UConn and WBB futures from an eager competitor's view | The Boneyard

UConn and WBB futures from an eager competitor's view

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First, I've always admired greatness and hate to see it fall so I hope I don't offend anyone with my post and I'm not predicting UConn's fall. 99% of what I'm writing you already know, but it does not hurt to hear it from the competition's fans, especially non-hostile type, and your greatness does breed a lot of stupid hostile competitive fans.

I'm on Boneyard quite often solely because I admire the unmatched knowledge and dedication of Huskie wbb fans, dedication notably so many wbb fan bases in the country are trying to match.

Now that I've buttered you up, but with truth, here comes the part you may not take to well. :(

I don't see UConn faltering much from the quality of programs you've had for some 20+ years. Yet, largely due to your own success, you've stroked a lot of fire into aspiring programs. There's now a multiplying number who have begun to put together the right combinations of fan base, coaching, facilities and athletic department backing, UConn will not be able to dominate as they have in the past.

There's definitely a better quality of coach in wbb out there than there was just ten years ago and some college ADs willing to properly compensate them to assure they get the max from these coaches. I have no records for high school participation, but I cannot help but believe there's an overall better quality of high school players coming into the college game today than ten years ago. UConn can't keep them all. The women are now playing in the men's home gyms, adding to spurring the interest of their fans. More men's fans are learning to accept the women's game and at an accelerated pace. This again continues to breed competition nationwide UConn has never faced.

One of our Cardinal fans recently sparked some controversy here over your lack of being in a P-5 conference, at the same time blasting the AAC. I don't know if UConn has suffered from TV appearances since the Big East broke up. I rather doubt it. Yet, one can only wonder how many more times TV would grab at UConn if they were playing in the ACC, Big Ten or that dreaded SEC. ;) Will the UConn name and Aurie be able to maintain over years remaining in the AAC? This is one fan who says there will be some damage over time, but UConn is still UConn and Aurie is still Aurie.

Aurie is still Aurie? Yes, very fit, but then aging Aurie. Will the continued upstart programs budding around UConn catch up with Aurie by the time he hangs it up and will UConn, less Aurie, further realize the competition? I doubt Aurie is going anywhere for another five or so years so we'll put that one off to another time. And, yes it's true, as long as Aurie is at UConn there is no way to honestly predict ANY demise in the UConn program. But, one thing is certain and I honestly believe this. The days of blowing out other top 10 programs consistently by 20 and 30+ points is very likely more in UConn's past. Competition has arrived and is arriving UConn has not seen as often in the past. Winning six games in NCAA play against the competition year after year will NOT be as easy. Oh, and can I add? Stewie is gone next month.

And for the Huskie poster who named five up and coming schools UConn must be concerned about in the furture, you forgot the one I think might be your biggest concern.......Louisville. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stewie is gone next month, Maya has been gone for 5 years now, DT for 13 years & CP has been gone from TN for 8 years. So more than anything else WCBB and the ability to dominate and win Championship is dependent on transcendent players. All other things being equal my guess is that more of these transcendent players will make their way to Storrs in the next few years that will make their way to Louisville or any other WCBB destination. Below the level of the transcendent players are those extremely good players willing to sacrifice individual stats for the accomplishment. Please take this with all the arrogance & disrespect intended- no other school besides UCONN has these players in a pipeline or on the current roster. Transcendent players + extremely good unselfish players + UCONN system ( which includes Geno certainly) is an unbeatable combination which is impossible to duplicate. If the margin of victories shrink as you are predicting it will be because one of these pillars like (Stewie leaving next month) is missing. Louisville =UCONN's biggest concern? Just don't see that happening!

Reaction Score
The days of blowing out other top 10 programs consistently by 20 and 30+ points is very likely more in UConn's past.

...schools UConn must be concerned about in the furture, you forgot the one I think might be your biggest concern..Louisville. :)
Best wishes in your regional matchup with Baylor - I truly hope that we meet up in the FF so that your Cards can demonstrate why we should have this big concern. :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
4evercard - nothing really to disagree with in your thoughtful post and very polite post. (Except please use Geno, or Auriemma - hate the abbreviation to Aurie! :(:D)

I agree completely that Pat with eight and Geno with 10 and counting will probably never be challenge in terms of NCs, just like Wooden's 10 in a similar developmental stage of men's basketball will never be challenged. The competition is getting better and the number of good programs taking women's basketball seriously is increasing as is the coaching and player talent.

And yes, leaving Jeff and Louisville out of the rising programs is an omission - they are certainly that.

On the TV - I doubt Uconn would receive more ESPN/CBSS national coverage in any P5 than they already have or are likely to continue to get in the AAC - they consistently schedule the other great programs OOC and are willing to schedule those games during conference play where many of the other programs have limited those 'Big' game schedules. And having SNY carry their other games has even increased the national footprint especially with the SNY/ESPN streaming agreement. In general the national broadcasters try to 'spread the wealth' so 5 games +/- is about the maximum for any one team per year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I enjoy the perspective of other fans. While I don't think UCONN will be the favorite to win it all next year, I do think we make the FF and possibly the NC game. However, I don't think L'ville will even be one of the top 5 teams next year.

ND
Baylor
UCONN
SC
Maryland

and then probably L'ville. And that's probably the order I'd rank the teams preseason. Baylor loses the least, UCONN loses the most. I think ND brings in the most top players (Patberg back from injury and 2 top 10 kids as well). SC brings in 2 excellent transfers, but I'm not convinced Davis will be addition by subtraction, or subtraction by addition. She's a chucker like Deshields. And not a great scorer if she doesn't get 20 shots a game.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Whoa! Some confidence from the cardinals! I like it! Post more... ;)

Seriously though, UCONN is the leader.. the rest are just following, some are following better than others. I think this year is UCONN's to lose.. but I'm with the OP, the future will hopefully be far more competitive. I'm looking forward to next season when there will be 7 or 8 teams in the top 10 of relatively similar talent level that can win the title.

As long as Geno is there UCONN will continue to be a great team, his system is that good and it changes yearly, but as more of that "transcendent talent" continues spreading itself out the gap will continue to close until hopefully there is no more gap.

I'm just hoping Dawn can keep us in that group of elites!

Reaction Score
First, I've always admired greatness and hate to see it fall so I hope I don't offend anyone with my post and I'm not predicting UConn's fall. 99% of what I'm writing you already know, but it does not hurt to hear it from the competition's fans, especially non-hostile type, and your greatness does breed a lot of stupid hostile competitive fans.

I'm on Boneyard quite often solely because I admire the unmatched knowledge and dedication of Huskie wbb fans, dedication notably so many wbb fan bases in the country are trying to match.

Now that I've buttered you up, but with truth, here comes the part you may not take to well. :(

I don't see UConn faltering much from the quality of programs you've had for some 20+ years. Yet, largely due to your own success, you've stroked a lot of fire into aspiring programs. There's now a multiplying number who have begun to put together the right combinations of fan base, coaching, facilities and athletic department backing, UConn will not be able to dominate as they have in the past.

There's definitely a better quality of coach in wbb out there than there was just ten years ago and some college ADs willing to properly compensate them to assure they get the max from these coaches. I have no records for high school participation, but I cannot help but believe there's an overall better quality of high school players coming into the college game today than ten years ago. UConn can't keep them all. The women are now playing in the men's home gyms, adding to spurring the interest of their fans. More men's fans are learning to accept the women's game and at an accelerated pace. This again continues to breed competition nationwide UConn has never faced.

One of our Cardinal fans recently sparked some controversy here over your lack of being in a P-5 conference, at the same time blasting the AAC. I don't know if UConn has suffered from TV appearances since the Big East broke up. I rather doubt it. Yet, one can only wonder how many more times TV would grab at UConn if they were playing in the ACC, Big Ten or that dreaded SEC. ;) Will the UConn name and Aurie be able to maintain over years remaining in the AAC? This is one fan who says there will be some damage over time, but UConn is still UConn and Aurie is still Aurie.

Aurie is still Aurie? Yes, very fit, but then aging Aurie. Will the continued upstart programs budding around UConn catch up with Aurie by the time he hangs it up and will UConn, less Aurie, further realize the competition? I doubt Aurie is going anywhere for another five or so years so we'll put that one off to another time. And, yes it's true, as long as Aurie is at UConn there is no way to honestly predict ANY demise in the UConn program. But, one thing is certain and I honestly believe this. The days of blowing out other top 10 programs consistently by 20 and 30+ points is very likely more in UConn's past. Competition has arrived and is arriving UConn has not seen as often in the past. Winning six games in NCAA play against the competition year after year will NOT be as easy. Oh, and can I add? Stewie is gone next month.

And for the Huskie poster who named five up and coming schools UConn must be concerned about in the furture, you forgot the one I think might be your biggest concern..Louisville. :)
Is there such a thing as ANY DEMISE. Demise means gone away and it isn't a gray area, it's a black and white type thing. Demise would suggest the program goes away entirely or at least has NO level of success after that point. Everyone here would agree that there are more and more talented kids coming out of high school yearly and there are more and more programs that are improving their coaching and their facilities, etc., etc! What has made the Huskies what they are is the expectations that the program has always had of their student athletes. You will have a level of talent, of course, but you will also come here not to display your own brilliance but dedicate yourself to the success of the team. You will discipline yourself to play every play as if it's for a national title and be as happy or happier if your play allows your teammate to excel at a given time and get "the headlines" for that moment in time. Your teammates success will be your success and vice versa. Attitude is not a bad word as long as it's a good attitude that we're talking about. We don't need a star, we need talented kids who want to blend in and make the players around you better. Never settle for good when we espouse GREAT. Other programs have often taken someone with great ability but an attitude that can be destructive in a team oriented game and UConn's staff makes every effort to walk away from anyone who thinks of their own success before the success of the team. Geno and the staff also really don't accept mental lapses and insure that their teams are always the most fit teams in the sport. You can see that Geno's team has a distinct advantage in the latter parts of games because of the fitness of their girls. It's because of these things that it's unlikely UConn will show any lapses or ANY DEMISE in the near future and as long as Geno and CD are leading this team.

Reaction Score
Doubt you'd be aware of all the times that Geno has spoken, ruefully at that, about how losing one or two might be to his team's advantage. About how he doesn't care about the runs, the strings of victories that seem almost inevitable now after years and years of them. I'm sure you'd be unaware of how many times fans leap to the Huskies defense when the tiresome and ever so predictable argument arises over how their dominance is bad for the game. Put up. Someone put up. And not just a stiff quarter or a tight half. Spend a few more hours on the track or in the gym or whatever it is you need to do to catch up. We're ever so tired of waiting for you. Oh, and don't talk about how beatable we are. That doesn't go over too well. Just bring your damn game, find the gas pedal and stand on it. Take it from us, it's a great way to go.

Reaction Score

And for the Huskie poster who named five up and coming schools UConn must be concerned about in the furture, you forgot the one I think might be your biggest concern..Louisville. :)
Is there such a thing as ANY DEMISE. Demise means gone away and it isn't a gray area, it's a black and white type thing. Demise would suggest the program goes away entirely or at least has NO level of success after that point. Everyone here would agree that there are more and more talented kids coming out of high school yearly and there are more and more programs that are improving their coaching and their facilities, etc., etc! What has made the Huskies what they are is the expectations that the program has always had of their student athletes. You will have a level of talent, of course, but you will also come here not to display your own brilliance but dedicate yourself to the success of the team. You will discipline yourself to play every play as if it's for a national title and be as happy or happier if your play allows your teammate to excel at a given time and get "the headlines" for that moment in time. Your teammates success will be your success and vice versa. Attitude is not a bad word as long as it's a good attitude that we're talking about. We don't need a star, we need talented kids who want to blend in and make the players around you better. Never settle for good when we espouse GREAT. Other programs have often taken someone with great ability but an attitude that can be destructive in a team oriented game and UConn's staff makes every effort to walk away from anyone who thinks of their own success before the success of the team. Geno and the staff also really don't accept mental lapses and insure that their teams are always the most fit teams in the sport. You can see that Geno's team has a distinct advantage in the latter parts of games because of the fitness of their girls. It's because of these things that it's unlikely UConn will show any lapses or ANY DEMISE in the near future and as long as Geno and CD are leading this team.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Honestly, that last sentence is the most relevant, in my view. It comes down to who has the transcendent talents. UConn *can* keep blowing out other top programs by 20+ consistently if they continue to recruit and develop the superstars of college basketball - people like Taurasi, Moore, and Stewart

Other teams like Maryland, Baylor, Louisville, Notre Dame, and South Carolina are stocked with excellent talent and I think all of those are well-coached teams. Maybe folks will quibble with SCAR, but I think Dawn will continue to grow as a coach over time. UConn, like those teams, will always have a rotation full of HS AAs, so matchups will come down to who has the talents that shine even among that elite company. For the better part of 4 years, Stewart has been that transcendent "best of the best" star. And Jefferson has been right behind her most of that time.

So, for me, the question that will define wcbb going forward is - Who is the next great star? Or maybe there isn't one and we will have an era of relative parity where each team has several excellent players but no one player breaks out as clearly being THE dominant player.

Reaction Score
UCONN is definitely losing alot, but us fans have heard the same song evey year. Women's basketball will never have a dominating team as now. Heard that with the BIG 4, Diana, Maya and now Stewie. I guess that's why games are played.

@noirwestern I couldn't have said it better myself!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I am actually looking forward (in a way) to watching UConn play some games next year where the other team will have more raw talent on the floor than they do. That will be the acid test of whether the coaching, teamwork, scouting, etc. for which UConn is justly famous will be enough to overcome the possibly superior talent of a few other teams. I think that it many cases it will be, but there will probably be a few losses to make things interesting. Next year, they might even have to leave New England for the NCAA Regionals.

This morning on ESPN, Rebecca was doing her WCBB "Barack-etology" interview with our President. Other than his picking Baylor to lose to FSU, the most interesting observation from that meeting is that for 5 of the 7 years that he has been in office, the UConn women's team has been visiting him as National Champions, and most people including him think that will soon become 6 of 8. (He could only remember one of the two "other" teams that visited him during his Presidency.)

And (not coincidentally) those two years (2011 and 2012) were the only two years when UConn did not clearly have the best talent in the land. 2011 was Maya's senior year, and both Tina and Renee had graduated. She had young (though promising) teammates like Stef, Tiffany, and Kelly, and they ALMOST beat ND in the National Semifinal, but not quite. The next year (2012) was the only post-Maya, pre-Stewie year, and again the talent as below its customary level but still good enough to ALMOST beat ND in that same game. If they had beaten ND in either year, they probably would not have won the championship game -- ND did not, in either year.

Even without Morgan next year, I think UConn might be able to win some of its games against more talented teams, and that (especially if it ends in an NC) will be a bigger feather in Geno's cap than any single NC that he has won to date.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SC brings in 2 excellent transfers, but I'm not convinced Davis will be addition by subtraction, or subtraction by addition. She's a chucker like Deshields. And not a great scorer if she doesn't get 20 shots a game.

Dawn will not tolerate "chucking" and I doubt Davis continues to be a chucker next season. She won't need to be and that was primarily the reason she ended up at SC.. she wanted to be around players with similar talent that could carry the load offensively. She carried Georgia Tech offensively, so she had to be a "chucker".

Davis just needs to be an offensive threat. She doesn't need to carry us next year, this will be Wilson's team. Davis will probably be our third offensive option next year, after Wilson, Coates... she (Gray as well) just needs to be there for the kickout to knock down threes, hit the midrange jumper or attack the basket. I expect both her and Gray's efficiency to increase next year.

Reaction Score
Dawn will not tolerate "chucking" and I doubt Davis continues to be a chucker next season. She won't need to be and that was primarily the reason she ended up at SC.. she wanted to be around players with similar talent that could carry the load offensively. She carried Georgia Tech offensively, so she had to be a "chucker".

Davis just needs to be an offensive threat. She doesn't need to carry us next year, this will be Wilson's team. Davis will probably be our third offensive option next year, after Wilson, Coates... she (Gray as well) just needs to be there for the kickout to knock down threes, hit the midrange jumper or attack the basket. I expect both her and Gray's efficiency to increase next year.
Sounds about right.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I refuse to think about next year. I'm living the right now and worrying about how everyone has penciled this one in. But if we do have this magnificent group pull it off, I will celebrate more than I ever have before and revel in the wonder of the moment.

Reaction Score
I enjoy the perspective of other fans. While I don't think UCONN will be the favorite to win it all next year, I do think we make the FF and possibly the NC game. However, I don't think L'ville will even be one of the top 5 teams next year.

ND
Baylor
UCONN
SC
Maryland

Where do you think Ohio State ranks. Also some fans think Texas will be really good next season. They way they got spanked by Baylor this season I will just have to take a wait and see attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good point. I would probably put Texas after Maryland, then maybe L'ville or OSU. Not sure tho. What do you think? I'd need to look and see what each team is losing and what they are adding...

Reaction Score
Wishful thinking on the part of a UL fan. Keep enjoying that Kool-aid. :cool:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

ND
Baylor
UCONN
SC
Maryland

and then probably L'ville. And that's probably the order I'd rank the teams preseason. Baylor loses the least, UCONN loses the most. I think ND brings in the most top players (Patberg back from injury and 2 top 10 kids as well). SC brings in 2 excellent transfers, but I'm not convinced Davis will be addition by subtraction, or subtraction by addition. She's a chucker like Deshields. And not a great scorer if she doesn't get 20 shots a game.
Perhaps. I think however some early losses by UConn next year to ranked teams will have the sharks sprinkling the water. They may indeed fall from the top ten. By February 2017 however the Husky's will be a different, feral, and hungry team. High octane and fun to watch.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Perhaps. I think however some early losses by UConn next year to ranked teams will have the sharks sprinkling the water. They may indeed fall from the top ten. By February 2017 however the Husky's will be a different, feral, and hungry team. High octane and fun to watch.
Um, UCONN is not Tennessee. And it took about 10 losses for TN to even fall out of the top 25. I hardly think losses to Baylor, Notre Dame, or SC would cause UCONN to fall out of the top 10. Even if they lost to every top 10 team they played, UCONN would still likely remain a top 10 ranked team. Unless they lose to some unranked team, or someone like USF, I just don't see it.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I don't think UCONN loses more than 3 games next year, and I'm iffy on that. Games will be closer than comfort for a lot of you.. but I admire Geno's coaching ability that much that I'm confident he won't be out-coached anymore than that... and even in those losses it probably won't be his coaching.. It'll probably be from teams like Baylor and Notre Dame that are simply going to be much more talented next year.

Reaction Score
Well, I got some replies. I did not read where I predicted any UConn "demise". I thought I was very respectful of the Huskie wbb program, but I'll summarize it a bit here.
- I think you guys have won 9 of the last 15 championships. You won't win 9 of the next 15 primarily because Geno won't be here another 15 years.
-There will be added competition not experienced by UConn in the past 15 years. Blowouts of other top ten contenders will not be on the level they've been in recent years.
-UConn will remain the team to beat for the national championship, but Vegas will not get near the play on UConn it got each year the past 15 years.
-Blowing the Louisville Cardinals off the floor in any regular season matches or in national championship games will be much more difficult than the past. UConn fans will learn to respect the man in the plaid shirts and his teams. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
4evercard - nothing really to disagree with in your thoughtful post and very polite post. (Except please use Geno, or Auriemma - hate the abbreviation to Aurie! :(:D)

I agree completely that Pat with eight and Geno with 10 and counting will probably never be challenge in terms of NCs, just like Wooden's 10 in a similar developmental stage of men's basketball will never be challenged. The competition is getting better and the number of good programs taking women's basketball seriously is increasing as is the coaching and player talent.

And yes, leaving Jeff and Louisville out of the rising programs is an omission - they are certainly that.

On the TV - I doubt Uconn would receive more ESPN/CBSS national coverage in any P5 than they already have or are likely to continue to get in the AAC - they consistently schedule the other great programs OOC and are willing to schedule those games during conference play where many of the other programs have limited those 'Big' game schedules. And having SNY carry their other games has even increased the national footprint especially with the SNY/ESPN streaming agreement. In general the national broadcasters try to 'spread the wealth' so 5 games +/- is about the maximum for any one team per year.
I tried to get my son to name his daughter Aurie Emma, but it didn't fly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom