lead Analyst. Anyhow, she suggested the ball didn't go inside enough, did she not? So it seems that MD tried to but UCONN was up to the challenge? So if Md did, what was Debbie talking about? Because she said this was a big disappointing loss for MD. Did she expect the ball to go to Thomas 100% of the time for the entire half? Maybe she did. Maybe that is a good strategy - I don't know.

As I said I missed most of the game. But it wouldn't suprose me that Debbie got it all wrong and just maybe had her ACC hat on- hoping . . . Anyhow- I'd be intersted on your take and others.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Duke is Dec 17. I'm not sure Tuck will be ready by then. I think that's about 5 weeks from when her surgery was actually done. I'd hate to see them bring her back early. But it's possible. I know they trainers will make the best decision. KML? No idea. from what i've read on here and elsewhere, that kind of nerve damage can heal in anywhere from a few weeks to never.

Reaction Score
I would've given the ball to thomas 100% of the time. She s a great player having a great game, and UConn had trouble matching up with her.

I see nothing wrong with telling a player to take the ball at a defender.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Duke is Dec 17. I'm not sure Tuck will be ready by then. I think that's about 5 weeks from when her surgery was actually done. I'd hate to see them bring her back early. But it's possible. I know they trainers will make the best decision. KML? No idea. from what i've read on here and elsewhere, that kind of nerve damage can heal in anywhere from a few weeks to never.
The surgery was arthroscopy to trim the meniscus. I had this surgery when I was in my 20's and was back to running in 3 weeks. I had it again 2 years ago and was back to unrestricted activity in 4 weeks with less cartilege, torn ACL, touch of arthritis and all.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The surgery was arthroscopy to trim the meniscus. I had this surgery when I was in my 20's and was back to running in 3 weeks. I had it again 2 years ago and was back to unrestricted activity in 4 weeks with less cartilege, torn ACL, touch of arthritis and all.
Oh well that's totally cool. But then again, you had Borg technology and nano-bytes to help with your recovery. Morgan has no such luck!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UCMiami- what are your thoughts on Rebecca as an analyst? I know I'll get slaughtered here by one of my picks - but I'll take Lawson and Peck over her. I love Rebecca it's just that I happen to disagree with how she looks at things. I don't disagree with her vehemently often just- I don't know. . . For example, how often do you hear an analyst suggest a player should make a certain play in order to fool the refs? It wasn't terrible what she said. Analysts sometimes say - make a play and force the ref to make a call. But this isn't what she said. Anyhow, I can never dislike her/ will always dig her.

As for Debbie A- I missed much of the game - though I saw the play you heard "one of the annoucers" suggest she try to force the foul. That was Rebecca. But I did hear the postgame - Debbie A looked depressed. This from a former ACC player and former ACC Lead Analyst. Anyhow, she suggested the ball didn't go inside enough, did she not? So it seems that MD tried to but UCONN was up to the challenge? So if Md did, what was Debbie talking about? Because she said this was a big disappointing loss for MD. Did she expect the ball to go to Thomas 100% of the time for the entire half? Maybe she did. Maybe that is a good strategy - I don't know.

As I said I missed most of the game. But it wouldn't suprose me that Debbie got it all wrong and just maybe had her ACC hat on- hoping . . . Anyhow- I'd be intersted on your take and others.
So ... I am not a fan of Peck but absolutely love Lawson - her knowledge and how she presents is really good, and to date she hasn't gotten lazy and fallen back on catch phrases - she actually watches the game and analyses what she sees and has watched enough games by teams and individual players that she can bring that historic context into her analysis. I really think she is one of the best analysts out there regardless of sport and I just hope she isn't stolen away from the women's game like others before her.
I will say that I really like Lobo as a court side reporter and am OK with her as an analyst but ... haven't ever liked her on game calls. I think she is as smart as Lawson but maybe not as articulate. I know that is not a popular opinion here. And another one is that i am not a big fan of Kara's either and have gotten weary of Meghan over the years (which is not surprising considering the numbers of games and shows she has done.)
I have high hopes for Kerith - she seems to avoid the really cringe worthy questions and moments and has done some good interviews.
I enjoyed the limited exposure I have gotten to Stephanie White on BTN and a few national/regional broadcasts.
I generally like Ward and Antonelli and Mowins though last night was not a great one for Debbie.

On the inside/outside question - in the second half Maryland was 8 - 24 on field goals, 1-5 on threes and Uconn had 7 blocks all of which I think were within 5 feet of the basket. So ... Maryland took 21 2 point shots and made 7 missing 14. That works out to Uconn blocking 50% of Maryland's 2 point misses and 33% of all their second half 2 point shots - pretty astounding numbers! If you subtracted mid range/long range twos from the equation the percentage of blocked shots within 10 feet of the basket is probably 50% and of misses something like 75%. And the number of fouls they drew on those inside shots in the second half on Uconn posts was 3.
I think they went inside quite a lot and when they did, they did not get fouled but did have their shots rejected - Uconn played really good defense on the inside in the second half - so if it wasn't working why do you want them to keep doing it? This also does not include at least two and maybe more turnovers they got when they did try and go inside.

Reaction Score

Wow.
They were doing invasive surgery way back then?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow.
They were doing invasive surgery way back then?

I had a torn cartilage surgery on my knee about two years before arthroscopic surgery was widespread - 2 weeks in hospital, 6 weeks on crutches, and about 6 months to really regain full strength/motion! Three years later a friend walked out of the office the same day for similar surgery - was I envious!

Reaction Score
... I'll bet a year's salary that Bria does not go 0 for 11 from three, that the bigs play smarter and that we win by more than we beat Maryland.

I'll bet my 45,000 bananas per annum!!
Noam Chimpsky
chimp3.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads