UConn and WBB futures from an eager competitor's view | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn and WBB futures from an eager competitor's view

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't think UCONN loses more than 3 games next year, and I'm iffy on that. Games will be closer than comfort for a lot of you.. but I admire Geno's coaching ability that much that I'm confident he won't be out-coached anymore than that... and even in those losses it probably won't be his coaching.. It'll probably be from teams like Baylor and Notre Dame that are simply going to be much more talented next year.
Thanks for the confidence. Some of the UConn fans here are thinking 5-10 losses. Some are thinking far fewer. I want to see the schedule, but, at most, I see 2 out of conference and 1 in the NCAA tourney. Yes, our MOV will be down from 39. To 32.

Reaction Score
First, I've always admired greatness and hate to see it fall so I hope I don't offend anyone with my post and I'm not predicting UConn's fall. 99% of what I'm writing you already know, but it does not hurt to hear it from the competition's fans, especially non-hostile type, and your greatness does breed a lot of stupid hostile competitive fans.

I'm on Boneyard quite often solely because I admire the unmatched knowledge and dedication of Huskie wbb fans, dedication notably so many wbb fan bases in the country are trying to match.

Now that I've buttered you up, but with truth, here comes the part you may not take to well. :(

I don't see UConn faltering much from the quality of programs you've had for some 20+ years. Yet, largely due to your own success, you've stroked a lot of fire into aspiring programs. There's now a multiplying number who have begun to put together the right combinations of fan base, coaching, facilities and athletic department backing, UConn will not be able to dominate as they have in the past.

There's definitely a better quality of coach in wbb out there than there was just ten years ago and some college ADs willing to properly compensate them to assure they get the max from these coaches. I have no records for high school participation, but I cannot help but believe there's an overall better quality of high school players coming into the college game today than ten years ago. UConn can't keep them all. The women are now playing in the men's home gyms, adding to spurring the interest of their fans. More men's fans are learning to accept the women's game and at an accelerated pace. This again continues to breed competition nationwide UConn has never faced.

One of our Cardinal fans recently sparked some controversy here over your lack of being in a P-5 conference, at the same time blasting the AAC. I don't know if UConn has suffered from TV appearances since the Big East broke up. I rather doubt it. Yet, one can only wonder how many more times TV would grab at UConn if they were playing in the ACC, Big Ten or that dreaded SEC. ;) Will the UConn name and Aurie be able to maintain over years remaining in the AAC? This is one fan who says there will be some damage over time, but UConn is still UConn and Aurie is still Aurie.

Aurie is still Aurie? Yes, very fit, but then aging Aurie. Will the continued upstart programs budding around UConn catch up with Aurie by the time he hangs it up and will UConn, less Aurie, further realize the competition? I doubt Aurie is going anywhere for another five or so years so we'll put that one off to another time. And, yes it's true, as long as Aurie is at UConn there is no way to honestly predict ANY demise in the UConn program. But, one thing is certain and I honestly believe this. The days of blowing out other top 10 programs consistently by 20 and 30+ points is very likely more in UConn's past. Competition has arrived and is arriving UConn has not seen as often in the past. Winning six games in NCAA play against the competition year after year will NOT be as easy. Oh, and can I add? Stewie is gone next month.

And for the Huskie poster who named five up and coming schools UConn must be concerned about in the furture, you forgot the one I think might be your biggest concern..Louisville. :)

Recruiting the super-supreme transcendent player and surrounding that player with extremely talented players is the recipe. Its a myth UCONN wipes out everyone. ND last year and MD this year were breathing down UCONN's back. But they wipe out a ton of teams. However if they get "the Stewart" and "MoJeff," with "the KML" the year prior, and along with "theTuck "etc- they will STILL wipe out many, many teams. The super-supreme transcendent player means a ton. And if UCONN gets that player, please explain why you think the major networks wouldn't want to show off that player?

You think they are going to hide the best player in wcbb? For what? Why?

I do agree the AAC is a problem. And eventually time will catch up especially if we can't get into a top-tier conference. It's okay though. I have been fortunate to witness UCONN take the Big East into the Best Conference while UCONN does things which history will look back upon with a certain amount of awe - even if duplicated or exceeded some day. I saw THE GREATEST EVER at this point in time. Throw in what the UCONN men have done and it's just unreal. And it's unreal that UCONN keeps getting passed over for a power conference. IMO the ACC and B1G are missing out. But can't do nothing about that. The biggest "baseball parks" aren't always the best. There's something special about good ole Storrs CT.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I am actually looking forward (in a way) to watching UConn play some games next year where the other team will have more raw talent on the floor than they do.

If Geno can win a National Championship next season (and Olympic Gold) then he is the Coach of the Millennium
With or w/o Morgan, a very talented bunch but w/o the complete domination of a Stewie or Moriah.
I'm really looking forward to see what rabbits he pulls out of a hat.

Reaction Score
Well, I got some replies. I did not read where I predicted any UConn "demise". I thought I was very respectful of the Huskie wbb program, but I'll summarize it a bit here.
- I think you guys have won 9 of the last 15 championships. You won't win 9 of the next 15 primarily because Geno won't be here another 15 years.
-There will be added competition not experienced by UConn in the past 15 years. Blowouts of other top ten contenders will not be on the level they've been in recent years.
-UConn will remain the team to beat for the national championship, but Vegas will not get near the play on UConn it got each year the past 15 years.
-Blowing the Louisville Cardinals off the floor in any regular season matches or in national championship games will be much more difficult than the past. UConn fans will learn to respect the man in the plaid shirts and his teams. :)

I think Walsh is a great coach and running a tremendous program. But there will be no reason to "respect him more" if UCONN gets the supreme recruit and Jeff continuously ducks UCONN in the regular season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dawn will not tolerate "chucking" and I doubt Davis continues to be a chucker next season. She won't need to be and that was primarily the reason she ended up at SC.. she wanted to be around players with similar talent that could carry the load offensively. She carried Georgia Tech offensively, so she had to be a "chucker".

Davis just needs to be an offensive threat. She doesn't need to carry us next year, this will be Wilson's team. Davis will probably be our third offensive option next year, after Wilson, Coates... she (Gray as well) just needs to be there for the kickout to knock down threes, hit the midrange jumper or attack the basket. I expect both her and Gray's efficiency to increase next year.

Dawn certainly won't tolerate what Mechelle Joseph tolerated but I'm not sure when this "she had to be a chucker" narrative started. I didn't hear about it until after she announced her transfer to SC.

What I remember about Davis is that she was a very undisciplined player who chose to be a chucker even when, particularly as a sophomore, she had teammates who made a higher % of their shots. Some say she chucked because her mother told her to chuck. Last year Davis took 235 three-pointers and made 29% of them. By comparison, KML, who made 49% of her 3s, took 248. Maybe her coach told her to chuck too. I don't know. I do know that in her 2 years at Tech she averaged 104 turnovers compared to 44 assists. She exceeded 100 fouls in each of those seasons and fouled out a combined 12 times. Many Tech fans remember her last game as a yellow jacket: 2-7 shooting, 5 turnovers, 5 fouls and she accomplished all that in 18 minutes. She had checked out by then.

Dawn has work to do.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Dawn will not tolerate "chucking" and I doubt Davis continues to be a chucker next season. She won't need to be and that was primarily the reason she ended up at SC.. she wanted to be around players with similar talent that could carry the load offensively. She carried Georgia Tech offensively, so she had to be a "chucker".

Davis just needs to be an offensive threat. She doesn't need to carry us next year, this will be Wilson's team. Davis will probably be our third offensive option next year, after Wilson, Coates... she (Gray as well) just needs to be there for the kickout to knock down threes, hit the midrange jumper or attack the basket. I expect both her and Gray's efficiency to increase next year.

I have watched Davis and there is no comparison to Diamond. IMO, Davis is a better player due to her strength. I would take her over Diamond any day of the week.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks for the confidence. Some of the UConn fans here are thinking 5-10 losses. Some are thinking far fewer. I want to see the schedule, but, at most, I see 2 out of conference and 1 in the NCAA tourney. Yes, our MOV will be down from 39. To 32.

Next season's non-conference schedule is set. The number of conference games will drop from 18 to 16 games so that means 2 additional non-conference games. The opponents will be:

@ND
SC
Baylor
Texas (Mohegan)
@Maryland
Ohio State
Dayton
Depaul
@LSU
@Nebraska
@Florida State
@Kansas State
Chattanooga

Pretty daunting.

BTW, Geno said earlier this week that the key to next year's team could be Gabby Williams. If she makes as much progress in her junior year as she did in her sophomore year, he thinks next year's team will be really, really good.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Next season's non-conference schedule is set. The number of conference games will drop from 18 to 16 games so that means 2 additional non-conference games. The opponents will be:

@ND
SC
Baylor
Texas (Mohegan)
@Maryland
Ohio State
Dayton
Depaul
@LSU
@Nebraska
@Florida State
@Kansas State
Chattanooga

Pretty daunting.

BTW, Geno said earlier this week that the key to next year's team could be Gabby Williams. If she makes as much progress in her junior year as she did in her sophomore year, he thinks next year's team will be really, really good.

That has gotta be the most impressive nonconference slate ever assembled. Tennessee used to wow people with their nonconference SOS, but this is amazing: all three of this year's fellow #1 seeds, two #2 seeds, and a #3 seed, plus four more NCAA tournament teams. The only non-tournament teams from this year are Dayton, LSU and Nebraska, each of which made the tournament in 2015 (and Dayton was an elite-8 team).

Reaction Score
I have watched Davis and there is no comparison to Diamond. IMO, Davis is a better player due to her strength. I would take her over Diamond any day of the week.
If Brenda had DD she would have turned her into a Marissa Coleman/Alyssa Thomas hybrid. Look at what Brenda did with SWK and DD has way more talent than SWK. I think the LV coach really screwed up with her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If Brenda had DD she would have turned her into a Marissa Coleman/Alyssa Thomas hybrid. Look at what Brenda did with SWK and DD has way more talent than SWK. I think the LV coach really screwed up with her.
I disagree - I don't think DD is that good a shooter, and at this point very few players really change their shooting percentages that much - they can have an anomalous year and I suspect that is the case for SWK this year, but they don't go from career 29% or worse 3 point shooting to 40% let alone 50%. Brenda may have been able to reign in DD's excesses, and with that she might move from 40% to 45% or even 50% overall shooting, but I doubt the three point shooting would change even that much.

Reaction Score
I disagree - I don't think DD is that good a shooter, and at this point very few players really change their shooting percentages that much - they can have an anomalous year and I suspect that is the case for SWK this year, but they don't go from career 29% or worse 3 point shooting to 40% let alone 50%. Brenda may have been able to reign in DD's excesses, and with that she might move from 40% to 45% or even 50% overall shooting, but I doubt the three point shooting would change even that much.

It's completely possible for her to become a better shooter. Just off the top of head look at these two recent UConn players... Faris freshman year 27% > senior year 41.5%. Jefferson freshman year 26.6% > junior year 49.6%

Reaction Score
I've paid nothing but the highest respect for Geno, stating UConn would remain the national championship favorite until he retires. No where did I or any fool suggest anyone was going overtake Geno. I said it's going to be more competitive for him and Jeff Walz's program deserves respect as one of those who will be part of the challenge. I said absolutely nothing about Jeff Walz "taking over the WBB world"

If Walzie is such a great coach why does he have to wait until Aurie's demise to take over the WBB world? ;)

Reaction Score
Nice post, thanks. I think most here realize two things. First, Geno won't coach forever and second, true genius doesn't walk through the door very often. So I will be concerned when he finally retires because he is the truest genius this game has ever seen. I have no idea how to go about replacing him.

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I am actually looking forward (in a way) to watching UConn play some games next year where the other team will have more raw talent on the floor than they do. That will be the acid test of whether the coaching, teamwork, scouting, etc. for which UConn is justly famous will be enough to overcome the possibly superior talent of a few other teams. I think that it many cases it will be, but there will probably be a few losses to make things interesting. Next year, they might even have to leave New England for the NCAA Regionals.

This morning on ESPN, Rebecca was doing her WCBB "Barack-etology" interview with our President. Other than his picking Baylor to lose to FSU, the most interesting observation from that meeting is that for 5 of the 7 years that he has been in office, the UConn women's team has been visiting him as National Champions, and most people including him think that will soon become 6 of 8. (He could only remember one of the two "other" teams that visited him during his Presidency.)

And (not coincidentally) those two years (2011 and 2012) were the only two years when UConn did not clearly have the best talent in the land. 2011 was Maya's senior year, and both Tina and Renee had graduated. She had young (though promising) teammates like Stef, Tiffany, and Kelly, and they ALMOST beat ND in the National Semifinal, but not quite. The next year (2012) was the only post-Maya, pre-Stewie year, and again the talent as below its customary level but still good enough to ALMOST beat ND in that same game. If they had beaten ND in either year, they probably would not have won the championship game -- ND did not, in either year.

Even without Morgan next year, I think UConn might be able to win some of its games against more talented teams, and that (especially if it ends in an NC) will be a bigger feather in Geno's cap than any single NC that he has won to date.
If EDD stayed Connecticut would be playing for its 8th straight trip to the White House!

Reaction Score
Nice post, thanks. I think most here realize two things. First, Geno won't coach forever and second, true genius doesn't walk through the door very often. So I will be concerned when he finally retires because he is the truest genius this game has ever seen. I have no idea how to go about replacing him.
IMO Geno will not let that happen because of what is happening with Tennessee.

Reaction Score

Thing is, he and his staff have put an extremely effective system into place and I have a hard time believing that whoever follows him would choose to deviate from that system. It's an eventuality, unless he dies in his tie-less shirtsleeves, that the man will retire. As meticulous as the planning for games has been for decades now it's really hard to believe that he will just up and decide to call it a day without any preparations being made for it.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
It's completely possible for her to become a better shooter. Just off the top of head look at these two recent UConn players... Faris freshman year 27% > senior year 41.5%. Jefferson freshman year 26.6% > junior year 49.6%
Shooting percentage has as much to do, if not more than with shot selection as it does with shooting practice.

Reaction Score
4evercard, I can appreciate some opposing fans posting here as most have nowhere else to go. Kind of like taking in the homeless. :) Their home boards or chat rooms confuse IQ with RPI and the few like yourself seek higher grounds. ;) Having said that, your opening and buttering up statement was fine but the content of your statement was basically common sense that most here already know.
Now to why I reply.... BEAKBREATH his name is GENO! Many programs are gaining ground because he openly shares with anyone who cares to listen, some have followed suit others will never get it. Like them or not we do not refer to other coaches with names that sound like baby talk or a foreign word for something in a babies diaper. I simply can't lower myself to call your coach Jeffy or as someone else posted Waltzie, although Muffy is Muffy. :rolleyes: What next, you will realize besides Jeffy that Dawny & Fresee are getting it done? On a side note any idea what has happened to Stringy and her program? :D

Reaction Score
In my 71+ years as a Card fan I've never been called, "beakbreath". :) But, being called anything breath takes me back a few years. :)

Walz actually asked Coach Auriamma :) if he could attend one of his practices about three or so years back as was reported by our newspaper.

So you read far enough into my post to note, "most here already know the content of my statement is common knowledge" of those with high WBB IQ willing to listen the lower beings?

Then I'll add Coach Auriamma is no God, though perhaps in his game, close. And though Husky WBB deserves its current palace among all the homeless, Husky fans should as you've suggested, maintain a new awareness and respect in the post Ms. Stewart years of all those aspiring to become a challenger to the Husky dominance. BTW, Coach Walz is in his ninth year of learning as a head coach. Was Coach Auriamma an instant success?

Reaction Score
Also, Woof, thank you for appreciating my purpose for jumping on The Boneyard here and there. I'll not deny I'm not seeking information from those having a greater appreciation and knowledge of WBB.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In my 71+ years as a Card fan I've never been called, "beakbreath". :) But, being called anything breath takes me back a few years. :)

Walz actually asked Coach Auriamma :) if he could attend one of his practices about three or so years back as was reported by our newspaper.

So you read far enough into my post to note, "most here already know the content of my statement is common knowledge" of those with high WBB IQ willing to listen the lower beings?

Then I'll add Coach Auriamma is no God, though perhaps in his game, close. And though Husky WBB deserves its current palace among all the homeless, Husky fans should as you've suggested, maintain a new awareness and respect in the post Ms. Stewart years of all those aspiring to become a challenger to the Husky dominance. BTW, Coach Walz is in his ninth year of learning as a head coach. Was Coach Auriamma an instant success?
He actually asked if he and his whole team could attend a practice and Geno said yes. It was the first year Walz was coaching there, and Uconn was spending an extra day in town because their next game was DePaul and they were making a three legged trip. Walz was trying to change the culture and he felt the whole team could benefit by watching how a really good team ran practice.

Not sure how this thread seems to wobble between respect and sniping - had no issue with the OP nor with statements since. I think Walz is a great game coach, he appears to be getting top quality recruits now which he wasn't earlier, and Louisville looks like it is a team that will be good for the foreseeable future. Will he win a NC - not an easy nut to crack, but he has as good a chance as most of the obvious contenders.

Reaction Score
Thing is, he and his staff have put an extremely effective system into place and I have a hard time believing that whoever follows him would choose to deviate from that system. It's an eventuality, unless he dies in his tie-less shirtsleeves, that the man will retire. As meticulous as the planning for games has been for decades now it's really hard to believe that he will just up and decide to call it a day without any preparations being made for it.
I have no doubt you are correct that planning and preparations are and will continue to be made. I don't, however, believe you can plan genius, either arriving or departing. In the insurance business (I'm not in the insurance business so anyone who is should feel free to correct me) it's called an "Act of God," i.e., that for which humans, no matter how careful, can't plan.

Once, the team I was on needed to deliver a product (being developed at a hotel) by a time certain. The night before the scheduled delivery, as some members were tasked with putting the finishing touches on the product, others were dispatched to rental car company to secure a car. A reservation had been made for the following day but a concern arose: What if the location was out of cars when we arrived? Solution: Get one a day ahead. So a car was secured and parked in the hotel parking garage. As the team returned to the hotel after dinner, there were firetrucks around the hotel. No problem we were told, just an electrical fire, all rooms were fine. The next day as we went to get the car we were told there was a problem. The electrical had been in the parking garage elevator and our car was on the fifth floor. Planning and preparations won't cover everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom