UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 75 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The video just points out, at the end, that Penders is looking for a certain type of player and not necessarily the All American players. He wants dirt dogs and guys willing to buy into his style. The point may be that for Penders' method of recruiting, offer lists are NOT important. Keep in mind I'm just a 3rd party here taking at guess at what the video means to the conversation.

Reaction Score
The video just points out, at the end, that Penders is looking for a certain type of player and not necessarily the All American players. He wants dirt dogs and guys willing to buy into his style. The point may be that for Penders' method of recruiting, offer lists are NOT important. Keep in mind I'm just a 3rd party here taking at guess at what the video means to the conversation.

That is pretty much a good summary of how UConn baseball has done recruiting during the years while Coach Penders has been in charge of the program.

Reaction Score

Guys, nobody’s arguing the coaching staff’s recruiting style or the player(s) they seek out. They’ve had continued success doing so. That being said, as a 3rd party voice as well, the entire program doesn’t need to change the foundation of what got them there. But the underlying truth is talent wins out in the long run when it comes to championships. To quote your very own Jim Calhoun, “ never mistake talent for effort” and he couldn’t be any more accurate and truthful in that statement. Uconn baseball is and has been on the cusp, a few high end arms n bats is the difference. Not simply an Omaha appearance, but a CWS Title. As strictly a fan of the program, that’s the next step in my opinion. Again, that’s all it is but I think a fair and honest assessment.

Reaction Score

I stand by my thought on Offer Lists. They matter when it comes to what programs are offering the same players your program is considering. Nobody’s always correct or wrong in the evaluation, but it says a lot. Uconn doesn’t, and shouldn’t be offering based upon that alone, however, I think it’s only hurting Uconn or any other school that dismisses them.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
This is just a theory, but it may come down to the fact that the true high end players generally want to play in warm weather places and UConn and other cold weather schools may always be at a disadvantage. Now if we can enclose Elliott in a roof better than the nightmare in Tampa, that may even the playing field. Until then....

Reaction Score
It can be disadvantage, no doubt about it. CWS appearances and continued dominance in the northeast could offset that for the small number of players that could be recruited. The Paul Skenes and Hurston Waldrep type arms are the difference. Uconn had one in Crawford, it didn’t work out due to injury. Idk the answers as to how to get those to Storrs annually, but I’m confident that if everything else remains status quo as a program. CWS Title is in reach if that’s figured out. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen w/out em, but again talent does win out in sports.

Reaction Score
I stand by my thought on Offer Lists. They matter when it comes to what programs are offering the same players your program is considering. Nobody’s always correct or wrong in the evaluation, but it says a lot. Uconn doesn’t, and shouldn’t be offering based upon that alone, however, I think it’s only hurting Uconn or any other school that dismisses them.
Some of our best players last year were a pitcher from a D3, a pitcher from an ivy league school, a first baseman from a D2, a second baseman from a school that folded their D1 baseball team, and a 3rd baseman from a mid major.

All of those guys I reference were talented and not because of their offer list or lack there of.

Reaction Score
It can be disadvantage, no doubt about it. CWS appearances and continued dominance in the northeast could offset that for the small number of players that could be recruited. The Paul Skenes and Hurston Waldrep type arms are the difference. Uconn had one in Crawford, it didn’t work out due to injury. Idk the answers as to how to get those to Storrs annually, but I’m confident that if everything else remains status quo as a program. CWS Title is in reach if that’s figured out. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen w/out em, but again talent does win out in sports.
We have also had some great pitching prospects that were headed to Storrs but then got too good and were drafted. Michael Burrows, Frank Mozzicato and Owen Kellington come to mind. All New Englanders.

Reaction Score
Some of our best players last year were a pitcher from a D3, a pitcher from an ivy league school, a first baseman from a D2, a second baseman from a school that folded their D1 baseball team, and a 3rd baseman from a mid major.

All of those guys I reference were talented and not because of their offer list or lack there of.

I’m in no way trying to argue that talent doesn’t develop in different stages whether it’s HS ranks or thru juco or D3, at different times. However, what the offer lists show, is that many bright experienced knowledgeable people have a similar evaluation on a particular player…that matters in my opinion and it matters significantly.

Reaction Score
We have also had some great pitching prospects that were headed to Storrs but then got too good and were drafted. Michael Burrows, Frank Mozzicato and Owen Kellington come to mind. All New Englanders.

That’s a really good point and it’s unfortunate but that’s the reality especially, as u mentioned, in New England. The number of those arms are scarce so when u lose em to the draft it becomes a larger loss considering the ceiling with them in the program for 3 years.

Reaction Score
That’s a really good point and it’s unfortunate but that’s the reality especially, as u mentioned, in New England. The number of those arms are scarce so when u lose em to the draft it becomes a larger loss considering the ceiling with them in the program for 3 years.
Good discussion. My opinion only but UConn will have extreme difficulty landing the "blue chip" all-american type high schoolers. The weather and facilities are the drivers. Re: weather If they ever shifted the college season forward that would help a bit but not in the cards at present. Re: Facilities When I went to the regional in June Florida's facilities blew my mind. The fact is it's at a different level. But Uconn can (and is) working around that. Instructive is Springer and Crawford. Although both were drafted out of high school (Springer 48th round Reggie in the 30s) they were lateish bloomers (Reggie more than Springer). Both were from the NE part of the US. So for Uconn, it's critical to try and find those regional guys that project high then jump in and nab them. Another example is Mozzicato. Under the radar guy and they got him but unfortunately, he blew up beyond what anyone thought was imaginable and he never arrived at Storrs. But still a good example of what can be done. So I think it's a good formula (not easy but doable) that's supplemented with the "dirt dogs" as @Fairfield_1st said. Have to be realistic about landing the creme de la creme. Charboneau brings hope but low odds he ever makes it to Storrs and that's the exception, not the rule. Different situation than Mozzicato. Good for recruiting, however.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good discussion. My opinion only but UConn will have extreme difficulty landing the "blue chip" all-american type high schoolers. The weather and facilities are the drivers. Re: weather If they ever shifted the college season forward that would help a bit but not in the cards at present. Re: Facilities When I went to the regional in June Florida's facilities blew my mind. The fact is it's at a different level. But Uconn can (and is) working around that. Instructive is Springer and Crawford. Although both were drafted out of high school (Springer 48th round Reggie in the 30s) they were lateish bloomers (Reggie more than Springer). Both were from the NE part of the US. So for Uconn, it's critical to try and find those regional guys that project high then jump in and nab them. Another example is Mozzicato. Under the radar guy and they got him but unfortunately, he blew up beyond what anyone thought was imaginable and he never arrived at Storrs. But still a good example of what can be done. So I think it's a good formula (not easy but doable) that's supplemented with the "dirt dogs" as @Fairfield_1st said. Have to be realistic about landing the creme de la creme. Charboneau brings hope but low odds he ever makes it to Storrs and that's the exception, not the rule. Different situation than Mozzicato. Good for recruiting, however.
All good points. I was blown away when I went to Gainesville for a game as well. It rivals AAA stadiums. Need to focus on the NE players and hope they make it to Storrs but wish them well if they blow up and don't.

Reaction Score
I’m sure the facilities were impressive. The scenery screams Baseball. The talent there did as well! I agree w/ both the responses here regarding NE players and some legit talent up here, however, there’s not enough. I think there’s some really good players down south and out west who are buried behind 1st rd talent in some big time programs…these players committed to SEC schools or PAC 12 schools out of tradition or name alone. UConn is a big time program, but it lacks the trust and perception that comes w/ that nationally….which is recruiting. Literally 4-5 players could be the difference. The blue chip recruit does not need to become the identity of the program, however, u need some blue chip talent on the roster in addition to what u develop and sign during typical recruiting cycles.

Reaction Score
“Blue Chip” recruits in baseball are difficult to define for me because of the way the draft works. You would have to consider guys like Frank Mozzicato a “blue chip” recruit if he is going top 10 in the draft but recruiting him didn’t really help the team because he was too highly regarded.

Consider that there were over 100 high schoolers drafted this year. Isn’t the top 100 basically the “blue chip” guys? By that standard there are almost none of the guys of that standard available to any college baseball team, not just UConn.

Reaction Score
I’m sure the facilities were impressive. The scenery screams Baseball. The talent there did as well! I agree w/ both the responses here regarding NE players and some legit talent up here, however, there’s not enough. I think there’s some really good players down south and out west who are buried behind 1st rd talent in some big time programs…these players committed to SEC schools or PAC 12 schools out of tradition or name alone. UConn is a big time program, but it lacks the trust and perception that comes w/ that nationally….which is recruiting. Literally 4-5 players could be the difference. The blue chip recruit does not need to become the identity of the program, however, u need some blue chip talent on the roster in addition to what u develop and sign during typical recruiting cycles
Nothing stopping them from doing that. They have had much better success out West (Cali-See Elliott Glynn) than down South. However, there is more talent in the Northeast than most people believe. An example is the catcher Shliger from Danbury who went to Maryland (Maryland has tapped CT a lot by the way). Another example is Lorusso from Monroe who went to Maryland. Both impact players at the Big 10 level who earned all-league honors, etc. 3rd example is Cam Maldonaldo from Wolcott who's at Northeastern. Had a big freshman year with a huge ceiling. My point is the pond is stocked in the Northeast. That has to be your bread and butter. Then shot take in the West and South selectively because you need to have a decent hit rate and time matters. Uconn has to do more projecting than the top Power 5 schools. Fact of life.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would also like to see Uconn have more success in Fairfield County from a recruiting standpoint. I thought when LJ Mazzilli (Greenwich) came to Storrs that would have opened the floodgates a bit. It didn't. Casparius (Westport) went to North Carolina before transferring to Uconn. The 2 guys above I mentioned from Maryland - Fairfield County. I have no clue how much effort they are putting into recruiting down there. But there is a lot of talent. That's a local area that can be tapped with high-level talent. I wish I knew more about Uconn's strategic approach to recruiting (the finer details) but I don't.

Reaction Score
Yes that’s exactly the point. The Top Talent w/in CT doesn’t look to Uconn as it’s 1st option if college ball is the route. The Mozzicato’s are rare…the amount of “under the radar” turn into top 10 picks is the exception. There are a lot of very good players that will never be recruited by or end up in Storrs that have northeast roots… the Harvey’s, Casparius’ are misses that can’t be misses anymore…outside of those level CT talents, when recruiting out west/south specifically hone in on the 1 or 2 arms/bats that bring the talent and ceiling that those 2 guys did. Otherwise, it’s Northeast domination, not national where I think they can get to. Certainly competing on that stage would be realistic. I’ll keep referencing the 22’ team b/c I believe the pieces in place on that particular team can happen more frequently w/ a couple of those type of players. Who what where how is always the key. If it was that easy, it’d have been done by many programs. I just think Uconn is that close

Reaction Score
Yes that’s exactly the point. The Top Talent w/in CT doesn’t look to Uconn as it’s 1st option if college ball is the route. The Mozzicato’s are rare…the amount of “under the radar” turn into top 10 picks is the exception. There are a lot of very good players that will never be recruited by or end up in Storrs that have northeast roots… the Harvey’s, Casparius’ are misses that can’t be misses anymore…outside of those level CT talents, when recruiting out west/south specifically hone in on the 1 or 2 arms/bats that bring the talent and ceiling that those 2 guys did. Otherwise, it’s Northeast domination, not national where I think they can get to. Certainly competing on that stage would be realistic. I’ll keep referencing the 22’ team b/c I believe the pieces in place on that particular team can happen more frequently w/ a couple of those type of players. Who what where how is always the key. If it was that easy, it’d have been done by many programs. I just think Uconn is that close
I responded to this comment of yours: " I agree w/ both the responses here regarding NE players and some legit talent up here, however, there’s not enough." I disagree with that and gave examples. Also will give you MacKenzie from Wallingford who went to Fordham and now playing minor league ball. There's more than enough talent in NE pool but you need to take care of your backyard. If you're saying there's not enough NE elite talent on the Uconn roster that's a different discussion and I would agree with you. Also, let's see what happens when pandemic/portal impact flushes out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I responded to this comment of yours: " I agree w/ both the responses here regarding NE players and some legit talent up here, however, there’s not enough." I disagree with that comment and gave you examples. Also will give you MacKenzie from Wallingford who went to Fordham and now playing minor league ball. There's more than enough talent in NE but you need to take care of your backyard as a first priority.
“Blue Chip” recruits in baseball are difficult to define for me because of the way the draft works. You would have to consider guys like Frank Mozzicato a “blue chip” recruit if he is going top 10 in the draft but recruiting him didn’t really help the team because he was too highly regarded.

Consider that there were over 100 high schoolers drafted this year. Isn’t the top 100 basically the “blue chip” guys? By that standard there are almost none of the guys of that standard available to any college baseball team, not just UConn.

That’s the beauty of sports and being fans…we can agree to disagree. I don’t believe there’s enough here consistently to maintain the type of rosters needed to have a realistic chance at a national championship. There was not and has never been enough to drive the basketball programs or football…baseball is no exception. You need to recruit nationally. I wholeheartedly agree w/ ur point of you gotta take care of ur own backyard first. It’s not an Identity change, is getting the pieces more regularly to get u to the next phase.

Reaction Score
That’s the beauty of sports and being fans…we can agree to disagree. I don’t believe there’s enough here consistently to maintain the type of rosters needed to have a realistic chance at a national championship. There was not and has never been enough to drive the basketball programs or football…baseball is no exception. You need to recruit nationally. I wholeheartedly agree w/ ur point of you gotta take care of ur own backyard first. It’s not an Identity change, is getting the pieces more regularly to get u to the next phase.
I'm not saying don't recruit nationally. Don't twist it. What I am saying is: 1) The foundation of the roster needs to be from the NE and include high-end talent that plays college bb (WIP and needs to get better) and 2) supplement the roster with surgical recruiting outside the NE (nationally). What are the %s? To me "foundation" is somewhere >50%. Is it 70/30? 60/40? Who knows I'm not a recruiting coordinator. But the foundation needs to be from NE.

Reaction Score
High end NE talent from where? If they can’t get the top players in CT and their already getting other NE states top talent, then that leaves them at a stalemate. The Massachusetts’ top level talent aren’t going to UConn if they play college ball in the northeast. They’re just not. That’s OK. You don’t need to focus on where that talent comes from but rather the talent of that level is signing his letter of intent w/ UConn, regardless of where they are from. I’m not a recruiting coordinator myself, by any means, but I believe the talent u watched personally in Gainesville is out there in the hs ranks and w/out the transfer portal. They don’t need to be sitting on a bench, transferring to another powerhouse program only to get lost in the mix again. They can start their careers w/ UConn and be a difference making talent here. The odds of consistently finding that in New England, I can’t agree with.

Reaction Score
High end NE talent from where? If they can’t get the top players in CT and their already getting other NE states top talent, then that leaves them at a stalemate. The Massachusetts’ top level talent aren’t going to UConn if they play college ball in the northeast. They’re just not. That’s OK. You don’t need to focus on where that talent comes from but rather the talent of that level is signing his letter of intent w/ UConn, regardless of where they are from. I’m not a recruiting coordinator myself, by any means, but I believe the talent u watched personally in Gainesville is out there in the hs ranks and w/out the transfer portal. They don’t need to be sitting on a bench, transferring to another powerhouse program only to get lost in the mix again. They can start their careers w/ UConn and be a difference making talent here. The odds of consistently finding that in New England, I can’t agree with.
We can agree to disagree on the talent level in the NE. I gave you a handful of examples. I'd like them to keep improving in the NE (building the brand long-term), then leverage the brand and branch out more nationally. I don't think you accept the status quo and try to go down South and hope it turns out differently. That's a tough slog. Why is it tough? Because there are lower-tier schools in the South that offer the same recruiting pitch as you suggest but with better weather and equivalent facilities. I have no clue as to how much, if any effort they put in down there. I would think if the South (for example) was a compelling opportunity they would be down there taking action. Penders doesn't strike me as the type who isn't open to course correction. Seems open to change. I would be surgical in the South. Recruit guys who show interest, have a coaching or family connection, etc. Sans Ellisen and Simmons I think the rest of the roster is from NE. Someone will correct me if that is wrong. I just think that they can improve off that baseline as they spawn out nationally. I could be completely wrong here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coach Penders has said more than once in past interviews in regards to recruiting that if UConn baseball were to get the best Connecticut players to go to UConn rather then go to other schools, he would definitely like UConn's chances of making it to Omaha in the College World Series.

Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree on the talent level in the NE. I gave you a handful of examples. I'd like them to keep improving in the NE (building the brand long-term), then leverage the brand and branch out more nationally. I don't think you accept the status quo and try to go down South and hope it turns out differently. That's a tough slog. Why is it tough? Because there are lower-tier schools in the South that offer the same recruiting pitch as you suggest but with better weather and equivalent facilities. I have no clue as to how much, if any effort they put in down there. I would think if the South (for example) was a compelling opportunity they would be down there taking action. Penders doesn't strike me as the type who isn't open to course correction. Seems open to change. I would be surgical in the South. Recruit guys who show interest, have a coaching or family connection, etc. Sans Ellisen and Simmons I think the rest of the roster is from NE. Someone will correct me if that is wrong. I just think that they can improve off that baseline as they spawn out nationally. I could be completely wrong here.

No, I think you are right here. Surgical recruiting was my point, hence, the 1-2 top tier arms or bats I feel that hold them back from getting to that “national brand” or status as an elite national program…there is no recruiting pitch I was speaking of, rather the ability and draw to a program in the northeast by an SEC lifer shouldn’t be an outlier or unreasonable expectation. I’m referring to a couple top tier guys that move the needle that happen to be from the south. If they happen to be from out west, who cares. Wherever those reside, find a way to get em. Even 2 guys a recruiting cycle. To go down south and recruit against a southern miss or coastal Carolina using weather n opportunity as primary pitch, would be a waste. It is a legit option for a top tier level talent to sign out of hs, they simply don’t know it. The facilities, weather all matter, but only so much. If your considering UConn in the slightest, those likely aren’t gonna sway a recruit either way. Just my opinion. To your point, finding an “ in” in outta state recruiting is always important.

Reaction Score
Coach Penders has said more than once in past interviews in regards to recruiting that if UConn baseball were to get the best Connecticut players to go to UConn rather then go to other schools, he would definitely like UConn's chances of making it to Omaha in the College World Series.

And if UConn gets the same talent level player as those that their missing out on in CT, they can make up for and exceed those levels in return recruiting elsewhere. Getting the CT talent is always first. Can’t rely on it. Not yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom